• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
Do you understand that sexual assault victims feel incredible pressure to stay silent? To not "rock the boat?" To not "make a big deal out of it?" There are dozens of other ways people phrase it, but the point is the same.

Speaking about it publicly (if they feel that is right for them) is incredibly important to fight this social pressure. Asking victims to stay quiet and not speak about it publicly if they want to is enforcing the culture of victim silencing that already exists.
If anything, this girl coming forward publicly, and so soon after the assault, is rare and commendable. There is also a personal shame component to coming forward, it's common for women to have intense feelings of dirtiness after something like this, even if that's illogical. Trauma can be harsh and strange.

Doing something while drunk shouldn't get you off the hook, but being drunk does take you out of your right mind and make you do things you wouldn't. This kind of thing is why I personally don't drink and don't ever plan to. I'd hate to do or say negative things that I wouldn't if I were sober.

Anything you do drunk is something you'd do sober if you had enough confidence.

I've argued about this shit with GAF too many times, but being drunk is never an excuse. It doesn't fundamentally change who you are. If anything, alcohol just makes it easier to be yourself.

anothertech

I clearly said this should be handled with the parties involved and the police. Incredible though. I won't even begin to try to approach some of these replies. You guys have at him.
Well. You tried to say he wasn't violent, as if sexual violence wasn't as bad. Then You tried to say they should have kept it quiet, as if exposing this weren't important and the right thing to do. Then you said being drunk was an excuse.

Definitely incredible.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't understand why that one banned guy, and some other stragglers in this thread had such a hard time coming to terms with Hyuga being an awful person.

Judging from their excessive use of "kid" and "maturity" and the way they flaunted their age, I assume they think being a devil's advocate makes them above everybody, as though being emotionally distant ensures their position is rational.

There is no faster way to project to everyone that you are immature than to flaunt your maturity.

I mean if she decides not to involve the police, she could still talk about it to friends and family. Not everyone has the luxury of getting a huge community of 100K+ people involved, so I don't think saying she should do what 99% of other sexual assault victims have to do is really that controversial. I just don't know if putting this stuff on blast on Twitter is the best response. I am very cautious about being absolute in regards to stuff like that.

Actually trying to get a conviction for things like this is incredibly, incredibly hard, and grueling for the victim because people will go out of their way to dredge up things to try and ascertain hidden motives to try and discredit you. So I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to go forward with it.

But if she wants to keep it from happening again, all she can do is let the community as a whole know what happened to give them sufficient warning. Because we don't know if this is his first time doing this or trying this, and without someone having the courage to step forward and saying "This guy assaulted me. Watch out." the possibility of it happening again is higher because there were no consequences.

Maybe being called out for this will be enough for him to better himself and change whatever is within himself that led to him behaving this way, and if he doesn't change himself at least women within the community know they need to be careful around him.

jem0208

lol what? Alcohol is not a drug that makes you trip and "lose yourself" man. You can easily lose your inhibition, on an excessive amount all types of things can happen, but please, it's a liquid. You have control over how much you drink, and even at your drunkest you are still you.

General statement, how old are some of you making these ridiculous posts. Read more and educate yourself.
Alcohol is absolutely no excuse for molesting someone but it can definitely cause people to act out of character. I’ve seen it happen many times.

Doing something while drunk shouldn't get you off the hook, but being drunk does take you out of your right mind and make you do things you wouldn't. This kind of thing is why I personally don't drink and don't ever plan to. I'd hate to do or say negative things that I wouldn't if I were sober.

Drunken actions are sober thoughts

Yes, but this stuff keeps happening at geek culture events. "It happens everywhere" doesn't excuse the fact that the community is, like, half ok with this. People in the community are defending him. That's a god damn geek culture problem.

I'm inclined to agree with this.

Alcohol is absolutely no excuse for molesting someone but it can definitely cause people to act out of character. I’ve seen it happen many times.

Booze alone doesn't cause sexual assaults. I've been super piss drunk and the thought of just doing that didn't even occur to me. Not once.

And at the end of the day a person is responsible for their behavior when they drink. And after they're drunk.

I've argued about this shit with GAF too many times, but being drunk is never an excuse. It doesn't fundamentally change who you are. If anything, alcohol just makes it easier to be yourself.

It's yourself amplified to varying degrees with the social dam that usually keeps the flood of bullshit from brain straight to mouth in check removed. Depending on the amount I find myself to be amplified in various facets of myself. Moderate amount of booze = happy me; too much = obnoxiously happy/social me; WAY too much = rowdy, fighting me.

That being said, you gotta know when enough is enough, end of the fucking story. Nobody else made you do it.

That's why if someone drinks it's their responsibility to either keep an eye on how much they're drinking or have friends around to reel you in so things don't get that bad. There's a thing called self control, and this guy had absolutely none of it. He deserves whatever punishment comes his way.

Not buying this.

Not in this situation.

The guy did what he did because he is a scumbag.

Whether he's a scumbag or not, I doubt he would have done it if he weren't drunk. At the very least he'd keep his scumbag urges to himself out of the lack of confidence, which would still be better for everyone.

Whether he's a scumbag or not, I doubt he would have done it if he weren't drunk. At the very least he'd keep his scumbag urges to himself out of the lack of confidence, which would still be better for everyone.

I doubt he would have done it if he wasn't a sexually assaultive person. Booze or not.

Nairume

Banned
Not buying this.

Not in this situation.

The guy did what he did because he is a scumbag.
Yeah, like

It needs to be repeated: he was given a second chance to just go back to sleep on the floor (where the group would have presumably dealt with him in the morning when everybody was sobered up and he wouldn't be in danger of being kicked out on the streets in a strange city at night while drunk) while the victim was moved elsewhere, and he still went back and tried to sexually assault her again.

jem0208

It makes them act as though they had sufficient courage.
Why is it that people can’t give informed consent whilst drunk then? Alcohol does far more than just make people more confident.
Booze alone doesn't cause sexual assaults. I've been super piss drunk and the thought of just doing that didn't even occur to me. Not once.

And at the end of the day a person is responsible for their behavior when they drink. And after they're drunk.
I agree completely. Hence why I said alcohol is no excuse for molesting someone. I’m not defending the guy at all, I think it’s disgusting what he did. I’m saying that to a certain degree alcohol can affect people’s judgement and character.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah, like

It needs to be repeated: he was given a second chance to just go back to sleep on the floor (where the group would have presumably dealt with him in the morning when everybody was sobered up and he wouldn't be in danger of being kicked out on the streets in a strange city at night while drunk) while the victim was moved elsewhere, and he still went back and tried to sexually assault her again.
And that's the most damning thing I think.
I've known some friends who were "huggers" when shitface drunk. They'd be super grabby/ cuddly and overly-in-your-space persons, but that was with anyone and anything at hand, not directed to a person in particular (although I'd say the hand in the pants was going way farther and already a major red flag).. but following her to another bed clearly demonstrate intent imo.

I’ve been drunk to the point of not remembering what happened the night before quite a few times. Worst I’ve ever done was vomit in the sink...

Being drunk is no excuse for molesting someone.

It’s not that bad, usually indicative of a really good night..

It is? I don't know about all that now...

Krejlooc

Banned
Why is it that people can’t give informed consent whilst drunk then? Alcohol does far more than just make people more confident.

...precisely because it removes their inhibition. When people say it "makes you more confident" they mean it dulls your inhibition. You can't give informed consent because all the barriers in your head that are normally there to tell you no go away.

Shocking as it may be, not many people have to fight an urge to molest women.

notaskwid

To the people saying that alcohol turns people into someone else, what does that mean? Parasite take control? Possessed by a spirit? I've been drunk plenty of times, but I've never done anything that was "not me".

Trey

*lowered inhibitions

Confidence is not a direct or sole result of lowered inhibitions, and it's an important distinction to make because 'confidence' carries with it positive connotations. Not all (or many) things done while drunk can be called positive.

Lyng

The guy is 23. By now he should know how much he can drink.

As others have pointed out, yes you can black out and not remember the next day what you did, but alcohol will NEVER make you do stuff that you would never dream of doing sober.

Yes while beeing drunk lots of people end up having sex with their best friends, but thats allways because they have toyed with the thought while sober.

So this disgusting asshole molesting her is a pretty clear sign that he has thought / dreamed about that while beeing sober.
His lame ass excuse is disgustning. He should own up, stop drinking and start seeing a shrink.
He has serious issues. And I have a feeling this is not the first time he has done shit like this while drunk.

Really great that the girl spoke up. Must have taken a huge amount of courage. Hopefully her example, will give other victims the push to come out with these things.

Darryl

Banned
Do you understand that sexual assault victims feel incredible pressure to stay silent? To not "rock the boat?" To not "make a big deal out of it?" There are dozens of other ways people phrase it, but the point is the same.

Speaking about it publicly (if they feel that is right for them) is incredibly important to fight this social pressure. Asking victims to stay quiet and not speak about it publicly if they want to is enforcing the culture of victim silencing that already exists.

I agree. I am clearly an outlet here while you get on your soapbox. Now that you've started arguing with me, I'm trying to argue back and I say stuff I don't even mean just because people are antagonizing me with knee jerk reactions. I didn't come here to say she shouldn't speak out. I posted solely to be an empathetic counter weight. Someone has to care about the people no one cares about. This guy is going to have to live with a lot of pain now. I can and will care about that. It doesn't discredit the empathy anyone is feeling towards the girl. Sometimes everyone loses and it's ok for people to feel for everyone.

true...some people have one drink and turn into alcoholics, they just can't handle alcohol. It effects people differently, of course I'm in agreement. But for the most part, I would say it mostly just allows you to more easily do what you already desire.

People are shitty. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm pretty outgoing, I look for the good, try my hardest to not be judgemental, all that jazz...but really, ppl are just kinda shitty lol. I think it comes down to that more often than not unfortunately.

I agree. I am clearly an outlet here while you get on your soapbox. Now that you've started arguing with me, I'm trying to argue back and I say stuff I don't even mean just because people are antagonizing me with knee jerk reactions. I didn't come here to say she shouldn't speak out. I posted solely to be an empathetic counter weight. Someone has to care about the people no one cares about. This guy is going to have to live with a lot of pain now. I can and will care about that. It doesn't discredit the empathy anyone is feeling towards the girl. Sometimes everyone loses and it's ok for people to feel for everyone.

Even sexual predators?

Empathy is great, but you should reserve it for people who actually deserve it. Some people genuinely don't, through the result of their own actions.

Nairume

Banned
I mean

That's presumably the reason they didn't kick him out of the room the first time he sexually assaulted her.

Then he did it again.

Spman2099

To the people saying that alcohol turns people into someone else, what does that mean? Parasite take control? Possessed by a spirit? I've been drunk plenty of times, but I've never done anything that was "not me".

So, I don't think it makes sense to say that alcohol "turns people into someone else." You're right; that simply isn't the case. That being said, it does functionally shut down parts of your brain. It inhibits certain control mechanisms while flooding your brain with dopamine. This is why most people beyond a certain limit end up acting so very, very poorly.

That being said, you aren't transformed into a different person. You are still responsible for everything you do. If that seems scary to a person, that person shouldn't drink.

I personally choose not to for that reason. That being said, I sincerely doubt being drunk would lead me to molesting people (and if it did I would turn myself in).

I doubt he would have done it if he wasn't a sexually assaultive person. Booze or not.

Everyone has urges and thoughts they need to control, and often do control, which makes society in general not as chaotic as it could be. If he truly knew he had a problem as bad as that, he shouldn't be drinking, but also judging someone off of their pure thoughts and urges is a less valid/fair way (in my eyes) to dictate one's character as opposed to judging someone based on how they control their thoughts and urges. And the fact that being drunk makes it harder to control these urges makes this whole topic of drunken judgement a confusing anomaly to me, which is why I'd rather just avoid most of the time. (The topic and drinking myself) Though, this is something I was interested in discussing at some point, so here I am.

Not specifically talking about this dude by the way. Not familiar with him or his history.

Oh get the hell out of here with that. Had he not had such proclivities to begin with, he would not have done it. Drinking is never an excuse

Title is a bit misleading. She wasn't molested at EVO, but in a hotel after attending EVO. It's a stretch to call this video game related.

Surprised mods leave thread like this open.

udivision

Pretty sure getting drunk is a decision you make yourself. He wasn't drugged as far as we know. Therefore, he's still responsible.

You can do that without implying that she should stay silent and not speak publicly how he sexually assaulted her twice in one night. She can do that, and if she wants to, it's incredibly important for her to do so. It is very brave. And hopefully it reaches somebody that needs to hear about it.

Yes. Sometimes people who drunkenly grope their friends still need to be cared about.
Weird that people on the Internet feel the need to side with rapists. Being drunk does not absolve you of consequence. The fact that we have a justice system to handle things like this is all the care he deserves.

Yes. Sometimes people who drunkenly grope their friends still need to be cared about.
Hmmm...that's normal, it's also pretty normal to be mostly upset and disgusted with a person that's takes advantage of someone like this.

My sister is a person that would slap the shit out of you for breathing on her shoulder to heavily, but my wife is a very shy and generally non confrontational person. The thought of people like her being taken advantage of is pretty infuriating. I think for a while, disgust is the pretty normal thing to feel, if he goes on to have some type of horrible life, we can feel sorry for him then, way to early atm...

This happened literally right next to her boyfriend and the dude didn't get his ass whooped.

WTF

If Hyuga had been assaulted he could have used that in court against Vikki if they had taken further legal action against him.

It's ultimately for the best that they didn't hurt him. Vikki and her bf remain 100% in the moral and legal ground.

The people saying it was the alcohols fault are Disgusting. I've been drunk as a skunk and never became a Rapist. Dumbest logic I've ever seen.

Oh get the hell out of here with that. Had he not had such proclivities to begin with, he would not have done it. Drinking is never an excuse

You don't have to be so hostile, it is possible to have a civilized discussion about the matter. Also, look at my above post for more context on my viewpoint.

I also say in my first post it shouldn't excuse you from consequences.

Christine

Title is a bit misleading. She wasn't molested at EVO, but in a hotel after attending EVO. It's a stretch to call this video game related.

We do it so people like you can come in to split irrelevant hairs and try to deflect from discussion of the topic.

jem0208

It is? I don't know about all that now...

Usually is for me. It also usually means a really shit day after...

...precisely because it removes their inhibition. When people say it "makes you more confident" they mean it dulls your inhibition. You can't give informed consent because all the barriers in your head that are normally there to tell you no go away.

Shocking as it may be, not many people have to fight an urge to molest women.
That’s prettymuch my point. Alcohol does more than just make you more confident. It impairs your judgement, lowers your inhibitions, it makes some people more aggressive and some more emotional. It makes people completely disregard the consequences of their actions. It does a lot of things to the brain which we don’t fully understand.

Because of this it can, to a degree, make some people act out of character.

Now as I’ve already said that is 100% not an excuse for molesting someone. That guy is completely responsible for his actions. Don’t try to make it out that I’m claiming otherwise.

Ferr986

It's still totally gaming related. We shouldn't live in a bubble where this shouldn't be posted because someone feels like it's not gaming related.

Also mods clearly posted here and allowed it.

Darryl

Banned
You can do that without implying that she should stay silent and not speak publicly how he sexually assaulted her twice in one night. She can do that, and if she wants to, it's incredibly important for her to do so. It is very brave. And hopefully it reaches somebody that needs to hear about it.

I looked back at my posts and I never actually meant to say any of that. You inferred some ridiculous stuff from my first post, then I responded to say that I didnt say the stuff you inferred, and then we were arguing just to argue. I only said the stuff I said after my first post because you had put the words in my mouth and at that point I had gotten captivated by the knee jerk reactions and forgot what I was even posting for.

wildfire

Banned
I really don't get these arguments that he's fully responsible for his actions. The whole point of drinking is to reduce restraints. If you're doing something you normally wouldn't do that can gain a shred of sympathy.

I also don't get the argument he shouldn't get any punishment. We have laws for drunk driving because even though it is wildly accepted that drinking dulls your thinking youo have the responsibility to yourself and others to set up things so your drunk ass isn't in the position to kill people. This woman was assaulted TWICE. He got way more leniancy than he deserved the first time around but the second his drunk ass knew what he was doing was wrong and he's getting a lot of what he deserves.

So far he's been banned from tournaments and kicked by his sponsor. He's also under the thumb of his victim if she decides to press charges. This guy needs a reality check about his behavior but he doesn't need anymore punishment from the community than he already got. It's up to her to pull the trigger on giving him a criminal record and the sex offender flag. At this point we as a community should be hammering into his head he has some underlying sexual ideas he needs to come to terms with.

fvng

Your point was lost on everyone. Consider why.

speak for yourself, what I said applies to any situation where a criminal accusation is lodged against anyone.

maxresdefault.jpg

Trey

Even sexual predators?

Empathy is great, but you should reserve it for people who actually deserve it. Some people genuinely don't, through the result of their own actions.

Everyone deserves empathy. Understanding the "good" and "bad" of humanity is essential for a productive and connected society.

Just because you're empathetic does not mean you are legitimizing their actions or excusing them. This is the thing folks need to realize.

notaskwid

So, I don't think it makes sense to say that alcohol "turns people into someone else." You're right; that simply isn't the case. That being said, it does functionally shut down parts of your brain. It inhibits certain control mechanisms while flooding your brain with dopamine. This is why most people beyond a certain limit end up acting so very, very poorly.

That being said, you aren't transformed into a different person. You are still responsible for everything you do. If that seems scary to a person, that person shouldn't drink.

I personally choose not to for that reason. That being said, I sincerely doubt being drunk would lead me to molesting people (and if it did I would turn myself in).

I see, thanks for the answer. It is indeed a loaded subject more so because it interacts differently with different people.
Hopefully he learns from this and changes his ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom