• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Smash player was sexually molested at EVO: Offender banned from comp play 1 yr

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girl didn't press charges and he is only getting a one year ban? Got off very easy in my opinion. Hopefully he learns from this...

losing both his sponsorship (Thats a big deal) and a 1yr ban to which is probably one of his most important social circles will probably hit harder home than any jail sentence. luckily too it seems he may be repentant which is the main thing society should want from those who commit criminal acts. all in all I feel this was handled quite well by the community

Acerac

Banned
I want to say something, but im sure it is bannable as it would likely incite a riot.

I will not say it.
As long as you can back up what you have to say controversial opinions aren't bannable on gaf.

If you've got something to say, say it! It seems silly to post in a thread just to say you won't say anything about the subject.

iBlue

It doesn't matter what the smash TO think after all if the police know ANYTHING about this he wont be allowed in the US/CAN for at least 10 years. So if its just a smash ban than he is lucky.

jnWake

Come one, guys. Would a drunk driver hitting someone get the same "but he was drunk, he didn't mean to!!" defense?

Not to defend Hyuga but it's a different case. In most cases a drunk driver started drinking while knowing he/she was going to drive later which is terribly irresponsible. I strongly doubt Hyuga started drinking while knowing he was going to molest someone if he did.

Christine

I want to say something, but im sure it is bannable as it would likely incite a riot.

I will not say it.

This post is a prima facie bannable violation of TOS §III Rule A. Believe me (I'm an expert) when I say that a better tactic is just to say the shit you thought you would get banned for. You'll probably still catch a ban but at least you'll get to say the terrible shit that was on your mind before I give you a mandatory vacation.

Please take your comments about moderation policy to a private message. Always.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Apparently he got plastered so bad he didn't hear any of it happen. The decision to let a stranger sleep in he room with you and your girlfriend was a very poor one though (not to mention getting yourself so plastered you didn't realize what was happening)

The girl is now saying she doesn't want to make a big deal of it because her Hispanic parents won't let her travel our of state along with some other stuff... Can't say I agree with her but they all seem very young and naive.

That's been my impression of this whole thing: young and clueless idiots. That boyfriend, though...he was tweeting out gaming shit the day after.

WTF.

Beth Cyra

That's been my impression of this whole thing: young and clueless idiots. That boyfriend, though...he was tweeting out gaming shit the day after.

WTF.
The boy friend is try is trying to live his life. Also if she doesn't want to make a big deal out of it he may very well just respecting her wishes andcarrying on like normal as best as possible.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The boy friend is try is trying to live his life. Also if she doesn't want to make a big deal out of it he may very well just respecting her wishes andcarrying on like normal as best as possible.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But no one should be surprised by some of the reactions in this thread.

ironmang

Reading through more of this thread...

Anyone who puts any hint of blame on the boyfriend do not understand what happened at all. I don't know how Hyuga got into the room, but it's entirely possible that DJ Jack was already asleep by the time he came in.

People can sleep heavily. I usually don't notice someone else on the bed getting up from it if I'm in a deep sleep, and that's without the aid of alcohol.

Also, in case people are not familiar with how hotel rooms are filled for these kinds of things, there were most likely at least 5-6 people in that room. DJ Jack and his girlfriend were not alone in that room. This is done to reduce the cost for attending these tournaments. This is why NickRiddle was the one to kick Hyuga out.

One more thing: DJ Jack would have obviously done something if he was actually conscious. Do any of you suspicious people think he would just let Hyuga do whatever he wants? That is absolutely ridiculous.

Ya I don't get why anybody was attacking the other people in the room. It's possible that none of them knew what was going on until she broke down crying and told them after he was kicked out.

Regarding the boyfriend not waking up, after 2 days of spending all day in a Vegas convention center it's easy to understand that he could have been in a deep sleep. There's a reason whenever I share a hotel room with multiple people at an event like this that we always set all of our alarms and have the front desk call. And rarely do any of us get shitfaced.

Alucrid

Banned
1 year? seems weak. what exactly does the "Global Smash 4 Leadership Group" entail? i hope that other fgc events, i.e. WCW, CEO, etc. taken individual steps to make sure he's banned from their tournaments.

Takuan

This dude should be facing charges imo. Super rapey and needs professional help.

1 yr ban seems short. Lifetime sounds more appropriate.

cordy

Banned
Sorry if it sounds crude but I would have scrapped if I were the boyfriend, fuck that. Nah, that's unacceptable. Everybody's different but as I was reading the story from the point where she said she had a boyfriend I kept thinking "ok what's dude gonna do". When he didn't do anything I was shocked. Just, ugh.

This whole thing is disgusting. He needs something more than a damn ban. It's like nothing is happening to him rather than being banned from a damn game, that's ridiculous.

ironmang

I hope the 1 year ban was fired off quickly to keep him out of events while they think of a longer banning. If not lifetime it needs to be multiple years with proof that he got help.

Beth Cyra

Sorry if it sounds crude but I would have scrapped if I were the boyfriend, fuck that. Nah, that's unacceptable. Everybody's different but as I was reading the story from the point where she said she had a boyfriend I kept thinking "ok what's dude gonna do". When he didn't do anything I was shocked. Just, ugh.

This whole thing is disgusting.
Some people dont want to have their partners do that for them though so it's possible their relationship would be hurt if the boyfriend tried something like that.

I agree 1 year ban is weak and makes me sad we didn't send a stronger message on this issue.

1 year? seems weak. what exactly does the "Global Smash 4 Leadership Group" entail? i hope that other fgc events, i.e. WCW, CEO, etc. taken individual steps to make sure he's banned from their tournaments.

Bear's Twitter bio seems to list him as being a consultant for nearly every major fighting game tournament. So it's probably safe to say he's not going to be allowed at any of them for the duration of his banning.

Krejlooc

Banned
1 year ban is ridiculous, this should be a life ban. It can take years and years of therapy for a woman to move past sexual molestation.

What a slap on the wrist. This dude should be in jail.

outsidah

He wasn't exactly a stranger, and the decision was specifically made because the group (there were more than just the victim and her boyfriend staying in the room) was worried about Hyuga because he was too drunk to find his way back to his own hotel and they didn't want him wandering around Vegas alone and drunk at night.

It was a poor decision in retrospect sure (and especially the decision to let him stay after the first time he assaulted her) but they at least had a decent reason for letting him in to begin with.

I read the why, and I guess different strokes for different folks but from what I've read I don't get that they were buds. I think you need to have a very good knowledge of someone before inviting them in to sleep with you. My opinion anyway.

I'd say that she has a responsibility to make it a big deal to protect other girls and that's more important than travelling.

Also just to reclaim her power from this terrible situation. I feel for her. :(

I agree with you and her post made it seen like she thinks her parents won't find out about this after she posted it online... good luck.

I also do feel for her but I think her reasoning was very short sighted and again her just being young.

Daft Punk

Banned
While I'm not defending Hyuga's actions in any way and agree with his punishment, just like Noel Brown, some of you in here are asking for the death penalty for something that has no previous precedence and is basically being made up as we go along. So let's say they start giving out lifetime bans for first offenses. What happens? The FGC is not giving people a chance to reflect on their actions and possibly reform them? We're just going to go ahead and chop off their heads?

This reminds me of when I was in the military and a woman falsely accused a guy of rape because he was the nerd in her workshop or something. After that, the Air Force started cracking down on sexual assault to the point that both men and women were afraid to associate with each other out of work due to someone getting the wrong idea and reporting them for sexual assault and harassment. Fear is not what is needed in this situation. What is needed is compassion for the victim and cautious understanding for Hyuga. Dude fucked up badly and needs help, but he also needs to suffer the consequences of his action. This year long ban gives him a chance to reflect, to possibly get help and understand why what he did was wrong, and come back a possibly changed person. I know people are mad, but going from 0-100 isn't going to help the victim recover any faster.

Galang

Banned
Just one year? The fuck. The last similar thread where the guy only got a few years was just as despicable. These really should be lifelong bans, no excuses. One year teaches him and other people that nothing bad happens to you if you sexually harass someone. Missing a year is literally nothing

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hopefully the victim will be okay, and the guy himself reevaluate himself the hardcore way and accept whatever consequence his stupidity caused him and be a better guy in the future.

FyreWulff

No, but if I'm related to the woman who was assaulted, here are my questions for DJ Jack:

1. Why did you let the guy stay in the room with you? Do you really know him?
2. Exactly how trashed were you when you offered him a place to stay?
3. Did anyone try to wake you up to let you know what happened? Both times?
4. Has anyone explained the rationale of moving her to a different bed when an assault just took place?

Going off what we know, I think there's a great deal of poor decision-making at hand, along with some level of negligence by multiple people in the room.

So someone gets attacked and you're going to interrogate everyone but the perp, got it

random25

I don't really care much more tournament bans because it's not like it'll affect Hyuga greatly if he can't attend US tournaments (dunno if Mexico TOs will ban him). He's still scot-free and people will eventually forget this scandal, especially if he stays on his country for long. I advocate jail time more but it seems the victim won't press charges, though she filed a police report. So the dude is lucky to get a light slap in the wrist for a criminal act.

Krejlooc

Banned
Unfortunately, Sexual Molestation is still seen as not a big deal by many people. I can't count the number of times I've heard "eh, but at least it's not rape" from people.

No. Wrong. It's essentially the same type of psychological attack as rape. The physical component of the attack isn't nearly as devastating as the feeling of powerlessness and shame that lingers.Years of sleepless nights, waking in terror at the slightest sound in the middle of the night. It takes so much goddamn strength and time to get over something like this, and some women sadly never move past it. It's not something that goes away easily.

If you think rape should be subject to harsh punishment, so should sexual molestation. I doubt this guy would be getting only a 1 year ban if he raped a woman. To me this is just another example of people not fucking getting it.

soultron

Banned
1 year is pitiful. CSGO pros involved in match fixing scandals got 1 year. This is far worse, in my opinion. This sends the message, "if you have nothing to lose, you can sexually assault someone and only be barred from competing for 1 year."

Krejlooc

Banned
While I'm not defending Hyuga's actions in any way and agree with his punishment, just like Noel Brown, some of you in here are asking for the death penalty for something that has no previous precedence and is basically being made up as we go along. So let's say they start giving out lifetime bans for first offenses. What happens? The FGC is not giving people a chance to reflect on their actions and possibly reform them? We're just going to go ahead and chop off their heads?

This reminds me of when I was in the military and a woman falsely accused a guy of rape because he was the nerd in her workshop or something. After that, the Air Force started cracking down on sexual assault to the point that both men and women were afraid to associate with each other out of work due to someone getting the wrong idea and reporting them for sexual assault and harassment. Fear is not what is needed in this situation. What is needed is compassion for the victim and cautious understanding for Hyuga. Dude fucked up badly and needs help, but he also needs to suffer the consequences of his action. This year long ban gives him a chance to reflect, to possibly get help and understand why what he did was wrong, and come back a possibly changed person. I know people are mad, but going from 0-100 isn't going to help the victim recover any faster.

This isn't about this dipshit at all. Too bad, so sad that he shouldn't get a chance to reform. Playing video games for a living is a fucking privilege, not a right.

A lifetime ban shouldn't be about him, it should be about protecting others from a known repeated sexual predator. If this guy has personal demons, he should have sought help before he assaulted someone else. The guy is extremely lucky - he can still go find help if he wants. But no, he shouldn't be allowed back in the same circle. Too bad, them's the ropes. If you don't want punishment, don't do the crime.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
1 year is fine, it's not like things are going to go back to normal after a year (if he even wants to continue playing). If the girl accepts his apology and he serves jail time, perhaps he could deserve a second chance.

1 year? Like really? and the young lady that this happened to doesn't want to make a big deal out of it?

Man it's circumstances like these that don't reinforce it's a big damn deal. Dude got a slap on the wrist, he reputation tarnished, and etc. Nothing is ever a fair trade for what happened to the victim.

Dryk

I think I'm ok with a 1 year ban, but that's only if a 2nd occurrence is a lifetime ban.
They have said that that is going to be their sentencing structure going forward. I'd definitely like to see them up the time on the initial ban though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom