• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF16 Takes The Top Spot In Famitsu's Most Wanted Games

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Tears-Kingdom.jpg

It’s time for the latest Famitsu’s most wanted games chart. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom drops a spot, but is still the top Switch title.

1. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 965 votes
2. [NSW] Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 959 votes
3. [NSW] Pikmin 4 – 514 votes
4. [PS5] Street Fighter 6 – 477 votes
5. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth – 461 votes
6. [PS5] Pragmata – 292 votes
7. [PS5] Like a Dragon 8 – 214 votes
8. [NSW] Ys X – 166 votes
9. [PS4] Like a Dragon 8 – 164 votes
10. [NSW] Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection – 159 votes
11. [NSW] Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection – 151 votes
12. [NSW] Atelier Marie Remake – 148 votes
13. [NSW] Master Detective Archives: Rain Code – 133 votes
14. [NSW] Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars – 114 votes
15. [NSW] Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster – 113 votes
16. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu World: Chikyuu wa Kibou de Mawatteru! – 111 votes
17. [PS5] Ys X – 109 votes
18. [PS5] Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name – 108 votes
19. [PS4] Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name – 106 votes
20. [NSW] Professor Layton and the New World of Steam – 103 votes
21. [PS4] Street Fighter 6 – 101 votes
22. [NSW] Fantasy Life i: The Girl Who Steals Time – 85 votes
23. [NSW] Ushiro – 80 votes
24. [NSW] Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai – 74 votes
25. [NSW] Natsu-Mon! 20th Century Summer Vacation – 72 votes
26. [NSW] Buccanyar – 71 votes
27. [PS5] Diablo IV – 69 votes
28. [PS5] Tekken 8 – 67 votes
29. [PS4] Granblue Fantasy Relink – 66 votes
30. [PS4] Hogwarts Legacy – 64 votes

EruditeHobo

15 and 13 are so distinctly not great, I'm not sure why we should expect greatness this time around.
Because of that I don't really get the FF hype... cautiously optimistic at best, personally.

TotK looks good, but just finishing the first game now so not looking to jump back in. That definitely lowers my hype level.

Diablo 4, SF6, Silksong, and FF7 rebirth (because I'm a fanboy) lead the way for me. By far.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
15 and 13 are so distinctly not great, I'm not sure why we should expect greatness this time around.
Because of that I don't really get the FF hype... cautiously optimistic at best, personally.

TotK looks good, but just finishing the first game now so not looking to jump back in. That definitely lowers my hype level.

Diablo 4, SF6, Silksong, and FF7 rebirth (because I'm a fanboy) lead the way for me. By far.
There's a much better team behind FF16, Sony has done work on it and everything looks great from what we've seen imo

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This game was near the top of my most hyped list......back when they first showed gameplay in 2018. But it has taken so long that now it has drifted to a place of indifference.
At this point I don't know if they are actually making a game or just cool 20 minute "vertical slices" they can show every 2 years
I’m still excited for it but god damn what’s going on with this games development?

Last edited:

MikeM

Surprised to see Diablo 4 so low.

Personally, FF XVI, Rebirth and Pragmata are what i’m most looking forward to. Stellar Blade is a wildcard.

Klayzer

Nice, definitely my most hyped game of the year too

This game was near the top of my most hyped list......back when they first showed gameplay in 2018. But it has taken so long that now it has drifted to a place of indifference.
At this point I don't know if they are actually making a game or just cool 20 minute "vertical slices" they can show every 2 years
Same. The first trailer with Platnum Games involvement, had me desperate for a release date.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m still excited for it but god damn what’s going on with this games development?
It looked promising but I have zero expectations. If it’s good I’ll be pleasantly surprised. If it’s bad or canceled, oh well.

Getting hyped for a game from an unproven developer that has been in development hell for half a decade is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Astral Dog

I thinks its gonna end up one of the best games ever made
Zeruda only second place. Final Fantasy is Japans favorite.
I believe Zelda wasn't even popular in Japan until Breath of the Wild came out, one of the DS games did well but its always been much more popular in the west

EruditeHobo

There's a much better team behind FF16, Sony has done work on it and everything looks great from what we've seen imo

From what I've seen it's not really differentiating itself enough to earn that benefit of the doubt quite yet... however I hope I'm wrong and would love to eat crow. I'd love to really consider FF a must-play day-1 series again, it's one of my favorite series of all time.

I'll get to it!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From what I've seen it's not really differentiating itself enough to earn that benefit of the doubt quite yet... however I hope I'm wrong and would love to eat crow. I'd love to really consider FF a must-play day-1 series again, it's one of my favorite series of all time.

I'll get to it!
The art direction in FFXVI is very different than FFXIII and XV and we finally have proper medieval sitting instead of modern/futuristic ones and other than FF Type-0 this is the first mainline FF game thats rated "M".

And more importantly, compare to FF XIII and XV, FFXIV had MUCH smoother development cycle.

EruditeHobo

And 14 is distinctly great.
And this is Japan chart and FF14 is a huge phenomenon in Japan, so it's understandable that new game from YoshiP gains a lot of traction there.

Yeah, that's fine. I'm just responding with my thoughts.

I don't judge MMOs in the same way as single-player experiences... FF14 may be great (post-relaunch... right? didn't they rebuild/reboot the game?), but it has little to do with their recent single-player-FF track record, to me.

The art direction in FFXVI is very different than FFXIII and XV and we finally have proper medieval sitting instead of modern/futuristic ones and other than FF Type-0 this is the first mainline FF game thats rated "M".

And more importantly, compare to FF XIII and XV, FFXIV had MUCH smoother development cycle.

This is all great... the trailers just haven't blown me away.

I'm ignorant to the team changes and differences in dev cycles, but that's all really encouraging. Will see how it pays off.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I'll get to it!
I have very little doubt that FF16 won't be at least good

I'm expecting an 88 - 94 metacritic score

Last edited:

GymWolf

Still undecited about moving the preorder from ff16 to zelda tiktok...i really don't care for dmc type of combat even if it has rpg stats and shit.

Needlecrash

FF and Zelda, amazing to see these franchises still so relevant today. Many IPs from the 90s and 00s are dying or dead now.
Agreed. 36 and 37 years later, they are still going strong. Lots of franchises and companies didn't make it sadly. One of them that somehow survived is Technos. Although they went out of business, Million picked up the IP's and then Arc System Works now has them all; even making new games like Double Dragon 4 and River City Saga: Three Kingdoms.

Markets have different tastes, but does Japan not care for Spiderman at all? Wasn't the first one quite well received there too?

wvnative

Because this development team has clearly demonstrated on multiple occasions they know what they are doing, and if you read various interviews, they've very clearly outlined what the game is, what the game isn't, and directly addressed the mistakes of recent mainline entries, and explained in detail how they are avoiding those mistakes.

Go_Ly_Dow

Agreed. 36 and 37 years later, they are still going strong. Lots of franchises and companies didn't make it sadly. One of them that somehow survived is Technos. Although they went out of business, Million picked up the IP's and then Arc System Works now has them all; even making new games like Double Dragon 4 and River City Saga: Three Kingdoms.
Both Zelda and FF have had entries that have caused controversy over the previous years, but even the bad games have some merits and you can tell the intent was there by the devs to deliver a memorable experience. Both series look to be in better shape than ever imo. The tech issues and teething problems from earlier generations are sorted and the creatives behind them seem more passionate than ever.

Last edited:
I'm impressed Granblue Fantasy: Relink made the list since it has been ages in development. Can't wait for it, FFXVI, FF7 Rebirth, Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom, Street Fighter 6. Can't say much about Pragmata since we just got the reveal trailer and nothing more beyond the delay announcement. 2023 it's a good year for gaming.

EruditeHobo

Because this development team has clearly demonstrated on multiple occasions they know what they are doing, and if you read various interviews, they've very clearly outlined what the game is, what the game isn't, and directly addressed the mistakes of recent mainline entries, and explained in detail how they are avoiding those mistakes.

Sounds pretty good to me! Thanks for the info.

I'm very much not in the habit of reading dev reviews/media.

Doom85

Is SF6 really going to sell more than FF7 rebirth? Likewise I doubt FF16 sells more than Zelda 2.

We’ve been shown far more of SF 6 than FF VII Rebirth. I imagine that’s why the latter is lower in the rankings, but once more is shown, it’s a guarantee it will climb quite a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom