• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Removed From PS Store "Console Exclusives" Section.

Swift_Star

Banned
It's good to see Sony make some efforts in that area recently. MS has been putting out PC releases day and date for years now. Sony doesn't do day and date and we usually have no idea if/when a game will be ported. So there is still quite a delta between what MS and Sony are doing.

Also there is a significant difference in purchasing a studio and fully funding the development of a title like MS is doing with Starfield for instance and paying a developer to delay or deny a title on another platform. Again Sony and MS are doing different things here and there is far less to be upset with MS over especially since again you don't need to buy their consoles to play their titles day one vs. wondering if a game will come out on PC years later if ever.

Many PlayStation gamers ridiculed Xbox gamers claiming they have no exclusives because games hit PC at the same time. Now you are claiming MS is forcing people to buy PCs even though they don't even need an Xbox? This IS BS and I agree that argument certainly is.

You have an option to play MS titles and not need an Xbox when there are many games non-PlayStation owners can't access without that system. Can you name even one title that was officially announced on PlayStation that was canceled once Xbox acquired a studio? Has MS dropped any support for any games already on PlayStation?

I'm thinking PlayStation gamers have it pretty good and get far more games MS publishes than Xbox gamers get PlayStation publishes. Add to it titles like Final Fantasy that Sony pays to keep off Xbox and its clear PlayStation gamers have NOTHING to complain about.
You wrote all that but the facts are: you still have to buy a Xbox or a pc to play new Bethesda games.
Don’t try to distort reality.

Sounds like something Aaron Greenberg drafted.

Playstation-only owners were just fine as regards Bethesda games, now that situation has been turned upside down. Activision might be a little different, but never before have we seen two massive publishers bought by a platform holder in quick succession, and simply because they didn't have any games.

i cant believe the stupidity of people trying to compare sonys aquisitions to microsofts. let me make it simple and easy to understand.

what ip did xbox lose when sony acquired insomniac, bluepoint and housemarque?

what ip did sony lose when microsoft decided to acquire activision and bethesda?

the answers to those questions will tell you the actual facts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i cant believe the stupidity of people trying to compare sonys aquisitions to microsofts. let me make it simple and easy to understand.

what ip did sony lose when microsoft decided to acquire activision and bethesda?

It's literally the definition of mental gymnastics for the favorite toys. Cult-like behavior.
ipWgVDY.gif

Sony tried to use its position as market leader to moneyhat everything. That's why Xbox had to react. Simple as.

Sony tried to use its position as market leader to moneyhat everything. That's why Xbox had to react. Simple as.

do you any actual evidence of this? also can you explain "console launch exclusive" that we saw multiple times at the xbox show? aint these moneyhats? also, why do microsoft care about sony? i thought they werent the competition? the more you try to twist it, the more foolish you look.

Last edited:
I thought it was a reaction to Google/Amazon and the like to bolster subscription services (according to MS themselves)? Can't seem to keep up with all the narratives, especially the fan ones.
It's both. It's good for the sub service, and it's good for making sure Sony doesn't moneyhat everything. The problem with moneyhatting is, if you're not the market leader, things quickly become exponentially more expensive, so it's usually not worth it. Better to outright buy publishers if you can.

do you any actual evidence of this? also can you explain "console launch exclusive" that we saw multiple times at the xbox show? aint these moneyhats?
It's a different generation now, especially with Gamepass. Moneyhatting makes more sense now. Xbox isn't that far behind PS anymore, and Gamepass makes moneyhatting make more sense.
also, why do microsoft care about sony? i thought they werent the competition? the more you try to twist it, the more foolish you look.
Because as I said, Sony tried to use its market position to moneyhat everything.

It's a different generation now, especially with Gamepass. Moneyhatting makes more sense now. Xbox isn't that far behind PS anymore, and Gamepass makes moneyhatting make more sense.

Because as I said, Sony tried to use its market position to moneyhat everything.

you keep saying that but wheres your proof? you think sony are rich enough to moneyhat everything? you know how much it would cost? look how much sony dominated last gen, yet there wasnt that many timed exclusives. making these kind of deals aint as easy as you think, even for the market leader. how many big 3rd party ip did sony moneyhat last gen when they were stomping xbox? there was only a few.

Last edited:
you keep saying that but wheres your proof?
Them moneyhatting everything from Zenimax, for example.
you think are sony are rich enough to moneyhat everything? you know how much it would cost? look how much sony dominated last gen, yet there wasnt that many timed exclusives. making these kind of deals aint as easy as you think, even for the market leader. how many big 3rd party ip did sony moneyhat last gen when they were stomping xbox? there was only a few.
You don't need many timed exclusives if you dominate anyway. They started ramping up the moneyhats at the end of the old gen so that they can keep dominating the new gen.

You don't need many timed exclusives if you dominate anyway. They started ramping up the moneyhats at the end of the old gen so that they can keep dominating the new gen.

sure. sony are leading this gen because of deathloop and ghostwire. what would they have done without them? your all over the place mate. get your shit together.

Kimahri

Banned
Why not? Most of the fans are on PS and it brings more value to Sony. It makes perfectly sense.
If people want to play FF they can always build a pc or buy a ps5.
Isn’t it the same with new Bethesda games? 🤔
What has Bethesda to do with it? They got bought, it is what it is now. I never wanted MS to buy Bethesda.

Accepting the situation as is is a very different thing from wishing games to be kept away from specific platforms. Thst is just dumb fanboyism.

Sony has enough game value as is, they don't need permanent FF exclusivity for that.

mate, do you understand the concept of proof for your claims? do you have any concrete proof of this? rumours dont count. we know jack shit about these things that go on behind the scenes. why do you keep parroting it like a sheep?
Yeah, let's just act like it's impossible that Sony also went for Starfield because, uh, reasons.

:messenger_smirking:

tmlDan

It's both. It's good for the sub service, and it's good for making sure Sony doesn't moneyhat everything. The problem with moneyhatting is, if you're not the market leader, things quickly become exponentially more expensive, so it's usually not worth it. Better to outright buy publishers if you can.
I'm outright embarrassed by this take, you're moving goalposts.

MS had a stronger history of moneyhatting especially in its inception, the fact that you even think Sony as the market leader has more power than a trillion dollar company makes you illogical and delusional

Swift_Star

Banned
What has Bethesda to do with it? They got bought, it is what it is now. I never wanted MS to buy Bethesda.

Accepting the situation as is is a very different thing from wishing games to be kept away from specific platforms. Thst is just dumb fanboyism.

Sony has enough game value as is, they don't need permanent FF exclusivity for that.
well, it has everything to do with it. If MS can moneyhat into perpetuity, I can’t see why Sony shouldn’t do the same with FF. It’s FairPlay. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Swift_Star

Banned
Don’t complain when Sony does it, son, because it’s clear they’re going to do it even more going forward.
That’s my instance here. If it’s ok for MS to outright buy publishers limiting access to their games, Sony should go and do the same. I really don’t care anymore.

quest

Not Banned from OT
if its so obvious, why is it so hard to show proof? ive asked like 5 times already and you dodge it everytime. whats wrong with you?
You forget so quickly. The styling and profiling in this thread. I said it then timed exclusives are a waste spend the money on studios. Sony clearly has tried to money hat everything in site to content starve the competition.

kyoji

You forget so quickly. The styling and profiling in this thread. I said it then timed exclusives are a waste spend the money on studios. Sony clearly has tried to money hat everything in site to content starve the competition.

Do you know what a rumor is man? Im pretty sure that is a rumor. By the way rumor has it, Apple is buying nintendo and sega. You see how this works?

This why so many have egg on they face when it turned out spiderman ip wasnt even money hatted for exclusive use. People just assumed because thats the narrative they want to create to make sony seem like everything they do is “anti” this or “anti” that, but theres no issues for any other major playform holder, everything is fair game or there are loop holes “because of this” or “because of that”.

Another thing id like to point out is according to some arm chair analysts on gaf (😂) sony is poor and cant afford anything, especially compared to MS deep pockets, yet sony are able to make some blockbuster partnerships happen and this is what infuriate the fanboys because they just cant comprehend it. It just goes to show that money isnt everything and alot more goes into these deals and partnerships at the end of the day.

Last edited:

kyoji

Bro. You do realize that a very large portion of MS games this gen have been money hats that u depise so much right? Lol do u need me to list some? Please think carefully now!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
PS4, ps5 and epic before.
This is just leftovers

PC people need to buy game more if they're hoping to see the sequel on their plateforme. SE may not consider a PC port for FF7 Rebirth at this rate.
We were told many times in the PS port-begging threads that there is no overlap between PC and console crowd so it's safe for Sony to release all their games Day 1.

Now the narrative completely changed because FF7R was an old port "they already played it on consoles" 😖 So these PC gamers have consoles but they don't play First-party Sony games. They wait to play them on PC but they play everything else on console 🤪

We were also told that PC gamers avoid Epic and always wait for a Steam release. Big numbers are coming on Steam.

Now the Steam release is out and the numbers are trash "But it was on Epic before" 😖 Makes no sense as usual.
Don't think this'll be big on steam either (not Monster Hunter levels of big anyway), especially with how it had already released on EGS before.
But you should actually show people the graph instead of a misleading pic:

H75xSe2.png

Player base is still in launch growth period. We can't say what the peak will be yet.
It was the peak at the time I did my post. Duh. It went up a little later. I wasn't trying to be misleading. It's still low anyway.

Kimahri

Banned
well, it has everything to do with it. If MS can moneyhat into perpetuity, I can’t see why Sony shouldn’t do the same with FF. It’s FairPlay. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't like moneyhatting exclusives. Period. So I have no idea why you bring this up with me like some gotcha moment.

Take it up with someone who thinks permanently exclusive bethesda games is a great thing.

rofif

Banned
We were told many times in the PS port-begging threads that there is no overlap between PC and console crowd so it's safe for Sony to release all their games Day 1.

Now the narrative completely changed because FF7R was an old port "they already played it on consoles" 😖 So these PC gamers have consoles but they don't play First-party Sony games. They wait to play them on PC but they play everything else on console 🤪

We were also told that PC gamers avoid Epic and always wait for a Steam release. Big numbers are coming on Steam.

Now the Steam release is out and the numbers are trash "But it was on Epic before" 😖 Makes no sense as usual.

It was the peak at the time I did my post. Duh. It went up a little later. I wasn't trying to be misleading. It's still low anyway.
yeah 10k now.
This is a lot.
ff 7 remake is such a game that you don't play on a whim. You plan your free time to play it, it if 10k people jumped already, it's not bad

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Yeah, let's just act like it's impossible that Sony also went for Starfield because, uh, reasons.

:messenger_smirking:
Bethesda went to Sony because they knew Deathloop and Ghostwire had flop written all over it and they were in financial trouble. Sony helped them financially with the development and marketing in exchange of 1 year console exclusivity. It was still on PC Day 1 so that should be enough according Xbox fans. MS Acquisitions = Good because it's on PC Day 1. Well, Deathloop and Ghostwire were on PC Day 1 so it works both sides 🙃

You should be grateful that Sony gave that bag because Deathloop and Ghostwire were both massive flops on PC. Like all Arkane and Tango games. At least they made some money on the PS side.

Are some of you aware that the other games Sony money-hatted have been released on other platforms after their money-hat-window expired? Hell, soon Gamepass subscribers will get a chance to play Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo as well.

The truth of the matter is that MS pulled the ultimate money-hat and ensured that future games from BethSoft would appear on non-gamepass platforms only on a "case by case" basis.

SSfox

Yeah, FF15 was release on all plateforms at the same time and the sales ratio on Xbox One were very weak, so the FF7R just make sens. If we start talking about what is fair and what's not, the Bethesda games sales were around 50/50 on both Xbox and PS and Xbox and Bethesda still didn't hesitate to lock their games out of PS, heck let's not even talk about Rise of TR Xbox exclusivity deal while first game sold more on Playstation, that deal that almost killed the Tomb Raider franchise, it was when Rise came to PS4 that the sales reach very high numbers, of course Crystal regretted that after, so... yeah.

Top Bottom