• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake Removed From PS Store "Console Exclusives" Section.

Corndog

Banned
Some stupidly disingenuous comparisons in this thread lol
Such as?
Yet no one mentions that...ever. Because it doesn't matter. It was timed exclusive for PS back then and that's enough for people to relate it with the PlayStation brand.
I just did mention it so your first statement is false. And then your reasoning is it doesn’t matter. Good to know you’re the arbitrator of what matters or not.
If anything nintendo has the claim of being most important for FF since that’s the platform the original was on. And in recent history the games have been multiplats.

yurinka

I was always under the impression though that Nintendo helped co-fund and co-develop Bayonetta 2 along with Platinum, and are doing the same with 3. So I guess Sega can theoretically do what they want with the IP but Nintendo's done more for Bayonetta by now than Sega did and I think Sega knows that. The IP is probably better off in Nintendo's hands, they've been its "unicorn" the way Insomniac has been for Spiderman.
Nintendo didn't codevelop Bayonetta 2 or 3. They are developed by Platinum. Nintendo paid Sega to get the games and published them. Sega keeps owning the IP, meaning they can do Bayonetta 4 and 5 Souljaboy exclusive and not developed by Platinum if they want to do so.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I guess that depends on where the sales are. That would determine which platform is more significant.
It definitely sold more on PlayStation, but is was not exclusive to PlayStation.

This entire argument came from a claim that ff7 was exclusive to PlayStation. My only point is it wasn’t. It did come out first on PlayStation and then was ported to pc. End of story.

rofif

Banned
This is the peak today on Steam. Mega Flop.

HxHG2OH.jpg

That untapped PC/Steam market you always hear about? They absent.
PS4, ps5 and epic before.
This is just leftovers

Mato

if you were EAGER to play this.... what stopped you getting ps4 on release or even borrowing one ?
Better to never play the game and then be angry about it ?

Never heard of platform of choice? If Square Enix has the right to keep selling out for time-exclusivity deals, I have have the right to be a disgruntled ex-fan and make an angry post about it.

Tomi

PC people need to buy game more if they're hoping to see the sequel on their plateforme. SE may not consider a PC port for FF7 Rebirth at this rate.
I dont know do you suffered some kind of amnesia but i will try to remind you that this game was alrdy on epic game store for over six months

PC people need to buy game more if they're hoping to see the sequel on their plateforme. SE may not consider a PC port for FF7 Rebirth at this rate.
You mean Square needs to not treat Steam users like second rate customers if it wants to make any money on Steam. I hope the Epic moneyhat was worth it.

rofif

Banned
Never heard of platform of choice? If Square Enix has the right to keep selling out for time-exclusivity deals, I have have the right to be a disgruntled ex-fan and make an angry post about it.
Isn't FF historically playstation genre ?

Goalus

I don’t think anyone believes this argument holds any water. Either way you look at it, you’re forcing the userbase to buy either an Xbox or a pc. That’s a really lame excuse. Before the acquisition, the games would come to PlayStation. After it, not anymore. This argument is pure BS.
When a few years back MS announced that all their games were going to be on PC day 1 going forward, the general consensus was that an Xbox was not needed anymore AT ALL.

Because ANYONE has a capable gaming PC and ANYONE is just as comfortable with playing on PC as with playing on console. I therefore do not understand why it is supposedly a problem that games are no longer on PS if they are still on PC. Anyone has a gaming PC anyway and can still enjoy those games to the fullest extent.

Last edited:

Goalus

"thriving" Lol. noone said it was dead but thriving? come on are u serious? Most games werent even designed or available on PC back then, do u need me to start listing games? And NO im not talking about ports that came to pc years and years later........

Wheres your gaming knowledge?
In 1996 PC gaming saw Quake, which was light-years ahead of anything available on console. Warcraft 2, Diablo, Baldur's Gate were from that time as well.

The only console game even remotely comparable was Ocarina of Time.

rofif

Banned
In 1996 PC gaming saw Quake, which was light-years ahead of anything available on console. Warcraft 2, Diablo, Baldur's Gate were from that time as well.

The only console game even remotely comparable was Ocarina of Time.
Tomb Raider was 1996 on ps1 too.
Not as good looking as quest but not light years behind mind you

Graciaus

More like SE needs to release their games on Steam first if they want people to buy them. That number is lower then I expected but they have themselves to blame. There are a lot of people who wait for massive price cuts or just pirate anything that went EGS first.

Personally not interested until all parts are released.

Topher

Gold Member
When a few years back MS announced that all their games were going to be on PC day 1 going forward, the general consensus was that an Xbox was not needed anymore AT ALL.

No, it wasn't. That was just console warrior nonsense.

Because ANYONE has a capable gaming PC and ANYONE is just as comfortable with playing on PC as with playing on console. I therefore do not understand why it is supposedly a problem that games are no longer on PS if they are still on PC. Anyone has a gaming PC anyway and can still enjoy those games to the fullest extent.

And this is just as ridiculous.

Kimahri

Banned
Isn't FF historically playstation genre ?
No.
First six games were on Nintendo consoles.
The next six were on PlayStation (plus pc for XI, and later Xbox 360)
The next games were multiplatform. XIV did not appear on Xbox.

Meanwhile various side games have appeared on various platforms, mostly handheld.

It was looking like FF was gonna go firmly multiplatform, with remasters released on both PlayStation and Xbox, and then FFVIIR happened.

People think it belongs on PlayStation most likely because they were young when the PS games game out, and are too young to remember the NES and SNES games vividly.

Guilty_AI

This is the peak today on Steam. Mega Flop.

HxHG2OH.jpg

That untapped PC/Steam market you always hear about? They absent.
Don't think this'll be big on steam either (not Monster Hunter levels of big anyway), especially with how it had already released on EGS before.
But you should actually show people the graph instead of a misleading pic:

H75xSe2.png

Player base is still in launch growth period. We can't say what the peak will be yet.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

No.

Meanwhile various side games have appeared on various platforms, mostly handheld.

It was looking like FF was gonna go firmly multiplatform, with remasters released on both PlayStation and Xbox, and then FFVIIR happened.

People think it belongs on PlayStation most likely because they were young when the PS games game out, and are too young to remember the NES and SNES games vividly.
Sony should lock down all major FF games going forward.

kyoji

No.

I agree with this but i would like to ADD that the reason people associate FF series with PlayStation is because FF 7 is what propelled the franchise into MASS POPULARITY, and it was exclusive on Playstation (it wasnt on Nintendo, it wasnt on Sega, it wasnt on PC) as it was designed for PS1! Why are people trying to pretend that at the time this wasnt the case? im not saying the previous FF titles were not good and im not here to debate what your favorite FF game is either. What im saying is FF7 is what REALLY put the series on the map in turns of series novelty and wide popularity, couple that with the release of the original being only on playstation for years before receiving Xbox/PC ports etc. and thats largely why the series is associated with PS brand. Its really not hard to understand. people just dont want to acknowledge that fact.

Guilty_AI

I agree with this but i would like to ADD that the reason people associate FF series with PlayStation is because FF 7 is what propelled the franchise into MASS POPULARITY, and it was exclusive on Playstation (it wasnt on Nintendo, it wasnt on Sega, it wasnt on PC) as it was designed for PS1! Why are people trying to pretend that at the time this wasnt the case? im not saying the previous FF titles were not good and im not here to debate what your favorite FF game is either. What im saying is FF7 is what REALLY put the series on the map in turns of series novelty and wide popularity, couple that with the release of the original being only on playstation for years before receiving Xbox/PC ports etc. and thats largely why the series is associated with PS brand. Its really not hard to understand. people just dont want to acknowledge that fact.
Rather than playstation, its easier to associate the series with playstations warriors meltdowns

lol, found out today this came from neogaf. Seems things haven't changed much

kyoji

Rather than playstation, its easier to associate the series with playstations warriors meltdowns

Whos having a meltdown? the only people i see having a meltdown are the ones whining about not being able to play FF Rebirth. You know the ones who are suppose to be multi console owners... i guess their imaginary ps5s wont be able to play the game. I have a PS5 so im good. Its really not anyones fault that select people still havent figured out 20 years later that owning a PS/Nintendo is the safest bet for these games 100%. if you havent figured that out by now.. well thats your own fault.

Swift_Star

Banned
Just ignorant, absolutely ignorant but you goal posted to JRPGs so you know you spoke too broadly. It’s fine.

Dude I still have my FF7 discs for PS1 that I bought on launch day so don’t come at me about “gaming history”.

To call PC gaming irrelevant at any point is just ignorant.
Sure, jan.

Guilty_AI

Whos having a meltdown? the only people i see having a meltdown are the ones whining about not being able to play FF Rebirth. You know the ones who are suppose to be multi console owners... i guess their imaginary ps5s wont be able to play the game. I have a PS5 so im good. Its really not anyones fault that select people still havent figured out 20 years later that owning a PS/Nintendo is the safest bet for these games 100%. if you havent figured that out by now.. well thats your own fault.
Spoken like a true expert in japanese culture :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rofif

Banned

I never owned a playstation before 4.
I was always a pc gamer and never played ff game before 7 remake and (after 7r) xv.
In my head, FF was always a PS franchise.

Not sure what to tell you... this is just what it felt like to an outsider

Swift_Star

Banned
I never owned a playstation before 4.
I was always a pc gamer and never played ff game before 7 remake and (after 7r) xv.
In my head, FF was always a PS franchise.

Not sure what to tell you... this is just what it felt like to an outsider
You’re not the only one but these guys want to revision history.
That’s most likely what they’re already doing. And SE won’t lose anything by doing that since it’s known that the vast majority of fans are on PlayStation.

Guilty_AI

yep and if you dont have a PS5 you will be sitting on the sidelines reading spoilers on gaf like a true butthurt gaffer :messenger_beaming:
Sorry jam, tried playing the remake after it was free on PS plus and thought it was dumb af, so i'll be skipping the rest of this 3 part remake(reimagining? Sequel?). Have fun tho.

kyoji

Sorry jam, tried playing the remake after it was free on PS plus and thought it was dumb af, so i'll be skipping the rest of this 3 part remake(reimagining? Sequel?). Have fun tho.
why u in this thread then? seems like a common theme with you 'oh im not interested guys' the game sucks etc etc. :unsure:
But you do have a nice day sir.

Guilty_AI

why u in this thread then? seems like a common theme with you 'oh im not interested guys' the game sucks etc etc. :unsure:
Just clicked casually without thinking much, then started laughing histerically at people losing their minds on a dumb discussion like how FF "felt" like a PS game and whatnot. What are you guys even trying to prove?

But you do have a nice day sir.
i wish, but thanks

kyoji

they invaded the thread after I said PC gaming was irrelevant in the 90s. 😅
But i dont understand, you didnt say anything factually wrong. You didnt say people weren't playing PC games. And its true Consoles ran circles around PCs in the 90s. PC gaming was niche back then in comparison to consoles, its alot different now as PC has gaming is alot more popular now and i would say is rivaling consoles but the bulk of the games were inherit-ably exclusive back then before PC started to receive ports way later down the line.

I guess people just cant take factual information, Theres even articles that support this. I see guys on this forum that like to scream PS fanboy, but what about all these PC fanboys and Xbox fanboys who dont even know simple history like this? im starting to wonder if any of these cats were even born back then, or over the age of 12 for that matter.

in the 90s a PC could run you anywhere from 700-2000 dollars which was alot for that particular climate back then. A console though? a quater of that price.

kyoji

Just clicked casually without thinking much, then started laughing histerically at people losing their minds on a dumb discussion like how FF "felt" like a PS game and whatnot. What are you guys even trying to prove?

i wish, but thanks
well you should control your casual takes, and think more carefully before spewing nonsense, but as i told lognor before, a guy with 2 years service on gaf and 6k posts i understand why you would feel the need to reply to everything for your post count, rather you sound ridiculous or not :messenger_peace:

Guilty_AI

well you should control your casual takes, and think more carefully before spewing nonsense, but as i told lognor before, a guy with 2 years service on gaf and 6k posts i understand why you would feel the need to reply to everything for your post count, rather you sound ridiculous or not :messenger_peace:
Why should i control my takes? Do they offend you?

And of course i'll reply to everything, if i was just going to lurk i wouldn't have made an account in the first place.
Though i wish there was more discussion on actual good games rather than junk like this.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

Why? I don't understand this desire some people have to lock people away frol something. The more platforms it's on the better.

Sure, maybe in people's minds, but still doesn't mean that it is historically a PS series.

Aldo, VII was released on PC a year after PS, not years.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's good to see Sony make some efforts in that area recently. MS has been putting out PC releases day and date for years now. Sony doesn't do day and date and we usually have no idea if/when a game will be ported. So there is still quite a delta between what MS and Sony are doing.

Also there is a significant difference in purchasing a studio and fully funding the development of a title like MS is doing with Starfield for instance and paying a developer to delay or deny a title on another platform. Again Sony and MS are doing different things here and there is far less to be upset with MS over especially since again you don't need to buy their consoles to play their titles day one vs. wondering if a game will come out on PC years later if ever.

Many PlayStation gamers ridiculed Xbox gamers claiming they have no exclusives because games hit PC at the same time. Now you are claiming MS is forcing people to buy PCs even though they don't even need an Xbox? This IS BS and I agree that argument certainly is.

You have an option to play MS titles and not need an Xbox when there are many games non-PlayStation owners can't access without that system. Can you name even one title that was officially announced on PlayStation that was canceled once Xbox acquired a studio? Has MS dropped any support for any games already on PlayStation?

I'm thinking PlayStation gamers have it pretty good and get far more games MS publishes than Xbox gamers get PlayStation publishes. Add to it titles like Final Fantasy that Sony pays to keep off Xbox and its clear PlayStation gamers have NOTHING to complain about.
Sounds like something Aaron Greenberg drafted.

Playstation-only owners were just fine as regards Bethesda games, now that situation has been turned upside down. Activision might be a little different, but never before have we seen two massive publishers bought by a platform holder in quick succession, and simply because they didn't have any games.

Hezekiah

Banned
Meh, I was eager to play this 2 years ago. I can't wait to ignore FFXVI when it comes to Steam 2 years too late.
People like to claim that PC gamers don't care about getting games when they are older, but that's probably true only to an extent. Also they're pretty tight generally, so combine the fact the game's over two years old, and £70 and it's not a great combo.

Swift_Star

Banned
Why? I don't understand this desire some people have to lock people away frol something. The more platforms it's on the better.
Why not? Most of the fans are on PS and it brings more value to Sony. It makes perfectly sense.
If people want to play FF they can always build a pc or buy a ps5.
Isn’t it the same with new Bethesda games? 🤔

Top Bottom