• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

Rhapsody

Banned
Is the Steam version any different from the console versions on 360 and PS3? I'm getting accidental drive cancels with K' when I'm playing at a friend's on the Steam version.

Rhapsody

Banned
That explains it. I keep getting K' QCF+P drive cancel into QCF+K whenever I play on that setup and it's pissing me off. I just want the kick follow up. I tried going back to console and I can't even get the drive cancel on purpose.

BadWolf

Yes, it has the latest arcade patch which added more lenient inputs iirc.

Pretty sure it didn't.

Climax Edition is basically the console version for arcades with the DLC characters included and some very minor bug fixes. This is the version that got ported to Steam.

The console version is pretty much KOF13.5 compared to the original 2010 arcade release so they just brought it up to date.

BadWolf

That explains it. I keep getting K' QCF+P drive cancel into QCF+K whenever I play on that setup and it's pissing me off. I just want the kick follow up. I tried going back to console and I can't even get the drive cancel on purpose.

You can't drive cancel QCF+P at all.

Are you sure you aren't pressing back+K by mistake? That does the slide follow up. You have to press forward+K for the other follow-ups.

Either that or you are doing the DP by mistake instead of the fireball and drive canceling that.

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't rule out the possibility that it was an accidental DP that was drive cancelled into qcf+K.

It definitely wasn't the qcb follow up for sure since I did lose Drive.

shaowebb

You guys should really see Top 8 From Atlanta scraps. Blows away what we saw in Pools at Northwest Majors today.

Pig of the Hut
Saltface
Forever King
Michaelangelo

aaaaaaaaaaaaall kinds of fast and impressive stuff happening. Kung Jin, Kenshi, Mileena, Quan Chi, and Cassie Cage.

Pig of the Hut (Kenshi Balanced) vs Saltface (Hollywood Cassie Cage)
Michaelangelo (Quan Chi Summoner) vs Saltface (Mileena Piercing)
Michaelangelo(Quan Chi Summoner) vs Forever King (Kung Jin Bojutsu)
Pig of the Hut (Kenshi Balanced)vs Forever King (Kung Jin Bojutsu)pt 1
Pig of the Hut (Kenshi Balanced)vs Forever King (Kung Jin Bojutsu)pt 2

So back and forth. Many a runback in here and things always hinged on each round. I was really excited seeing a high level Mileena out there and Pig of the Hut as always shows just how big of a comeback character Kenshi can be.

zlatko

Banned
I was really impressed with Tom Brady's Sub Zero play today. He totally shut Aris down. Twas ridiculous.

I keep messing around with the cast, and have a few characters I can consitently land 30% off of various starts.

Takeda
D'Vorah
Kung Jin
Scorpion
Katana
Kano

I feel like these are super easy characters to just pick up and play. Ermac too, but I haven't played with him enough.

I had my giant win streak today finally broken by an Ermac player on Ranked. He had a great amount of 50-50's, high lows, etc. Felt good to play a solid player after the armada of easy peesy people online.

Oh, and I finally got a full team faction battle. I won my match with double flawless victories and a fatality. The rest of my team got bopped. :(

shaowebb

Thanks. I really enjoy watching high level nrs stuff.

Me too. Its always surprising just how fast these games get. Northwest Majors was pretty lowtech in pools and if not for the sets Tom Brady, Justin Wong, Wonderchef, and Reo had they would have all been blowouts pretty much. Those 3 had the only real back and forth tight sets in pools. And J.wong and Reo were vs each other.

Pig, Forever King, MIT, DJT, Sonic Fox and a bunch of other MK folks aren't at Northwest Majors and due to that there wasn't a lot of deep play there today. Just a lot of really basic stuff mostly. Tons of flowchart Kano, Kung Jin. Atlanta Scraps though had some real play and it makes me excited for what the scene will look like soon.

Can't wait till the first Shinnok or Goro goes nuts out there!

MK and KOF are somewhat similar in their skill progressions.

KOF still takes a bit more work, but overall it's really difficult to get to the "real" game when the vast majority of players who play it don't bother going that far into it, since basic offensive gimmicks can have very high rewards. Learning setups and converting is easy, defending against it is not.

I don't think this will be a problem as MKX ages, though. I think MKX will eventually have an even bigger -top player pool- than MK9 or Injustice ever had.

Pappasman

Just got home from the NWM venue. Had a great time today. I haven't been this motivated to keep grinding and getting better in a while. I did okay in melee pools but totally threw a match just because I thought "oh im in the lead, i got this."

Looks like I still need work on preventing myself from going on auto pilot.

shaowebb

MK and KOF are somewhat similar in their skill progressions.

KOF still takes a bit more work, but overall it's really difficult to get to the "real" game when the vast majority of players who play it don't bother going that far into it, since basic offensive gimmicks can have very high rewards. Learning setups and converting is easy, defending against it is not.

I don't think this will be a problem as MKX ages, though. I think MKX will eventually have an even bigger -top player pool- than MK9 or Injustice ever had.

Agreed on all points. Especially the last one about growth. NRS has very low entry barrier to their stuff and I think it helps them to draw in a lot of fresh faces and talent with each new game since MK9. MKX has a lot of push behind it and its very popular amongst all levels of player so I feel it having a large pool of top players emerging for it is a pretty fair prediction.

Once folks get used to inputting ->,-> to run in the middle of combos it'll take off for them. Its a big reason why I wish you could upload combos and play them in a rhythm style game vs a ghost of the player in the upload. Slow it down to so many beats and have the input glow when to hit it then with each successful progression of the combo you have to do it in a speed closer and closer to the original until you are actually doing it naturally. I feel if combos were shareable and taught in this manner it'd be a nice little rhythm game that'd actually teach people not only tech, but timing and how to relax during inputs instead of panic and try to just mash faster and faster. Setup a metronome, a glow over the inputs when to hit them and confirm sounds when you hit the input all to reaffirm the player of the combo's timing and it'd be a lot better than current "challenge modes" I've seen. Combos are like music...going faster doesn't make them better.

shaowebb

Yeah. Like Footsies, general fighting game knowledge that is taken for granted.

I'd love to see someone try to play A-List Johnny Cage without knowing how to run cancel.

Hell that character is cancels in general. He's very unique in that variation compared to the rest of the cast. Almost capcom like in that he can just sort of makeup his own stuff via his options to cancel out of so many things. Its like he can use nonstring stuff in a string based fighter.

Maybe some day we'll see a rhythm game setup for combo training with an upload and share feature. I think that should be the next mode after a solid training mode for teaching the concept of things like crossups, mixups, and overheads etc to new players. Hell I'd make the tutorial mode reward a shitload of "funbuck Kombat Koins" or their equivalent just to make folks play it.

Agreed on all points. Especially the last one about growth. NRS has very low entry barrier to their stuff and I think it helps them to draw in a lot of fresh faces and talent with each new game since MK9. MKX has a lot of push behind it and its very popular amongst all levels of player so I feel it having a large pool of top players emerging for it is a pretty fair prediction.

Once folks get used to inputting ->,-> to run in the middle of combos it'll take off for them. Its a big reason why I wish you could upload combos and play them in a rhythm style game vs a ghost of the player in the upload. Slow it down to so many beats and have the input glow when to hit it then with each successful progression of the combo you have to do it in a speed closer and closer to the original until you are actually doing it naturally. I feel if combos were shareable and taught in this manner it'd be a nice little rhythm game that'd actually teach people not only tech, but timing and how to relax during inputs instead of panic and try to just mash faster and faster. Setup a metronome, a glow over the inputs when to hit them and confirm sounds when you hit the input all to reaffirm the player of the combo's timing and it'd be a lot better than current "challenge modes" I've seen. Combos are like music...going faster doesn't make them better.

You know what, that's a brilliant idea. I'm dead serious. Get some of the folks from the Osu! PC game and you can make a brilliant advanced combo tutorial.

I'd be so down for combo rhythm training.

Hell that character is cancels in general. He's very unique in that variation compared to the rest of the cast. Almost capcom like in that he can just sort of makeup his own stuff via his options to cancel out of so many things. Its like he can use nonstring stuff in a string based fighter.

Maybe some day we'll see a rhythm game setup for combo training with an upload and share feature. I think that should be the next mode after a solid training mode for teaching the concept of things like crossups, mixups, and overheads etc to new players. Hell I'd make the tutorial mode reward a shitload of "funbuck Kombat Koins" or their equivalent just to make folks play it.

Basically what more games need is the Tekken training mode, where buttons are given distinct tones and are played back so you can "hear" their timing, but with full combos.

The issue with that is that the same combo can be done in different ways depending on the leniency of the input system, but I suppose for beginners it is useful to consider only one way to do a particular combo.

Top Bottom