• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

My life has no meaning, I am not even motivated to play any of these games. I am watching NWM and all I can think of to occupy my self with is studying Kanji flash cards.

shaowebb

My life has no meaning, I am not even motivated to play any of these games. I am watching NWM and all I can think of to occupy my self with is studying Kanji flash cards.

Do like me...start making assets for your own game ;)
Carries you through the dry periods reaaaaaaaaaally well.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I can't to a username quote cause I'm on mobile and sorta drunk but

fader

Basically what more games need is the Tekken training mode, where buttons are given distinct tones and are played back so you can "hear" their timing, but with full combos.

The issue with that is that the same combo can be done in different ways depending on the leniency of the input system, but I suppose for beginners it is useful to consider only one way to do a particular combo.

I always thought rhythm mini games in Fighting games should go hand and hand.

Agreed on all points. Especially the last one about growth. NRS has very low entry barrier to their stuff and I think it helps them to draw in a lot of fresh faces and talent with each new game since MK9. MKX has a lot of push behind it and its very popular amongst all levels of player so I feel it having a large pool of top players emerging for it is a pretty fair prediction.

Once folks get used to inputting ->,-> to run in the middle of combos it'll take off for them. Its a big reason why I wish you could upload combos and play them in a rhythm style game vs a ghost of the player in the upload. Slow it down to so many beats and have the input glow when to hit it then with each successful progression of the combo you have to do it in a speed closer and closer to the original until you are actually doing it naturally. I feel if combos were shareable and taught in this manner it'd be a nice little rhythm game that'd actually teach people not only tech, but timing and how to relax during inputs instead of panic and try to just mash faster and faster. Setup a metronome, a glow over the inputs when to hit them and confirm sounds when you hit the input all to reaffirm the player of the combo's timing and it'd be a lot better than current "challenge modes" I've seen. Combos are like music...going faster doesn't make them better.

This. I have a friend who has been teaching me higher level stuff and this would be great for me. Thanks for the ATL playlist too, I think my friend went or at least wanted to. We'll sit down and watch that stuff at some point.

Accoun

Why does fab always seem to lose most of his Bob's health right in the beginning of the round and then climbing up from it?

CPS2

MK just clicked for me.

Feels good, man.
I found with MK9 after a while it stopped feeling like "this is a dial-a-combo" and it just felt like a normal fighting game. Like there's a point where you stop noticing the execution. I still kinda dislike that combo system but its only that one aspect of it. I actually REALLY like how juggles work in MK, as opposed to juggle points in SF which is really unintuitive. Maybe a mix of SF's cancels, links and target combos with MK's juggles would be cool.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What's been going on? I've been trying to watch NWM but the first stream hasn't been up from the couple times I've tried.

zlatko

Banned
MKX is feeling so good everytime I play it.

My Takeda is solid and I keep advancing a lot of good high low game, footsies, etc. I just wish my main was one of the more techhnically advanced characters which is the ones I like style wise the most.

Reptile, Cassie Cage, and Kenshi are those characters. I'd love to be a Cassie main since she's 100% swag, but run combos are a headache online. Reptile on the other hand has some doable combos online, but it's such low damage compared to a lot of the other cast. Kenshi, same problem. Run combos, low damage unless you can do them, etc.

I'm eagerly awaiting Tremor. I hope he's a bad ass that I can do the combos of. He looks great so far from images.

Tripon

wait who's the Japanese guy on the VGBC stream

Ayuha. Runs Shi Gaming, which is the channel that streams the Japanese tournaments. Also a Twitch employee that was recently hired to help cover Smash in Japan.

Edit: The fuck is this Smash 4 Chokagi doubles tournament? LOL.

Top Bottom