• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

Dahbomb

"kaneblueriver 3-0's chris g"

that sure is a line i never imagined seeing ever
H02Ma1J.gif

pixelish

why is there a sub mode for a stream that only has 7k viewers and no subs? even capcomfighters didn't turn sub mode on throughout ncr and final round which had around 60k viewers.

Sheroking

As long as Evo keeps running late and keeps having a totally packed and fucked up schedule on Sunday, I doubt it. The number of viewers hasn't really been increasing in the last couple of years AFAIK.

Well, the last two years Melee set the record and Marvel broke it.

It was only about a 5k peak difference though at about ~145k

kitzkozan

would be preferable to the stream chat at the moment

I clicked on a link while checking GAF yesterday which directed me toward one of the NWM stream. I had the displeasure of briefly seeing the chat and there was one troll doing the tired routine of the white supremacist. Always somewhat effective trolling given the diverse community among the FGC. XD

I fail to see the point of these chat given that they are just a lighting rod for inane comments and bombarding it with dumb emoticons. :p

why is there a sub mode for a stream that only has 7k viewers and no subs? even capcomfighters didn't turn sub mode on throughout ncr and final round which had around 60k viewers.

Khaos seem to be money hungry as hell. They went to sub only earlier and begged for subs lol, and they followed up on their "threat" to go to sub only during Marvel top 8

Btw did Fchamp ever apologize to KOG? How was that resolved?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It's okay guys. KBR is the only person who actually still practices this game.

Which makes it even worse cause when he faces F. Champ, he looks like a baby holding a fight stick. He can't do anything against Champ's immaculate zoning ;_;

Well, the last two years Melee set the record and Marvel broke it.

It was only about a 5k peak difference though at about ~145k

Another reason why EVO always loses viewers before the last top 8 is due them doing awards/announcements. Why they do this I will never know. They should just do the awards after the entire tournament is over.

Another reason why EVO always loses viewers before the last top 8 is due them doing awards/announcements. Why they do this I will never know. They should just do the awards after the entire tournament is over.

My idea is that they want everyone to be recognized on stream and so they think that since the game that everyone wants to watch will be right after and that people will stick around to watch. What I think actually ends up happening is that people think that EVO is over due to the awards being presented and tune out.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I don't know the logistics that go into making EVO run as smoothly as possible but it can't be that difficult to handle announcements (pertaining to non-game announcements, such as a combo video or tournament trailer) and awards (unless its a trailer or short announcement) at the end of all top 8's. Question is, don't they have the main stage plus two other smaller main stages? I might be confusing the stage set up with CEO's but they can run two games at once on the other smaller stages on two of the EVO streams so it can cut down on time. I only suggest that since the beginning top 8 games on Final's day don't have the biggest numbers of players who registered, hence why they are being played that early. Which in turn would make it reasonable to play both at the same time, however that would cause a problem for player's who want to watch both or are in both top 8's.

Sheroking

My feeling is they do awards because some people leave the venue before the end of Street Fighter. That, and you need set-up time.

Announcements? Well, I don't think that kills viewership or hype if it's the right thing. Maybe don't let your surprise announcement leak via projector the night before. This year they've got SF5 stuff and I want that more than I do top-8 USF4 lol.

My idea is that they want everyone to be recognized on stream and so they think that since the game that everyone wants to watch will be right after and that people will stick around to watch. What I think actually ends up happening is that people think that EVO is over due to the awards being presented and tune out.

That's exactly what happens. Although even if the tournament was over, the awards would still get 80k viewers. That's enough recognition.

Only SFV new info during awards can save EVO from losing viewers.

Top Bottom