• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

xCobalt

I really want to get one started. Not sure how many other Canadian Gaffers that are going except for me you and Vulva.

Canada got this free tho

I was thinking of going this year but I decided to hold out and wait for next year. I'll probably be moving on from my current job by that time and SFV will be out. It'll be the perfect time I think.

Skab

『Inaba Resident』;160562419 said:
So apparently a lot of the frame data listed in MKX is straight up wrong.
Not sure how a developer manages to do that.

It's because the data isn't generated automatically by the game, but is instead entered by hand by the devs. So as builds change and frames change, things need to be updated which seemingly doesn't happen.

Injustice was the same way.

16BitNova

In SF4, if you press a button lower in the input priority chain (HK->HP->MK->MP->LK->LP->Select) on the frame after you press another button, it counts the "higher" button as being pressed two frames in a row. This means every link becomes 1 frame "longer." As you can imagine, this is really, really useful for characters with lots of tight links once you practice it.
So in a sense it's good that this is being removed right? Since it's pretty much a bug/glitch thus cheating.

So in a sense it's good that this is being removed right? Since it's pretty much a bug/glitch thus cheating.

Plinking isn't going anywhere. Plinking with the select button is going away... probably.

In any case, plinking is a happy accident that has been kept in the game since vanilla. It's not a glitch, it's a hidden feature.

Fraeon

It's not really cheating since having access to it still means you have to pull off those tight links. A 1 frame link window becoming 2 frames still means you have to time your button presses.

And I don't think anyone considers plinking a bug at this point. If the dev team had, it'd have been removed... there's been plenty of time to do that.

Yup. Plus, without plinking some characters would really suffer - Rufus is the best example as if he can't get his 1-frame (but plinkable) BnB he's a very poor character.

Dahbomb

It's not cheating, it's similar to using in-game mechanics to do option selects.

The real grey area from plinking comes from the fact that you have to rewire your stick to move the Select button closer to the light buttons. The modding of stick is where some people take issues not with the mechanic itself.

There are many more fighters with a lot of mechanics that are as bad or worse than this. Remember that combos used to be a bug/glitch too... it wasn't considered cheating to do combos in SF2 just because it was a glitch in the system or it wasn't intended by the developers.

Anything in a game goes unless it's banned specifically by a tournament.

Laconic

Banned
It's not cheating, it's similar to using in-game mechanics to do option selects.

The real grey area from plinking comes from the fact that you have to rewire your stick to move the Select button closer to the light buttons. The modding of stick is where some people take issues not with the mechanic itself.

There are many more fighters with a lot of mechanics that are as bad or worse than this. Remember that combos used to be a bug/glitch too... it wasn't considered cheating to do combos in SF2 just because it was a glitch in the system or it wasn't intended by the developers.

Anything in a game goes unless it's banned specifically by a tournament.

Technically, this isn't correct, though, is it?

I mean, according to interviews I've read, the Capcom team in charge of Street Fighter 2 were well aware of combos during development.

They even played around with the idea of juggles and other zaniness, that would make it into other games such as A3, 3S, and Dark Stalkers.

Anne

Even then I don't understand how remapping select would be frowned upon. It's just moving it to a different spot.

Dahbomb

It wasn't an anticipated application of the mechanic that's for sure.

Like it's basically the same thing as plinking. They put in a mechanic to make something easier and it was used for another purpose which was not anticipated but they let it rock.

FSLink

Banned
Technically, this isn't correct, though, is it?

I mean, according to interviews I've read, the Capcom team in charge of Street Fighter 2 were well aware of combos during development.

They even played around with the idea of juggles and other zaniness, that would make it into other games such as A3, 3S, and Dark Stalkers.

Yup. It was more of an accident that happened out of making the inputs more lenient that they intentionally left in.

Shouta

Two ways you can think of it. Pad players don't have the ability to readily modify their equipment to do that without a lot of extra hurdles.

The other, more legitimate reason is that equipment should be standard for everyone with customization only being allowed in the situation that the player is physically unable to use standard control methods, i.e. for their comfort. Most competitions, specifically pro sports, require equipment to be standardized aside for tailoring it to the player. It makes the playing field even for everyone. In essence, a modified stick is like a corked bat.

Plinking itself is a system mechanics and accepted by Capcom devs so there's really nothing wrong with using that itself. Select plinking is kinda blegh to me from the above standpoint though.

Two ways you can think of it. Pad players don't have the ability to readily modify their equipment to do that without a lot of extra hurdles.

The other, more legitimate reason is that equipment should be standard for everyone with customization only being allowed in the situation that the player is physically unable to use standard control methods, i.e. for their comfort. Most competitions, specifically pro sports, require equipment to be standardized aside for tailoring it to the player. It makes the playing field even for everyone. In essence, a modified stick is like a corked bat.
Or a deflated football..

Tik-Tok

I agree. But I know other people feel differently. see full schedule discussions.

Laconic

Banned

Plinking itself is a system mechanics and accepted by Capcom devs so there's really nothing wrong with using that itself. Select plinking is kinda blegh to me from the above standpoint though.

I like having an extra button just to fuck with heavy listeners.

Would that be okay? :p

Shouta

I agree. But I know other people feel differently. see full schedule discussions.

Yeah, I actually was OK with his stick on the basis that it was deemed viable but the more I think about it, the more that a standard needs to be set so that every competitor is on the same playing field. It's cool what Full Schedule or Tokido can do but at the same time, I think it's advantage that not everyone can use at all. I definitely think standardized equipment is needed for legitimacy in the long run.

I like having an extra button just to fuck with heavy listeners.

Would that be okay? :p

Technically yes. You have 8 face buttons, just don't assign commands to them and you're good, lol

Most competitions, specifically pro sports, require equipment to be standardized aside for tailoring it to the player. It makes the playing field even for everyone.

Does it really? It seems like the opposite to me. Forcing people to use one method just because it's convenient, versus letting people use whatever is actually most comfortable for them. If it isn't breaking the rules the game itself has set or the laws of physics, like mapping a combo to a single button press or turbo inputs, then I don't see the problem.

In essence, a modified stick is like a corked bat.

I don't follow baseball, what's special about corked bats?

Just have EVO on cabs there problem solved.

I don't care about you pad players!

Does it really? It seems like the opposite to me. Forcing people to use one method just because it's convenient, versus letting people use whatever is actually most comfortable for them. If it isn't breaking the rules the game itself has set or the laws of physics, like mapping a combo to a single button press or turbo inputs, then I don't see the problem.

It's illegal.

That cutoff at the end of ATP live was perfect. Tom Brady's bitch calling was good. Also, he's really has that MK knowledge. I don't understand why anyone hates him.

Laconic

Banned

Corked bats are to baseball as Chun Li's c.MK is to 3S.

CPS2

Yeah, I actually was OK with his stick on the basis that it was deemed viable but the more I think about it, the more that a standard needs to be set so that every competitor is on the same playing field. It's cool what Full Schedule or Tokido can do but at the same time, I think it's advantage that not everyone can use at all. I definitely think standardized equipment is needed for legitimacy in the long run.
I thought standard controls were necessary because I assume games aren't balanced around the random customisations that players think of, or even the tricks available when you allow all the in-game macros, including duplication of inputs. You really can't make everyone happy with this though, its a bit like steroids. Maybe there should be clean and dirty input tournaments (dirty input tournaments also allowing competitors to use adderall).

Shouta

That's where the second argument comes into play. The even playing field by standardizing equipment.

Corked bats make them ligher, they supposedly let the batter swing it faster for easier timing on pitches. It's against the rules because modifying equipment for an unfair advantage is illegal mostly because it can lead to more crazy shit if you allow some stuff. Sliippery slope argument and all that.

I thought standard controls were necessary because I assume games aren't balanced around the random customisations that players think of, or even the tricks available when you allow all the in-game macros, including duplication of inputs. You really can't make everyone happy with this though, its a bit like steroids. Maybe there should be clean and dirty input tournaments (dirty input tournaments also allowing competitors to use adderall).

That's one way to think about it as well. Not everyone will be happy but being fair to everyone usually ends up taking precedence, heh.

Anne

We could go back to the good old days where people would hide turbo inputs in sticks or ask you to play on rigged set ups. Those are some fun stories.

Swarna

If there's backward stick compatibility I don't see why s-plinking won't be in. They should just allow us to rebind every key (including Start/Select) in-game like the PC version.

Gonna be extremely dumb if the game releases and there's no way to plink jabs after all this time.

sikvod00

Banned
I told the JPs at FR about select plinking not being around for the PS4 version possibly and the first thing they said was "Poor Bonchan, how is he gonna be able to play Sagat now!?" lol
Was this their expression when they said that?

D8DiFRQ.png

Either way, going forward in Ultra Bonchan needs to pick up a new char if he wants a better shot at winning stacked majors. He has pushed the character Sagat to its absolutely limits. His ability to fight bad matchups and just block and do nothing but throw tigers shots is amazing, but competition is too fierce now. What the hell can he improve on? *cough*don't lose to zonks*cough*

Daigo made the smart decision to pick a top tier character to increase his success, and it just happened to be a shoto (surprise, surprise) so the learning curve was easier. The transition was definitely rough, but look at him now. Trolling with hop kicks, obvious demon setups and just general bullying in the corner. Ryu is irrelevant.

pixelish

the argument of having standardised controller is already flawed when we have pad/hitbox/keyboard players to deal with.

Nyoro SF

the argument of having standardised controller is already flawed when we have pad/hitbox/keyboard players to deal with.

It's not at all hard to create a standard list of joysticks, pads and keyboards that adhere to the game rules of in-game button assignment.

gutabo

Wow that was some read Gutabo, thanks for posting. Sounds like it was a stressful time.

Nice writeup gutabo. Should turn it into an article somewhere, good read.

Thanks for the write-up, it was an interesting read.

so the JDCR issue seems to mostly be communication issue with a lot of assumptions. Well JDCR seemed to enjoy Peru (based of his stream and pictures) but didn't enjoy the tournament experience which sucks because that's why he was there.

JDCR sounds really spoiled.

Nice writeup Gutabo. It was an interesting read.

Great write-up, gutabo! Seems like it was folks getting in over their heads and some expectations not being tempered to some degree.

Thanks guys for the feedback! I'm glad you liked it even tho it's about an issue we had recently.

I don't get what the TOs were trying to achieve by dedicating the majority of their budget to accommodate one player. They pretty much had nothing left for the tournament itself.

I dont get this either. Did JDCR being there make it a better event for local scene? Local players interests first....

Well they had a local player win the tournament so that's good for their scene I guess?

Maybe they wanted to hype up the event and or cover those expenses on the backend, but you have to take care of the locals first and have those logistics handled before spending a bunch of money to fly someone else in.

Regarding the TOs, I think there were plenty of good intentions tainted by a lack of understanding of what they were doing, why and how. I think they saw how we brought some other distinguished visitors here(successfully) and said "hey, we love tekken, let's do the same for our scene" while thinking with their hearts and not doing some real numbers before, or not really knowing anything about JDCR's expectations(and handling them very poorly). There are many reasons why bringing a top player here is better for the scene as a whole rather than sending one to a tourney(like EVO) but we have to do it the right way. What happened with JDCR was possibly the worst case scenario(well, not really the worst, but you know what I mean). Finally, our Tekken community is one of the most unorganized ones and even tho we have some very good players we don't have well known TOs and it's mostly tons of people playing in vicios and challenging each other via facebook.

Anne

It's not at all hard to create a standard list of joysticks, pads and keyboards that adhere to the game rules of in-game button assignment.

What do you do when somebody rewires one of those to allow something you can't see? You can't just look at a stick and know if it's wired to have select in a different spot unless you open it up every time somebody is going to use it.

Again, there have been a lot of mods and such over the years to allow for easier input stuff that you just can't see or tell without using the thing yourself. Listening to old man stories about people having hidden turbos a long time ago tells me that used to be a thing people did.

I told the JPs at FR about select plinking not being around for the PS4 version possibly and the first thing they said was "Poor Bonchan, how is he gonna be able to play Sagat now!?" lol

RIP Bonchan
RIP Evil Ryu's character specific combo that only works on Rufus.

To be honest I wouldn't have minded that 1f buffer at all if it was supposed to be a "new feature" in USF4. Maybe they felt it was too drastic of a change, who knows. Just that 1f alone would have made life much easier for intermediate players, and top players would almost never drop a link. I would like to see this added to SFV so it's not as execution heavy as the SF4 series. Makes it easier for people who are starting up since that is one of the things that Capcom is aiming for.

Shouta

Like Nyoro said. You could easily standardize it by making a list of guidelines for each. Sticks, pads, and keyboards have standard construction nowadays anyway. Only Hitboxes are kind of different.

Top Bottom