• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

In a way it feels like the release of MKX is the final nail in the coffin of the American hope of winning Capcom Cup. The new game is out, tons of viewers, plenty of CPM, a pro league with plenty of money, and the rest of the world outside of America and most of Europe(I guess) don't give a damn. Meaning easier comp unless new prodigies emerge quickly. Honestly I wouldn't blame someone like Jwong if he went hard on MKX the rest of the year and only continues playing USF4 with his current knowledge of the game.

I know this won't apply to every top American player, but it does look like several have jumped on board the new hotness.

fader

It's important for him because his cr. LP is his only 3f attack and he needs that for counter poking when people are in his grill. And cr. LP is +3 on hit, so you need to be able to hit that 1f link to get actual damage out of it. Otherwise you get one cr. LP to push your opponent away and that's it.

i see...

Unicorn

Anyone on West Coast wanna play some Skullgirls? It's Beowulf day, but I'm dusting off my Eliza
KuGsj.gif

In a way it feels like the release of MKX is the final nail in the coffin of the American hope of winning Capcom Cup. The new game is out, tons of viewers, plenty of CPM, a pro league with plenty of money, and the rest of the world outside of America and most of Europe(I guess) don't give a damn. Meaning easier comp unless new prodigies emerge quickly. Honestly I wouldn't blame someone like Jwong if he went hard on MKX the rest of the year and only continues playing USF4 with his current knowledge of the game.

I know this won't apply to every top American player, but it does look like several have jumped on board the new hotness.

To be fair, Justin Wong is the US National Champ for MK9.

Nyoro SF

This might be true, but surely the better outcome is to have those people playing Tekken?

They wouldn't have played it whether Lucky Chloe was a thing or not. They just wanted an avenue to out their false outrage... it doesn't matter which game the outrage is pointed at.

Rather than think of them as potential players, they're just a disease.

A Tekken player or potential Tekken player is not going to abandon the next game because a character they don't like the visual appearance of is in it. If they would they're not worth retaining anyway.

A Tekken player or potential Tekken player is not going to abandon the next game because a character they don't like the visual appearance of is in it. If they would they're not worth retaining anyway.

I get what you are trying to say, but if past history is any judge, Tekken players will abandon the game if a bird flies over.

I don't see what the character adds.

Nyoro SF

I get what you are trying to say, but if past history is any judge, Tekken players will abandon the game if a bird flies over.

I don't see what the character adds.

LOL, that's even more mean than what I said...

Let's say Lucky Chloe is a waste of a character slot (I personally don't like the way she looks or acts, but I haven't seen her gameplay at all yet) there's still so much content in Tekken games that you can just pass her over. After all if there's one thing that Tekken is really good at it's having a diverse roster.

Ultimately even if she's a waste she's not a downer on the game because there's just so much in the game the negativeness of it is negligible.

Good.

The faster SF4 dies the faster SF5 comes. All of America should abandon SF4 so Capcom can panic and give us SF5 already.

I thought standard controls were necessary because I assume games aren't balanced around the random customisations that players think of
Depends on the game. EXVS is a three button game and you can ask Shouta about all the wacky button assignments for controllers you can do on the console version. None of that has as much of an impact on game play compared to the difference in double tapping direction on a button or stick.

Dahbomb

Oh man haha Aris and Rip tried to bypass the netcode by making Rip Shareplay his MKX with Aris and Aris took control of player 1 in offline versus while Rip took control of player 2 on his system.

Aris had to deal with sub 720p graphics and the lag was still unsatisfactory though :(

EDIT: I should mention I'm talking about MKX
LMAO @ the struggle...

jbug617

Banned

They just riding out the new hotness. Eventually they will return back to USF4.

Vice

They just riding out the new hotness. Eventually they will return back to USF4.
I think some players who did well in MK9 will focus on MKX over Ultra. They understandnit's a better investment of time to scoop up the majority of MKx prize money than try to qualify for Capcom Cup where every event has had a top 8 full of killers with competition that will only get stiffer as Capcom Cup finals get closer.

For example, Justin has a mich higher chance of winning MKX events and Marvel over SF4 ones. With plenty of guaranteed prize money it would make more sense for him to grind those.

zlatko

Banned
How's MKX going for everyone?

I've played with 90% of the cast trying to experiment on my own to do combos that I can pull off, and always break 30% without issues.

VERY hard to do. I lucked out in that only ONE of the characters I would potentially main I can do 30% to 40% without real issues anywhere on screen with, and I like his play style in this.

Kano.

Amazing dash, amazing strings, super easy combos, big damage, etc. I feel he's a monster in pro tournament setting.

I would love if I was good with:

Takeda
Kenshi
Cassie Cage
Reptile

Sadly I can't do much with all 4 of them. MAYBE I could get good at Reptile, but he has to work so much harder than Kano. All 4 of them do.

Sayad

Oh man haha Aris and Rip tried to bypass the netcode by making Rip Shareplay his MKX with Aris and Aris took control of player 1 in offline versus while Rip took control of player 2 on his system.

Aris had to deal with sub 720p graphics and the lag was still unsatisfactory though :(

EDIT: I should mention I'm talking about MKX
A lot of people are doing this to bypass the region lock over here. Doing it to bypass the netcode though is hilarious, when streaming a 60fps/720p video on a system level works better than than your fighting game netcode, you done goofed NRS.

KingV

A lot of people are doing this to bypass the region lock over here. Doing it to bypass the netcode though is hilarious, when streaming a 60fps/720p video on a system level works better than than your fighting game netcode, you done goofed NRS.

One player has the advantage gage in share play though, because the host will experience no lag. Usually fighting games use lockstep networkin, so theoretically both players should have identical lag.

fader

enjoying Liu Kang, DVorah and Sonya Blade, would love to enjoy this game more but as a PC only gamer I am getting the big blunt of the shit storm. I don't see my self continuing with this game if the issues never get fixed. (good thing I bought this game for cheap...)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dora: A difference from the previous version is that defensive tools have been made weaker. Fewer characters can expect high damage from a reversal, or to maintain a good situation afterward. As a result, if you don’t have strong defense, it’s hard to win. The competitiveness of the game has risen, and of the players that used strong characters and won, we know now which one of them were ‘real’ so it’s an interesting version. It’s a game made for hard workers so it’s worth a look.

<3 Dora, also America to never play it now

Astarte

Played a few hours of it in between times where I'm facerolling Dungeon Fighter and it's pretty enjoyable. It's not something that I'll stick with but I sort of like it. Still not a fan of how everything moves though

I'm liking mkX idk If I'm going to stick with it tho. This will probably hold me over till sfv comes out. I don't like the run mechanic at all it would be better suited as a button press. Also controls are too loose for me as well. Net code is shit too. Still a decent game.

I was talking to my dad about the game and he asked me who I used and I said scorpion he laughed and called me a sucker and said subzero is a better character And he doesn't know why I've stuck with scorpion for so long. I didn't realize that I've been playing scorpion for almost 20 years now that is some crazy shit time goes by fast.

CPS2

I might just wait for the goty or whatever version of MKX. Fix yer damn netcode pls. I work with a few people who seem into it but yet to see if they're mashers or not.

.la1n

It still feels a little stiff to me but much better than MK 9 or Injustice. Offline is great fun but as everyone else said the netcode is butt.

I'm still enjoying Killer Instinct more as far as current gen offerings. I'll keep grinding out MK X though and hope they improve the netcode, unfortunate for a game to do so much right and fall down where it's most important.

CPS2

&#12302;Inaba Resident&#12303;;160620559 said:
Apparently the patch that came out a few hours ago improves the netcode.
Max played some matches online and said it feels great.
Sweet. If there's some more good impressions I'll pick it up. I think there'd be a shitload of people playing this but I just want to make sure it works.

Top Bottom