• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Tripon

El Fuerte has the stereotypes down to a pat, he even has the yellow fever. He is willing to do some Mexican on Mexican crime because T Hawk dissed his waifu.
I always thought Rainbow Mika as a white person who had to take a Japanese stage name in order to survive in the Japanese pro scene.

Shouta

Added a note to the sheet but the person that went and helped with Q last year can't be into Vegas until Friday night which leaves Q without support for 2 days. We're going to need to pick up a different ticket and Badge for the guy that can come with Q from Cali.

I'll leave the ticket open for Enigma if he wants to come to Evo on Friday night so he'll have a way back to Cali with Q and the other guy. I can eat the cost on that no problem since we''re good on donations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CaY-ivbUOZpjdHwDw0ZLATnMDIWTfNMfNbYwzWwBvEg/edit#gid=0

joe2187

Banned
I never noticed that Birdie's critical art plants you into the ground loony toons style when it K.Os

a9Yku2M.png

Added a note to the sheet but the person that went and helped with Q last year can't be into Vegas until Friday night which leaves Q without support for 2 days. We're going to need to pick up a different ticket and Badge for the guy that can come with Q from Cali.

I'll leave the ticket open for Enigma if he wants to come to Evo on Friday night so he'll have a way back to Cali with Q and the other guy. I can eat the cost on that no problem since we''re good on donations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CaY-ivbUOZpjdHwDw0ZLATnMDIWTfNMfNbYwzWwBvEg/edit#gid=0

We sending Q to EVO again? I've been out of the loop with this thread but I can throw another 20 in for Q.

I think you guys are just making shit up and saying its stereotypes now

I agree. Yea seriously? What's wrong with you guys!

I always thought Rainbow Mika as a white person who had to take a Japanese stage name in order to survive in the Japanese pro scene.

Now that's weird. I thought Japan loves white people! Capcom already did the weaboo thing with Sodom (who is a white guy trying to act Japanese).

But anyways, I decided to check it out and she seems to be Japanese. On the wiki it just says after junior high school she decided to become a pro-wrestler and her real name Mika Nanakawa. Maybe it's no coincidence she is also voiced by Naruto's VA (or maybe she just has a thing for voicing screaming blondes).

On another note, Dudley's perceived Britishness far exceeds any argument that he is Black/Indian/Whatever. Just look at this guy when he fights dirty.

Teacup counter should be his V-Trigger if he ever makes it in.

If Capcom is targeting surprising characters for SFV, maybe Mike from SF1 has a chance.

dude was already greying in SF1, if they bring him back i hope they spin him off as the older/experienced boxer
sfus0027.png

they need to differentiate him from Balrog, they had almost the same back story. make Mike a little more likeable and less evil/greedy than Balrog. the TJ Combo redesign was basically how I always pictured Mike looking like if they brought him back, except that he would have some grey hair:
killer_instinct__2013__season_2__tj_combo_evo_2014_by_wolpack-d7q8ufk.png

maxresdefault.jpg

CO_Andy

Mike has about as much chance as Joe making it in (also: Joe = Cody).

What everyone should be asking is when will Mayor Mike make it in :(

He's only like the most requested Capcom character

shaowebb

So apparently there is a thing goin' round with the KoF XIII folks called a ratio chart.
Idea is that
  • you have 7 points
  • the roster is assigned point values (not the same as a tier list. Just a point value for this)
  • you have to make a 3 character team using just your 7 points

Here is the image of the ratio assignments.
sfNbOL0.jpg

I absolutely love this concept and would enjoy it done for both Marvel 2 and UMVC3. Anyone care to make a ratio chart? Remember its not based on tiers...seems to be based on forcing team build challenges so while some folks may represent a tier others might be getting high ratio values just to isolate common pairings.

shaowebb

I'd be down to setup ratio charts as a weekly thing to get some variety if anyone would stream a UMVC3 lobby for it. Rotate the ratio values each week and all that for funsies. Anyone down?

I'd be down to setup ratio charts as a weekly thing to get some variety if anyone would stream a UMVC3 lobby for it. Rotate the ratio values each week and all that for funsies. Anyone down?

I think there's only maybe 4-5 people left who still play Marvel on GAF, online or off.

shaowebb

I think there's only maybe 4-5 people left who still play Marvel on GAF, online or off.

Normal Marvel? Sure...but even I'd play fuck around ratio Marvel lol. I could set up some silly shenanigan seeds in the ratio each week and we could get a single night at the end of the week where the lobby opens and it streams. Its dumb fun not to be taken serious. Marvel when its not taken serious is still enjoyable. Its only when ya try to take Marvel serious that it shows its nature.

If there were some more tag fighters to choose from with large rosters I'd use them, but Marvel could be fun for ratios IMO. It'd keep it lighthearted and interesting seeing folks have to go with something like Chun/Nemesis to use Vergil or something. Ratio stuff does make me wish for more 3v3 tag fighters though...

So apparently there is a thing goin' round with the KoF XIII folks called a ratio chart.
Idea is that
  • you have 7 points
  • the roster is assigned point values (not the same as a tier list. Just a point value for this)

sfNbOL0.jpg

I absolutely love this concept and would enjoy it done for both Marvel 2 and UMVC3. Anyone care to make a ratio chart? Remember its not based on tiers...seems to be based on forcing team build challenges so while some folks may represent a tier others might be getting high ratio values just to isolate common pairings.

I swear its just ratio 5/4 on stream nowadays. When somebody picked Billy Kane at Stunfest I thought they were trollin

Rhapsody

Banned
Idea is that
  • you have 7 points

sfNbOL0.jpg

Benimaru in ratio 4 somewhat surprises me.

alstein

Idea is that =

I've seen it done for Marvel a few times.

Seyavesh

I've seen it done for Marvel a few times.

yeah i can think of the two or three revisions of the tier list that fchamp used for ratio tournies

i never saw one i really liked though... the rankings of chars beyond the top 3 is pretty divisive overall i suppose

shaowebb

yeah i can think of the two or three revisions of the tier list that fchamp used for ratio tournies

i never saw one i really liked though... the rankings of chars beyond the top 3 is pretty divisive overall i suppose

Tell ya what... I got bored waiting for posts and made a UMVC3 Ratio chart. It eliminates a lot of common pairings, but its seeded to leave a lot of shenanigans still in play. It only used a couple of tier stuff things I saw out there. Mainly just trying to get a spread on certain assists, strong anchors and what not. Some folks were tossed into stuff to get em more frequent use than we usually see. I can vary this thing up each week and start dropping random 4 and 5 ratio folk into lower columns to shake it up some. For now though, I thought I'd keep the ratio gentle on us all out there to force some less common stuff into play to make it more fun since its been so long.

Make some ratio teams out of this and we can try and just run sets this week using em. I'll even try. By now a lot of us are pure ass at the game anyhow so its all for funsies.

Seyavesh

Tell ya what... I got bored waiting for posts and made a UMVC3 Ratio chart. It eliminates a lot of common pairings, but its seeded to leave a lot of shenanigans still in play. It only used a couple of tier stuff things I saw out there. Mainly just trying to get a spread on certain assists, strong anchors and what not. Some folks were tossed into stuff to get em more frequent use than we usually see. I can vary this thing up each week and start dropping random 4 and 5 ratio folk into lower columns to shake it up some. For now though, I thought I'd keep the ratio gentle on us all out there to force some less common stuff into play to make it more fun since its been so long.

Make some ratio teams out of this and we can try and just run sets this week using em. I'll even try. By now a lot of us are pure ass at the game anyhow so its all for funsies.

i can see a few teams i can play on here that i know will wreck shop so i'm down for this, haha

the tier shaping is extremely bizarre to be but just as a method of differentiating teams its good enough

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I used Ghost Rider's cr. M to crossup on incoming

it was cool okay

None of my teams work here. Not even my shitty shit teams

shaowebb

i can see a few teams i can play on here that i know will wreck shop so i'm down for this, haha

Good. :D
I didn't want to make a ratio that was too painful. I left some good stuff up there. Just thinned out some common stuff is all.
If Nova is so high tier, how come I never see him in Marvel streams? >_>

Its not a tier list. Its a ratio chart. I put some folks here and there to thin out common pairings is all and to try and force more obscure teams for the more well rounded characters or higher tier assist holders. This ratio chart is in no way indicative of any true marvel tiers.

JeTmAn81

I would participate in this but I don't know about these ratios. Wesker a 5? Hulk a 4? Morrigan a 3?

edit: Hmm, team Kusoru is available. Don't let Beef play.

shaowebb

I would participate in this but I don't know about these ratios. Wesker a 5? Hulk a 4? Morrigan a 3?

Plan is to do a different ratio each week. Like I said...this one is gentle on the meatier teams being available. Idea is to force uncommon teams and for folks to try stuff they never would have otherwise. Marvel is hard to take super serious. Figured it was time to do something fresh and see if it could be fun doing this kind of ratio stuff. I know folks on TYM do a lot of lotto tournies and those are always pretty fun. You never know who suddenly will rise up in those! Be fun to see what oddball stuff starts pushing through in this each week.
edit: Hmm, team Kusoru is available. Don't let Beef play.

Not an accident ;)
Like I said...I left some good stuff up there if you want to try and use it. I even left Spidey/Doom in there.

ShinMaruku

Idea is that
  • you have 7 points

sfNbOL0.jpg
Why is my Trap Queen Yuri so high and my other trap queen Mai so low?

JeTmAn81

Plan is to do a different ratio each week. Like I said...this one is gentle on the meatier teams being available. Idea is to force uncommon teams and for folks to try stuff they never would have otherwise. Marvel is hard to take super serious. Figured it was time to do something fresh and see if it could be fun doing this kind of ratio stuff. I know folks on TYM do a lot of lotto tournies and those are always pretty fun. You never know who suddenly will rise up in those! Be fun to see what oddball stuff starts pushing through in this each week.

Not an accident ;)
Like I said...I left some good stuff up there if you want to try and use it. I even left Spidey/Doom in there.

Ok Imma pick Nemesis/Taskmaster/Sentinel

Imm0rt4l

The common consensus is that Dudley is Indian.

I think the fact tht Dudley doesn't have any ridiculous stereo typical black features and every other black character does is implication that he's not intended to be black
We're talking about a fighting game whose characters are solely based on stereotypes. I've never heard of a stereotype of Indian boxers. What we know is hes extremely british, he couldnt be more of a caricature if he tried. He's dark skinned, moreso than dhalsim. And features mean little in these games, black people always look weird in jp fighting games, you'd be hard pressed to find a black character with normal hair in one.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on black.

Top Bottom