• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

I own tekken tag 2 and have touched it twice. I keep telling myself whenever im free imma get back into tekken and never do.

Edit: i said 6... i meant tag2.. i can't even remember which version i own.

alstein

I play kof because it's in my DNA.

How the hell did I end up playing KOF? Am I secretly a pro wrestler's long-lost luchador twin or something?

But even then, as redneck as I sound, my masked wrestler archetype would be more Midnight Rider or Mr.Wrestling than La Parka

Razer is having a promotional event for their new products in Japan in 2 days. Saki Yoshida, a gravure idol, is the mc along with Tonpy?

Tonpy going to get sponsored by Razer?

supahkiwi

Banned
Keiko is streaming Ultra again. She's playing on PS4 now, her yang is getting better. LPN was in her channel the other day giving advice!

Twitch.tv/keikoqvq

Actual email I just got:

In Magic: The Gathering tournaments this situation is resolved when both players shake hands in the finals of their pool and intentionally draw(collusion) then eventually fight their way up the brackets, their draw causing other players with the exact same records as them to fall out of top 8. The final rounds are a clusterfuck of he-did-she-did tiebreaker math to determine who gets to shake hands and not actually play the final rounds of the tournament(more collusion), meaning people going 0-1(knocked into losers first round) basically are already out of top 8 because tiebreaker math is based on the people you beat rather than your own abilities and you're playing against losers.

What ultimately happens is 4-8 people having the exact same record(generally x-2) but only one or two making top 8 which is the difference between making 550 bucks and playing for 4000.

Also, these tournaments have comparable entry fees to FGC events and play for comparable prizes despite having as much as ten times the number of entrants that a typical FGC major gets.

Clawww

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169755188]
Also, these tournaments have comparable entry fees to FGC events and play for comparable prizes despite having as much as ten times the number of entrants that a typical FGC major gets.[/QUOTE]

what the hell

how does that racket fly

Astarte

Good news for Ramlethal fans: One of her new figures got a pretty awesome looking preview!

tumblr_nqh2aksfet1sh11j9o2_1280.jpg

Bad news for Ramlethal fans: Pay ~$155 dollaroonies for her

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169755188]In Magic: The Gathering tournaments this situation is resolved when both players shake hands in the finals of their pool and intentionally draw(collusion) then eventually fight their way up the brackets, their draw causing other players with the exact same records as them to fall out of top 8. The final rounds are a clusterfuck of he-did-she-did tiebreaker math to determine who gets to shake hands and not actually play the final rounds of the tournament(more collusion), meaning people going 0-1(knocked into losers first round) basically are already out of top 8 because tiebreaker math is based on the people you beat rather than your own abilities and you're playing against losers.

What ultimately happens is 4-8 people having the exact same record(generally x-2) but only one or two making top 8 which is the difference between making 550 bucks and playing for 4000.

Also, these tournaments have comparable entry fees to FGC events and play for comparable prizes despite having as much as ten times the number of entrants that a typical FGC major gets.[/QUOTE]
Why let people tie? MtG can't have a tie in practice...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169755188]In Magic: The Gathering tournaments this situation is resolved when both players shake hands in the finals of their pool and intentionally draw(collusion) then eventually fight their way up the brackets, their draw causing other players with the exact same records as them to fall out of top 8. The final rounds are a clusterfuck of he-did-she-did tiebreaker math to determine who gets to shake hands and not actually play the final rounds of the tournament(more collusion), meaning people going 0-1(knocked into losers first round) basically are already out of top 8 because tiebreaker math is based on the people you beat rather than your own abilities and you're playing against losers.

The person wasn't being serious about not wanting to knock ZeRo out. He's easily the best player in the world and the person who wrote that is just trying to get out of his pool to stand more of a chance.

Why let people tie? MtG can't have a tie in practice...
"time constraints" but it's really bullshit. You could solve the problem if you want, but apparently people like watching to see if their favorite player got top 8 or 17th despite it being completely out of their control(this exact scenario happened about three weeks ago). This situation is usually framed as "their" tiebreakers, implying some level of agency in the pairing of their 11-2 bracket versus someone else's 11-2 bracket.
what the hell

how does that racket fly

Magic decks can easily cost as much as a console, fight stick and game combined and half your deck rotates out of legality every year so you have to buy it again. And the decks that are good change constantly(often literally weekly) because of how complicated the game is, so sponsored players with unlimited card access have incredible advantages over people unwilling to spend hundreds of extra dollars a season to aquire the cards to build more than one deck.

The front side of one page in my card binder is worth enough money for a month's food and rent in San Francisco.

FG translator guy put up a translation for Daigo's visit on Topanga TV yesterday

no idea what his actual name is

Some interesting tidbits

★About Stunfest and Counter-pick

Daigo doesnt think E.Ryu is a solid pick against shoto. That's why he used Ryu against Momochi at Stunfest.
Daigo: Evil Ryu has damaging combos but its ground game is lacking compared to other shoto.
... but Momochi used Cody against Daigo's Ryu. Daigo carefully compared the risks between E.Ryu vs Ken and Ryu vs Cody. He then took the former risk over the latter.

Since Daigo practiced Ryu again (and also Ken), he understands better the strength and weakness of Ryu and E.Ryu and new E.Ryu techs against Ken.

Daigo once praciticed Guile as a sub character, but "a scrub Elena can beat any Guile like it's fatal, so it's not a good character to pick"

(Gamerbee used Elena instead of Adon against NuckleDu's Guile)
Daigo: Taiwan's hero was not satisfied with a 7-3 match up. He wanted a 8-2"
lmao
Daigo didn't wanna play E.Ryu mirror w/ XiaoHai. He studied the match before but it's such a short term memory, couldn't remember what to do. He found an old memo to himself for E.Ryu mirror, but he couldn't even decode what he meant in his own memo. lol

Daigo is very happy for being 5th place at SEAM. Doing combo was hard. In his pool, he's scared of Reiketsu (Vega beats E.Ryu) & Kim1234.

Daigo: Against Reiketsu, I lost a round and was like shit. But I realized that laggy environment would work against anybody, so I decided to take air superiority. And EX Ax Kick. It worked so well in Thailand.

After Kazunoko beat Momochi, Kazunoko was like "this setting is GODLIKE!!!"

Daigo: TO doesn't want too many already-qualified players to be in Top 8. They will start putting them together in the same pool or close.
Daigo's saying, maybe not in the same pools but "let's put these 8 qualified players in the pool 1-8 and non-qualified in 9-16"

public string rant = new string("

Man, my life really has sucked for the last four months.

Writing is on the wall at my current job. Apparently the entire schpiel about about fun and happy workplaces doesn't apply if you are autistic and screw up on the communication front a few times. Four months of my life up in smoke.

HR guy at work flat out told me today that they expect all new employees to meet prefixed standards, and the most important ones are to do with criticism, communication and direction. I don't fit the bill and was given a week to show them how amazingly godlike at fundamental human interaction I am. After all, I was failing but I did improve a bit, so obviously I could improve further, Aspergers be damned!

Nobody bats an eye if you're physically disabled. Mental disability though? Hahaha good joke.

Gonna get home and go mash out some trials on SF4 or something. Jesus Christ.

");

mbpm1

Daigo thinks we should play our hardest to win under the current rule set, which pushes TO for some creative rule change.
Mago's idea of new rule: You can use certain characters so many times in the tournament like playing cards. "Shit. I used Elena already! I can't use her any more!"

Mago: I heard Poonko gets shirtless b/c he really feels it's getting hot, not just for fun or anything.
Bonchan: That's so hentai lol
Daigo: He always loses after taking his shirt off, but he gets something out of it, beyond the win.
Mago: Yeah people love it and get hype.

Hmmmm

Bonchan: What's the title of your new book?
Daigo: It's "One Thing at a Time" like "What the Fuck am I Saying?"
Mago: Do you really wanna sell your book?
Daigo: Yes. It's going to sell 1000000 copies. :3

Lol

I own tekken tag 2 and have touched it twice. I keep telling myself whenever im free imma get back into tekken and never do.

Edit: i said 6... i meant tag2.. i can't even remember which version i own.

Yeah I got TTT2 when it was on sale to start learning since my co-worker plays it but then some other new releases came out and then crunchtime happened.

Maybe played it twice.

What happened last night? Arcade got denied a license? Probably the best thing to do it to make it a bar-cade or have other stuff besides arcade games. Diversify man.

Skilletor

They kept on saying laggy, was it the PS3 or the monitors SEAM was using?

I'd guess it was the PS3 version. The inherent lag + I kept seeing them random and getting stages with performance problems. Really annoyed me that the announcer at one point while I was watching said they should stop just choosing training stage and that the competitors should take into account viewer experience, that seeing the same stage over and over was boring for viewers. Like...you realize what version you're playing and what happens on these stages, right?

Top Bottom