• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Oh yes we had. In every street corner, every tiendita or farmacia had one, every bootleg arcade had shitloads of them and that's why i hate them so much.

If you wanted to play another thing that wasn't fucking kof you had to go out to more "nice" arcades, you wanted to play, i dunno, KI, SF3/ST, MK, MAHVEL, Jugglen, VF (kidding, no one played that ish) SC Vampire, etc you have to go to your nearest mall or more centric arcade which costed more, and also you had to add the expenses like food, drinks, transport, etc. Didn't botter me that much really since i had the money and later i got a job in El Centro de GDL so i had at least 2 hrs for lunch time and then a couple more after work to play.

Then arcades died and only survived those multigame arcades with hacked kof roms and got even worst.

WHO THE FUCK SAID THAT?? I want to kick him in the fucking spleen.

...When was the bolded? Because if you're talking about going to Moy to play there's a chance we could've played each other.

It was frustrating that that place was pretty much the only one that had anything worthwhile that wasn't hacked KoF as far as fighting games go, but at least it existed. Now everything is so outdated that people stopped going there as often (me included). At least it has the only KoF XIII machine that's not outdated I guess.

Skilletor

Does it bother anybody else that they haven't revealed any true newcomers for SFV?

Nah, seems to me they're highlighting how different this game is from SF4. Easiest to do that with known quantities.

New characters are coming. I can wait. Especially when the game looks so hot right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does it bother anybody else that they haven't revealed any true newcomers for SFV?
Yeah I thought they'd throw out at least one new one by now considering the rumoured limited number of characters total. That's the type of thing that definitely needs to be spread out a bit.

Nah, seems to me they're highlighting how different this game is from SF4. Easiest to do that with known quantities.

New characters are coming. I can wait. Especially when the game looks so hot right now.
Or, easier to do that with new characters lol

Dai101

Banned
...When was the bolded? Because if you're talking about going to Moy to play there's a chance we could've played each other.

It was frustrating that that place was pretty much the only one that had anything worthwhile that wasn't hacked KoF as far as fighting games go, but at least it existed. Now everything is so outdated that people stopped going there as often (me included). At least it has the only KoF XIII machine that's not outdated I guess.

Mid to late 90's and the first half of the new milenium. So yeah, probably we played against each other.

I worked near Moy pedro moreno from 95 to mid 96 and it was sure you'll find me there or in Galex pedro moreno a few blocks near Federalismo where they had EVERY CPS2 GAME EVER MADE!! those were fantastic, then i went on to other jobs/business but still roamed those 2 places whenever i had the chance to.

Is a shame both places doesn't exist anymore, well, exept Moy who moved to other location and still is the best place to play FG's in all Guadalajara.

Sheroking

If Killer Instinct is part of the SFV model, they may just have returning characters (with new twists) in the original batch and sprinkle some new ones in post-release content. Maybe only one or two new characters in the original batch?

Fair to say this game will start with ~16 characters and end with 30-40+.

Mid to late 90's and the first half of the new milenium. So yeah, probably we played against each other.

I worked near Moy pedro moreno from 95 to mid 96 and it was sure you'll find me there or in Galex pedro moreno a few blocks near Federalismo where they had EVERY CPS2 GAME EVER MADE!! those were fantastic, then i went on to other jobs/business but still roamed those 2 places whenever i had the chance to.

Is a shame both places doesn't exist anymore, well, exept Moy who moved to other location and still is the best place to play FG's in all Guadalajara.

Ah, so much earlier than I started being able to go to arcades by myself, so not a chance then. I was only 4 in 96 so yeah...

DRE Fei

I disagree. When you see Ryu do 2 crouch jabs and then fail at linking into a stronger normal due to range, that should tell you that this game is (mostly) not like SF4's confirm/combo system. They would not be able to communicate that through a new character because people would just assume it's just weird hit properties unique to them. I mean Cammy still has that crouch jab confirm shit, but as you can see her dive kick is very different from SF4.

fader

Skilletor

Yeah I thought they'd throw out at least one new one by now considering the rumoured limited number of characters total. That's the type of thing that definitely needs to be spread out a bit.

Easier for me to see how different things are with old characters in a new system than new characters in a new system. There are no differences to tell from a new character.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like its at SDCC
Hasn't Capcom been less and less involved at SDCC over the years?

I disagree. When you see Ryu do 2 crouch jabs and then fail at linking into a stronger normal due to range, that should tell you that this game is (mostly) not like SF4's confirm/combo system. They would not be able to communicate that through a new character because people would just assume it's just weird hit properties unique to them. I mean Cammy still has that crouch jab confirm shit, but as you can see her dive kick is very different from SF4.
Yeah, but that's not stuff 99% of people notice, people that are important. The hardcore FGC of course understand you would be ignorant to think it's just like SF4, but a lot of the reactions were and are "lol it looks just like SF4."

To some extent I think Skilletor is right about using known quantities, people can see the V-Gauge and it's various mechanics are very prominent and bam Ryu ain't the same because he's ingested Blanka's soul. Also, for all intents and purposes, showing Nash off and in the state he's in is a pretty big statement towards this is not SF4, he's effectively a new character for most. I just think in the same way that we expect different representations from all of the major series of SF to return, it's just as important to get a sense of what this next generation will offer, and to do that sooner rather than later. Perhaps they're just waiting for a moment where they can co-reveal it with some basic single player or story information.

fader

Hasn't Capcom been less and less involved at SDCC over the years?

Hasn't Capcom been less and less involved in everything over the years? (if its not in Japan)

They seem to like to announce characters at trade shows but I'm not holding my breathe although I would not be surprised if they announced "a" character there.

Tripon

I think I have decided to want Abel back. A grappler with simplied commands (nonSPD) fits into the control scheme that SFV is pushing where everyone is either charge or quarter circle charge.

jerry1594

I think I have decided to want Abel back. A grappler with simplied commands (nonSPD) fits into the control scheme that SFV is pushing where everyone is either charge or quarter circle charge.
Alex is better. Just make power/hyper bomb good and he's golden. Abel is like an SF2 character knock off that is just bland.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love everything about Abel. From his looks to his unique style of combat. I think he really embodies SF in a lot of ways.

Hakan the SFIV GOAT for sure though. He hits all the right points too. The rest of the newbies don't really come across as interesting visually or they're a bit too zany (Juri). Some unique playstyles amongst them, but the characters themselves don't do anything for me.

kirblar

Fuerte's design (aside from the really weird RSF loop) is really good - he captures the obnoxious luchadore style perfectly.

Village

I think Abel looks boring as hell.

C Viper being black widow
And Juri being Jolyne Kujo still stick out for me

Fuerte suffers from " my alt should have been my regular costume syndrome " with two of his costumes, my favorite being his 3rd one,

KUy04gV.jpg

also why didn't this happen?

Gouken was pretty cool, epically his moveset, his weird Shotokan practicing was kind of a breath of fresh air in that archetype

I think seth is ok, has cool alts.

Top Bottom