• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

I'm kind of disappointed to see that. I thought he had a better chance at Hypespotting. NCR is more stacked with international talent and some of the locals give Daigo a very hard time. Unlike Europe where it's just Mago, Tokido, and the rest of Europe which he has a pretty good record against the top guys from there. Oh well, gotta believe.

BTW, I made top 16 in WNF Online. I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised that the comp is so weak that even someone like me can make it. Oh well, I'll take it. So if you're going to watch WNF tonight, youl should eventually see me in the losers bracket.

Do you need anything special for it or just like, Steam?

Maybe I'll try it out one week, far easier for me to get access to than a physical tournament, even if it may not be as optimal

Marz

"I'm the most complete Marvel player but I don't think there is a clear #1. Chris, Justin, and I are all tied I think."

He's delusional if he thinks he's as good as Justin.

Hey who won Marvel at Final Round?

Didn't get a chance to catch it fill me in dawg.

Watson/level up part ways.
Super Arcade shutdown
SCR having troubles.
San Deigo Saltmines shutting down.
Champ actually has to work 9-5 now.

It's a bad start of the year for West Coast.
DarthVaderno!!!.gif

I still remember going there and the Super Arcade in Pasadena. Fun times!!

Spuck-uk

Banned
Hey who won Marvel at Final Round?

Didn't get a chance to catch it fill me in dawg.

Not the guy who won Evo last year, and KIT, and NEC, and and etc.. Justin is more consistent, and has won more, both recently and in the past.

(Marvel still belongs in the trash)

Compbros

What does SF control style mean? You could always do any of the moves in MK with SF style directional movement. An option to use back to block?

It means instead of, say, Back, Forward 1 for a special it becomes a half circle forward. It's to give stick players more natural inputs.

Beckx

It's not SF style inputs unless you accidentally get your B, F move when you try to do your D, F move.

OH GOD HAKAN WHY ARE YOU DOING OIL ROCKET I WANTED SLIDE

Right before that statement, Champ said that out of the 3 he's the most complete. So what does he mean exactly? Justin and Chris are slightly weaker overall in FG attributes but excel in a specific area?

Not sure if this is what Champ means, but I think he maximizes Marvel's gameplay systems for his own benefit more than other players. Like when everyone else was complaining about TACs, he built a reset game around them.

jWILL253

Banned
Posted a reply in an old thread before I realized there isn't just one of these threads, lol.

I don't see a lot of Tekken talks in these threads.

Marz

Not the guy who won Evo last year, and KIT, and NEC, and and etc.. Justin is more consistent, and has won more, both recently and in the past.

(Marvel still belongs in the trash)

More consistent? Champ either wins or is in grand finals at almost every event he attends.

Tripon

That feel when your PS+ sub is going to expire in a month, but don't play any online games to justify it. Then realize that eventually, Ultra, Tekken 7, and other fighting games will come out and you will play online for it.

alstein

I think Justin's still 1, but Champ is a very strong 2. Clear dropoff after those two these days since ChrisG fell off the map.

I guess having 2 dominant players means you have twice as many as Marvel 2.

Seyavesh

both justin and champ almost always place top 3 in every tourney they enter but justin has placed out of top 3 a couple of times before while champ has not placed out of top 3 since evo 2013 according to the srk tracker

meanwhile justin just placed out of top 3 a couple of times throughout 2014 and also just now at FR

honestly i think champ is way better than justin in terms of 'who would i pick to win a tournament' because of the spreads of his teams and his active devotion to marvel instead of having to focus on multiple games. there's no way capcom cup isn't a massive distraction to justin, especially this year where that much money is on the line

Anne

On the FChamp being "more complete" thing, he's probably just talking game knowledge and understanding. He was really the first person to completely bust the game down at a competitive level and go all the way with his ability and knowledge. I mean, he streamed it for the world to see.

The god players in games usually have exceptional talent, but at the same time they're usually the people who are ahead of th curve on game concepts and tech. Doesn't stop people from catching up or outplaying them, but it's been pretty consistent through the history of fighting games that somebody just figures the game out ahead of time and starts dominating. Champ was the guy who did that in UMvC3 and you can't really take that away from him.

The only two events I can think of where Champ didn't get top 3 were his 5th place finishes at Evo 2011 and Evo 2013.

You don't remember that time he lost to Green Ace in pools and then later got eliminated off stream?

Or lost to Apologyman playing Frank West?

Or when he lost to Tokido in Canada?

Or the last Seasons Beatings?

Kaneblueriver? Ghost Rider?

Funnily enough it was when he had an evo title to defend was when he was the least consistent.

Koro got nerfed but Ken got buffed. It's a net buff overall despite losing dog pressure.

Shadow Ken should now basically eat 60 to 70 percent of everyone's life from any where on screen and off random hits probably lol.
That sucks, the dog pressure was the whole reason I was playing the character. I don't care about Ken's moveset that much. Is there a changelist?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
is P4AU a good game? I'm prolly gonna buy it, been wanting to play it lately.

had fun being an asshole with narukami in Arena

Tripon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157412833]It's the super turbo of anime.[/QUOTE]

Too bad the game can't get a patch out so people will enter tournaments for it.

oneida

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157412833]It's the super turbo of anime.[/QUOTE]
are you saying it's as different from arena as st was from super?

CurlyW

You don't remember that time he lost to Green Ace in pools and then later got eliminated off stream?

Or lost to Apologyman playing Frank West?

Or when he lost to Tokido in Canada?

Or the last Seasons Beatings?

Kaneblueriver? Ghost Rider?

Funnily enough it was when he had an evo title to defend was when he was the least consistent.

Don't forget Final Round 2012.

Also Devastation 2011.

Yeah, yeah, only 2 out of 3, I know

Do people still play VF5? I remember playing VF5 with Haunts back when it first came out on 360.

are you saying it's as different from arena as st was from super?

I just mean the series in general, Ultimax is great but not significantly different enough to change my opinion of the series.

Doomshine

That feel when your PS+ sub is going to expire in a month, but don't play any online games to justify it. Then realize that eventually, Ultra, Tekken 7, and other fighting games will come out and you will play online for it.
You don't play any of the games you get with it? I was subscribed to ps+ before it was required for online just for that.

oneida

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157413895]Do people still play VF5? I remember playing VF5 with Haunts back when it first came out on 360.[/QUOTE]
toronto, nyc and socal are the only local scenes in NA I'd call fairly strong. there was a side at FR that itazan murdered and it was at some euro tourney a few days ago.

online still has some traffic and there are weekly exhibition matches organized by VFDC members.

it's quiet, but not dead.

Anne

is P4AU a good game? I'm prolly gonna buy it, been wanting to play it lately.

had fun being an asshole with narukami in Arena

Game is super fun, super easy to get into. If you like Arena it builds off that. The only real complaint people have is sometimes pressure + damage get way too crazy. It's a really solid game then "oops you died". If you got any questions I can help you, I'm about as Persona heavy as it gets.

Tripon

You don't play any of the games you get with it? I was subscribed to ps+ before it was required for online just for that.

I played a couple, but I haven't been interested in any of the PS+ games they offered for PS4. Maybe if they included some PS1 games as part of the package, I'd consider it more at the moment.

Edit: If and when the PS1&PS2 emulator they're developing for PS4 finally comes out.

oneida

Game is super fun, super easy to get into. If you like Arena it builds off that. The only real complaint people have is sometimes pressure + damage get way too crazy. It's a really solid game then "oops you died". If you got any questions I can help you, I'm about as Persona heavy as it gets.
any big new mechanics I should get ready for? is hop any different? had fun playing with hop and doing that thing which turns you around in the air.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157413895]Do people still play VF5? I remember playing VF5 with Haunts back when it first came out on 360.[/QUOTE]
Same.

No lobbies or anything so it was just his Goh vs my Aoi, lol.

Bloodborne is scary, I am lost but I am having a good time(?). Its like me trying to figure out the mechanics of a MvC game without the internet.

Anne

any big new mechanics I should get ready for? is hop any different? had fun playing with hop and doing that thing which turns you around in the air.

You can cancel into hop now, and it has foot (read low) invuln on frame one. Other small things like sweeps all low profiling now exist too. Everything is still built off the first game for general mechanics.

Only big new thing is shadow mode. It just let's you pick an alt version of must characters. The char is the same they just have no burst and awakening and get custom combo mode and slightly different meter mechanics.

Bloodborne is scary, I am lost but I am having a good time(?). Its like me trying to figure out the mechanics of a MvC game without the internet.

The game is so different from Dark Souls that it's kind of jarring.

Fast movement and no shield is really messing with me too, makes bosses so much scarier

Top Bottom