• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

Bloodborne is scary, I am lost but I am having a good time(?). Its like me trying to figure out the mechanics of a MvC game without the internet.

Every time I play a new Souls game, I'm like... ok, so what do these stats do now? Intuition? Blood echoes?

Ok, game's starting, guess I should experiment with the controlsOH MY GOD I'M BEING CHASED BY A DIREWOLF WHERE ARE MY WEAPONS

NEO0MJ

The game is so different from Dark Souls that it's kind of jarring.

Fast movement and no shield is really messing with me too, makes bosses so much scarier

It's gonna take some time for me to get the game, can't wait to try it. In preparation I played with no shield in my Dark Souls II replay with dual weapons. Hope that helped me get used to playing without locking.

for some reason i thought that article said the ps4 release of sf4 was tmw. may 26th is super far away for the main platform at evo

You don't remember that time he lost to Green Ace in pools and then later got eliminated off stream?

Or lost to Apologyman playing Frank West?

Or when he lost to Tokido in Canada?

Or the last Seasons Beatings?

Kaneblueriver? Ghost Rider?

Funnily enough it was when he had an evo title to defend was when he was the least consistent.

I figured there were a few I was forgetting. Thanks for that.

Another thing I think Champ does that makes him more "complete" is he uses every option available during a match. If his Phoenix gets snapped in, the worst move is to raw tag out unprotected. But he still does it occasionally, which means his opponent has that much more uncertainty about what Champ is going to do.

Edit: Is Bloodborne actually a Souls game? I don't really pay attention to new releases anymore.

BadWolf

Edit: Is Bloodborne actually a Souls game? I don't really pay attention to new releases anymore.

It's technically a new IP but is made by the director and team behind Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls. It's very much a new Souls game overall. Dark Souls 2 was made by a "B" team.

mezcoplush610.jpg

I know it'd be unlikely, but I'd really like a Johnny Cage one.

Tripon

Still 2 lives? Seems pretty solid. I haven't watched a lot of Smash 4 competitive in a while, but 5 minutes seems like it could be a bit too strict.

People were timing out at 5 minutes more regularly than at 6 minutes, but I think it was because of the unfamiliarity of the time. By the time EVO happened, people would have gotten more used to it. They wouldn't have liked it, but they would have gotten used to it.

I think Smash 4's ultimately going to settle at 3 stock 8 minutes, but baby steps.

People were timing out at 5 minutes more regularly than at 6 minutes, but I think it was because of the unfamiliarity of the time. By the time EVO happened, people would have gotten more used to it. They wouldn't have liked it, but they would have gotten used to it.

I think Smash 4's ultimately going to settle at 3 stock 8 minutes, but baby steps.

I think 3 stocks is definitely the best option, as 2 just feels too constrictive in terms of mounting a comeback/trying something different to try and turn the tide

Nyoro SF

Yeah but 3 stocks / 8 minutes feels excruciatingly long. The game doesn't have the same brutal killing power of Melee in its tech-chase and off-ledge shenanigans, it's a more paced game...

Can any of you USF4 guys help me level up my Ken? I feel like ever since I swapped to him I've enjoyed the game a lot more and my play has improved, but I still have a lot of bad habits to work out.

Here's a couple recent replays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3plwUulMKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC9zfs4xLT8

I probably use Ken too much like my Vega. Push kicks and tick throws are great, but I think I'm getting too predictable, and push kick into low forward -> fireball doesn't leave me in that favorable a position. I also do cLK, cLP, cMK xx EX fireball too much, one of the things I'm working on is making sure I always confirm my hits so I can end in fierce uppercut to get the favorable situation or combo into Ultra. Other than those two things, I could use some advice. I saw that momochi video on the delayed options and I should probably learn all his tech.

vulva

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3plwUulMKE[/URL]

I probably use Ken too much like my Vega. Push kicks and tick throws are great, but I think I'm getting to predictable, and push kick into low forward -> fireball doesn't leave me in that favorable a position. I also do cLK, cLP, cMK xx EX fireball too much, one of the things I'm working on is making sure I always confirm my hits so I can end in fierce uppercut to get the favorable situation or combo into Ultra. Other than those two things, I could use some advice. I saw that momochi video on the delayed options and I should probably learn all his tech.
vidz am private

Shouta

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157411810]That sucks, the dog pressure was the whole reason I was playing the character. I don't care about Ken's moveset that much. Is there a changelist?[/QUOTE]

You can still pressure with Koro but it's just not braindead in 2.0. Though that doesn't matter for us since we're playing the current version for Evo.

You can still pressure with Koro but it's just not braindead in 2.0. Though that doesn't matter for us since we're playing the current version for Evo.

I never really got to learn Ken much because lag + nonexistent offline community, how is his Koro pressure braindead in the current console version?

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157428625]
I probably use Ken too much like my Vega. Push kicks and tick throws are great, but I think I'm getting to predictable, and push kick into low forward -> fireball doesn't leave me in that favorable a position. I also do cLK, cLP, cMK xx EX fireball too much, one of the things I'm working on is making sure I always confirm my hits so I can end in fierce uppercut to get the favorable situation or combo into Ultra. Other than those two things, I could use some advice. I saw that momochi video on the delayed options and I should probably learn all his tech.[/QUOTE]

I can't really say much bc neither of those guys you played there could take you out of your comfort zone or expose any real weaknesses. You're super aggressive, but so am I when trolling sub-1k pp players so it's not bad but doesn't tell me enough about you. Your self-advice seems right though.

You might also just be better than me, lol.

vidz am private
fixed
I can't really say much bc neither of those guys you played there could take you out of your comfort zone or expose any real weaknesses. You're super aggressive, but so am I when trolling sub-1k pp players so it's not bad but doesn't tell me enough about you. Your self-advice seems right though.

You might also just be better than me, lol.

Yeah, I just grabbed like two random recent vids in my replays. I should probably find a match with more specific issues or upload the next fight I have something more interesting going on.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

vulva

I probably use Ken too much like my Vega. Push kicks and tick throws are great, but I think I'm getting too predictable, and push kick into low forward -> fireball doesn't leave me in that favorable a position. I also do cLK, cLP, cMK xx EX fireball too much, one of the things I'm working on is making sure I always confirm my hits so I can end in fierce uppercut to get the favorable situation or combo into Ultra. Other than those two things, I could use some advice. I saw that momochi video on the delayed options and I should probably learn all his tech.

I can't really offer much off these. I'd either need to see you playing better players or even possibly losing to offer some input

I agree with those. But you just posted videos of you running a train on a couple people who just held downback and didn't do anything.

Shouta

I never really got to learn Ken much because lag + nonexistent offline community, how is his Koro pressure braindead in the current console version?

2C all day, every day. Dog uppercut hits the enemy and he lands and stays right there so you can just keep doing it to pressure folks. In 2.0 he does it then lands and backflips away.

I can't really offer much off these. I'd either need to see you playing better players or even possibly losing to offer some input

I agree with those. But you just posted videos of you running a train on a couple people who just held downback and didn't do anything.

My low PP from losing with vega and m.bison constantly is coming back to haunt me. I don't see a lot of high ranked players even though it's set to more skilled :/

Maybe I'll wait a bit and rank up then post a couple more.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
ok p4au is in the mail. lemme know if yall wanna get some games in this weekend. xbl: oneida1

Tik-Tok

Pixelish, I can't stop feeling insulted. I blame tok for this and your horrible gambling addiction. Time to change avatars.

Why you gotta be like that Dlent ;_;

Time to watch this.

This is going better than expected.
And now that you've changed avatars I feel like it's going to confuse people even more.
I should have said a month for the avatar change.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
This is going better than expected.
And now that you've changed avatars I feel like it's going to confuse people even more.
I should have said a month for the avatar change.

LOL! hahahaha oh man, this is gold. its all apart of the plan.

Thulius

I never knew you could hit an opponent with a projectile after a failed TAC. New stuff everyday.

It's not projectiles, you can combo off TAC counters with anything if you've got a certain amount of speed boost active during the counter. For most characters that means level 2/3 xfactor and even then a lot of characters can't do it.

I guess luminous body just gives Firebrand enough of a boost to do it without xfactor.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It's not projectiles, you can combo off TAC counters with anything if you've got a certain amount of speed boost active during the counter. For most characters that means level 2/3 xfactor and even then a lot of characters can't do it.

I guess luminous body just gives Firebrand enough of a boost to do it without xfactor.

never knew that. ive never seen someone attempt a TAC and fail while the other was on xfactor.

nvm you're no longer the real baked one anymore.

it all comes full circle. pixelish is the new yams.

Shouta

Oh man, our first rake hike for NWM pre-reg hit last night and we had a rush of folks signing up. We are currently 50 pre-regs short of our total registrations from NWM6 which includes onsite, lol. Xrd is also our biggest game currently.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Oh man, our first rake hike for NWM pre-reg hit last night and we had a rush of folks signing up. We are currently 50 pre-regs short of our total registrations from NWM6 which includes onsite, lol. Xrd is also our biggest game currently.

How much is tournament entry? I really wanna go to NWM.

Ok, I just fought a few stronger opponents with a lot more back and forth so they should illuminate my weaknesses more.

vs Dudley
vs Ibuki
vs Zangief

Honestly, just watching these replays is a huge help. It's easy to see where I lose a lot of opportunities. especially since I don't whiff punish nearly as well as I need to be doing. Losing the second round in the ibuki match was painful since I dropped the red focus combo, but honestly there was a lot I could have been doing better.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Top Bottom