• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

Beckx

i been wanting to get into fighting games...

what is considered the most in depth 2d fighting game and 3d fighting game on the market?

Do you care whether it has a healthy online scene?

Got a list of victims.

Some thread recently a dude came back after ten years and posted "called it" for something he said when the thread started.

I'm expecting something like that. Don't let me down again Yams.

Frantic

Nah, everyone should just use Yams' avatar with different hair coloring.

I call pink.
Calling Demi-Yams.
v2ZUfGG.png

looking for what is considered the most technical complexity games, what is the most technical complex 2d fighter

i love games that have complex battle/combat systems....as i love to put in lots of time in mastering games...

Something like SF or Tekken or GG would probably be a solid pick. A lot of people have been playing those series for a while so there's a lot (A LOT) to catch up on before you can even get to the stage where you're discovering new stuff for yourself.

And mastery.. i don't even know what that would mean. Beating everyone around maybe? That's out of reach of most people no matter how long they train.

Probably best to play what you enjoy if you're planning to go in for the long haul.

El Sloth

Banned
looking for what is considered the most technical complexity games, what is the most technical complex 2d fighter

i love games that have complex battle/combat systems....as i love to put in lots of time in mastering games...
This is tough, I think most games are technically easy to play but are all harder to compete at a higher level. Guilty Gear and Virtua Fighter both have reputations of being "difficult" games, but I honestly dont know how much truth there is to that. I personally think you should just find a game you like and then pick up the most technically difficult character to master and then try doing well with them at a high level.

Now that you've brought it up, I can't think of any specific fighting game mechanics I would call complex. Feel like most are pretty straightforward and the complexity comes from knowing when and where to take advantage of them.

Any KoF people, I asked this on twitter but I'll ask this here as well.

Generally in KoF, do different jumps affect air normal startups, landing recovery, or even hitstun?

Just wondering if there's more to it than just the jump arcs.

The general answer is no.

Exceptions would be in the case of some air command normals or air specials that can only be done from full jumps. For example, Yuri's air df+LK (KOF13) cannot be done from hops.

Is there more to it than just the jump arcs? That's more of a matchup question. I would answer that no as well. The different jumps combined with the game speed are why anti-airing and precise spacing is so difficult in KOF.
---
Streaming more Yatagarasu later today. The way the game lets you watch a recording of all matches you have played either online or off is really cool. I hope it's out soon.

Rhapsody

Banned
The general answer is no.

Exceptions would be in the case of some air command normals or air specials that can only be done from full jumps. For example, Yuri's air df+LK (KOF13) cannot be done from hops.

Is there more to it than just the jump arcs? That's more of a matchup question. I would answer that no as well. The different jumps combined with the game speed are why anti-airing and precise spacing is so difficult in KOF.
---
Streaming more Yatagarasu later today. The way the game lets you watch a recording of all matches you have played either online or off is really cool. I hope it's out soon.

Thanks, Juicebox. It was just something I was curious about lately, but I'm glad I know now.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything on the basic level.

Azure J

This should be the thing for FGC/FGW-GAF during Evo.

Q masks over Yams's avatar with differently colored hair

I actually like it begin used for a hypothetical Marvel 4 announcement bet more. It's so perfect.

Q masks are definitely the EVO thing though.

New games being called blank slates is still funny to me.

Why? It makes sense.

Obviously there's no true blank slate since fundamentals carry over and even in radically new games there will be some legacy design carrying over but compared to picking up a game like SF4 or Marvel or even a more traditional sequel like Tekken 7 a game like MKX would be a blank slate. There won't be tons of MK9 legacy knowledge you need to compete in MKX.

Just a heads up, WNF online featuring none other then myself in top 16. Sorry guys, I don't have time for autographs but maybe I will except a post fight interview if I have the time.

shaowebb

Yay. My Wii only had a bad power brick. Gonna get it replaced and my TvC is secure. Till then I'm just playing it on WiiU and doing some Chrono Phantazma. Azrael is really fun and I'm actually trying to learn how to use him now. Before all I focused on was Bullet and Platinum the Trinity. I need to brush up on my Karas/Polimar more before Saturday though...might have a tourney. Heck I should probably play some Marvel if I can...they seemed keen on visiting it and I aint touched it in forever.

So weird having a scene.

yo can someone explain to me about this young art joke? Are you guys saying now that arturo is old his reactions are not as good anymore. So when he plays well he is "young art" and not "old art"?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
yo can someone explain to me about this young art joke? Are you guys saying now that arturo is old his reactions are not as good anymore. So when he plays well he is "young art" and not "old art"?

im assuming thats what it is lol, he's pretty old, +30's if im not mistaken. also, its yung art or fetus art.

pixelish

first it was yung art, now there's yung cen as well. everyone in new york be drinking that fountain of youth.

and sci x chung x spooky = best commentary trio

naw

you're thinking too deeply into this it's just a cool nickname to have

yo i think its safe to say after the end of WNF west coast players fell behind. Eastcoast especially NYC due to NLBC players are still leveling up and far surpassing west coast players. NLBC dont host marvel no more thats why East coast is not good at marvel no more but in SFIV i think EC>>WC by a mile.

hitsugi

Gonna be weird having the two main anime games at Evo being the wrong versions... and there's nothing they can do about it. Kind of a weird thing that wasn't prioritized correctly over in Japan.

pixelish

this is my first time staying up really late to catch nlbc in a long while so i thought i might catch a bit of wnf as well. nobody likes seeing online plays huh? valle must be so disappointed with the poor reception (~400 viewers right now) since he managed to secure good sponsors (hyperx, alienware, etc) for wnf.

Vice

yo i think its safe to say after the end of WNF west coast players fell behind. Eastcoast especially NYC due to NLBC players are still leveling up and far surpassing west coast players. NLBC dont host marvel no more thats why East coast is not good at marvel no more but in SFIV i think EC>>WC by a mile.
UGC gets pretty healthy turnouts at their events, lots of WNF regulars, so the West Coast is keeping up. Plus, other places arebhosting sizable monthlies and bi-weeklies in addition to that.

Malice215

I wouldn't say EC is ahead of WC by a mile because WC has come to the east and have done well multiple times where as EC needs to travel more outside of the EC. Let's see is any make it to NCR and see how they do there.

I do feel that some of the more well known names on the WC are falling off while the new blood is stepping it up in the absence of WNF.

petghost

Banned
Gonna be weird having the two main anime games at Evo being the wrong versions... and there's nothing they can do about it. Kind of a weird thing that wasn't prioritized correctly over in Japan.

nah that kinda sounds par for the course actually.

Weren't they running slash at evo when ac had already come out?

Top Bottom