• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 24-30 | We talkin' bout brackets. Not a game, brackets.

4r5

When I think of NetherRealm Studios, in my head I see their logo. Then, out of my mouth comes, "NinjaRealm."

thehadou

Neo Member
I finally have a NeoGaf account. I'm gonna celebrate this moment and play some Killer Instinct. Seems appropriate in the thread talking about short combos.

CurlyW

I finally have a NeoGaf account. I'm gonna celebrate this moment and play some Killer Instinct. Seems appropriate in the thread talking about short combos.

FINALLY!

(For those who don't know, thehadou is the guy who runs the behind-the-scenes for pretty much every fighting game tournament.)

thehadou

Neo Member
FINALLY!

(For those who don't know, thehadou is the guy who runs the behind-the-scenes for pretty much every fighting game tournament.)

Lets not over-do the, appreciated, credit. I have my life mixed in a lot, but plenty of other promoters and busy folk are accomplishing things on their own.

Arelaz

I love how Art throws on those beats during match downtime now. You always see the commentators start head bopping and feeling it too. Lee Chung!!

thehadou

Neo Member
Welcome thehadou!

What sort of behind-the-scenes?

I am one of the managers with Focus Fire, co-promoter of UFGT & CEO (visual designer for both events and a variety of other FGC affiliations), equipment supplier for EVO, UMG/UGC broadcast affiliate, and general brand and sponsorship consultant for many. I travel frequently, draw things when and where I can, and do my best to someday break my never-getting-beyond-top-25 in AE at a major curse.

thehadou

Neo Member
So what you're saying is that the illuminati is real?

lol welcome!

Since its comedic to me, yes and no. There are definitely cliques within the promoter/sponsor community, but there isn't any real "illuminati" trying to hold everybody down. Just hard working people hoping for more and wishing people kept it classy.

casperOne

So what you're saying is that the illuminati is real?

lol welcome!

Welcome thehadou!

What sort of behind-the-scenes?

Since its comedic to me, yes and no. There are definitely cliques within the promoter/sponsor community, but there isn't any real "illuminati" trying to hold everybody down. Just hard working people hoping for more and wishing people kept it classy.

Welcome.

And oh the irony.

I love how Art throws on those beats during match downtime now. You always see the commentators start head bopping and feeling it too. Lee Chung!!
AddMitt did it for Michigan Masters last year and people liked it so much he made a YouTube playlist out of his selections. Such a great idea.

thehadou

Neo Member
AddMitt did it for Michigan Masters last year and people liked it so much he made a YouTube playlist out of his selections. Such a great idea.

Stream music is such a necessity, and when done well adds a ton to the broadcast. Just have to hope the streamer has a large enough library of legal selections to fill the hours with. Little is worse than hearing the same 40 second loops over and over again.

Stream music is such a necessity, and when done well adds a ton to the broadcast. Just have to hope the streamer has a large enough library of legal selections to fill the hours with. Little is worse than hearing the same 40 seconds loops over and over again.

or worse, redrapper

That's what I thought too, but I've heard a few people say the same thing he's saying. Some people just notice when the stick isn't on dpad mode and it's so consistent that I can't attribute it to anything else but a difference in how inputs are handled.

I really hope next gen comes with automatic local replay saving. I really like being able to send replays to friends or being able to grab replays from friends when we play Melty Blood on different computers.

Mad Catz sticks at least become markedly more unresponsive if they're in analog stick mode. You walk forward, move the stick neutral, and the movement persists ever so slightly longer and such, perhaps in an attempt to emulate the more gradual results of using an actual analog stick. No such issues with dpad mode. Haven't tested on my Qanba, dunno if it's even capable of that.

I haven't the slightest clue. It might just be a Marvel input reading thing, too. I tested it both ways in training mode after the match, and I couldn't get anything to come up. Maybe I have it backwards though, and it was on analog over dpad that messed it up. I can't remember because I never mess with that stick option. Of course, that's why I didn't recognize the problem in the first place! Haha. Carrying 2 fight sticks in a backpack has unfortunate consequences. :p

Nope, not just you. I've noticed marked differences in Mad Catz sticks set to analog and dpad modes. The dpad mode is the sharp one, though, and the analog mode is what screws up inputs.

Coda

Stream music is such a necessity, and when done well adds a ton to the broadcast. Just have to hope the streamer has a large enough library of legal selections to fill the hours with. Little is worse than hearing the same 40 second loops over and over again.

That sucks because I have a playlist I play on my stream, luckily no one cares about my stream to file any action.

The fact that KOF is considered a 'long combo game' is a symptom of the problem. Why the hell does KOF of all things have minute long combos? I definitely see it as an ever increasing trend.

I like how you list 'anime' as just a single game, lol. Most of the fighters coming out in 2014, or all of it maybe, is anime interestingly enough. We should probably start differentiating 'anime' into more sub-genres soon.

People overstate KOF13's combo focus a lot IMO. Not so say it isn't there, it absolutely is especially in the later rounds with a bunch of meter available, but seeing it lumped with MvC3 for example just makes me squirm.

I do think some companies are reversing the trend, but it is a big problem. I also think this is one of the things that could send the genre into another dark ages. Much like how anime started preaching to the choir , if FGs keep catering too much to the hardcore base, they're going to lose people and not gain anyone, and eventually the system will collapse on itself.

And yeah, KOF turning into a long combo fighter is why I don't consider KOFXI or KOFXIII "real" KOFs to me. KOF was at its purest in 98 and 98UM was a worthy upgrade. (yeah I know, I sound like the KOF version of the ST hipsters I slam constantly, but I'll wear that with honor in this case)

Aand case in point. :/

Agreed 100% on the risk of FGs becoming an inbred niche genre even more so than they are now. Interestingly, what murmurs I've heard of the next KOF is that they're dialing back the combo focus which honestly sounds amazing. Though I wish they'll keep a KOF13-esque neutral game, I love the feel of it a lot.

Don't hold your breath.

:(

Quick question for non latin american countries: which kof do you like the most, 98 or 2002?(or 13?)

13, but I haven't played the older ones heavily. 13 is pretty much pure bliss thus far, though. Snappy, free-feeling movement, great music, strong characters (had trouble finding even one character in SF4 that didn't frustrate me a ton, in KOF13 I want to tierwhore to get any focused practice done - otherwise I'd be picking up a dozen characters or something), and overall just a very solid system design that I like more the more I learn about it. The combo focus in the anchor slot is a bit excessive, but I don't really mind it, the game is just too fun for me to give a shit, and makes practice fun.

this definitely isn't the case for marvel

the simple way to test this is if you can get f, qcf+atk out quickly vs. nothing coming out or dp coming out. do it in the air so it's easier to check-

i have no idea why it's like this at all..

also kof98's short and sweet combos are the best. cr. short jab rekka / cr.short short safe special is the truth forever. plus comboing into super just being the exact same thing usually into super and also being super hard 'cuz of that (but so satisfying)

that and fierce, hcb backbreaker

98 is the best and all other kofs are inferior because ralf doesn't get crunk and mash heads in with the hammerfst and the true people's elbow

edit: no seriously i LOATHE kof13's ralf. like i already dislike the general feel of that game for reasons i don't fully understand (i think it's HD-combo related and weaker normals than what i'm used to from 98) but the change to ralf and clark are like the cherry on top.

look at this badass dude who's about to destroy you with his fists

EjyTKMA.gif

Combos are a general feel problem? IMO, one of the biggest differences between 13 and 98 that's usually undersold a ton is the movement. Sure, the basic system is pretty much the same with buttons and hops and whatnot, but 13 has way, way more horizontal movement to it, which means poke lengths matter a lot less. 98 has a lot of that SF-style thing where people try to space pixel-perfect pokes against each other, while 13 is more about making the calls, AAing with correct angles and just going ham :p

Omega

Banned
They are running their own version of Topanga league.

Pool A (Already qualified)

Art
Dieminion
Zeus
Sanford
Smug
Rico Suave
Pool B 1
Pool B 2

Pool B is open to any NYC player

Winner gets a ticket to EVO.

I guess this is as good as it's going to get. I'm excited

It would be cool to have a Topanga league featuring the best players in all of Merca but due to people being all over the place, that's probably never going to happen.

Anyone know if the JP and US/EU versions of BBCP are fully compatible? (as far as playing online)

Probably. I have the Japanese version of BBCP, and the main netplay mode as you pick a region before entering a massive virtual arcade. I just pick whichever is the most popular North American region (they have one for East Coast, one for West Coast, another for Midwest, etc.).

soakrates

The emphasis on single hits and really short combos is probably one reason I've been playing SC2 so damn much lately. As stupid as that game can be, that's one thing it really got right.

Top Bottom