• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 24-30 | We talkin' bout brackets. Not a game, brackets.

alstein

Agreed 100% on the risk of FGs becoming an inbred niche genre even more so than they are now. Interestingly, what murmurs I've heard of the next KOF is that they're dialing back the combo focus which honestly sounds amazing. Though I wish they'll keep a KOF13-esque neutral game, I love the feel of it a lot.

The Neutral game in 13 isn't that much different than other KOFs- though as mentioned it is weaker, which makes it closer to an anime game. I think 98 had the strongest neutral game, but 13's neutral game is pretty good. It's the non-neutral game and the controls I have issues with.

Shito

The matches in this video are shamelessly taken from the Best of 2013 Haitani video but cropped further and track inserted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdYSBCm9sg
Oh, never saw that video: thanks!

Haitani is amazing with Makoto, makes me want to pick her up so bad but I always get fucked on the wakeup game.
I'm still a shitty player, but Makoto improved my defensive skills A LOT.
I'm regularly playing a colleague at work who's around my level of play, and he often goes "how the hell did you block that!?". Not having a real shoryu or decent reversal does that.
That being said, I can't wait for unthrowable ex orochi...

Anne

Btw, if anybody is getting the NA release of BBCP this week, please don't hesitate to ask questions. Some simple things are really not that obvious, and past that we have a treasure trove of specific information stashed away in places.

Anyone know where I can find free VODs of AE 2012 from Final Round two weeks ago? For some reason Spooky didn't stream it and Capcom Fighters is charging money for the VODs.

So there was bracket fixing at Final Round? What exactly is that? I enjoyed watching the Top 8. If that was the result of bracket fixing, don't see what's so bad about it... but I'm the type to believe in the idea of certain players who have achieved certain things just being auto-seeded into Top 32 or 16 and making everyone else wild cards who have to start from the bottom in pools.

Lemstar

Btw, if anybody is getting the NA release of BBCP this week, please don't hesitate to ask questions. Some simple things are really not that obvious, and past that we have a treasure trove of specific information stashed away in places.
Is the digital release actually happening tomorrow? Aksys had announced it originally, but this week's PSN blog posts state otherwise.

Infinite

Should I play Terumi?

So there was bracket fixing at Final Round? What exactly is that? I enjoyed watching the Top 8. If that was the result of bracket fixing, don't see what's so bad about it... but I'm the type to believe in the idea of certain players who have achieved certain things just being auto-seeded into Top 32 or 16 and making everyone else wild cards who have to start from the bottom in pools.

I'm a big believer in proper seeding but you want chosen top guys to play one or two matches to get into winners top 8?

Anne

Is the digital release actually happening tomorrow? Aksys had announced it originally, but this week's PSN blog posts state otherwise.

This I have no idea on. I assumed it would be day one digital same as everybody else, but now nobody knows T_T I can help with more in game stuff.

Should I play Terumi?

Depends, what do you wanna do? He's not nearly as bad as some people say he is and he'll probably be pretty solid in v1.1

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's pretty shitty for the people participating and competition in general.

In general I mean. I don't know the details about what happened at Final Round.

GamesterGear's continuing to support the FGC with this tournament next month. Pretty cool!

nJLgGol.jpg

Infinite

Depends, what do you wanna do? He's not nearly as bad as some people say he is and he'll probably be pretty solid in v1.1

tbh I just wanna not play Tsubaki. I only played her because I was lazy and didn't feel like practicing. This time around I want to play a character I actually like and I'm a fan of Hazama and Terumi design wise.

Gameplay wise I'm not sure at this point. I tend to like characters who are fun to control IE characters with interesting movement options, good air dashes, fast walk/run etc. I also like speedy crouching lights and normals that feel "right". Command throws are cool too. I think I pretty much described Hazama tho lol. I also like characters who's gameplay revolve around their drives in cools interesting ways. So like how Hakumen and Amane uses their drives.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Shows how much I pay attention to street fighter I guess

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
tbh I just wanna not play Tsubaki. I only played her because I was lazy and didn't feel like practicing. This time around I want to play a character I actually like and I'm a fan of Hazama and Terumi design wise.

Gameplay wise I'm not sure at this point. I tend to like characters who are fun to control IE characters with interesting movement options, good air dashes, fast walk/run etc. I also like speedy crouching lights and normals that feel "right". Command throws are cool too. I think I pretty much described Hazama tho lol. I also like characters who's gameplay revolve around their drives in cools interesting ways. So like how Hakumen and Amane uses their drives.
You'll like Terumi then :p

Seyavesh

Combos are a general feel problem? IMO, one of the biggest differences between 13 and 98 that's usually undersold a ton is the movement. Sure, the basic system is pretty much the same with buttons and hops and whatnot, but 13 has way, way more horizontal movement to it, which means poke lengths matter a lot less. 98 has a lot of that SF-style thing where people try to space pixel-perfect pokes against each other, while 13 is more about making the calls, AAing with correct angles and just going ham :p

combos can be part of a general feel problem because they tend to dictate what the source of damage is. it's related to the normals thing to a degree, where reduced damage on 'em can make them feel weaker than what i like. that's the approach that modern games have taken to a degree, focusing less on pokes and more on being able to take those 'risks' to the point of where they aren't significant risks anymore so you can land 'real' damage

kof13 has the combination of having normals that actually do have significantly smaller and slower hitboxes than their 98 friends, changing up the entirety of how the game is played. while the movement physics difference is true, i don't know if i can say that's what causes kof13 to have 'much more horizontal movement'. to me it's more related to the weakness of normals as a whole in comparison 98's monster-ass normals- effectively, you have more reasons to jump/hop and start doing shit because the grounded normals are much weaker and overall less effective at stopping things. in comparison, the jumping normals are generally left unchanged and still great so suddenly 'always be hopping' goes from a joke to the actual strategy because so many characters have a better chance of stopping the opponent from their hopping pokes with their own.

i guess all of that isn't necessarily part of feel but it's the conclusion i've reached that stem from that basic 'feel' related issue. a lot of stuff tends to be connected and having that one thing changed causes all of the rest of that stuff to change, too.

like i said, i'm not 100% clear on why i really dislike kof13 but all of that plays a major part into it.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody here get J Stars Victory VS? Picking mine up from Postal office sometime tomorrow.

I'll pick up BBCP's US release too but it's hard to me to stay really interested with Xrd coming out in the near future. :p I'll just stick with Platinum and Tager.

Astarte

Heh, why not?

I do regret importing CP a bit, but I'll probably be playing it more now that it's out in NA tomorrow.

I regret importing it as well. I'm not really as in love with Blazblue as I thought I was.

Anybody here get J Stars Victory VS? Picking mine up from Postal office sometime tomorrow.

I'll pick up BBCP's US release too but it's hard to me to stay really interested with Xrd coming out in the near future. :p I'll just stick with Platinum and Tager.

I'd get it but the gameplay doesn't really look all that great.

Kumubou

I kind of regret importing BBCP myself, but that's mainly because myself and a lot of the local anime players here didn't really take up to it. Everyone here is playing either GGAC+R or AH3 -- partially in prep for the new games coming and partially because they're both better games. :3 I'm thinking about getting the US version cheap though.

FSLink

Banned
I just want them to make a Guilty Gear x BlazBlue so I can use the neat cast of BB alongside GG's characters and mechanics.

I've poked one of my US friends to snag a copy for me. Online will be a bit on the barren side for me then, but i can probably play east coast US folks at least and any folks who bothered importing.

Looking to pick up Bullet and Izayoi if they turn out to fit me and continue with Mu. Maaaybe Litchi too? I don't know.

I generally like characters who can lame it up or can move in under cover of projectiles and such. Or dodgy characters who can easily move in and out of others' threat zones.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't regret picking up the JPN version of BBCP. Most fun I've had with BB since CT (because it was the new thing).
I just wish the netcode was a lot better.

I don't regret picking up the JPN version of BBCP. Most fun I've had with BB since CT (because it was the new thing).
I just wish the netcode was a lot better.

Until my PS3 blew up I was also loving BBCP, the first BB game that really "clicked".

It is a must buy.

OceanBlue

I'm glad I imported BBCP. I've been getting a good amount of playtime every week with two or three other people. I think in the 3 years I've been here, it's been the longest-lived anime game here.

Damn, it's been 4-5 months since the game came out in Japan? And I'm still completely awful at the game lol.

Uraizen

Banned
I'm glad I imported BBCP. I've been getting a good amount of playtime every week with two or three other people. I think in the 3 years I've been here, it's been the longest-lived anime game here.

Damn, it's been 4-5 months since the game came out in Japan? And I'm still completely awful at the game lol.

Fun games are fun.

Anne

Don't worry, I bought the game day one and didn't start learning it until like a month ago (cause post-NEC P4U grind happened). For a number of reasons a lot of normally good players have been slow off the start on this one. Too many well known players in character crisis situations lol

LegatoB

I've been really trying to get myself back into Blazblue since it's the most "lively" anime game locally.

...It's not happening. Nobody's clicking. I'm pretty sure my love affair with Kokonoe was entirely based around how easy her overpowered bullshit was, and not really about how the character is supposed to work.

Top Bottom