• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 24-30 | We talkin' bout brackets. Not a game, brackets.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I can't help but think of a new player I met locally who said, "If fighting games didn't have combos then there would be nothing to learn."

Long combos cater to those guys.
ew
Never
let us
forget.
:)
it's the only example I have handy
Quick question for non latin american countries: which kof do you like the most, 98 or 2002?(or 13?)
this might be worth a read.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=630286

Quick question for non latin american countries: which kof do you like the most, 98 or 2002?(or 13?)

That was a fun thread.

I prefer KOF '98 UM. I'll play vanilla '98 from time to time, but all the little quirks about the game bug me sometimes.
That said, I've never felt satisfied with any roster in a KOF game. The games that have the rosters I like ('02 UM, '03, XI) have mechanics that I don't like, and the ones with the mechanics I love ('98, '98 UM, Regulation A) usually skip characters I like. So there's a lot of wiggle room in what I consider my favorites.

Seyavesh

There shouldn't be any difference between dpad vs analog input on arcade stick that have the switch. It's mainly there so you can switch to the analog for games that doesn't support the dpad.

this definitely isn't the case for marvel

the simple way to test this is if you can get f, qcf+atk out quickly vs. nothing coming out or dp coming out. do it in the air so it's easier to check-

i have no idea why it's like this at all..

also kof98's short and sweet combos are the best. cr. short jab rekka / cr.short short safe special is the truth forever. plus comboing into super just being the exact same thing usually into super and also being super hard 'cuz of that (but so satisfying)

that and fierce, hcb backbreaker

98 is the best and all other kofs are inferior because ralf doesn't get crunk and mash heads in with the hammerfst and the true people's elbow

edit: no seriously i LOATHE kof13's ralf. like i already dislike the general feel of that game for reasons i don't fully understand (i think it's HD-combo related and weaker normals than what i'm used to from 98) but the change to ralf and clark are like the cherry on top.

look at this badass dude who's about to destroy you with his fists

EjyTKMA.gif

oneida

this definitely isn't the case for marvel

the simple way to test this is if you can get f, qcf+atk out quickly vs. nothing coming out or dp coming out. do it in the air so it's easier to check-

i have no idea why it's like this at all..
it makes no sense at all that they would be different.

casperOne

I can't help but think of a new player I met locally who said, "If fighting games didn't have combos then there would be nothing to learn."

Long combos cater to those guys.

I shared that same reaction to the above statement. Thinking about it more though, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Assuming that the execution bar isn't absurdly low for executing the long combos, the initial focus for the new player is going to be on execution; they're going to want to get the long combos.

Execution is one of the fundamentals of being a good fighting game player.

If you don't have other fundamentals in place, you're going to hit a ceiling.

Assuming (there's a lot of assumption here, I know this) that they want to get better, they're going to start thinking "how can I land those long-ass combos?"

So while long combos can be boring to watch (depending on the game/context), I don't think that it's a bad thing from a community point of view. The person is playing, and if they have any drive to get better, eventually, they will realize that it's not just about combos.

:)
it's the only example I have handy

You earned it =)

oneida

I shared that same reaction to the above statement. Thinking about it more though, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Assuming that the execution bar isn't absurdly low for executing the long combos, the initial focus for the new player is going to be on execution; they're going to want to get the long combos.

Execution is one of the fundamentals of being a good fighting game player.

If you don't have other fundamentals in place, you're going to hit a ceiling.

Assuming (there's a lot of assumption here, I know this) that they want to get better, they're going to start thinking "how can I land those long-ass combos?"

So while long combos can be boring to watch (depending on the game/context), I don't think that it's a bad thing from a community point of view. The person is playing, and if they have any drive to get better, eventually, they will realize that it's not just about combos.
I don't think it's such a poisonous mindset that this guy will never improve, but he's certainly inviting himself to a bumpy ride. Just accepting that you don't yet have the full picture can do wonders when trying to learn anything at all.

Seyavesh

it makes no sense at all that they would be different.

oh i forgot to mention, this is when your stick is set to LS, not dpad

i really don't know why this is the case though, but it's something that's pretty well known for folks who play it since it's this somewhat common issue where sometimes folks will go into matches with it set on LS and start dropping everything because of the inability to do qcfs or the thing not registering the diagonal for upforward superjumps and upback superjumps

CPS2

I kinda feel like the neutral game in some games is way better than others, e.g. its really good in ST, and I don't think the focus should be on that in every game. I like being able to punish mistakes with satisfying combos rather than one move or a 2-3 hitter. And I think if the game has long combos it shouldn't scale too much and make them pointless.

Its tough to balance but some things devs should avoid:
-time wasting long combos like KI ultras after they're already dead
-extremely scaled long combos like hnk
-"logical" places to add a super or ultra in a combo design where its pointless because it does no damage like SF4

Also I generally don't find long combos boring unless they're really dragging on and doing no damage like hnk, sbx and the infinites in a3. Really basic 1, 2 or 3 hits cancelled into a special or super just feels dated like we're back in the early 90's so fighters have to have something more interesting than that.

I can't really picture what people want when they complain about longer combo systems. Like you really may as well play old games like ST if you just like the neutral game that much imo.

oneida

oh i forgot to mention, this is when your stick is set to LS, not dpad

i really don't know why this is the case though, but it's something that's pretty well known for folks who play it since it's this somewhat common issue where sometimes folks will go into matches with it set on LS and start dropping everything because of the inability to do qcfs or the thing not registering the diagonal for upforward superjumps and upback superjumps
I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this. how do you fuck up directional input in 2011?

OceanBlue

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this. how do you fuck up directional input in 2011?

That's the point lol. When people suddenly feel as if they're dropping inputs they normally get and the only thing different is whether the stick is in LS mode or DP mode, it's probably either the stick or placebo. :V

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There shouldn't be any difference between dpad vs analog input on arcade stick that have the switch. It's mainly there so you can switch to the analog for games that doesn't support the dpad.
"Shouldn't" doesn't mean that's the way it is though. There is a significant difference between dpad input and analog stick emulation on Madcatz sticks.

To make it even crazier, Cthulhu boards send joystick input to the console as simultaneous dpad and LS inputs by default.

CurlyW

Hold that.

My DVR was bodied because of the 41 minute delay. I'll be watching it tonight. I'll have a reaction tomorrow though, guaranteed.

Saw bits and pieces though as I scrubbed through it. I'm guessing it has to do with the vote fraud charges being brought against Peter.

That's why we set the DVR up to record The Mentalist too (even though we don't watch it). NFL and college basketball always run long.

casperOne

That's why we set the DVR up to record The Mentalist too (even though we don't watch it). NFL and college basketball always run long.

Yeah, we'd do that, but then we have conflicts in the 10 PM slot as well (Revenge and the Mentalist).

Now you got me hyped to see it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
However, I think longer combos can benefit certain very very fast paced games, since they allow the player getting hit a moment or two to think/strategize and they also allow for commentary time. I still think marvel combos are too long (for some characters, at least).

Yeah I agree.

I also disagree with the idea that games with long combos are just about "waiting for them to finish" as in games with burst mechanics or strong reset options, the game is still very much going on after a hit is landed for both players. Those factors influence the decision making of both the person being hit and the person performing the combo.

So I don't really understand the idea that they're just one player minigames and that both players are just waiting for them to end. I mean they most certainly can be that way (UNIB) but it's not nearly as common as people make it out to be.(All anime/non Capcom games)

That can be done in other ways, such as Zanretsukens, long animation supers such as Ultras, or explosive moves such as Deathfists, or epic throws without something as boring as a long combo.

I'm curious what your problem is with long combos if long animations, uninteruptable, cinematic moves are preferable. I mean at least in long combos the game is still being played. Both players can put the controller down during 60 second super moves

Tik-Tok

That's the point lol. When people suddenly feel as if they're dropping inputs they normally get and the only thing different is whether the stick is in LS mode or DP mode, it's probably either the stick or placebo. :V

It's neither. This is a real thing. You don't play fighting games with it set to LS. Shit will be fucked up.

OceanBlue

It's neither. This is a real thing. You don't play fighting games with it set to LS. Shit will be fucked up.

Sorry, I phrased my post poorly. When I posted, "it's probably either the stick," I meant the input settings. So yeah, I agree with you.

Seyavesh

Oh look, it's Kyo with a bandanna.

kyo don't got the godhand, he's just a punk ass prettyboy who can shoot fire out of his hands like every other lame prettyboy hero

kyo wishes he had this power:

RfqZvb1.gif

that's not even a counterhit and he's already bleeding to death what a fool for attempting to even challenge his power

i had a gif of the god elbow too but for some reason it's twice as big despite being the same amount of frames

Currently working on a project that I think a lot of FGC-GAF would like, and if Enzo and Shouta would be cool with it, would love to show it off to you guys once it gets to a state where I could feasibly do it.

Making games is hard

4r5

I like how you list 'anime' as just a single game, lol. Most of the fighters coming out in 2014, or all of it maybe, is anime interestingly enough. We should probably start differentiating 'anime' into more sub-genres soon.

How bout we just call them by their names?

LegatoB

kyo don't got the godhand, he's just a punk ass prettyboy who can shoot fire out of his hands like every other lame prettyboy hero

kyo wishes he had this power:

that's not even a counterhit and he's already bleeding to death what a fool for attempting to even challenge his power
'98 Ralf's C button is one of the single most fun buttons to press in any fighting game.

'98 Ralf's C button is one of the single most fun buttons to press in any fighting game.

Ralf players get away with murder using that button. Footsies, air-to-air, hit-confirming - it does it all! Pressing any other button is a legit mixup against the uninitiated, haha.

It isn't about how many hits the combo is, it is about how long you have to sit and watch it. A 20 hit manual combo is fine if it all takes place in 5 seconds.

Top Bottom