• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 30 - April 6 | High Speed Korean Downloads

Sayah

T6 doesn't take as long as TTT2, right?

It's about the same time I imagine. But regardless, TTT2 matches would take a lot longer to finish if the damage wasn't ramped up and if it wasn't one-lifebar KO.

The solo option wasn't in initially, and got put in due to feedback from players who didn't want to learn 2 chars. (Also, it's essentially non-viable in higher level play.)

The solo option and clones compensate for casual players who probably don't care about higher level play anyway.

When you balance around the longer max-damage combos and there's such an output discrepancy between those combos and the normal ones, it definitely creates issues.
What do you mean by there being a discrepancy between max-damage combos and normal combos?

VmcKOeT.png

Who is this guy? I've seen him in a montage video but no one said who he was in the description and comments.

Dahbomb

Speaking of Marvel, Cap 2? Shit was legit as fuck
Don't know if I posted in this thread but Cap 2 is top 3 Marvel movies easily. Probably the biggest improvement in a movie series since.. I am not sure I can think of a movie series where the first one was middling and second one was great.

Dahbomb

Who insulted Tekken here? Dahbomb is even a Tekken fan.

Also, I just saw someone X-Factor to save Iron Man. What a world.
They are talking about Kirblar. I was actually defending Tekken (and by proxy SFxT as well) on the last post of the previous page. While I don't think Marvel and TTT2 team mechanics are comparable, I don't have a problem with TTT2's system for that series. It's only by comparison do I prefer one over the other.

Edit: Sorry for double post, phone messed up.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How many times have I told you people. Don't get DB started. And he's actually not a Tekken hater, one of the few "Marvel" people who actually praises it.

You people can go back and forth on what game has the better team combo creativity. Tekken may have more mechanics because of the 3d plane and having lots of variables but Marvel is more flashy and crowd pleasing. In the grand scheme of things, team building and chemistry is much more of a factor in Marvel by far.

Coda

How many times have I told you people. Don't get DB started. And he's actually not a Tekken hater, one of the few "Marvel" people who actually praises it.

You people can go back and forth on what game has the better team combo creativity. Tekken may have more mechanics because of the 3d plane and having lots of variables but Marvel is more flashy and crowd pleasing. In the grand scheme of things, team building and chemistry is much more of a factor in Marvel by far.

Yeah team synergy in UMvC3 is key.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm coming off the high of seeing it but Cap 2 might be my favorite Marvel film thus far. Easily tied with Iron Man, likely slightly behind Avengers once the high dissipates...but damn. Good flick.
Man, the trailers aren't really selling it like this. I feel like this is the same hype when every new Marvel film comes along though.

Man, the trailers aren't really selling it like this. I feel like this is the same hype when every new Marvel film comes along though.

Trust me bro, after the eternal wackness that was Thor 2 I wasn't gonna buy into the hype, but shit is legit top 3 Marvel alongside Iron Man and The Avengers, easy.

Dahbomb

I'll be honest I wasn't too hyped to see Cap 2 at first. The initial trailers were alright, nothing too absurd.

I don't know about Marvel hype but I can say for sure it's definitely top 3 Marvel movie. I was disappointed in IM3 and thought Thor 2 was just slightly better than average. I didn't like Cap 1 and Thor 1 either. Hulk and IM2 are bottom tier.

I feel like Cap 2 fixed some of the problems I had with the Marvel movies. The script was tighter, the action was well choreographed and intense, the humor was more controlled and Cap was more of a bad ass. Before you couldn't believe that Cap led the Avengers ... after this movie it's obvious why because he's Cap'n Americuh!

kirblar

Wasn't hating on Tekken, I just think the Tekken Tag mechanics are inherently problematic due to the way they warp the overall design the game that make them less appealing to many players.

Dahbomb

Wasn't hating on Tekken, I just think the Tekken Tag mechanics are inherently problematic due to the way they warp the overall design the game that make them less appealing to many players.
Let's be honest here... would you be interested in TTT2 if it was a 1v1 fighter and the damage was lowered to compensate?

kirblar

Let's be honest here... would you be interested in TTT2 if it was a 1v1 fighter and the damage was lowered to compensate?
I barely have time for SF nowadays. I know I played T3 and didn't really "get" TTT back in the day. They had to add the 1v1 mode for a reason, though.
What do you mean by there being a discrepancy between max-damage combos and normal combos?
Like, if someone doesn't know how to do the Tag combos, but knows some mid-level normal ones (the ABCSBBCS in Marvel, for example) - If there's a pretty large damage gap between the top and bottom averages you're going to have a rough time balancing the game to "feel" right at various levels of play.

Dahbomb

I barely have time for SF nowadays. I know I played T3 and didn't really "get" TTT back in the day. They had to add the 1v1 mode for a reason, though.
Sounds like I was right in saying that you wouldn't be interested in the game even if it was a 1v1 fighter. So your real reasons against TTT2 are more towards franchise fatigue than tag mechanics. A lot of those tag mechanics were in TTT1 as well (not all but the basic concept of tag fighting was in there and you still had to learn 2 characters) and hardly anyone brought up issues before.

Like do you have any issue with Tekken Revolution? It has no tag mechanics, less characters to learn, less mechanics to learn. Would that Tekken be something that interests you?

Sayah

You people can go back and forth on what game has the better team combo creativity. Tekken may have more mechanics because of the 3d plane and having lots of variables but Marvel is more flashy and crow pleasing. In the grand scheme of things, team building and chemistry is much more of a factor in Marvel by far.

I know Dahbomb isn't a Tekken hater. I think everyone can agree team building and chemistry is a bigger factor in MvC3. As it should be, considering it's a 3v3 fighter. There was just a point of disagreement over combos.

Dahbomb was a Tekken player before a Marvel player so he knows the mechanics well and knows what he's talking about
most of the time :p

Tekken, Souls series, and Smash Bros. are the only three series keeping gaming alive for me so I get a little invested in these type of discussions. Especially when it comes to these franchises' present state and future outlooks.

Like, if someone doesn't know how to do the Tag combos, but knows some mid-level normal ones (the ABCSBBCS in Marvel, for example) - If there's a pretty large damage gap between the top and bottom averages you're going to have a rough time balancing the game to "feel" right at various levels of play.

When you play solo, though, your damage output and health is increased to balance out the fact that you're playing against two characters.

Not to jump into something, but yes, this is what I want.

Like do you have any issue with Tekken Revolution? It has no tag mechanics, less characters to learn, less mechanics to learn. Would that Tekken be something that interests you?

I tried it briefly and it ticked a lot of boxes. The issues I had with it was firstly my PS3 died but more to the point it never felt like a serious Tekken game. Despite my dislike for tag mechanics, I'd still rather put the time into TTT2 at this point while we wait for whatever the next "real" thing is.

kirblar

Sounds like I was right in saying that you wouldn't be interested in the game even if it was a 1v1 fighter. So your real reasons against TTT2 are more towards franchise fatigue than tag mechanics. A lot of those tag mechanics were in TTT1 as well (not all but the basic concept of tag fighting was in there and you still had to learn 2 characters) and hardly anyone brought up issues before.

My criticisms were aimed at a "I don't think these mechanics are good for a franchise's games", not Tekken specifically, although in SFxT's case, yeah, they eventually just led me to just pick up good ole SF4 again.

I think Revolution seems to be a good step in a direction towards acquiring new players. Having a game series go down the D&D retention-only route is bad for everyone.

Dahbomb

Yeah I was about to say... if you want a TTT2 without tag mechanics then T6 is an obvious choice. You would only have a problem if the character you just had to play wasn't in T6 but the chances of that are low.

I wish Harada would bring Revolution on Steam already or on PS4.

DEATH™

Please no prainsing Tekken Rev please...

The only thing that makes people play Tekken Rev is:

1)It's free

2)Only few people who are actually good gets the habit of playing it.

The thing is, scrubs will ditch Tekken Rev if most TTT2 players actually treat it as the main game. You can gather alot of hatemails sayin you are a juggling turtly piece of whatever just by playing regular Tekken. Mechanics won't change a thing...

Kumubou

DEATH™;107088485 said:
Please no prainsing Tekken Rev please...

The only thing that makes people play Tekken Rev is:

1)It's free

2)Only few people who are actually good gets the habit of playing it.

The thing is, scrubs will ditch Tekken Rev if most TTT2 players actually treat it as the main game. You can gather alot of hatemails sayin you are a juggling turtly piece of whatever just by playing regular Tekken. Mechanics won't change a thing...
You discount that first point too much IMO; having a bigger playerbase for matchmaking is huge. I don't think scrubs would ditch TRevo is all of the good Tekken players started playing it more... the matchmaking should keep the two apart (outside of random smurfing attempts). If anything, there aren't enough ranks as it is -- matchmaking at max rank is completely fucked because you'll get everything from scrubby players (like me -_-) to actual good Tekken players, it's quite jarring.

I wish Harada would bring Revolution on Steam already or on PS4.
But there isn't a Tekken community on the PC!!! Honestly, I think he wanted to bring TTT2/TRevo to PC but they couldn't justify an entire rewrite of the engine to get it running on PC. It wouldn't surprise me at all if TxSF/T7/etc. end up on the PC, between the architecture shift on the curren-gen consoles and market changes over the last several years.

kirblar

But there isn't a Tekken community on the PC!!! Honestly, I think he wanted to bring TTT2/TRevo to PC but they couldn't justify an entire rewrite of the engine to get it running on PC. It wouldn't surprise me at all if TxSF/T7/etc. end up on the PC, between the architecture shift on the curren-gen consoles and market changes over the last several years.
I'm at the point where I'm basically buying only what I have to on PS3 (Ultra upgrade since PC is later, BBCP) - PC is so much easier and doesn't have decade-old wireless hardware.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't believe any developer saying they'll bring something to PC until they put their money where their mouth is.

And it isn't some shitty port that doesn't scale as well as it could.

Kumubou

In news that hurts my brain a little bit... DBFC seems to be doing really well. (Granted, the evidence here is mostly anecdotal). Hopefully that means that French Bread is stacking some paper from the release, at least.

I don't believe any developer saying they'll bring something to PC until they put their money where their mouth is.

And it isn't some shitty port that doesn't scale as well as it could.
The myopia from Japanese developers is too real. As for the bad PC ports... none of the big Japanese publishers have the PC experience western publishers do, so the institutional knowledge isn't there. I'm really curious to see how good/bad the PC version of Dark Souls 2 is, heh.

DEATH™

You discount that first point too much IMO; having a bigger playerbase for matchmaking is huge. I don't think scrubs would ditch TRevo is all of the good Tekken players started playing it more... the matchmaking should keep the two apart (outside of random smurfing attempts). If anything, there aren't enough ranks as it is -- matchmaking at max rank is completely fucked because you'll get everything from scrubby players (like me -_-) to actual good Tekken players, it's quite jarring.

That's what happend in TTT2. The game got a surprisingly good netcode and all of the sudden, a range of decent to pro players are playing are playing with the scrubs, while the scrubs got what I dubbed "The Arcade Experience". They got their butts whooped HARD and made then realized Tekken is not the button masher game and they cannot play the game like they played Tekken 3 on their old consoles. Hence the "Juggle-fest, get rid of bound plz." complaints.

This complaints on Tekken is actually nothing new. Large part of the Tekken franchise are casual players. And many casual players who gets THE ARCADE EXPERIENCE™ either follow the path of forum trolls/DOA players (seriously no joke, most of the art community I've been bashes Tekken hard and praise DOA hard, I guess having hawt game models help lol) or actually try to learn the game.

Also, the matchmaking doesn't do a thing... Ranks cannot determine skill level. Some random guy can stay at Dan ranks because he doesn't even touch that game much. It won't make a difference.

alstein

If you use there isn't a community as an excuse, you'll never get a community. I'd love to see newer titles make it to PC. I'm a litlte surprised anime games haven't given it more of a shot.

kirblar

The largest part of almost every community is casual players. That's where you get the majority of your sales and is often where the hidden problems lie.

edit: This presentiation (along with related articles on what exactly they did to course-correct) was the single biggest eye-opener for me on just how important they are and why companies like Blizzard have made the design decisions they have in WoW/Diablo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwpr9wSLDbM It's on MTG, and I'm not sure how accessible it is to non-players, but it radically changed how I view a lot of broad design topics when it comes to gaming.)

PC's problem is that these are all Japanese companies. :-/

DEATH™;107094059 said:
That's what happend in TTT2. The game got a surprisingly good netcode and all of the sudden, a range of decent to pro players are playing are playing with the scrubs, while the scrubs got what I dubbed "The Arcade Experience". They got their butts whooped HARD and made then realized Tekken is not the button masher game and they cannot play the game like they played Tekken 3 on their old consoles. Hence the "Juggle-fest, get rid of bound plz." complaints.

This complaints on Tekken is actually nothing new. Large part of the Tekken franchise are casual players. And many casual players who gets THE ARCADE EXPERIENCE™ either follow the path of forum trolls/DOA players (seriously no joke, most of the art community I've been bashes Tekken hard and praise DOA hard, I guess having hawt game models help lol) or actually try to learn the game.

Also, the matchmaking doesn't do a thing... Ranks cannot determine skill level. Some random guy can stay at Dan ranks because he doesn't even touch that game much. It won't make a difference.
Wild hypothesis. Letting people play each other online killed Tekken?

I sort of get that. My BIL owns T6, and we played it a lot. He wouldn't tell me anything about the game, and at first I was annoyed since I wanted to learn, but I slowly realized that despite playing Tekken for years, he knew absolutely nothing about it. I had to teach him how to tech throws! After a day of learning I never lost to him again. If the average Tekken player is like that, your story fits.

Anne

In news that hurts my brain a little bit... DBFC seems to be doing really well. (Granted, the evidence here is mostly anecdotal). Hopefully that means that French Bread is stacking some paper from the release, at least.

The myopia from Japanese developers is too real. As for the bad PC ports... none of the big Japanese publishers have the PC experience western publishers do, so the institutional knowledge isn't there. I'm really curious to see how good/bad the PC version of Dark Souls 2 is, heh.

I don't see why this is surprising. The game looks better than a lot of other stuff out right now, and it has a lot of popular characters in it.

kirblar

I sort of get that. My BIL owns T6, and we played it a lot. He wouldn't tell me anything about the game, and at first I was annoyed since I wanted to learn, but I slowly realized that despite playing Tekken for years, he knew absolutely nothing about it. I had to teach him how to tech throws! After a day of learning I never lost to him again. If the average Tekken player is like that, your story fits.
That is indeed your median player. (I don't know how to tech a throw either.) Ranking/matchmaking solves a number of those types of issues...provided you have enough active players.

Kumubou

DEATH™;107094059 said:
The hell it wouldn't... various ranking systems are effective in other competitive activities -- why would they be completely useless in fighting games? I think the utility of them stems from a lack of analytics in fighting games right now and the comparatively small player base.

Where does Xie live?
Maybe that's just in Chidoya or something.
He's in Yokohama.

I don't see why this is surprising. The game looks better than a lot of other stuff out right now, and it has a lot of popular characters in it.
Just what the heck does DBFC look better than right now? Have you been playing too much Phantom Breaker Extra or something? :V The game looks pretty stiff IMO, but the popular waifus help a lot. To be fair, I had almost the exact same impression about Aquapazza when that first came out, so who knows (especially if/when the game gets updated).

DEATH™

No, people getting whooped on their house with almost no kind of social interaction with the people you played with hurt the game.

The thing is, with the arcades, a newb can get whooped hard, but after that, he will have a chance to talk to another guy playing. He can ask for advice, or even make new friends along the way. The social interactions made the game great, and gave people motivations to get better.

The thing is, online gives you the buttwhooping without the social incentives. If you aren't a part of a online community or forum, it would be hard to find an incentive to get better. And tough luck too if your online community you got a part of bashes the game so hard. If everyone complains about hopkicks, hopkicks should be bad right? If everybody complained about getting juggled, it would not help me realize that it's not the game's fault that I suck.

That's the thing though... Even in DR days, scrubs come to TZ complaining about juggles, and that's having no bound! There are countless trolls that got epicly shut by St. George (who I really appreciate now). Even the complaints about Tekken being hard is nothing new (people who complain are late to the party). The only difference now is because of good online, there is sudden massive influx of these people that it became the social norm/mainstream to complain about the game lol...

The hell it wouldn't... various ranking systems are effective in other competitive activities -- why would they be completely useless in fighting games? I think the utility of them stems from a lack of analytics in fighting games right now and the comparatively small player base.

No, cause you can't properly rank someone accurately with a really small sample. A guy who plays TTT2 regularly for example can go to TRev for lulz sake. And it's accurate to say most high rank players on TRev are on a skill level of GrandMaster/7th Dan on TTT2... That's how bad the skill gap is...

It's good though that the game really got boring really fast... That's what happens when Tekken gets dumbed down...

kirblar

Ranking systems are rough in FGs due to the amount of churn in the system. Games start/end very quickly and there isn't a large enough userbase at any given time to let players just wait there until a good match comes along.

DEATH™;107096267 said:
No, people getting whooped on their house with almost no kind of social interaction with the people you played with hurt the game.

I feel telling new/casual players you are supposed to learn two characters and tag mechanics is a way bigger problem than letting them play online (then again the stupid online pass would not have helped either).

Top Bottom