• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 30 - April 6 | High Speed Korean Downloads

Sayah

Is Namco vs. Capcom feasible or is that not something people want after the SFXTK fiasco? I mean both companies are in pretty good relationship regardless, it seems.

DEATH™;107102159 said:
It's getting new players... It's just that you can't see them. I mean, Philippines is getting new players. Venenzuelan players are striving. Europe too. You look at Mastercup too and those are filling in the brim on players. If airfare ain't expensive, FR would even blow up. This is the time where it's just American thing...

Worldwide, the game is doing rather well. Especially, in Asia. I mean, it's on its third Master Cup. Then there was also Tekken Strike and Tekken Busters.

Main thing about Tekken 4 that I didn't like (which was promptly removed in T5) was that many stages had elevations and depressions. This meant that many combos didn't work because of those elevations and depressions. So if you had a combo you had to go to every ramp on every stage to check if that combo still worked.

Also some characters had stage infinites. Lee had a super easy infinite on that small Wresteling cage type stage for example.

It's really weird... when Tekken 4 came out I was like "why the hell did they do this". Why did they rework so many characters? Why did they remove so many characters? Why did they remove mechanics/change up so many moves? Why is the camera so up close? Why are the effects so muted?

Turns out after over a decade I finally understood why they made those changes. Tekken 4 was basically their preemptive answer to prevent series fatigue. It's basically what some people want after TTT2 now only Namco already tried it with T4. Less characters/clones, less mechanics, more "realistic" combat, less focus on mobility, more environment interaction, better graphics/different engine, 1v1 game play after TTT1 etc.

I pretty much expect the next Tekken to be a Tekken 4 like game. They are probably going to introduce a few new mechanics but also subtract mechanics/characters. Fans of the series will probably not like it. We'll see what happens.

Edit: Forgot about button mashing but IIRC they said they got requests for that so it's not fair of me to list it as something that no one wanted because according to Capcom people DID want it.

It's very likely Tekken 7 will be the next Tekken 4 but hopefully without the flaws. If Tekken 7 does end up failing, then I know I'll always have TTT2 to fall back on or I'll just take a break from the series like I did after Tekken 5.

I only play on Endless stages like Moonlight Wilderness. Easier to practice stuff in without walls getting in the way.

Yes, practicing would be very inefficient without infinite stages.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I had a dream the other night that Capt. America could throw an air shield at apex of his uppercut. It cost ex meter to do it.

I have Capt America on the brain.
I've been dreaming about Iron Man having homing missiles and repulsar shots out of his hands for 15 years.

I remember the 4chan (lol) rumour about UMvC3 where you can hold buttons to charge hand repulsar blasts and release to discharge them getting me excited that they might actually do something about his design being so far removed from the character, despite me not liking that sort of button holding play style at all.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, this came about today, along with a video showing how Zato can loop unblocks on you via restand shenanigans. Don't forget using YRC to escape mix ups and possibly punish people going for them. The mechanic is about as dumb as it could get

Do you have the link?

Re: Namco x Capcom. I don't want another crossover title. No more licensing crap. If there is a guest Namco character, cool. Nothing more though.

I've been dreaming about Iron Man having homing missiles and repulsar shots out of his hands for 15 years.

I remember the 4chan (lol) rumour about UMvC3 where you can hold buttons to charge hand repulsar blasts and release to discharge them getting me excited that they might actually do something about his design being so far removed from the character, despite me not liking that sort of button holding play style at all.
Remember when S-Kill said he was getting a new move? Lol

You mean go back a page.
Nope.

Jazz-ism

Banned
namco x capcom would be great man. they have done successful collabs before and i dont think there would be nearly the hassle between namco and capcom working post production support compared to marvel

the cast and potential for a REAL crossover title like that is def there

Sayah

Re: Namco x Capcom. I don't want another crossover title. No more licensing crap. If there is a guest Namco character, cool. Nothing more though.

I think Namco was pretty chill about it with SFXTK. Marvel is a different story. But I would be completely okay with Capcom All-Stars too. They should get more use out of that MvC3 engine.

namco x capcom would be great man. they have done successful collabs before and i dont think there would be nearly the hassle between namco and capcom working post production support compared to marvel

the cast and potential for a REAL crossover title like that is def there

Project X Zone is a more recent example and that involved Sega too.

I think Namco was pretty chill about it with SFXTK. Marvel is a different story. But I would be completely okay with Capcom All-Stars too. They should get more use out of that MvC3 engine.
No risks!

Plus there are a ton of Capcom characters I want to see in a fighter still. I can't think of anything I like from Namco.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The only "crossover" fighter that needs to happen is an updated Fighters Megamix.

- Bayonetta & Jeanne
- Joe Musashi & Hibana (Shinobi)
- Miku & other Miku
- Hornet from Daytona USA and the Celica from SEGA Rally
- Axel and Blaze (Streets of Rage)
- Ulala and Michael Jackson (alternatively, Pudding)
- Akira Yuki and Sarah Bryant
- Bonanza bros.
- Ryo Hazuki and Ren
- Altered Beast guy and the one guy from Golden Axe
- NiGHTs and Reala
- Amigo and Alex Kidd
- Agent G and the guy from MadWorld
Boss: Segata Sanshiro

Infinite

Captain America 2 was pretty entertaining but I couldn't help but feel like it was a generic spy movie wrapped in a Captain America coat of paint.

oneida

Captain America 2 was pretty entertaining but I couldn't help but feel like it was a generic spy movie wrapped in a Captain America coat of paint.
the
scene where fury gets attacked by winter soldier in broad daylight
though holy shit

No Clockwork Knight or somebody from Eternal Champions for a new Fighters Megamix? Throw in James Cools from Virtua Cop as well, he can play like Chris in marvel, heh.

oneida

No Clockwork Knight or somebody from Eternal Champions for a new Fighters Megamix? Throw in James Cools from Virtua Cop as well, he can play like Chris in marvel, heh.
- Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III & Princess Chelsea (Clockwork Knight)
- Shadow Yamato & RAX Coswell (Eternal Championship)
- James Cools from Virtua Cop and an 18 Wheeler from 18 Wheeler
- Bahn & Candy from Fighting Vipers
- Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone and the Cat from ChuChu Rocket
- HUmar & Red Ring Rico from PSO

this would be earth's best game

alstein

DEATH™;107100602 said:
This is not only about change... especially for Tekken. People pour their hearts out playing and improving that the skills they had would last a lifetime, kinda like playing guitar or drawing and painting. Would you want all those things that you practiced suddenly go to waste? It's not having a negative impact on their wins, it's about taking away the things that they enjoy on that game..

People put alot of coins and spent so much time for the things that they practiced, because they loved it. And then you removed that for the newbie that don't wanna put in the work? Yes, some people can deal with that for the sake of supporting the franchise, but then the game also becomes less enjoyable too! I mean, it's hard to go back to other wines if you tasted better ones..

I really get annoyed when people use this argument. To me it's saying "change nothing major forever"

At some point you have to adapt or join the senior's tour. This is the other reason why I want to keep TTT2 around- so the old farts can go play that instead while the series passes them by because they don't want to adapt.

It's the same argument ST heads used with 3S, and the same argument 3S used with SF4.

If you don't change, you die slowly, especially if you shot your load in the way TTT2 did by giving the old folks everything they want.

g7ZqaQ1.jpg

DEATH™

I really get annoyed when people use this argument. To me it's saying "change nothing major forever"

At some point you have to adapt or join the senior's tour. This is the other reason why I want to keep TTT2 around- so the old farts can go play that instead while the series passes them by because they don't want to adapt.

It's the same argument ST heads used with 3S, and the same argument 3S used with SF4.

If you don't change, you die slowly, especially if you shot your load in the way TTT2 did by giving the old folks everything they want.

If that's the case, Tekken's changing on each iteration. If you really looked at how each game was played before, you see the massive difference for each game. Look, a simple thing like the crush system added on T5 suddenly changes the way people play by being cautious on doing pokes. Bounds in T6 suddenly gave everyone a chance to wall carry, and changed the way on how people juggle. I mean, the changes are there and they are massive system changes.

The thing is, people want changes to make Tekken to stop being Tekken. That's unreasonable. It's like you want to have Ryu do fireball by pressing f+fierce because people can't handle the qcf motion. It's beyond ridiculous. The thing is, these little things that people want to change now is associated with Tekken for a long long time ago. There's a reason why MK decided to ditch 3D and can't leave the "clunky" engine they had and the fatalities and stuff. It's just embedded to the franchise.

-----------

P.S. thanks to Joshua from KTA for giving me the link... This is old school Tekken player Spero Jin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxu93AQkneo

petghost

Banned
gear always had characters that did some wild shit. ABA would make you block some stuff that would crank your guard bar incredibly fast after which basically any hit was like 70 to 100%. eddie knocks you down in the corner into an unblockable setup that takes most of your life...thats what eddie does. from what ive seen i think this version of eddie is more tame than he was in #R or AC. i see a lot more zoning from him in xrd even with the shadow out. he doesnt have an overhead shadow move this time so that only leaves him with two possible unblockable setups that i can imagine which would be off a command throw or off a KD or combo into dust in the the corner.

yrc has some weird implications and frc's worked fine so that makes some of the stupid stuff with them (like chipp teleport yrc) kinda hard to swallow but i also appreciate how open and potentially creative the new rc system is.

anyways the game is looking more interesting to me now that some neutral game is developing and people are really figuring out what to do with yrc.

DEATH™;107109455 said:
The thing is, people want changes to make Tekken to stop being Tekken. That's unreasonable.

I think people want changes so there still is a Tekken.

Sure Namco came through with the cash to keep things going at EVO, but it is clear churning out TTT3 on the same path isn't going to cut it.

alstein

DEATH™;107109455 said:
If that's the case, Tekken's changing on each iteration. If you really looked at how each game was played before, you see the massive difference for each game. Look, a simple thing like the crush system added on T5 suddenly changes the way people play by being cautious on doing pokes. Bounds in T6 suddenly gave everyone a chance to wall carry, and changed the way on how people juggle. I mean, the changes are there and they are massive system changes.

The thing is, people want changes to make Tekken to stop being Tekken. That's unreasonable. It's like you want to have Ryu do fireball by pressing f+fierce because people can't handle the qcf motion. It's beyond ridiculous. The thing is, these little things that people want to change now is associated with Tekken for a long long time ago. There's a reason why MK decided to ditch 3D and can't leave the "clunky" engine they had and the fatalities and stuff. It's just embedded to the franchise.

-----------

P.S. thanks to Joshua from KTA for giving me the link... This is old school Tekken player Spero Jin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxu93AQkneo

Well, you have to define what is and isn't Tekken. Bounds were a good change IMO, as were crushes. I don't think Tekken's clunky awkward movement system is necessary for Tekken to be Tekken. (generally if a mechanic can be described as awkward, it can be improved on) I always thought crushes were in as far back as Tekken 2 though, not formalized until 5.

I'd argue that hadoken's aren't awkward- a certain amount of motion is necessary, either to balance moves out or to prevent overlap.

For example, I think KOFXIII wasn't KOF enough for me because it was like an anime game due to the loops.

This is why I say Harada has his work cut out for him- he needs to Evolve Tekken in such a way to bring new players in without forcing old players out. That's really difficult with a long-established series. Ono did a great job in this regard.

mbpm1

So I played BBCP for the first time knowing nothing about it. I think it is both
1) Creative
2) Really unintuitive for a nonanime player unless you're playing Hakumen maybe.

Wish I could play it on PC to get a better feel for it.

also how UD can stand playing Tager, or anyone can, is beyond me.

alstein

So I played BBCP for the first time knowing nothing about it. I think it is both
1) Creative
2) Really unintuitive for a nonanime player unless you're playing Hakumen maybe.

Wish I could play it on PC to get a better feel for it.

also how UD can stand playing Tager, or anyone can, is beyond me.

Some folks enjoy the challenge of low mobility characters. I kinda enjoy playing low mobility/tanky chars myself.

Kimosabae

Banned
gear always had characters that did some wild shit. ABA would make you block some stuff that would crank your guard bar incredibly fast after which basically any hit was like 70 to 100%. eddie knocks you down in the corner into an unblockable setup that takes most of your life...thats what eddie does. from what ive seen i think this version of eddie is more tame than he was in #R or AC.

This. I don't get what the big deal is with the Eddie unblockable isn't that what he's been known to do?

Never liked the idea of the Purple/Yellow RCs. It puts the game closer to Marvel precincts, where unquantifiable/haphazard decision-making by an opponent can lead to rewards in the neutral game as long as they have 25%/50% meter ala X-Factor. It's not as stupid as that shitty mechanic's implementation, but it nudges GG in that direction, which I hate, and meter is 'easy-come-easy-go' in this series.

DEATH™

Well, you have to define what is and isn't Tekken. Bounds were a good change IMO, as were crushes. I don't think Tekken's clunky awkward movement system is necessary for Tekken to be Tekken. (generally if a mechanic can be described as awkward, it can be improved on) I always thought crushes were in as far back as Tekken 2 though, not formalized until 5.

I'd argue that hadoken's aren't awkward- a certain amount of motion is necessary, either to balance moves out or to prevent overlap.

For example, I think KOFXIII wasn't KOF enough for me because it was like an anime game due to the loops.

This is why I say Harada has his work cut out for him- he needs to Evolve Tekken in such a way to bring new players in without forcing old players out. That's really difficult with a long-established series. Ono did a great job in this regard.

That's the thing though... Again, we go back to the casual vs. competitive scene. Many casuals played T3 at home and doesn't have any kind of idea how Tekken was played for reals, that's why you see those complaints after some casuals get THE ARCADE EXPERIENCE™.

The identity of Tekken is already stamped...Casually, It a fighting game with deities, wrestlers, ninjas, MILFs, schoolgirls, martial artists, animals and robots wrapped together in a crazy but happy tourney. Casuals and competitive wise, it's not a good idea to cut characters. Sebastian, maybe... but Miharu?

tumblr_n30wxw9S2I1rjdhe5o1_400.gif

Competitively, It's a hard game, but it's a fighting game that gives you so much freedom that each people can play the same character yet play them so different.

Movement in general isn't the problem. On the basic level, everything makes sense. ff to forward dash, bb to backdash, u to sidestep foreground, qcf/dp to crouchdash, you can even have an idea on what input it is. The only thing I could tweak though is the backwalk. TRev was good, just a minor tweaks but it can go miles.

The real problem is making those casuals to take off the nostalgia glasses and actually make them play right. Many have this false idea on how to play Tekken, especially those "I want Tekken 3 back Harada!" people that you see on GameFaqs/Kotaku/Everywhere. The thing is, even if you put a robust tutorial, if the word on the street is nobody wants to play the game, there's a big chance that that guy won't play the game.

This is why it's more important IMO to just showcase the game. Show people that others play the game, and they play it the right way. This is why streams are important. This is in full effect on the eastern side of the globe where people can watch Mastercup or just frequent to arcades where people are playing. We don't have that luxury here in America, that's why streams, especially tourney streams are important.

I also believe the same way that people will stop believing that VF is a hard game when the game is actually showcased decently, kills all misinformation, and actually have events that fully showcase the game and the people who plays them.

I think people want changes so there still is a Tekken.

Sure Namco came through with the cash to keep things going at EVO, but it is clear churning out TTT3 on the same path isn't going to cut it.

Again, what changes? Look, You don't want to change something just for the sake of change. You look for what people loved on the game and fix what they didn't like, and the thing is... most of the things that some newbies hate, they finally love when they actually learn the game. In a sense, why would you change something if that something isn't the problem in the first place? I would worry more about how to make people play the game right, which is why the fight lab is there.

---------------

I just noticed... Harada and Tekken team is actually adding T4 elements in the game. Those breakable floors, walls and balconies act like those breakable stuff on T4 stages.

CPS2

I would really love to see a marvel style game from sega / sammy / atlus. I think a namco vs capcom game in the same style would kick ass as well. It was funny reading that thread about a microsoft fighting game, I can only imagine it being terrible. A whole bunch of the most unappealing nobody characters, and people getting excited about giving it to basically unknown developers who could probably make a decent smash bros clone because it couldn't be that hard right?

The next Tekken game should be free or cheap to buy, to encourage people to play with their friends. Make money back off of DLC.

They have already tried this with that single player SC game and Tekken Revolution, but TR is pretty broken thanks to crits...

alstein

The next Tekken game should be free or cheap to buy, to encourage people to play with their friends. Make money back off of DLC.

They have already tried this with that single player SC game and Tekken Revolution, but TR is pretty broken thanks to crits...

I don't think the DLC model works well with niche genres like fighters- outside of cosmetic DLC.

I don't think DLC sells well enough to justify a FTP/cheap base game model.

That said, FG fans are hardcore and fanatical, so high prices for games can work as a base package.

I bet if DOA5 sold as a pre-order for $100 with all DLC/expansions and future DLC as part of the package, people would have bought that. (the GalCiv3 model)

Tekken 7 could work with this model.

dtg

Neo Member
Yeah, I'd say the casual scene for most games is seriously 95-98% of the playerbase, maybe even more depending on the size of the game. It's really important to have a healthy casual scene to have a nice pool to pull competitive players from.

I was so casual, up until SF4 came out, I literally had no idea different characters had different amounts of health. They never show you any numbers, so I thought it was all the same.

Tekken is cool because they have Tekken Ball and Tekken Force. I would buy a PC Tekken release to play those alone, even though it's probably my third favorite 3D fighter.

Also I posted this in the Texas Showdown thread but does anyone know why Tekken gets so many matches compared to other games? It's Bo5, Bo5, and every match takes forever. It doesn't seem anymore random than Marvel. I could see Bo5 Bo3, but not it's current format.

CPS2

I was so casual, up until SF4 came out, I literally had no idea different characters had different amounts of health. They never show you any numbers, so I thought it was all the same.
I remember when Battle Fantasia came out and it showed how much health everyone had, people were straight away saying it wasn't balanced, after they'd barely even played it, just because the health numbers were different.

The only "crossover" fighter that needs to happen is an updated Fighters Megamix.

- Bayonetta & Jeanne
- Joe Musashi & Hibana (Shinobi)
- Miku & other Miku
- Hornet from Daytona USA and the Celica from SEGA Rally
- Axel and Blaze (Streets of Rage)
- Ulala and Michael Jackson (alternatively, Pudding)
- Akira Yuki and Sarah Bryant
- Bonanza bros.
- Ryo Hazuki and Ren
- Altered Beast guy and the one guy from Golden Axe
- NiGHTs and Reala
- Amigo and Alex Kidd
- Agent G and the guy from MadWorld
Boss: Segata Sanshiro

based on Final Showdown engine? i'd play this.

Also I posted this in the Texas Showdown thread but does anyone know why Tekken gets so many matches compared to other games? It's Bo5, Bo5, and every match takes forever. It doesn't seem anymore random than Marvel. I could see Bo5 Bo3, but not it's current format.

3/5 rounds is the game standard, both in the arcade and online. The veterans in the community pushed for 3/5 games because they felt risky play was too rewarding and wanted more games to overcome it. Some of them have come around to thinking 3/5 is too much/too long and unnecessary after the game has been out for a bit now, but I think TOs in the Tekken hotbeds of the country still try to fit 3/5 games in if they can.

Top Bottom