• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Norcal Regionals CEO Dreamland Hypespotting 04/14-04/16

In 2016, Norcal Regionals had 15 pools of 23-24 players each and a death pool bracket of 52 players, making it 397-412 players for SFV. In 2017, NCR has 18-20 players in 15 pools and currently a death pool bracket of 7 players (This will likely increase though because of more emergency regs), making it 277-307 currently.

Losing about a hundred people from a game year to year means that at least on SFV side, the game is contracting showing that people aren't playing this game to begin with.

In 2015, USF4's last year at NCR pre-SF5 was 16 pools of 16, for a maximum of 256...less than SF5 this year.

So, if you're trying to imply that SF5's numbers are low, then you're basically saying USF4's numbers in its prime were "lower than low"...which is crazy.

The SF5 "brand new game" shine has worn off, so some drop off is expected. But, these numbers for NCR are still great. Clearly folks are still interested.

Just looking at entries for SFV, last year, Hypespotting had a full 256 man bracket for SFV and capped it long before emergency registration. This year is at 160, although I don't know if Hypespotting is doing emergency registration this year.

Well, Red Bull Kumite's 256 spots sold out in 5 minutes:
https://twitter.com/Louffy086/status/841006352327725056

So, let's not act like the game is dying or anything.

Tripon

In 2015, USF4's last year at NCR pre-SF5 was 16 pools of 16, for a maximum of 256...less than SF5 this year.

So, if you're trying to imply that SF5's numbers are low, then you're basically saying USF4's numbers in its prime were "lower than low"...which is crazy.

The SF5 "brand new game" shine has worn off, so some drop off is expected. But, these numbers for NCR are still great. Clearly folks are still interested.

Well, Red Bull Kumite's 256 spots sold out in 5 minutes:
https://twitter.com/Louffy086/status/841006352327725056

So, let's not act like the game is dying or anything.

They are low, they're lower than what they were last year. You think Capcom or TO's in general want to see a decline any year? Especially when SFV was supposed to bring an explosive growth that people have been waiting for years? Yes, they're currently still better what SFIV numbers was, and? Who in the hell is interested in comparing SFV to SFIV right now, I'm only interested in how SFV performs. Tournament o

Again, a hundred person decline in a game is not good news no matter how you slice it. You want it to compare it to SFIV numbers, go right ahead. Different games, different expectations. Tournament organizers have to plan tournaments based on expected numbers. If numbers continue to decline while they rent larger venues with the higher fees associated with it, that's a quick way for the tournament scene to die out. There won't be majors for anyone to pay attention to in the long run.

Nobody needs to act like the game is dying, Capcom is doing a good job at making sure it happens already.

They are low, they're lower than what they were last year. You think Capcom or TO's in general want to see a decline any year? Especially when SFV was supposed to bring an explosive growth that people have been waiting for years? Yes, they're currently still better what SFIV numbers was, and? Who in the hell is interested in comparing SFV to SFIV right now, I'm only interested in how SFV performs. Tournament o

Again, a hundred person decline in a game is not good news no matter how you slice it. You want it to compare it to SFIV numbers, go right ahead. Different games, different expectations. Tournament organizers have to plan tournaments based on expected numbers. If numbers continue to decline while they rent larger venues with the higher fees associated with it, that's a quick way for the tournament scene to die out. There won't be majors for anyone to pay attention to in the long run.

Nobody needs to act like the game is dying, Capcom is doing a good job at making sure it happens already.

What is this, a post from 2016. You and others acting like the SF scene is dying are out of your minds. Your supposed scenario of some chain reaction that will somehow kill majors is such a reach past logic it boggles the mind. If organizers see numbers going down why would they continue expanding venues? They'll downscale accordingly.

Anyways, feel free to save this quote and get back to me when the scene's impending doom arrives.

Unlucky

NCR Marvel top 8 (to be played on Sunday)

Winners
RyanLV vs Apologyman
Killer Kai vs Chris G

Losers
KyleP vs J2Jin
Jibrill vs PR Balrog

BlizzKrut

Banned

It's probably because last year the game had just released.

Unlucky

For those that missed the stream, Justin Wong actually played Marvel in tournament at NCR. Supposedly he wants to get ready for EVO. He lost in pools twice to KyleP (the first match with the Justin classic team, then with his Iron Fist team).

SmokeMaxX

I've been a TO for fighting games for over 10 years. This literally always happens. A new street fighter game comes out and EVERYONE plays it. Then the next year people realize they suck and don't enter. A decline is not only normal, it's expected.

Vice

Fighting games have big declines. It's nowhere near the cliff NRS and ArcSys games fall off though. If TOs didn't expect a game to go from abnormally high numbers to something less after launch, and at a tournament held in the first couple months of the biggest launch in the scene, their planning isn't too good. Same way Tekken 7 will see a huge drop by Evo 2018 compared to 2017.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Unless they added somebody, it's going to be a boring death bracket. Only notable name I saw was Brettiscool

Which is a good thing, the death pool last year did it's job and convinced people to register on time.

HardRojo

Fuck I'm not in Lima and it seems the Internet over here is acting up, the wifi is slow af and I don't want to consume too much of my data. Had no idea J2 Jin was in the US for this tournament, I haven't hung out with the Peruvian Marvel community in a good while.

jett

D-Member
SF4 looks so robotic and stilted in this old footage. Definitely not something I'd ever be interested in going back to.

vulva

Does the plane stage have some kind of issue like Kanzuki Beach? I never see it played in tournaments.
The water covers the character models at times. This means certain lows will be completely invisible and make punishes /spacing unfairly difficult

Top Bottom