• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Bets - Will Switch Outsell PS2?

Final bets - will the Switch outsell PS2?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sojiro

"But Noooo, Switch is a handheld! It doesn't count :messenger_loudly_crying:"

These arbitrary restrictions on which sales number should be fair to count will never not be strange to me. By that logic, we should disqualify a good chunk of PS2's sales since many people bought it as a DVD player. It was highly competitive - a better price than standalone DVD players. For you youngins, this was pre-streaming era. DVD was the THING to get after VHS. And let's not forget PS2 had multiple price drops, reaching as low as $99.

In my personal, arbitrary goal posts, only sales at $199 mark and above count. Sorry, PS2, but it looks like you've already been lapped by Switch twice over 🤡 honk honk
It's the same thing every time one of these threads pop up. There will be a fun display of mental gymnastics as to why it doesn't count for the Switch for all the same reasons we usually see (it's not a console, we can't count the lite, it's all because of the pandemic, only babies and small children younger than 5 play it, etc etc). At this point I just smile, because it is always entertaining to watch lol. Switch passing the PS2's number is going to be a devasting day for some people.

I think switch 2 will bomb.And the reason for that is the switch is mostly owned by casuals family with kids not hardcore gamers.Si they don’t care or they only care if their kids care and want the newest switch.Especially with the same name Switch 2 or Switch pro people who don’t visit gaming sites will think it’s the same with a few different functions.I think Switch 2 will be between 50-80 million compared to Switch 1 it will bomb hard
You got it wrong, the switch is only owned and played by babies and small children ages 5 or less of course. Lol I love these posts

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m prepared for the switch to outsell the PS2, totk have the switch extra attention.

Celine

Wow I had no idea!

It’s an expression. I’m not even the one who came up with it. It doesn’t mean a literal country. Obviously. Some people on here… lmao, just wow

It’s no secret that Nintendo in Europe tends have more success in France in particular vs other countries in that region.
In Germany too NSW should be ahead of PS2.

As soon as the Switch pulls to within a million units, Sony will unleash the PS2 mini for $49.99. Full of rare .iso games BUT it will also be a DVD player. Checkmate Nintendo, PS2… more like PS 200 million!
(continuing on your joke)
Looking at what a big flop PS1 mini was I doubt it would move the needle much.
The poor thing was half the price three weeks after launch and was sold for $20-$25 after a few months to dispose all the unsold stock.

Last edited:

Oof85

In Germany too NSW should be ahead of PS2.

(continuing on your joke)
Looking at what a big flop PS1 mini was I doubt it would move the needle much.
The poor thing was half the price three weeks after launch and was sold for $20-$25 after a few months to dispose all the unsold stock.
Because for that era, Playstation was built off 3rd party hits.

Ps1-ps2, the biggest hits for the systems were made by third parties, barring GT.

A Ps1 mini without the titles that crowned the library is a weak proposition.
Ps2 as well.

It's PS3 onwards where Sony fp really became a name to rally around, barring outliers like Ueda titles on PS2 and GT.

daxgame

I think it will depend on a few things:
- A price drop
- The release date of Switch 2

if the second condition is end of 2025, then even if the first is not met, it will pass 160m.
If Switch 2 releases in the first half of 2025 with no price drop it will be very tight.
If a price drop happens, then I also expect it to pass 160m.

We just don't agree on the merits of the argument. Switch Lite is a Switch game player, that exclusively plays Switch games. In my opinion, whether or not it has the capability to dock to a television or not is irrelevant. The user who decides to purchase a Switch Lite over a standard Switch makes that decision for themself. And I'm just not sure why that distinction matters at all, for the purposes of this debate.

We're counting Switch sales as any Switch game player in the Switch family. Carving out ones to make an argument that it hasn't sold as much as it has is completely lost on me, as an argument.

Mentioning NES or GameBoy or Game Gear makes no sense, because all of those systems have unique libraries and there was no cross-compatibility. The only time I'd agree that it makes logical sense to carve sales out of a system's LTD sales, would be if someone attemped to lump Game Boy and Game Boy Color together. GBC was a successor to Game Boy, and had it's own unique library. It's got nothing to do with backward compatibility. You can lump GameBoy and Game Boy Pocket together, sure. GBP was just a cosmetic iteration, same exact library, and was a continuation of the original Game Boy line of hardware.
must be nice to be clever

Something else people don't mention is that Switch has a chance to outsell PS2's software total of 1537 million, Currently 1235 million and it will be at 1400 million by March 31st if they meet their 165 million forecast. Software declines at a much slower rate than hardware and with the Switch Eshop likely to be up for another 7 years it is almost certain that Switch Passes the PS2 in software sales.

qGNVECW.png

Woopah

Something else people don't mention is that Switch has a chance to outsell PS2's software total of 1537 million, Currently 1235 million and it will be at 1400 million by March 31st if they meet their 165 million forecast. Software declines at a much slower rate than hardware and with the Switch Eshop likely to be up for another 7 years it is almost certain that Switch Passes the PS2 in software sales.

qGNVECW.png
And of course that's not including all the digital-only games. Still a fair comparison since PS2 didn't have any digital-only games.

Does Ps2 also have the highest software sales record currently? Or has it already been beaten by another system?
Officially yes, the last known official PS4 software total was just over 1.4 billion before Sony started combining PS4 and PS5 quarterly software shipments at the end of 2020. PS4 most likely around 1.8 billion but we just don't know.

Top 10

Software Totals​

Total worldwide sales (in millions of units) per platform. For all platforms that are no longer manufactured, all figures are total shipments from manufacturers. For current platforms, all figures are current sales as measured by VGChartz
Type: Hardware Software Tie-Ratio

plenty of households had multiple consoles. Hell we had three ps2’s (the family ps2, the one in my room and a third one in my brother’s room
upper middle class, most people definitely didn't have three PlayStation 2s.
but Nintendo Switch has a screen It is a product in which a family can buy up to 4 units. The PS2 was 1 unit per family.

Closer

upper middle class, most people definitely didn't have three PlayStation 2s.
but Nintendo Switch has a screen It is a product in which a family can buy up to 4 units. The PS2 was 1 unit per family.

You're assuming there were only 1 PS2 per family while also assuming there are multiple switches per family. Amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom