• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 UK physical sales beat Diablo 4's and Dead Island 2's

IAmRei

Your argument doesn't make sense, XV had action combat and awful action combat at that. XVI combat is far more engaging and polished.

I have a friend who was a diehard turnbased fan that is loving XVI.
i'm not your friend yet, but at the same boat. i was sceptical with action combat final fantasy much after ff7r, but i saw DMC producer there, and instantly considered it promising already. saw the demo, makes me feels that turn based combat final fantasy might be not accepted much these days. and went fully hack and slash might wowed lot of people todays

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ofc there is a difference in quality but imo hitting 90 is hitting critical mass. Around 95 there is further hype boost.

I think you are missing the point. ProtoByte ProtoByte makes the point even more clear.

Metacritic is finicky as it is, nailing down how people perceive it is worse. But I'd guess that the difference between a flat 80 and an 86 is a lot larger than the difference between an 85 and an 89.

Exactly! Now lets talk about the difference between an 88 and a 90. That difference is so small that there's no way in the world people honestly would buy the game like crazy if it scored a 90, instead of an 88. People aren't that stupid.

LakeOf9

Is this supposed to be impressive? Dead Island 2 is a mid budget game with zero marketing that only got popular over time thanks to WoM, and Diablo 4 sells the bulk on PC, and had a digital edition that gave you early access (neither of those tracked by these charts).

In terms of direct comparisons, this game did worse than RE, SW, HL, and TOTK. It is the worst performing big budget debut of the year so far. You literally had to reach the bottom of the barrel and compare to dead island 2 to make these numbers seem good (you very conspicuously don’t mention the debuts of the other major games this year).

Hopefully digital makes up the difference because right now this is a TERRIBLE debut, and not at all making the point your damage control wants to make.

ProtoByte

Exactly! Now lets talk about the difference between an 88 and a 90. That difference is so small that there's no way in the world people honestly would buy the game like crazy if it scored a 90, instead of an 88. People aren't that stupid.
Well, when you get into the 90s, it's a new decile region, right? I would say that the difference between an 88 and a flat 90 isn't big. Otherwise, Deathloop would've sold bucketloads.

But the difference between an 88 and a 93 is pretty big. I do agree with the critical mass comment to some degree. Again, it's quite finicky.

That being said, the game is scored at what it's scored at, and there are games that have come out this year with lower scores and higher sales. Critical reception was going to matter with this game, but only take it so far. I've already stated why I think that is.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
78% drop week over week for FF16, estimated to have sold around 8K units (via tweet comments), Zelda is back at #1.

Last edited:

sendit

78% drop week over week for FF16, estimated to have sold around 8K units (via tweet comments), Zelda is back at #1.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Brucey

This is a tough call. Microsoft effectively handicapped Starfields customer base in half by making it console exclusive to Xbox. To put this in perspective, Skyrim (an established franchise) sold over 60 million copies as a multi-platform release spanning multiple generations.
It's worse than that. We are prob closer to 2 to 1 sales advantage for PS5 versus Xbox (~42 million versus ~21 million). Tho anyone with a reasonable PC will be able to play it on PC gamepass.

Varteras

Gold Member
Big week 2 sales drops are common. RE4 dropped by 69% its second week. Preorders accumulated over months play a huge role in Week 1 sales.

Roufianos

Nice but this really doesn’t tell us anything. It’s already been shown that physical sales are pretty abysmal in the UK across the board and only make up a fraction. Not saying the game flopped because it’s obvious it hadn’t but saying this is the evidence why isn’t a gotcha moment like you presented it as OP.

Physical is actually very healthy on PS5. Some games last year had a fairly even split.

StueyDuck

Banned
Congrats to all the games and devs doing well.

Surprised at Diablo 4 though. Shows blizzard have (rightfully) fallen from grace with gamers.

The beta for D4 seemed decent 🤷‍♂️. I was never gonna buy it but I thought everyone went crazy over those games

lucbr

So Diablo 4 digital is 93%? This is a gigantic number, isn't?

And FF XVI at %56 is kind low?

So how is the FF XVI sales in general now with the physical /digital split?

Madflavor

It sold 3 million in 5 days. Jrpgs are typically front loaded, by 3 million is a good start. Yoshi-P talked about an 18 month sales plan, which includes a PC release, so we'll see. I don't expect the next big real update on FFXVI sales for a while though.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
2nd week drop for the last few Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy XIII (-80%)
Final Fantasy XV (-75%)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (-87%)
Final Fantasy XVI (-78%)
So it's actually normal.

Interesting.

Woopah

Remember that Diablo is very popular on PC, which will significantly raise the digital ratio. Digital ratio for console-only
sales are not that high

Mephisto40

Seems a bit silly to compare it to Diablo, I would guess that a huge chunk of people bought Diablo 4 digital purely just because of the premium and deluxe editions, which you can't buy in the shops physically

Top Bottom