• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 UK physical sales beat Diablo 4's and Dead Island 2's

gow3isben

Incredible game likely GOTY surpassing even Jedi Survivor and RE4 for me if it maintains,

Only complaint is it is too easy and you get rewarded for dying lol by bouncing back at a checkpoint with replenished items.

Ragnarok is one of my favorite games of all times but this year overall blows last year out the water with such consistent quality.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Final Fantasy is a way more casual game in general which could easily sell more then Starfield which will be on Gamepass day one.
If Starfield turns out to be Skyrim in Space then the base game alongside mod support is probably going to fare better in the long term.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It does feel like a 4k ps3 games at time. The design feels dated outside of the epic boss battles. Like, by all accounts ffxv is a way worse game, but it also felt next gen in a way this doesn’t really. I know they opted out of an open world to get the game made faster, but I feel it would have helped this game. The area’s feel like slightly bigger and more detailed areas than those found in tales of a rise, a great game to be sure, but also a lower budget rpg

Luigi Mario

I'm curious to see how FFXVI is going to perform in the UK with digital included, but it's numbers are obviously down from FFXV due to being on fewer platforms and physical having less importance these days.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

It does feel like a 4k ps3 games at time. The design feels dated outside of the epic boss battles. Like, by all accounts ffxv is a way worse game, but it also felt next gen in a way this doesn’t really. I know they opted out of an open world to get the game made faster, but I feel it would have helped this game. The area’s feel like slightly bigger and more detailed areas than those found in tales of a rise, a great game to be sure, but also a lower budget rpg
Open world isn't the problem so much as very PS2 game design.

Nubulax

Incredible game likely GOTY surpassing even Jedi Survivor and RE4 for me if it maintains,

Only complaint is it is too easy and you get rewarded for dying lol by bouncing back at a checkpoint with replenished items.

Ragnarok is one of my favorite games of all times but this year overall blows last year out the water with such consistent quality.
I feel like this is a better God of War game than Ragnarok was lol... and I loved Ragnarok and binged all the way through it

MrA

Physical only #'s

so if it's proportional with re4, ww will be like 2.25 million in 3 days, which is about 2/3 of final fantasy 7 remakes, and half of final fantasy 15,
unless UK sales are particularly weak or it pulls old final fantasy-like numbers in Japan, which would both pull it higher
so a solid start, but weaker than a mainline final fantasy has opened to for a decade, if this was a western square studio it clearly would not have been good enough, but we'll have to see how it legs go

Madflavor

It's probably going to do fine. I think people are probably underestimating how much FFXVI needs to sell to be a success. Ideally I think 5 million in 6 months would be really good if it can reach that.

It's probably going to do fine. I think people are probably underestimating how much FFXVI needs to sell to be a success. Ideally I think 5 million in 6 months would be really good if it can reach that.
But Ragnarok did 5.1 million in 5 days

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
so a solid start, but weaker than a mainline final fantasy has opened to for a decade, if this was a western square studio it clearly would not have been good enough, but we'll have to see how it legs go

Lots of assumptions being made

It’s possible this does worse than FF15 initially, that game tarnished the brand and was available on more platforms with a higher user base

But I expect FF16 to sell much better over time due to word of mouth and an eventual pc release

MrA

Lots of assumptions being made

It’s possible this does worse than FF15 initially, that game tarnished the brand and was available on more platforms with a higher user base

But I expect FF16 to sell much better over time due to word of mouth and an eventual pc release
how is stating numbers an assumption? unless the uk is weak compared to the rest of the world or Japan is strong for ff16, it is going to open substantially lower, the only assumption I made was that ff16s performance in the UK against the rest of the world would line up with similar numbers to RE4s ff15 opened 80% on ps4 with about 7 million or about 20% more units, but during the holidays when legs tend to be stronger and launch weaker,
and yes legs I stated they would matter, and then you're the one making rather large assumptions that the word of mouth will undo the "damage" of ff15, as that can go either way

though I do find it funny that all the PlayStation fanboys that usually harp about ps dominance on multiplatform suddenly find multiplatform to be a huge advantage against a PlayStation exclusive

It was lower than 15 on ps4 which was also on two consoles. 😢
Wild.

But Final Fantasy XV had a s*** ton of height for having such a massively long development cycle. I think XVI will not do a better job of having strong sales for a consistently longer period of time as word gets out that it's not XV steaming pile of garbage.

drotahorror

I wonder how much money it costs to sell physical games? Like everything from manufacturing to shipping etc. If it's quite a bit, we might see the end of physical games sooner, or atleast much less copies to be found. Maybe it'll even just be preorders for physical.

I've got to say, you're making a huge mistake buying physical today.

There is no guarantee that the PS6 or next Xbox will be backward compatible but all signs suggest they will, but going further there is no guarantee that they'll take physical games, where they would certainly take digital.

People buying physical might be locking themselves out of their game library in the future and while they can keep their current systems, other gamers are likely to be able to play the same catalog with enhancements.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
how is stating numbers an assumption? unless the uk is weak compared to the rest of the world or Japan is strong for ff16, it is going to open substantially lower, the only assumption I made was that ff16s performance in the UK against the rest of the world would line up with similar numbers to RE4s ff15 opened 80% on ps4 with about 7 million or about 20% more units, but during the holidays when legs tend to be stronger and launch weaker,
and yes legs I stated they would matter, and then you're the one making rather large assumptions that the word of mouth will undo the "damage" of ff15, as that can go either way

though I do find it funny that all the PlayStation fanboys that usually harp about ps dominance on multiplatform suddenly find multiplatform to be a huge advantage against a PlayStation exclusive

You’re getting no way too defensive bud, and you already pointed out the assumptions on your own, so no need for me to clarify

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People buying physical might be locking themselves out of their game library in the future
Worse case scenario I will keep my PS5 to replay my older games while still using PS6 to play new games.
giphy.gif

There is no guarantee that the PS6 or next Xbox will be backward compatible but all signs suggest they will, but going further there is no guarantee that they'll take physical games, where they would certainly take digital.

People buying physical might be locking themselves out of their game library in the future and while they can keep their current systems, other gamers are likely to be able to play the same catalog with enhancements.
LMAO Sony's not going to sell a console which doesn't have a disc drive, most of the world doesn't have Internet where you can just casually download 200+ GB in 5 minutes

Microsoft might though, and I hope they do, because it will be a suicide for Xbox if they do it

Last edited:
Worse case scenario I will keep my PS5 to replay my older games while still using PS6 to play new games.
giphy.gif

I like how you trimmed the quote to remove the part where I said that's exactly what you'd have to do, but that you wouldn't get any of the enhancements that might be involved playing these games on PS6.

Going forward the way games are made now, you're definitely hurting yourself buying physical.

LMAO Sony's not going to stop offering consoles without a disc drive, most of the world doesn't have Internet where you can just casually download 200+ GB in 5 minutes

Microsoft might though, and I hope they do, because it will be a suicide for Xbox if they do it

There is a good chance Sony will stop offering consoles without a disc drive or at least not stock and you'll have to buy an expensive attachment EVERY new console iteration... Games are becoming so large even with advanced compression techniques that the games aren't really being sold physically anyways in many cases, so you still need internet.

The amount they'll lose from people who can't play via physical vs what they'll get from having no competition with retail is immense.

The sales in those regions to begin with are limited anyways.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

That decision was made with the PS5 & PS5 Digital.
Which one sold more despite being harder to get and costing more.
And which one is now harder to get because they aren't producing as many because of the lack of demand.
And physical & digital sales comparisons are disingenuous.
most of the sales are from smaller digital only games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like how you trimmed the quote to remove the part where I said that's exactly what you'd have to do, but that you wouldn't get any of the enhancements that might be involved playing these games on PS6.

Going forward the way games are made now, you're definitely hurting yourself buying physical.
Assuming I would actually care about stuff like that, if PS6 is backward compatible with PS5 then I will trade my PS5 for PS6 if not I will keep my PS5, its that simple.

I mean you can still play your PSOne and PS2 games even to this day if you have the original consoles.

Square wouldn't be happy with those sales.

I mean, SE sold the soul of Final Fantasy to get higher sales (action game combat, grim serious tone), and they are treated to lower sales than previous entries?

Assuming I would actually care about stuff like that, if PS6 is backward compatible with PS5 then I will trade my PS5 for PS6 if not I will keep my PS5, its that simple.

I mean you can still play your PSOne and PS2 games even to this day if you have the original consoles.

• PS6 can be backward compatible with PS5 but not take physical discs
  • Maintaining old hardware devices gives you no potential enhancements and a greater chance of the old hardware no longer working after a period

BC vs BC with enhancement is a huge difference.

PS1 games worked on PS2 but they weren't marginally if at all better on PS2. PS3 originally played PS1 and PS2 games, but again, not marginally better.

This generation has really been the first for substantial enhancements in previously owned games if that trend continues people buying on physical mediums are setting themselves up for worse experiences down the line. It's a clear and present danger of buying physical.

Madflavor

Square wouldn't be happy with those sales.

I mean, SE sold the soul of Final Fantasy to get higher sales (action game combat, grim serious tone), and they are treated to lower sales than previous entries?

Benji Sales, a pretty reliable analyst mentioned awhile ago that FFXVI will be considered a failure if it doesn't sell 5 million within 6 months.

Sleepwalker

Not bothered by this, Sony will be the only ones locking themselves out of my wallet.

Ill just keep my old console and move to PC where I can get games over 50% cheaper than on PSN due to regional pricing, online is free and I can get more horsepower than a console.

I'm happy with my PS and as long as I can use discs Ill be there, but Sony are not guaranteed my loyalty.

Madflavor

What was his reasoning for this timeframe?
I'm trying to go by memory since it was back in April/May. Had to do with the PS5 install base in comparison to PS4. The install base for the PS5 in Japan is a lot smaller currently. The exclusivity deal Square got from Sony has offset much of the cost for FFXVI, setting it's break even point low enough to offset or potential outweigh the potential lost sales from an Xbox release. To put into perspective, FFVII:R sold 5 million in 3 months. Now that was at the tail end of the PS4's run when it had a much larger install base worldwide in comparison to the PS5. But despite this, even with 5 millions copies sold, that satisfied Square enough to approve multiple FFVII projects to be made, including increase the budget for Rebirth.

FFXVI is likely not going to sell as fast as FFVII:R, but it also doesn't have too. Whether it'll leg out and surpass FFVII:R and FFXV years from now remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

I'm trying to go by memory since it was back in April/May. Had to do with the PS5 install base in comparison to PS4. The install base for the PS5 in Japan is a lot smaller currently. The exclusivity deal Square got from Sony has offset much of the cost for FFXVI, setting it's break even point low enough to offset or potential outweigh the potential lost sales from an Xbox release. To put into perspective, FFVII:R sold 5 million in 3 months. Now that was at the tail end of the PS4's run when it had a much larger install base worldwide in comparison to the PS5. But despite this, even with 5 millions copies sold, that satisfied Square enough to approval multiple FFVII projects to be made, including increase the budget for Rebirth.

FFXVI is likely not going to sell as fast as FFVII:R, but it also doesn't have too. Whether it'll leg out and surpass FFVII:R and FFXV years from now remains to be seen.
Because you're mentioning it, Square Enix never gave us another update on FF7R’s sales numbers beyond that 5 million copies sold announcement.
You would think that Remake is at 6 or 7 million by now.

Last edited:
Yoshida, after been asked what expected sales the team and SE are waiting for the game, said that they have a 18 months sales plan, whatever it is, I don’t know.

But 5 million by the end of the year is reasonable

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean after the let down of FFXV, to still have currently the 5th biggest launch of the year in the UK seems pretty solid?

FF7R came afterwards and was well received. Also…

the only games it trails are two of the biggest IP on the planet (Star Wars + Harry Potter), the remake of one of the best games ever (RE4) and the highly anticipated sequel to what is widely considered one of the best games of all-time (Zelda)

It’s not like we’ve had many other AAA launches this year aside the ones you’ve quoted.

I suppose we’ll learn more when digital figures show up, or we get word from Japan

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
FYI this is the boxed figure tweet he is referencing there.

But it doesn't include digital, obviously.

I bought only physical in 2015, I only buy CEs now and even then, still buy Digital first.

The XV comparisons are worthless - its a different world to 2015.

Fabieter

If the game had released on PC at launch it would have been far higher as well, assuming a decent PC version that is. There is a rather large FF fanbase on PC considering FF14.

No reason to get emotional. People compare it to previous final fantasy and imo that comparison is lacking and one reason is People on one of the biggest platforms know its coming.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because you're mentioning it, Square Enix never gave us another update on FF7R's sales numbers beyond that 5 million copies sold announcement.
You would think that Remake is at 6 or 7 million by now.

That 5 million announcement was described as ‘shipped and digitally sold’, so not entirely sold through.

With the PC release, it’s probably around 8 million now, factoring in guaranteed sales the EGS deal would have netted for them.

Fabieter

That 5 million announcement was described as ‘shipped and digitally sold’, so not entirely sold through.

With the PC release, it’s probably around 8 million now, factoring in guaranteed sales the EGS deal would have netted for them.

The 5m was pre ps5 Version as well, wasn't it? I would say 8m is a save bet.

Zathalus

No reason to get emotional. People compare it to previous final fantasy and imo that comparison is lacking and one reason is People on one of the biggest platforms know its coming.
Not quite sure how my post was emotional, but alright.

Yes, PC players know it is coming, so sales would have been much higher if they just launched on PC as well. There is a very large section of PC players that simply won't buy a console no matter the exclusive games on it, so PC/PS5 would be way higher then PS5 only even if it was a permanent exclusive.

Top Bottom