• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 UK physical sales beat Diablo 4's and Dead Island 2's

Kumomeme

Also, I had to ...

7qjnif.gif

ffxiv GIF

Fabieter

Not quite sure how my post was emotional, but alright.

Yes, PC players know it is coming, so sales would have been much higher if they just launched on PC as well. There is a very large section of PC players that simply won't buy a console no matter the exclusive games on it, so PC/PS5 would be way higher then PS5 only even if it was a permanent exclusive.

That's not my point at all. There are comparison made to xv which was also not pc day one and it wasn't even sure at what timeframe pc gamers would get it.

Lol so it sold more or less the same as Xbox One's version of FFXV on first week, ofc just physical copies wise, on digital it will do much better but yea it was hard not to see it underperforming compared to FFXV or even FFVII remake since months ago.

Honestly that sounds like good news to me, wonder what their plans with FFXVII will be, also wonder if Persona 6 will end up being the new king of JRPG's sales wise (not counting Pokemon ofc) if it's multiplatform and it has a good marketing campaign, it seems word of mouth is helping this saga muuuch more than FF this last years

Fools idol

Banned
I was against the whole digital movement until I had kids and my house rapidly filled with 'stuff'. Now, I want as little 'stuff' as possible. Digital ftw

Madflavor

Because you're mentioning it, Square Enix never gave us another update on FF7R's sales numbers beyond that 5 million copies sold announcement.
You would think that Remake is at 6 or 7 million by now.
3+ years, plus the Integrade PS5 port and the PC release. I'm betting Remake is sitting at 8 million at this point. It'll see another uptick in sales as we get closer to Rebirth.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Really disappointing sales. The game is phenomenal and deserves better. Gamers suck.

Let’s hope the word of mouth is great but tbh if the demo didnt do it, i don’t think anything will.

Unknown?

Lol so it sold more or less the same as Xbox One's version of FFXV on first week, ofc just physical copies wise, on digital it will do much better but yea it was hard not to see it underperforming compared to FFXV or even FFVII remake since months ago.

Honestly that sounds like good news to me, wonder what their plans with FFXVII will be, also wonder if Persona 6 will end up being the new king of JRPG's sales wise (not counting Pokemon ofc) if it's multiplatform and it has a good marketing campaign, it seems word of mouth is helping this saga muuuch more than FF this last years
FFXV helped ruin the series reputation. It wouldn't be any wonder if it couldn't outsell it even on one platform. If it was genre defining like FF of old it wouldn't matter.

That said I bet it will outsell FFXV in the end even not counting the PC port.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The install-base forum where they do nothing but gather numbers lol, I cannot vouch for their credibility 100% though.
Yeah I figured that out by the font; I was wondering if you knew the person who shared this. Because I know a couple of folks there who are considerably reliable with data (and also a couple who just bullshits). All good, though. Thanks for sharing!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Really disappointing sales. The game is phenomenal and deserves better. Gamers suck.

Let’s hope the word of mouth is great but tbh if the demo didnt do it, i don’t think anything will.
How are these numbers disappointing when it's outselling even multiplatform titles that performed well? The only exclusive on this list is Zelda, but that's Zelda ... and it also launched for a 120 million userbase.

SlimySnake

How are these numbers disappointing when it's outselling even multiplatform titles that performed well? The only exclusive on this list is Zelda, but that's Zelda ... and it also launched for a 120 million userbase.
It is half of FF7. Which itself was half of FF15.

Even if you double the sales by counting digital, it will still be half of FF15. RE4 ended up doing 2.5 million. Not great, but ok for a quick and dirty remake by a B team. This game has been in dev for years and is a mainline entry performing 33% worse than a remake.

Franchises are supposed to do better with each entry. This aint it. I mean beating Dead Island 2 isnt an accomplishment.

FzfT5DoWAAAvbhQ

DaGwaphics

I don't get the Diablo 4 comparison, as that is primarily a PC franchise where there are no boxed sales at all. D4 was a very successful launch but we don't know if their boxed launch was impressive or not (depends on the digital vs. boxed split on the title). DI2 is also a strange comparison because the franchise doesn't have the historical market presence of FF. A comparison against Hogwarts or Zelda would have been more interesting since those are also established brands on console.

But, regardless, congratz to Square they needed some luck with the way things have been trending there. They hit the jackpot getting Sony to make a bundle with them, they should be set on this one even if the bundle is limited to only 3 or 4m units but that could realistically reach 9 or 10m depending on how long this remains the primary bundle and if PS5 sales maintain the current pace.

Go_Ly_Dow

Even if you double the sales by counting digital, it will still be half of FF15. RE4 ended up doing 2.5 million. Not great, but ok for a quick and dirty remake by a B team. This game has been in dev for years and is a mainline entry performing 33% worse than a remake.

Franchises are supposed to do better with each entry. This aint it. I mean beating Dead Island 2 isnt an accomplishment.

FzfT5DoWAAAvbhQ
Again, FFXV released on Tues, FFXVI Thurs, so 6 days of sales vs 4 days, assuming they count the weekend. If not and weekday only then 4 days vs 2 days.

Then much higher digital attachment now.

2 platforms vs 1

No moneyhat vs Sony money hat.

Conclusion, we can't say yet how much its really sold compared to VIIR and XV yet. So we await more time and more data. The Sony moneyhat also probably absorbed a decent amount of the dev cost and I'd also wager this will have better word of mouth compared to XV and therefore better legs over time.

Last edited:

Woopah

UK hasn't been the best market for JRPGs. It'll do better elsewhere.
The install-base forum where they do nothing but gather numbers lol, I cannot vouch for their credibility 100% though.
Yeah I figured that out by the font; I was wondering if you knew the person who shared this. Because I know a couple of folks there who are considerably reliable with data (and also a couple who just bullshits). All good, though. Thanks for sharing!
It's calculated from the stats given by Dring.

In this case we know FFXVI's first week was 74% lower than FFXV's, so we can do the math.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

FzfT5DoWAAAvbhQ
You also need to take into account the exclusivity (only 1 platform), the userbase (PS5 has ~2.5 million consoles sold in the UK), and the digital ratio in 2023, which is significantly higher than it was in 2016.

That's why comparison with other games on this list paint a clearer picture. Almost beating RE4 Remake, which is a 90+ remake of a beloved game, releasing on 5 consoles, is an impressive feat.

SlimySnake

You also need to take into account the exclusivity (only 1 platform), the userbase (PS5 has ~2.5 million consoles sold in the UK), and the digital ratio in 2023, which is significantly higher than it was in 2016.

That's why comparison with other games on this list paint a clearer picture. Almost beating RE4 Remake, which is a 90+ remake of a beloved game, releasing on 5 consoles, is an impressive feat.
Exclusivity didnt impact GOW which outsold MW2, Elden Ring and other multiplats last year. Only 18% of its sales were on PS4 back in November when the PS5 still had shortages. Its sold a lot more now.

These sales are underwhelming no matter how you look at them.

ProtoByte

The digital ratio for single player games isn't much higher than 2016 at all - certainly not to the point of eliminating the sales discrepancy between FFXV on PS4 and XVI on PS5.

Again, long term this should have stronger legs than XV. Whether or not it does, Square really needs to ask themselves why they thought a character action game was going to blow the sales charts away.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Exclusivity didnt impact GOW which outsold MW2, Elden Ring and other multiplats last year. Only 18% of its sales were on PS4 back in November when the PS5 still had shortages. Its sold a lot more now.

These sales are underwhelming no matter how you look at them.
Because FF16 is no God of War Ragnarok.

God of War Ragnarok came on the back of the excellent God of War (2018), culminating the saga. FF16 is a stand-alone title, coming on the back of a lackluster FFXV.

The comparison doesn't make any sense.

Fabieter

Because FF16 is no God of War Ragnarok.

God of War Ragnarok came on the back of the excellent God of War (2018), culminating the saga. FF16 is a stand-alone title, coming on the back of a lackluster FFXV.

The comparison doesn't make any sense.

Its also about metacritic. Its not much but gow 2018 and gowr wouldn't have sold as much if it would have scored in the 80s.

Vognerful

Again, FFXV released on Tues, FFXVI Thurs, so 6 days of sales vs 4 days, assuming they count the weekend. If not and weekday only then 4 days vs 2 days.

Then much higher digital attachment now.

2 platforms vs 1

No moneyhat vs Sony money hat.

Conclusion, we can't say yet how much its really sold compared to VIIR and XV yet. So we await more time and more data. The Sony moneyhat also probably absorbed a decent amount of the dev cost and I'd also wager this will have better word of mouth compared to XV and therefore better legs over time.
So are you saying xbox would account for half of their sales?!

Are You Sure GIF by Monty Python

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If it’s that long it will hurt pc sales. Should have launched day one.

So you want Square to invent robots to make the game on PC at the same time as the PS5? Because I'm not sure how you figure they could physically do that and release it this summer.

ergem

Final Fantasy 16 is one of the best in the series, so good word of mouth for this game will help the sales momentum. I have no doubts that it will exceed Square-Enix's sales expectations.
I’m 16 hours into the game and I feel the same kind of story beats from FF9. It probably has to do with the gateways to castles and my empathy to bearers that I felt for black mages. FF9 is my all time fave game. This feels like it will be my second all time fave game. But I’ll finish it first to say for sure.

MarkMe2525

This game looks so good. That PS5 exclusivity bums me out, as I won't get to play for awhile due to me waiting for the PS5 redesign.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How accurate is this tool?

Why does the comparision to FF7R and FF15 matter this much? We know 7 Remake was one of the most hyped remakes in video game's history. And FF15 one the first mainline FF since 13 and had a billion years of hype.

People loved 7 Remake and kinda hated FF15. Everyone in media knows that the next product that comes out after a dud tends to sell less at first. Regardless of the quality.

Vognerful

Where did I say that? I just made the point the game is available to a lower install base given its releasing on a single platform, whilst XV released on a higher base.
the only other platform XV release on was xbox one. the PC version game like a year after.

So other than digital attachment, your other points paint a picture that the game would be way more successful if it released on xbox on the same day.

Vognerful

Why does the comparision to FF7R and FF15 matter this much? We know 7 Remake was one of the most hyped remakes in video game's history. And FF15 one the first mainline FF since 13 and had a billion years of hype.

People loved 7 Remake and kinda hated FF15. Everyone in media knows that the next product that comes out after a dud tends to sell less at first. Regardless of the quality.
First of all, I am not the one who brought up that comparison.

but following with your logic, did it sell more than FF7R? (i have no idea what the numbers are for that game)

ProtoByte

Where did I say that? I just made the point the game is available to a lower install base given its releasing on a single platform, whilst XV released on a higher base.
XV's sales were disproportionately higher even accounting for exclusivity and difference in install base of PS4 compared to PS5.

You say 80s, as if an 89 is the same thing as an 81.
Metacritic is finicky as it is, nailing down how people perceive it is worse. But I'd guess that the difference between a flat 80 and an 86 is a lot larger than the difference between an 85 and an 89.

Top Bottom