• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 UK physical sales beat Diablo 4's and Dead Island 2's

leo-j

Final Fantasy will end up selling more than Starfield.
It actually could because of gamepass, but considering how big Skyrim and fallout are, it could still sell 10 million despite being on gamepass….. idk if FF XVI will sell beyond what XV did, hopefully it does but it depends on marketing post launch

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anecdotal but I know two people who want to play it but don’t have a PS5. I imagine PC sales will be healthy too since yoshi-p won’t skimp on port quality (I assume it will be 12-18 months down the road)

sendit

It already did in physical sales which is kind of impressive to be honest, or perhaps bad for Diablo 4.

I would imagine Diablo got a lot of digital sales on the 5th platform (PC) though so you'd be right that it probably has no chance overall.

Its 2023, winning in physical sales is like winning in the the special olympics.

Last edited:

sendit

Final Fantasy is a way more casual game in general which could easily sell more then Starfield which will be on Gamepass day one.
This is a tough call. Microsoft effectively handicapped Starfields customer base in half by making it console exclusive to Xbox. To put this in perspective, Skyrim (an established franchise) sold over 60 million copies as a multi-platform release spanning multiple generations.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here for people who actively wanted for FFXVI to fail....
giphy.gif
2zoktxy.gif
violin-tiny.gif

Well fucking deserved, this game could very well be my personal GOTY......but we still have Armoured Core VI coming out.

Last edited:

SomeGit

I might be wrong, but that headline doesn't seem all that great. Diablo 4's most hardcore market is PC so most sales were digital on Battle.net and Dead Island 2 didn't really set the world on fire.

I assume that the good word of mouth will keep sales high, but unless digital sales are much much better seems like a weak launch.

BlueLyria

Btw, FFXV and FF7R aren't good ways to compare to 16, because one was shown and hyped for like, almost 10 years, please remember versus XII and the other is a remake of the most popular title in the franchise

Metnut

We’ll have to wait for the numbers but looks like it’s going to be a bit short of FF15.

Doesn’t say anything regarding the quality of FF16, IMO it’s a product of FF13 and FF15 being duds and the game only releasing for one platform (and early in this gen when there’s been a hardware shortage).

The positive general reception to FF16 should rebuild the FF brand even if this game only sells good and not great.

Last edited:

Fabieter

That you need the digital results of Diablo 4 and those of FFXVI to draw conclusions but, apparently, that doesn't matter to open threads like this...

Both will have high digital split in the UK. Every game has but including pc there is no way beating diablo but that also not necessary.

fallingdove

Deserved. FFXVI is pretty incredible. Best modern FF story, dialogue and voice acting. Super deep/rewarding combat.

Top 5 final fantasies without breaking a sweat.

Fabieter

In addition I strongly believe that if sqaure said it was a fully playstation exclusive forever it would be alot higher. It wasn't safe that xv would get a pc version at the time and especially not that fast.

Zathalus

In addition I strongly believe that if sqaure said it was a fully playstation exclusive forever it would be alot higher. It wasn't safe that xv would get a pc version at the time and especially not that fast.
If the game had released on PC at launch it would have been far higher as well, assuming a decent PC version that is. There is a rather large FF fanbase on PC considering FF14.

Go_Ly_Dow

The further you get into FFXVI the more incredible it becomes. I must be about 1/4 of the way in and its the most ambitious game of the gen for me already.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

As discussed before, the positive critical reception and word of mouth will give this game disproportionately stronger legs than XV. But also as said before, and now entirely vindicated, the reasons why pre-orders and hype were low before was because of how games of this nature look.

That PS2-PS3 era combat/design and plain fantasy look do not hype up or impress these days solely by appearance. For all of their deep, deep flaws, Fabula Nova Crystallis FF games had an inherent mystique that caught and kept people's attention.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I mean after the let down of FFXV, to still have currently the 5th biggest launch of the year in the UK seems pretty solid?

the only games it trails are two of the biggest IP on the planet (Star Wars + Harry Potter), the remake of one of the best games ever (RE4) and the highly anticipated sequel to what is widely considered one of the best games of all-time (Zelda)

Go_Ly_Dow

I blame the combat system. Time to go back to turn based combat ASAP.
Your argument doesn't make sense, XV had action combat and awful action combat at that. XVI combat is far more engaging and polished.

I have a friend who was a diehard turnbased fan that is loving XVI.

Top Bottom