• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest no longer Sony exclusive?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I can't believe this has not been posted yet, did I miss that topic or is something wrong with GAF today?
Anyway, according to Gamekult, Yôichi Wada said to Mainichi Interactive that there was a possibilty that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games would be developed for more than one next gen systems.
The reason would be to have the biggest market as possible, and thus to recoup the costs much easier than now.

Any japanese reader care to confirm?

Borys

Banned
me said:
Mindshare is king.

MS to consumers: "Look! A Playstation game on our console. You don't need a PS3 now, do you?"

Sony to consumers: "..."

MS : Sony
1 : 0

R.I.P. PS3

GTA4 exclusive or bust.

StephaneC

it were probably only mmorpg on PS3/Xbox 360/PC, big title only on PS3 (FFXIII, DQ 9) and some other game PS3/Revo

Mrbob

StephaneC said:
it were probably only mmorpg on PS3/Xbox 360/PC, big title only on PS3 (FFXIII, DQ 9) and some other game PS3/Revo

Perhaps. The big titles like FFXIII and DQ9 may have an exclusitivity window on the PLAYSTATION 3 format.

ronito

Hardly surprising, heck, it's even expected. Fact is with the fiasco of FFXII, SquarEnix has learned how expensive a game can be. It's a win/win for them, either:
A. They go multi platform and penetrate new markets.
or
B. Sony freaks and gives them a lucrative deal on distribution (IE No or Low console royalties )

Very smart move.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
CC was the first dip away from the main pool, so to speak, and I could see more regular dabbling in new territory. I'd be surprised if Playstation remained anything but Square's primary platform, though.

StephaneC said:

Mind giving some good reasons as to why they would even have this exclusivity window? Unless Sony can cough up enough dough to cover the potential loss in sales (not to mention the loss of mindshare involved in establishing the brand on a new console), there is really no sense in keeping FF games exclusive to PlayStation. Xbox 360 is not Xbox.

Final Fantasy XI = Xbox 360
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2 Online = Revolution
Final Fantasy XIII = PlayStation 3

Therefore, Final Fantasy is already a completely multiplatform series before the next-generation has even began.

Jonnyram

Wada says that next-gen will be "High end, low tend", so they need to consider releasing the flagship titles (DQ and FF) on more than one platform, in order to reach the full amount of consumers.

robo_robo

Mr_Furious said:
I don't know about DQ but FF is far from a Sony exclusive already.

Exactly, which imply that he is talking about the main series (Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy XIII)

StephaneC

AltogetherAndrews said:
Mind giving some good reasons as to why they would even have this exclusivity window? Unless Sony can cough up enough dough to cover the potential loss in sales (not to mention the loss of mindshare involved in establishing the brand on a new console), there is really no sense in keeping FF games exclusive to PlayStation. Xbox 360 is not Xbox.
yes but japanese are japanese and square enix is square enix .... japanese = playstation = square enix

Borys

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Sony is losing exclusives left and right. Looks like they will have to rely more on their first party support next gen.

The interesting part is that right now only Sony is losing exclusives. Ridge Racer, Final Fantasy - you name it. Grim news for Sony fans, grim news.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
Wada says that next-gen will be "High end, low tend", so they need to consider releasing the flagship titles (DQ and FF) on more than one platform, in order to reach the full amount of consumers.

Considering Xbox 360 and PS3 are pushing high end hardware and mesh with what Square likes to push (Pretty graphics), I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox 360 release of FF13 close to the PLAYSTATION 3 release. If the Xbox 360 version of FF13 needs to be multiple DVDs since it doesn't have Blu Ray like PLAYSTATION 3 this isn't a big deal.

StephaneC said:
yes but japanese are japanese and square enix is square enix .... japanese = playstation = square enix

That would be a valid argument if FF was only popular in Japan. But it's not, is it? There will be no sense in keeping the FF series exclusive to the PlayStation brand next generation.

Solid

Borys said:
The interesting part is that right now only Sony is losing exclusives. Ridge Racer, Final Fantasy - you name it. Grim news for Sony fans, grim news.
why? we still get to play them. these news would be bad if we werent.

IJoel

StephaneC said:

And japanese companies are realizing they need to release products for the entire world to support the rising development costs, compensate for the japanese market changes, and take advantage of the growing global market.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Borys said:

When you're holding most of the third party cards, any movement is likely to be not in your favour..

On the flipside, if rumours are to be believed, Sony is gaining elsewhere too. Seems the game of "chess" with movement in all directions, as hinted at by some pre-E3, is coming to fruition.

RuGalz

Jonnyram said:
Meh, it better not happen for "high end" because it doesn't matter how you do it, you have to sacrifice some quality in order to do multiplatform development.

Borys said:

indeed! The funny thing is that it's mostly Japanese games, developers who didn't care about Xbox suddenly want to put their top franchises like Ridge Racer and Final Fantasy on X360. But I guess they want to make money lol

Mrbob

Sony is gaining more Western support with PS3, Xbox 360 is gaining more Eastern support.

Western support is still pretty good with PS2, though. Now publishers in Japan realize it was a bad idea to ignore that 13 million Xbox userbase in North America. Regardless of how the system did in Japan.

Mrbob said:
Sony is gaining more Western support with PS3, Xbox 360 is gaining more Japan support.

I haven't seen anything that confirms that Sony is gaining anywhere near the same amount of support (speaking relatively, of course) from the West as MS is gaining from the East. Though I suppose any eastern support for MS is a big step forward. What's happening is that the playing field is becoming slightly more even, which is a good thing for all of us.

StephaneC

IJoel said:
And japanese companies are realizing they need to release products for the entire world to support the rising development costs, compensate for the japanese market changes, and take advantage of the growing global market.
sure but microsot = usa ... so mmorpg on Xbox 360 yes but about other FF and DQ games i'm not sure. FFXIII and DQ 9 will be on PS3 only .... for next maybe Revo too.

StephaneC said:
sure but microsot = usa ... so mmorpg on Xbox 360 yes but about other FF and DQ games i'm not sure. FFXIII and DQ 9 will be on PS3 only .... for next maybe Revo too.

Are you a bot or something? I mean, you just said the same thing as before, without even considering the counter-arguments that have been brought up. SE sees a new market in the X360, and they want a piece of that market. Xbox 360 is not Xbox, get it?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AltogetherAndrews said:
I haven't seen anything that confirms that Sony is gaining anywhere near the same amount of support (speaking relatively, of course) from the West as MS is gaining from the East.

In fairness, though, Sony doesn't have to gain as much. Sony's western support has obviously always been very strong. For them it's really a game of targetting a smaller number of devs (perhaps more PC-centric), who may perhaps have seen a more "natural" console home in Xbox.

Of course, much is in the realm of rumour right now, but since E3 you can definitely see a more focussed pursuit on western content than, say, existed at a similar point in time for PS2.

StephaneC

AltogetherAndrews said:
Are you a bot or something? I mean, you just said the same thing as before, without even considering the counter-arguments that have been brought up. SE sees a new market in the X360, and they want a piece of that market. Xbox 360 is not Xbox, get it?
new market on xbox 360 ? excepted mmorpg i don't think so .... Playstation is first on USA, first in Europe, first in Japon. New gamer ok but new market no.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Looks like Squenix has learned a lesson or two from Rockstar. Push the MS angle to get a better deal from Sony (in Rockstar's case, free rights to Sony music), then get MS support by releasing the game later on down the line for them. Plus, you get multiple chances to sell the game at the MSRP release price, which helps boost profit even more. I think we're going to see this happening a lot more frequently next gen, on both sides of the fence.

StephaneC said:
new market on xbox 360 ? excepted mmorpg i don't think so .... Playstation is first on USA, first in Europe, first in Japon. New gamer ok but new market no.

What? X360 will provide SE with a new market for their games, and SE would be foolish not to tap in to that market. Again, Xbox 360 is not Xbox, and the balance between X360 and PS3 is not going to be identical to the balance between Xbox and PS2. Anyone who believes that it will be a straight repeat of the current generation is a fool.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I predicted this before and a lot of you jumped all over my ass.

This gen was very cut & dry. PS2 was ahead everywhere by millions. Next gen, though, 360 will have a lead by default from launching first. Sony won't even be able to make enough PS3s to surpass it (which means catch up with that lead and outpace what 360 has been selling along the way since PS3 launch) for probably around a year. Even if Sony does find some mystical way to conjure forth an insane production pace of consoles, 360 will be the installed base market leader for 2 whole holiday seasons, and will get a huge amount of consideration in that time period. That's not momentum that's just going to go away, anyone that thinks MS is the kind of company that won't be able to run with a lead is hugely underestimating them. They may well drop back a bit over time, but I'd be suprised to see them drop back signifigantly. It will be a hard-won race, and honestly I don't know if Sony has that in them, as all their prior opponents have been total lightweights in comparison.

The 360 and PS3 will be running too close in market share in the US for developers to justify not releasing on both systems, if only in our market. Pretty much any game that's not a locked-down, signed-in-blood exclusive will probably be put on both systems, otherwise they're missing out on selling close to twice as many units as they could here.

Sony will probably ink some of said deals, but they can't afford to keep everything they've got now.

StephaneC said:
I :lol @U

New market doesn't = market share. It simply means another opportunity to sell your product to an additional group of potential consumers who didn't have access to said product previously, thereby increasing both mindshare and profit.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
As much as I want nintendo to return to its glory days and sony to fail miserably, I"ll still pick up a ps3. I would love to see all the major 3rd party games to start dropping like flies on the ps3. So

SantaC

both Final Fantasy Dragon Quest are already multiplatform, but not the main series. And I believe PS3 will keep the mainseries of FF and DQ exclusivley this generation too.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Shig said:
I predicted this before and a lot of you jumped all over my ass.

This gen was very cut & dry. PS2 was ahead everywhere by millions. Next gen, though, 360 will have a lead by default from launching first. Sony won't even be able to make enough PS3s to surpass it (which means catch up with that lead and outpace what 360 has been selling along the way since PS3 launch) for probably around a year. Even if Sony does find some mystical way to conjure forth an insane production pace of consoles, 360 will be the installed base market leader for 2 whole holiday seasons, and will get a huge amount of consideration in that time period. That's not momentum that's just going to go away, anyone that thinks MS is the kind of company that won't be able to run with a lead is hugely underestimating them. They may well drop back a bit over time, but I'd be suprised to see them drop back signifigantly. It will be a hard-won race, and honestly I don't know if Sony has that in them, as all their prior opponents have been total lightweights in comparison.

The 360 and PS3 will be running too close in market share in the US for developers to justify not releasing on both systems, if only in our market. Pretty much any game that's not a locked-down, signed-in-blood exclusive will probably be put on both systems, otherwise they're missing out on selling close to twice as many units as they could here.

Sony will probably ink some of said deals, but they can't afford to keep everything they've got now.

Couple that with MS's deep pockets, which are deeper than Sony's, and you have some interesting things happening.

Vieo

StephaneC said:
ok guys xbox 360 xbox 360 xbox 360, and if it was Nintendo Revolution ?

scan12tx.jpg

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

ram

we all remember the final fantasy vii tech demo on ps3 at e3 and we all remember.... the final fantasy xi port on microsoft xbox360. enough said.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ram said:
we all remember the final fantasy vii tech demo on ps3 at e3 and we all remember.... the final fantasy xi port on microsoft xbox360. enough said.

I really don't like the fact that they call those "tech demos".

If they are tech demos, they should be running on finalized hardware in realtime.

ram

Dr_Cogent said:

If they are tech demos, they should be running on finalized hardware in realtime.

ok - maybe it was no real tech demo - whatever - but it was a statement: the next single player (real) final fantasy is only on playstation 3.

Flo_Evans

if all the big 3rd party games are going to be platform agnostic next gen (which I don't really beleive-maybe at the start, but once a market leader emerges the majority of development will shift) its all going to come down to 1st party stuff.

Gran Turismo for the win! (or Halo/Zelda pick your posion!)

teiresias

Dr_Cogent said:

In that case none of the "games" MS showed at E3 were even tech demos. The FF7 demowas running in real-time, though it obviously wasn't on finalized hardware.

Top Bottom