• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest no longer Sony exclusive?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ram said:
ok - maybe it was no real tech demo - whatever - but it was a statement: the next single player (real) final fantasy is only on playstation 3.
Yeah. Incidentally, I loved the N64 FFs.

Borys

Banned
ram said:
ok - maybe it was no real tech demo - whatever - but it was a statement: the next single player (real) final fantasy is only on playstation 3.

No it wasn't. It's all ASSumptions. It seems like next to writing MS as "M$" we should also write Sony as "-$ony".

madara

Yes but does this mean multiplatform FF13s and DQ9 or Final Fantasy: Pop The Muggles and Dragon Quest Caravan handouts. To me this is a big difference.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
teiresias said:
In that case none of the "games" MS showed at E3 were even tech demos. The FF7 demowas running in real-time, though it obviously wasn't on finalized hardware.

Running in real time? Does someone have proof of this? I could swear people were saying it was a movie back during E3.

I am very skeptical that it was running in real time at all, ever, anywhere.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Sony won't let the main FF series slip out of thier hands and Square enix dont really need to do it either. They know that their games will sell well with Sony, so why try and take a risk with their most poular franchise? Square Enix are already developing games for other consoles. FFXI is coming to Xbox and GC will probably get something, most likely FF: CC2.

does anyone have any idea when we will get to see the next gen Final Fantasy? Square Enix can't show it right now cause that will hurt FFXII and FFXII will be at E3 2006;thanks to long translation period. TGS2006 perhaps? Summer 2007 launch?

psycho_snake said:
Sony won't let the main FF series slip out of thier hands and Square enix dont really need to do it either. They know that their games will sell well with Sony, so why try and take a risk with their most poular franchise? Square Enix are already developing games for other consoles. FFXI is coming to Xbox and GC will probably get something, most likely FF: CC2.

What bloody "risk"? All this is about is taking advantage of a new market. SE has a lot to gain by establishing the FF brand on the X360 in addition to the already existing PS market, and Sony would have to cough up a lot of dough to cover that. I fail to see the "risk".

Flo_Evans

well square took a risk and put FF7 on the playstation.

reason? storage for their FMV. Next gen sony looks to have the most storage.

which brings up a intresting question. Will FF13's FMV be rendered in HD? I would think it would drive the cost of the FMV through the roof... but sweet jesus can you imagine?

Dr_Cogent said:
OK, so if that's the case, final hardware must exist right?

Right?

Where is it?

eh? The final PS3 dev kits will be released in December, the current ones aren't as pathetic as the X360 Alpha's. They have already dished out some awesome looking demos like Lair!

Flo_Evans said:
well square took a risk and put FF7 on the playstation.

reason? storage for their FMV. Next gen sony looks to have the most storage.

which brings up a intresting question. Will FF13's FMV be rendered in HD? I would think it would drive the cost of the FMV through the roof... but sweet jesus can you imagine?

The only reason SE needs is an opportunity to broaden their customer base. Making the [main] FF series multi-platform makes so much sense that it's down right ridiculous that some would argue against it.

Dr_Cogent said:
Running in real time? Does someone have proof of this? I could swear people were saying it was a movie back during E3.

I am very skeptical that it was running in real time at all, ever, anywhere.

"As a hint, one thing I can say is that the FFVII technical PS3 demo was supervised by me, and created by Toriyama and his team staff. I'll leave it to you, but you can imagine that development [of the PS3 FF] is happening via a similar process.

Kitase also revealed the Final Fantasy VII technical PS3 demo was actually a rush job, created in just a month and a half. “We created right before E3. I didn’t think we could do it at first, but I called Sugimoto (Koji Sugimoto, FFX’s main programmer), and we somehow made it. I believe that if we had more time, we could have made it in a higher quality. In that sense, that demo didn’t really take much advantage of the PS3’s hardware specs. But still, we were able to make something that looked that good.”

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=50973&highlight=kitase

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
eh? The final PS3 dev kits will be released in December, the current ones aren't as pathetic as the X360 Alpha's. They have already dished out some awesome looking demos like Lair!

Really? I must say, Lair was pretty friggin sweet.

I hope it all pans out and things really do look that detailed in the end.

Elios83

Final Fantasy is already multiplatform.
FF Crystal Chronicles has been already confirmed on Revolution and FFXI will be also on Xbox360.
As for the main series there's no way it will be on non Sony platforms.
Sony and Square Enix have a strong relationship with Sony owning also 8% of the company.

@elios
Sony and Square Enix have a strong relationship with Sony owning also 8% of the company.

Do you really think these 8% are that important? Just look at the DS and PSP support of SQ(Slime Mori Mori, DQ series, FF III, FF: CC, World of Mana and Co. vs. ... a UMD and a FF spinoff(which would be great, if it would be released a bit ealrlier...) and realize that these 8% don't matter.

DQ is also multiplatform, at least it is PS2 & NDS (remember Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest...)
FF is a bitch, FFXII (PS2), FFCC (Rev,DS), FFXI (PC,X360), FF3 (DS), FF7CC (PSP).....

If someone thinks just by this news that FF13 and DQ9 are going to be released in X360 and/or Revo, someone is being very optimistic...

EDIT: beaten x.x

Redbeard

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If someone thinks just by this news that FF13 and DQ9 are going to be released in X360 and/or Revo, someone is being very optimistic...

Did you actually read the news? This is exactly what is implied.

Elios83

Frankfurter said:
@elios

Do you really think these 8% are that important? Just look at the DS and PSP support of SQ(Slime Mori Mori, DQ series, FF III, FF: CC, World of Mana and Co. vs. ... a UMD and a FF spinoff(which would be great, if it would be released a bit ealrlier...) and realize that these 8% don't matter.

Of course it's important.
As a main shareholder if Sony asks a 'favour',they can't refuse easily.And keeping the main FF&DQ series on PS platform is clearly something Sony has asked for.
As for DS vs PSP it's really too early to tell what of kind of support the two will get.

It is too early to tell!? :lol

It is quite clear that DS will get the major support and PSP a few games. It is not as extreme as PS2 vs. GC, but SQ obviously has it's handheld favorite for the future: the DS!

Razoric

Banned
Frankfurter said:

It is quite clear that DS will get the major support and PSP a few games. It is not as extreme as PS2 vs. GC, but SQ obviously has it's handheld favorite for the future: the DS!

Uh no.

You do realize it's a lot easier to make a simple 2-D game than a full-fledged PS2 style game right? Lets give the PSP, at least, until after this years TGS before making any wild assumptions such as this.

Redbeard said:
Did you actually read the news? This is exactly what is implied.

Wada mentioned FF & DQ COULD be multiplatform, he doesnt confirm anything, just by this you can't confirm FF13 & DQ9 will be multiplatform. If you think so, you are too optimistic.

Anyway, I won't trust such a megaton coming from a MSN-promotioned online japanese newspaper...

EDIT: beaten again, round 3?

Frankfurter said:

come on! most of those games are vapourware! I mean when was the last time you saw FFIII FFCC, World of Mana etc?

Elios83 said:
Of course it's important.
As a main shareholder if Sony asks a 'favour',they can't refuse easily.And keeping the main FF&DQ series on PS platform is clearly something Sony has asked for.
As for DS vs PSP it's really too early to tell what of kind of support the two will get.

8% is not enough to give a controlling interest in the company, nor does it really make Sony a "main" shareholder. The series has stayed on the PS because that has been the only valid platform so far. Next gen is going to be different, and it's due time people started realizing this.

Elios83

Frankfurter said:

Yes FF3 port will save us all :lol :lol
Just Final Fantasy Crisis Core will probably cost more to develop than all the announced DS games put together.
And again....we're talking about platforms with 9 months of life.

teiresias

Dr_Cogent said:
Dev kits aren't final from what I understand.

And hence my comment about how, by your definition, all the software shown running at E3 for the X360 shouldn't even be considered at a tech demo level - much less a game.

@Razoric
You do realize it's a lot easier to make a simple 2-D game than a full-fledged PS2 style game right?

..., it isn't important how much a game costs(a FF, DQ or whatever game won't just sell more on PSP cause its full fledged PS2 style game compared to the 2-D games on DS). You have one game and one UMD announced for PSP but on DS you have one game released and perhaps half a dozen announced - it's just a significant difference.

Lets give the PSP, at least, until after this years TGS before making any wild assumptions such as this.

Of course it is possible that suddenly SQ announced half a dozen games for PSP, but let's keep a bit of realism...

@Doom_Bringer
come on! most of those games are vapourware! I mean when was the last time you saw FFIII FFCC, World of Mana etc?

If FF III and Co. are vaporware than the only SQ game announced for PSP is also(I am not sure, perhaps I have seen a screen or something like that). One game was already released, another will on August 18th in Japan(Slime Mori Mori).

@Elios
Yes FF3 port will save us all

Anybody said that? No? ...

Just Final Fantasy Crisis Core will probably cost more to develop than all the announced DS games put together.

You really have NO idea of the development costs, so it's perhaps a bit too optimistic to say something like that :)

And again....we're talking about platforms with 9 months of life.

Does this change anything? One of these plattforms has one UMD and one game announced, the other has over half a dozen.

Elios83

AltogetherAndrews said:
8% is not enough to give a controlling interest in the company, nor does it really make Sony a "main" shareholder. The series has stayed on the PS because that has been the only valid platform so far. Next gen is going to be different, and it's due time people started realizing this.

Sony is the third shareholder of the company.
And while 8% certainly isn't enough to force the remaining 92% to do what they want,it's enough to have influence on the company decisions and to be priviledged to the other console makers.
And if a shareholder that puts a lot of money to keep the company going on ask a favour,the rest of the board can't refuse easily when they have no reason to since FF&DQ marriage with Playstation has been rock solid for ten years and has brought a lot of success to both the companies.

Elios83 said:
And while 8% certainly isn't enough to force the remaining 92% to do what they want,it's enough to have influence on the company decisions and to be priviledged to the other console makers.

No.

Elios83 said:
And if a shareholder that puts a lot of money to keep the company going on ask a favour,the rest of the board can't refuse easily when they have no reason to since FF&DQ marriage with Playstation has been rock solid for ten years and has brought a lot of success to both the companies.

No amount of influence short of a majority of voting shares is going to persuade SE to ignore profit and greater marketshare for the FF brand. Seriously, if you believe that then you're pretty damned naive.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I had someone translate the article/quote. Here's a little clarification...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142539

Wada isn't specific in his statements, but his intentions seem obvious. "The next-gen consoles have sets of users, and as a result the high-end users will want a gaming experience different from that of low-end users," he says. "Our intention is not to focus on one platform, but to distribute the share of our games among the consoles."

Why is this discussion even going on? It's FUCKING EIGHT PERCENT. Christ, i'd understand if it was majority or anywhere near majority. Favors? WTF is this? The mafia?

Tamanon

Banned
No it's the corporate world:p

Yeah FF and DQ are already multi-platform. GBA games, DS games, X360. I mean those spinoffs are already there, I don't see any reason that Square would make the same game for another platform though(IE FF13), I can't even think of one single game that Square has made for more than one console. Enix had the Grandia ports, that's about it. I think they just want to focus the main labor on the flagship titles on one platform and then whore out to the other ones:)

Drek

Yawn. Of course they'll talk about going multiplatform. Hell, I'm sure they're quite heavily looking into it simply because they saw the fat money handouts other companies got by doing the same. What it'll ultimately come down to however is that by the time FF13 or DQ9 is ready for release the PS3 will more than likely already be established as the dominant console in Japan, probably Europe, and will be making strong inroads towards that goal in the U.S.. Thats all because the Playstation brand has the global mindshare in the industry, and the PS3 will do nothing to loose that thanks to superior overall hardware than its competitors.

What I'm expecting is one year exclusivities given to SE by Sony to help pad their development costs, followed by cashing in on the ports if it looks lucrative enough. I do however expect some other SE properties to be simultaneous multiplatform releases, primarily the less lengthy games. Kingdom Hearts 3 for example would be an ideal choice for release on all three systems (if the Rev. can handle it) since all will have their own demographic niches in KH's primary market, North America. Any future action games like Drakenguard, as sad is it is for those now getting those games, will likely be multi as well since its relatively easy to move them over and take what extra money could be gained while the new release hype is still out there.

But then, Microsoft is doing a much better job at giving devs an idea as to what they'll be working in for an online set-up, so it wouldn't surprise me if future online Final Fantasies or Dragon Quests will have exclusive rights bought by Microsoft. Would make sense really, Sony is preaching offline, single player game experiences being taken to another level by improved graphics, MS on the other hand is pushing largely for bringing console gamers fully into a world of online gaming. Each system will probably be the place to go for their respective styles of games, and 3rd parties would only be smart to take advantage of what each 1st party is looking for in its software lineup (i.e. what they're most willing to pay for).

Basically, MS probably isn't willing to break the bank to just buy themselves a multiplatform release of Final Fantasy 13 or Dragon Quest 9, but the next Final Fantasy Online as an X360 exclusive, well, that'd certainly leave them salivating at the possibilities.

KingJ2002

if this means that seeing their main titles like a Final Fantasy XIII or a Dragon Quest 9 on all consoles then I gues sony will have to strengthen their first party RPG brands.

and it's not like they produce bad games either... this gen sony has made alot of critically acclaimed titles and if they can made the dark cloud brand as strong as a square enix rpg like final fantasy... they sony shouldnt sweat these third party losses too much.

but... like ridge racer... this is a big blow to sony's die hard fans.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Drek said:
Sony is preaching offline, single player game experiences being taken to another level by improved graphics, MS on the other hand is pushing largely for bringing console gamers fully into a world of online gaming.

It's certainly not one or the other in either case. MS evangelises online to a large degree, but Sony certainly does not push single-player only experiences. They're targetting the massmarket, whatever they think that is. Does that include online? They say yes, although they've yet to outline their strategy.

As for online SquareEnix games, they've been clearly harping for a cross-platform online utopia where everyone plays with everyone, really since the beginning. I'm sure their online games will be on all the platforms, Revolution included (they've had kind words for Nintendo's online vision).

As for the rest, we'll have to wait and see. Unless they're willing to make some rather large leaps of faith, however, I can't see them deviating too strongly from their currently favoured platform, at least not such that much else would be exclusive to another platform. Regardless of the territory they want to target (hey, that "favoured platform" ain't been doing too badly in the West you know ;)).

Wunderchu

a related rumor:
ecosvaldo said:
After reading the post on these boards about the Final Fantasy series not being exclusive anymore, I received a call from one of my friends who work at Gamestop. He told me that a Microsoft rep (who came in this morning) asked him if he was excited about the Xbox 360. When my friend told him yes, the rep mentioned that things will get better by ten fold.

What the rep said next made my friend cream his pants. Ready for this? He said that the FF7 tech demo that Square Enix showed at E3 WILL BE a full game ... and coming out for the Xbox 360 first! He even heard that its release will be on the PS3 launch date! Also, according to him, MS struck a deal with Square Enix to have it be released on the Xbox 360 first then on the PS3 later.

I'm not sure if this is completely true or not, but wouldn't it be awesome if it was? I'm creaming my pants right now just thinking about it!

:D
[source: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=363817 ]

Ponn

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
No amount of influence short of a majority of voting shares is going to persuade SE to ignore profit and greater marketshare for the FF brand. Seriously, if you believe that then you're pretty damned naive.

Where does Square/Enix games sell the most? Japan. What is the installed Xbox console base in japan? Is that base worth developement costs to port these games over to said console? Would it be worth the strain on the relationship with Sony who they have both grown and had a lucrative life with for 2 generations now? Is it better to port other titles in their library like MMORPG's or Crystal Chronicles or Slime Mori Mori, etc?

Not to say you will never see the major franchises (Final Fantasy 13 and above and Dragon Quest) on another console but I think you would have to see a MAJOR shift system installed base in the next gen for this to happen. If Xbox 360 is still under 10 million in Japan next gen then forget it, you won't see either of the two titles on there. Wouldn't be worth the development cost and if the PS3 is seeing sales like they did with the PS2 over their it would be insane for them to "dis-honor" their bread and butter so to speak.

BuddyC

I'll let you guys in on a little something about the gaming industry: If you're reading this, then you're guranteed to know more than the company reps that frequent EB/Gamestop/GameCrazy/GameRush/etc. Their job is to promote, promote, promote, ensure the proper marketing is displayed and the correct demo discs is in the demo unit, that sort of thing. They are not privy to insider information, for two reasons.

First, as stated above, their job is to promote.
Thus, second, they're given the knowledge to promote, and insider secrets, as you will, are not things to promote.

Anyways, this should be a fun, headache inducing bout of speculation.

Top Bottom