• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest no longer Sony exclusive?

Rhindle

Suikoguy said:
Seems to be like the newspaper latched on to what they thought would sell papers, and 1up had a more even translation... certainly two differnt pictures from the same article. I'll take 1up's over a newspaper translation anyday.

Edit:
Not to mention newspapers tend to "Get it wrong" a whole lot more often then specialized sites.
Exxy just translated the newspaper story.

The "official" translation seems to imply even more clearly that they are not talking about multiplatform releases, but rather targeting different games to different platforms. Which IMO is a failed strategy that has gotten Japanese publishers into trouble this gen. Things will not improve if they don't start wising up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jonnyram said:
They are both the same story. 1UP just translated it with a bit more "flair".

Wow did I get that all mixed up, i'm going to bed now. I obviously need sleep :lol

Tellaerin

Jonnyram said:
OK, this isn't getting anywhere.
I'm asking why I, as a gamer, should be more interested in an FFVII remake than an upgraded port of FFXI. I don't care about the sales... I want to know why I should be more excited about a game whose story I already know, than a game I haven't even beaten 50% of yet.

The point I'm trying to make is that neither of these games is new...

The thing I think you're missing here is the power of nostalgia.

For many of the people who began playing videogames during the 'Playstation era', FF VII was their first RPG. Square advertised it heavily on television, emphasizing the cinematic aspects by focusing on the FMV sequences from the game in their commercials. That created an unprecedented level of interest in the game at the time, and subsequently expanded the market for the genre as a whole.

FF VII left its mark on the new generation of fans it had helped to create - even today, you don't have to go far to hear people showering the game with praise despite its age (and the many superior RPG's that both preceded and followed it, IMO). It was their first RPG (or in some cases, just their first cinematic RPG), and as such, their memories of it are tinged with the warm glow of nostalgia.

Look at how excited people are at the prospect of a remake of FF VII with updated graphics. Look at how psyched they are about Advent Children, because they're still attached to those characters and are dying to see them in action again. I'm not a big FF VII fan, myself - it's my second-least favorite FF, surpassed only by VIII - but even I have to admit that FF VII means something to RPG fans. It's a milestone in a way that FF XI - a game that's both considerably more recent and an MMO, which isn't the kind of RPG that usually fosters attachments to particular characters besides the player's own - couldn't hope to be.

Mrbob

Rhindle said:
Exxy just translated the newspaper story.

The "official" translation seems to imply even more clearly that they are not talking about multiplatform releases, but rather targeting different games to different platforms. Which IMO is a failed strategy that has gotten Japanese publishers into trouble this gen. Things will not improve if they don't start wising up.

Disappointing. That is no different than this gen, then. I hope Square Enix puts more than their MMORPG on Xbox 360....

pilonv1

Tellaerin said:
The thing I think you're missing here is the power of nostalgia.

For many of the people who began playing videogames during the 'Playstation era', FF VII was their first RPG. Square advertised it heavily on television, emphasizing the cinematic aspects by focusing on the FMV sequences from the game in their commercials. That created an unprecedented level of interest in the game at the time, and subsequently expanded the market for the genre as a whole.

FF VII left its mark on the new generation of fans it had helped to create - even today, you don't have to go far to hear people showering the game with praise despite its age (and the many superior RPG's that both preceded and followed it, IMO). It was their first RPG (or in some cases, just their first cinematic RPG), and as such, their memories of it are tinged with the warm glow of nostalgia.

Look at how excited people are at the prospect of a remake of FF VII with updated graphics. Look at how psyched they are about Advent Children, because they're still attached to those characters and are dying to see them in action again. I'm not a big FF VII fan, myself - it's my second-least favorite FF, surpassed only by VIII - but even I have to admit that FF VII means something to RPG fans. It's a milestone in a way that FF XI - a game that's both considerably more recent and an MMO, which isn't the kind of RPG that usually fosters attachments to particular characters besides the player's own - couldn't hope to be.

Thanks for the massive generalisations but you have yet to tell Jonnyram why he should be excited to play an old game. I'm sure he doesn't care how excited other people are about playing the same game again. Whatever the Square marks think really doesn't matter.

Anyway the simple answer to "I want to know why I should be more excited about a game whose story I already know, than a game I haven't even beaten 50% of yet." is basically the daily Sony v. Microsoft arguement. Plus there's a segment of posters here who would rather play "remakes" of games they already own than anything remotely new.

Tellaerin

pilonv1 said:
Thanks for the massive generalisations but you have yet to tell Jonnyram why he should be excited to play an old game. I'm sure he doesn't care how excited other people are about playing the same game again. Whatever the Square marks think really doesn't matter.

If you actually read the bloody thread, Jonnyram had asked over the course of several posts why people would flock to an FF VII remake/graphical upgrade over a port of FF XI. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, he said that neither of the games is new, which is technically true, but he said it as if this should somehow put them on the same level in the eyes of gamers. This is obviously not the case, as even a cursory look at gaming sites around the net will prove. So, since the nostalgia angle and the impact of the game on the RPG market in the West as a whole were things that no one had really touched upon yet and were (IMO) key to understanding why people are still apeshit over FF VII to this day, I thought it might be worthwhile to bring them up. Apparently my 'massive generalizations' (which I think few people would dispute, honestly) didn't sit well with you, no doubt because it irks you that most people don't consider an X360 version of FF XI the massive coup that you'd like them to. The fact that this irritates you isn't my problem, however. You're effectively asking that I prove to Jonnyram why he 'as a gamer' should personally prefer X over Y, and that's all down to taste. What I can (and did) tell him was the direction most people are liable to jump, and the most likely reasons why. That was the whole point of this conversation to begin with. Now kindly get the fuck off my back, pilonv1. Thank you.

pilonv1 said:
Anyway the simple answer to "I want to know why I should be more excited about a game whose story I already know, than a game I haven't even beaten 50% of yet." is basically the daily Sony v. Microsoft arguement. Plus there's a segment of posters here who would rather play "remakes" of games they already own than anything remotely new.

You know, after a paragraph like that, I daresay that you're the last person here who should be criticizing anybody for making sweeping generalizations.

DCharlie

Banned
how well did the DQ remake do? I don't recall that setting the world on fire.

i dunno - i assumed that the DS had shown that people want new ideas more than anything. I guess i'm holding onto the hope that that's the way forward for the industry, but hey.

DCharlie

Banned
good numbers - but less than the original right?
And less than DQ8 surely?

of course, those sales aren't to be sniffed at, and 1 example doesn't make a case, but i personally think people would be interested in a true sequel than a remake.

but that's is based purely on nothing but my own thoughts - no evidence at all provided :)

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
good numbers - but less than the original right?
And less than DQ8 surely?

of course, those sales aren't to be sniffed at, and 1 example doesn't make a case, but i personally think people would be interested in a true sequel than a remake.

but that's is based purely on nothing but my own thoughts - no evidence at all provided :)

It's a risk-reward factor. Now, that DQ number is just Japan. Let's say, worldwide, a FFVIIr would do 2,500,000. Maybe that's low, maybe that's high. But that's 2.5 million for a cheaper project overall than it would be to make straight up original content (I mean, unless the original content is like FFVII:Golden Cards). Not only that, but since the original was such a dramatic success it's more of a sure bet then say Final Fantasy VII: Zack's Celebration. Anyway, I don't see it as a either/or proposition. I think we can have the remake and the new games, they'll all eventually be made if money is there.

if they go multiplatform then thats ok by me.
aslong as i get my FFgames first on PS3 as thats the only next gen console i will own exept for Rev.

besides square might get some extra cash if they go multiplatform with the next gen FF/DQ games

jiggle

DQ # from magicbox
Dragon Quest 1.50
Dragon Quest II 2.40
Dragon Quest I & II (Remake) 1.20
Dragon Quest III 3.80
Dragon Quest III (Remake) 1.40
Dragon Quest IV 3.10
Dragon Quest IV (Remake) 1.20
Dragon Quest V 2.80
Dragon Quest V (Remake) 1.61
Dragon Quest VI 3.20
Dragon Quest VII 4.06
Dragon Quest VIII 3.48

All the remakes had been 1mil+ for DQ. Not saying FFVII will do the same. But surely a great looking version of FFVIIr will do at least that. How many next gen games can truely guarantee 1mil in sales? And that's just japan. It should do good in the US too? maybe?

DCharlie

Banned
"It's a risk-reward factor. Now, that DQ number is just Japan. Let's say, worldwide, a FFVIIr would do 2,500,000."

well, there are a number of factors in getting to 2.5 million - the main one being when the game launches and what is already out there. It's an assumption that they'll sell 2.5 million too.

"Maybe that's low, maybe that's high. But that's 2.5 million for a cheaper project overall than it would be to make straight up original content."
.... what would they reuse from the original? The story - and that's about it i'd have thought. Basic battle engine maybe, but the models, art, assets, music etc would assumedly all have to be redone for PS3. And that's where the costs start rising. How many artists/modellers are you going to need to redo everything? Sure, you'll cut the cost of original design, but

"Not only that, but since the original was such a dramatic success it's more of a sure bet than say Final Fantasy VII: Zack's Celebration. Anyway, I don't see it as a either/or proposition. I think we can have the remake and the new games, they'll all eventually be made if money is there."

that all depends how many resources FFVII Remake saps - i keep seeing how we are getting a new Chrono, a new DQ, a new this and a new that... if they are bogged down remaking old shit to look nice, forget it.

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
well, there are a number of factors in getting to 2.5 million - the main one being when the game launches and what is already out there. It's an assumption that they'll sell 2.5 million too.

Of course it's an assumption, we really don't have anything else to go on but that. :p I'm just guesstimating, say, 1.5 million for Japan and, say, 500k for US and 500k for Europe.

It's all just guesses though. I think the one thing we can safely assume is that it'd pull in successful numbers.

DCharlie said:
.... what would they reuse from the original? The story - and that's about it i'd have thought. Basic battle engine maybe, but the models, art, assets, music etc would assumedly all have to be redone for PS3. And that's where the costs start rising. How many artists/modellers are you going to need to redo everything? Sure, you'll cut the cost of original design, but

Well, there'd be less conceptualization and significantly less scenario writing. The original music compositions exist, so tracks wouldn't need to be rewritten dramatically since they'd probably want to follow that relatively close (aside from quality/perhaps orchestrated versions). And the battle system (as you said) and gameplay is all fairly firmly in place, so none of that would necessarily need to go through much tweaking and planning and such. There's still plenty of costs to be had, I'm just saying it'd be cheaper than a straight up original project.

DCharlie said:
that all depends how many resources FFVII Remake saps - i keep seeing how we are getting a new Chrono, a new DQ, a new this and a new that... if they are bogged down remaking old shit to look nice, forget it.

Are we getting a new Chrono? Don't even joke :(

Tellaerin

Amir0x said:
Well, there'd be less conceptualization and significantly less scenario writing. The original music compositions exist, so tracks wouldn't need to be rewritten dramatically since they'd probably want to follow that relatively close (aside from quality/perhaps orchestrated versions). And the battle system (as you said) and gameplay is all fairly firmly in place, so none of that would necessarily need to go through much tweaking and planning and such. There's still plenty of costs to be had, I'm just saying it'd be cheaper than a straight up original project.

Depending on what they want to do with the visuals, they could also potentially recycle a lot of the high-poly assets from Advent Children. Using a high-poly model to generate the normal maps for the much lower-poly in-game models is standard procedure nowadays, and they wouldn't need to build those from scratch if they opted to retcon the costumes and use the AC character designs. They could probably get some mileage out of the cityscape and vehicle models built for the film in a similar fashion.

(Personally, what I'd love to see if they do a remake would be for them to dip into the vaults, exhume the models they used for the prerendered FMV sequences in the original game, then spiff them up a bit and use those as the in-game models. It'd be neat to see an entire game with the look and quality of the old FF VII FMV's rendered on the fly in realtime, and it'd also preserve the 'feel' of the original game. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening, especially not with the big push toward photorealism in most games nowadays...)

jimbo

Banned
Just my two cents. An offline FF on the 360 would be great for Japan, Dragon Quest even nicer, that's something even I am interested in playing, but what the 360 really needs is just KOTOR3. I'm anticipating that more than any other rpg for the 360. Next gen KOTOR....mmmm yummmm.

PS: Some people still get excited about FFVII CG. I played it last year again and trust me folks....today...it's pretty unimpressive. If they remake FFVII they need to re-do everything in terms of graphics..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Old? It's dated for today:

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0508/04/news056.html

According to SquareEnix, as for PS2 and XBOX shares, in Japan PS2 has 79% and Xbox has 7%, and in the US PS2 has 60% and Xbox has 22%, but if you look at the figures in the last 1 year, it's a tie in the US with almost the same amount shipped.

Therefore, in terms of worldwide, the shares are different in each territory, so they'll be territorially segregated, says Wada. So they're "currently positive about everything" and also in terms of cost recovery, multiplatform strategy is quite probable, he suggests. But according to him, as Dragon Quest series and Final Fantasy series are "extremely-tuned-up works just like F-1 racing cars", making them multiplatform is impossible as it stands.

That's a translation from one at Beyond3D.

jarrod

Banned
Elios83 said:
Sony is the third shareholder of the company.
And while 8% certainly isn't enough to force the remaining 92% to do what they want,it's enough to have influence on the company decisions and to be priviledged to the other console makers.
And if a shareholder that puts a lot of money to keep the company going on ask a favour,the rest of the board can't refuse easily when they have no reason to since FF&DQ marriage with Playstation has been rock solid for ten years and has brought a lot of success to both the companies.
Sony's investment is non-voting stock. They can't use it to influence Square Enix at all really, if they do Square Enix likely has a built in buyback clause.

After all, SCEI holding 20% of Square didn't stop them from making games for Nintendo... how will 8% prevent multiplatform R&D?

sly

Banned
I HATE multiplatform games with a passion. I'd rather have FFXIII on the PS3, DQIX on the Xbox 360 and another FF game on the Revolution than have all game released as multiplatform titles.

swordsman

Banned
Hey SquarEnix! just look at Capcom for a good example If you are smart enough. Resident evil 5 (xbox360 and ps3).

FFIII and DQIX for multi platforms is a great idea => more incomes.

Even the story about FF7 remake goes xbox360 first is true (I do hope not), why bother with a remake (yeah yeah I know with better graphics and sounds). Just give me the latest
of the serie and I am a happy man.

Rocket9

sly said:
I HATE multiplatform games with a passion. I'd rather have FFXIII on the PS3, DQIX on the Xbox 360 and another FF game on the Revolution than have all game released as multiplatform titles.
Not everyone has all 3 systems

crunker99

Exclusivity IMHO is never a good idea, it is designed to promote consoles, not games. I never understood why a company would give up 2 consoles worth of sales. I know there will always be exclusives, but it seems to me if u want the most saturation and sales, exclusivity is not the ay to go , especially with this upcoming generation. Maybe Square finally realizes that.

sly

Banned
crunker99 said:
Exclusivity IMHO is never a good idea, it is designed to promote consoles, not games. I never understood why a company would give up 2 consoles worth of sales. I know there will always be exclusives, but it seems to me if u want the most saturation and sales, exclusivity is not the ay to go , especially with this upcoming generation. Maybe Square finally realizes that.

Then why do we have three consoles in the first place? If every game made is multiplatform there wouldn't any reason to own more than one console.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
sly said:
Send me money to buy them all kthx

Geez, look people, do you see how much consideration Xbox is getting, even with only ~15% market share? Why is it so hard to understand that, with 360 poised to at least double that share (probably more than that while PS3 is playing catch-up), they'll recieve a whole lot more?

Yeah, it'll do bad in Japan, but it's obvious that Japanese companies think about more markets than just their home country. If they intend to release in the US, and the 360 is running a close race with PS3 numbers-wise here, they WILL be able to easily justify putting it on both if they aren't bound by exclusivity contracts, it's a chance to sell up to twice as many copies and put more money in the bank, with much, much less effort and investment than it would take to make an entirely new game. It's a total no-brainer business decision.

Razoric

Banned
crunker99 said:

If no game, sans first party titles, is exclusive then no 3rd party game will use the bells and whistles of the individual systems. You'll just have graphically watered down games that probably have a fair share of loading times, graphical glitches, etc since they werent optimized well for any one system.

Also if you'd read the thread Square said that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are made specifically for one system in mind (ala PS3) and they don't see it going multiplatform anytime soon (the main series). You will see spin-offs and online games for other systems though.

crunker99

sly said:
Then why do we have three consoles in the first place? If every game made is multiplatform there wouldn't any reason to own more than one console.

True i guess that is a good point, but there will always be first party games, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsfot which wont be multi plat. I dont really consider those exclusive though. WHen i said exclusive i meant more of games that COULD be multi but choose not to.

teiresias

Multiplatform games will inevitably turn the console game market into the PC game market. That is, generic engines, with no development team willing to push a system at the metal later on in its lifetime because of the necessity to have a highly portable game engine for multiplatform reasons.

Razoric

Banned
teiresias said:
Multiplatform games will inevitably turn the console game market into the PC game market. That is, generic engines, with no development team willing to push a system at the metal later on in its lifetime because of the necessity to have a highly portable game engine for multiplatform reasons.

Yup, just like I said above. Making games for all 3 systems is getting pretty close to making PC games. Just make one generic engine that can run off of every system and tweak a bit if time allows. Shit they are even using PC engines to hype up next-gen games now. :lol

PhatSaqs

Banned
teiresias said:
Cant argue with this at all. Definitely one of the negatives of competition.

Jonnyram

There's a new article on Impress that make's Wada's view crystal clear. I can't translate it all because it's rather lengthy, but the relevant part goes, "Until now, Square Enix has always put Dragon Quest on the most popular platform, so that as many people as possible could play it. But Wada has the opinion that next gen will be split more radically (with the Revolution showing signs of following the DS, while PS3 and 360 take on a similar development path to the PC) so he thinks they need to put the game out for all platforms, to broaden their horizons."

As a side note, it has come to light that KH2 may not make it out this year. Wada said it's possible it may slip into the first three months of next year, but it should be out this fiscal year, at least. They think they can announce the release date soon.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050804/sqex.htm

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Funny you all talking about multi-platform games and how they don't take advantage of the hardware etc. but in the same interview Wada says:

"He says they won't hold a middleware company in-house, though. Referring to the case that EA bought Criterion Software, getting it in-house prohibits it from doing as many cases to improve its technique, and also it's impossible to continue to release titles that actually push up the technique, so they won't buy middleware makers, said Wada."

Translation isn't the best, but he seems to be talking about how middleware might discourage refinement of (hardware) technique and perhaps games becoming "similar", from a technical perspective. Which sort of ties in with his comments about FF/DQ being like "fine tuned F1 cars", and may be a further indication of SE's attitude toward crossplatform releases..(?)

That said, it seems to contradict the approach with online games, where they wish them to be on as many platforms as possible. But perhaps in those instances they view the network as the platform, and the individual systems as mere interfaces.

Jonnyram said:
There's a new article on Impress that make's Wada's view crystal clear. I can't translate it all because it's rather lengthy, but the relevant part goes, "Until now, Square Enix has always put Dragon Quest on the most popular platform, so that as many people as possible could play it. But Wada has the opinion that next gen will be split more radically (with the Revolution showing signs of following the DS, while PS3 and 360 take on a similar development path to the PC) so he thinks they need to put the game out for all platforms, to broaden their horizons."

As a side note, it has come to light that KH2 may not make it out this year. Wada said it's possible it may slip into the first three months of next year, but it should be out this fiscal year, at least. They think they can announce the release date soon.

Can we end the thread now? Or do we give all camps one last chance to spin this info into whichever way would benefit said camps?

GamerShu

Banned
sadly i have only played FF1 for the GBA....but ive always wanted to get into the FF series...but theres so many of em, that now would just be pointless to start getting into them, since i dont have anough time....i wish i could :(

Razoric

Banned
GamerShu said:
sadly i have only played FF1 for the GBA....but ive always wanted to get into the FF series...but theres so many of em, that now would just be pointless to start getting into them, since i dont have anough time....i wish i could :(

Most arent even connected... think of each final fantasy as an individual game. I guess start on Final Fantasy X and see how you like it.

Jonnyram said:

Therefore, in terms of worldwide, the shares are different in each territory, so they'll be territorially segregated, says Wada. So they're "currently positive about everything" and also in terms of cost recovery, multiplatform strategy is quite probable, he suggests. But according to him, as Dragon Quest series and Final Fantasy series are "extremely-tuned-up works just like F-1 racing cars", making them multiplatform is impossible as it stands.

two very different quote/translations! does wada some a lot of crack?

Poody said:
As much as I want nintendo to return to its glory days and sony to fail miserably, I"ll still pick up a ps3. I would love to see all the major 3rd party games to start dropping like flies on the ps3. So

The PS3 and Revolution are the only consoles I'll be buying next gen. No way am I getting X360. Microsoft has been so unbelievably dominant in the PC arena that I just can't support them in their quest to become the same in the living room.

I think the more successful X360 is the worse off we will be for it. I truly hope it flops for the good of the console sector.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Doom_Bringer said:
two very different translations! does wada some a lot of crack?

Looking at a machine translation of the Watch Impress article, the stuff about DQ across all platforms isn't a quote from Wada. The article talks about how DQ has been put on the system with most users in the past, but if the market is less weighted toward one platform in the future, as Wada is of the opinion, might that means DQ would then end up on multiple platforms? Then it leaves with a suggestion from Wada that such can/could be the case (although I don't believe there's a quote from Wada specifically about DQ or the like - that's Watch Impress's own commentary, I think, spliced with a cut comment from Wada..not that it was necessarily out of all context, but it may not have been in the specific context of WatchImpress's example).

That would just be basic common sense though. If the market was split fairly evenly between all the platforms, in perhaps more than one territory, then putting games across all platforms seems the obvious course of action, imo.

Whether that will happen is another issue. Also, all of these different comments all come from the same event, I think, so I doubt he'd be saying contradictory things all at one time to the same reporters ;) I had thought that perhaps the other comments were coming from different interviews or such given how different they seemed, but they're all from one press conference. It seems to be a matter of language and translation that's causing a lot of confusion.

edit - that said, I did just notice their article opens with what seems like a quote " Dragon QUEST ' the to multi-platform there is a possibility of converting" - although it doesn't seem to reappear in the article.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
KingOfF00LS said:
The PS3 and Revolution are the only consoles I'll be buying next gen. No way am I getting X360. Microsoft has been so unbelievably dominant in the PC arena that I just can't support them in their quest to become the same in the living room.

I think the more successful X360 is the worse off we will be for it. I truly hope it flops for the good of the console sector.
LOL FOREVER

bitwise

Banned
KingOfF00LS said:

god.. shut up.

although, you are to be commended for not throwing an "M$" in there.

KingOfF00LS said:

:lol :lol

Worse of how? By provided great development tools? Pushing online content?

januswon

Doom_Bringer said:
two very different translations! does wada some a lot of crack?

the translation at GameWatch has a presumption:

これまで「ドラゴンクエスト」は、たくさんの人に遊んでもらうために、もっとも販売台数が多いプラットフォームに対して展開してきたが、逆に和田氏が考えるようなプラットフォームが均衡した状況になれば、全てのプラットフォームで展開することも視野に入れなければならなくなる。この点について和田氏は「あり得ますね」とマルチプラットフォーム展開の可能性を示唆した。

forgive my poor translation

the strategy (until now) to put DQ on the largest installed base platform is to have as many people as possible to play

(presumption) if things happen to the contrary as expected by Wada that the different platforms will have more balanced installed bases, then multiple platform strategy must be considered. In this respect, Wada implied that multiple platform strategy is possible.

Top Bottom