• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest no longer Sony exclusive?

PhatSaqs

Banned
KingOfF00LS said:
The PS3 and Revolution are the only consoles I'll be buying next gen. No way am I getting X360. Microsoft has been so unbelievably dominant in the PC arena that I just can't support them in their quest to become the same in the living room.

I think the more successful X360 is the worse off we will be for it. I truly hope it flops for the good of the console sector.

Microsoft_World_Domination_99.jpg

AssMan

Banned
Could be time exclusive, which Sony will have, then port the games to 360 or REV. Wasn't there news back in 2001 from GI that GTA3 was being ported to GCN?

Luscious LeftFoot said:
:lol :lol

Worse of how? By provided great development tools? Pushing online content?

What in the world can MS offer that Sony and Nintendo aren't capable of offering? (Both companies are obviously capable of building an online matchmaking service with a buddy list).

Would you prefer if the console scene turned into a mirror of the PC scene? Exactly how would that be an improvement?

Razoric

Banned
KingOfF00LS said:
What in the world can MS offer that Sony and Nintendo aren't capable of offering? (Both companies are obviously capable of building an online matchmaking service with a buddy list).

Would you prefer if the console scene turned into a mirror of the PC scene? Exactly how would that be an improvement?

MS is giving Sony competition. Any monopoly be it from Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo is a bad thing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It seems the video game industry has a "changing of the guard" every few years... which I personally think is a good thing. Because when one group is in power for years, stuff starts to stagnate. I thank MS for giving us some good competition and next gen will certainly be interesting, even though I think Sony will still dominate... I was originally one of the naysayers (Xbox has nothing interesting out on it! M$ wants to dominate the console industry!) but a couple of years later and they've really proved themselves. And with them proving that a sophisticated online infrastructure, or a built in HD, can work, more power to them.

Razoric said:
MS is giving Sony competition. Any monopoly be it from Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo is a bad thing.

You're right, and I don't disagree with you at all. I would just rather the competition be between Nintendo and Sony (rather than MS since they are already so completely dominant in PC software).

Razoric

Banned
KingOfF00LS said:
You're right, and I don't disagree with you at all. I would just rather the competition be between Nintendo and Sony (rather than MS since they are already so completely dominant in PC software).

But the thing is MS is no more dangerous than Sony or Nintendo. I don't see why you'd want them out of the console race anymore than wanting Sony to get out. I'll give you Nintendo, they've been around since the "new" beginning of consoles so they can stay. :p

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
KingOfF00LS said:
From what I've heard, MS treats devs much better than Sony or Nintendo ever have. Just because they're big doesn't mean they're bad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
KingOfF00LS said:

What difference does it make? Right now there are 3 potentially viable platforms out there - Nintendo, MS and Sony. And each will bring something potentially interesting to the table - MS=Online Infrastructure, Nintendo=New control method and game downloads, Sony=raw power and Blu-Ray compatibility. The most successful elements of each will probably make it to all of the next-next gen implementation of consoles.

Imagine if fanboys invested all the time arguing on message boards about how great their system of choice is, or making heated flamebait posts about games on rival systems, to actually working, and using the money to buy the other systems? But then, that wouldn't be so much fun now, would it?

KingOfF00LS said:

Nintendo and MS don't share the same market, it's like comparing the GAP to Osh Kosh Bgosh. As for MS and Sony, there must be something MS offering the consumer becuase the console has sold 1/1 with PS2 this year. IMO, MS has a more thought out plan and direction for the 360 and are executing it flawlessly so far - minus the relatively MTV debacle. In regardes to software, hardware capabilities, online elements and price 360 looks pretty good when stacked up to both PS3 and Revolution.

Razoric

Banned
Pseudo judo said:
Nintendo and MS don't share the same market, it's like comparing the GAP to Osh Kosh Bgosh. As for MS and Sony, there must be something MS offering the consumer becuase the console has sold 1/1 with PS2 this year. IMO, MS has a more thought out plan and direction for the 360 and are executing it flawlessly so far - minus the relatively MTV debacle. In regardes to software, hardware capabilities, online elements and price 360 looks pretty good when stacked up to both PS3 and Revolution.

hmm I don't think this is true. I thought the PS2 was outselling both Xbox and GC? Sonycowboy? Jarrod? Somebody post sales data for Xbox / PS2 2005 YTD. :)

Izzy

Banned
Pseudo judo said:
As for MS and Sony, there must be something MS offering the consumer becuase the console has sold 1/1 with PS2 this year.

NPD numbers beg to differ - not even close.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I believe hardware to date this year (or maybe just till May) in the US is:

PS2 - 2,121,000
XBX - 962,000
GCN - 437,000

Picked that up on google, though, so others may wish to correct if inaccurate.

Izzy said:
NPD numbers beg to differ - not even close.
From the June NPD hardware sales thread. Not surprisingly, judo the xbot is full of shit

June Hardware Sales

PSP = 294,000
PS2 = 355,000
Xbox = 168,000
GCN = 70,000
GBA/DS = 400,000 (approx)

Izzy

Banned
June

PSP = 294,000
PS2 = 355,000
Xbox = 168,000
GCN = 70,000
GBA/DS = 400,000

May

PSP = 250,000
PS2 = 273,000
Xbox = 129,000
GCN = 50,000
GBA/DS = 279,000

April

PSP = 351,000
PS2 = 332,000
Xbox = 153,000
GCN = 63,000
GBA/DS = 250,000

March

PSP - 620,000
PS2 - 495,000
Xbox - 227,000
GC - 94,000

February

PS2 = 533,000
Xbox = 212,000
GCN = 116,000

January

PS2: 488,000
Xbox: 241,000
Gamecube: 114,000

Horribly OT, innit? :)

Elios83

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3142692

Square Enix denies going promiscuous.

"Last week we reported that an interview with Square Enix president Youichi Wada in the Japanese daily paper Mainichi hinted at the company's plans to get into bed with Xbox 360 and Revolution. Among Wada's comments was the statement: "Our intention is not to focus on one platform, but to distribute the share of our games among the consoles."

Square Enix is quick to deny that this translates into anything concrete. A spokesperson explained to us today what Wada meant to say: "As the next generation consoles are all looking attractive, game developers may have more options to create a multiplatform game." When the reporter for the Mainichi asked about Dragon Quest, Wada did say that DQ may "have a chance", but Square Enix has no plans to go anywhere else with the venerable franchise. As for everybody's favorite Final Fantasy, the spokesperson responded, "Our purpose is to develop each new Final Fantasy to reach the limit of available technology, so it will be difficult to think of a multiplatform option."

Kutaragi has made a call :lol :lol

Elios83

Jonnyram said:
How do you know it was Kutaragi that made the call and not someone at MS or Nintendo? :p

Well it would be strange to see MS or Nintendo calling SE to tell to keep FF on the Sony platforms :D

Elios83

Jonnyram said:
Who said they're staying on Sony platforms!?

As for everybody's favorite Final Fantasy, the spokesperson responded, "Our purpose is to develop each new Final Fantasy to reach the limit of available technology, so it will be difficult to think of a multiplatform option."

Now please don't tell me that FF will be Revolution or Xbox360 exclusive because it's laughable :D :lol especially considering that the first next gen FF episode has already been announced on the PS3.

jimbo

Banned
KingOfF00LS said:

Capable of offering? Sure they are. But they are NOT offering it. There's a big gap between being capable and actually doing it. Even WITH competition from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have not come up with a strong answer to Xbox Live. So if they're not even doing it now, what makes you think they would even think about doing it if MS wasn't around? Heck if Xbox Live was not successfull Nintendo would still be spouting off that online gaming is a fad. Nintendo is not even being competitive in the hardware deparment anymore from the looks of things. They alone would have not been a match for Sony.

Also why would consoles ever turn into a mirror of the PC scene just because Microsoft is in it? You think MS is the reason PC gaming is the way it is? No it's because they are PC's. These are consoles. Even if Microsoft was the ONLY console developer it still would never turn into a mirror of the PC scene, because a console is a closed platform, universal for all people across a span of many years. That's what separates the two, not so much the companies which compete in the mix.

Top Bottom