• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy I - VI Pixel Remaster rated by the ESRB (PC, PS4, Switch)

Sensei

w7fqfhy3nf5a1.png

ESRB site: https://www.esrb.org/search/?searchKeyword=Final Fantasy&platform=PlayStation 4&rating=E,E10+,T,M,AO&descriptor=All Content&pg=1&searchType=All&ielement[]=all

Source:

Last edited:

Velcro Fly

Already have these on Steam but would go for a physical version if it was offered.

But they could make way more money selling them for $15-20 each so there won't be.

Mr Hyde

Rejoice! Crossed fingers dor a physical edition. Although I think these new pixel remasters are ruining some of the charm with the originals. But it'll be nice some revisit 4 & 6 again.

Nautilus

Banned
Like MS didnt drop a bag to get the other FF's on GP
To be fair, any game that's on Gamepass has received a bag of money to be there. No developer gives their games for free.

But its exactly why those games are on Xbox and new releases aren't that makes my point valid: If Square is not bring the collection over, its because the data that they have about their RPGs performance on Xbox is bad. And at this point, they already have plenty of RPGs there to gauge if there is an audience or not.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
To be fair, any game that's on Gamepass has received a bag of money to be there. No developer gives their games for free.

But its exactly why those games are on Xbox and new releases aren't that makes my point valid: If Square is not bring the collection over, its because the data that they have about their RPGs performance on Xbox is bad. And at this point, they already have plenty of RPGs there to gauge if there is an audience or not.
This silly argument will never make any sense, and is entirely a fantasy. The fact is no one knows why it's not on there. All we can say for certain is that many other SQEX games are, including brands that are objectively far, far, far less popular than Final Fantasy.

Nautilus

Banned
This silly argument will never make any sense, and is entirely a fantasy. The fact is no one knows why it's not on there. All we can say for certain is that many other SQEX games are, including brands that are objectively far, far, far less popular than Final Fantasy.
A fantasy? Nobody knows? That's just beyond stupid.

The one and only reason a company develops a product is to make money. And thus, it only makes it available in a certain region/marketplace/store is because it believes it will sell there. If the cost of developing/sending for it is higher than the profits(or its more work than its worth) then it won't develop for it.

Simple as that.

There is nothing mysterious about not developing for xbox, for this particular game anyway.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A fantasy? Nobody knows? That's just beyond stupid.

The one and only reason a company develops a product is to make money. And thus, it only makes it available in a certain region/marketplace/store is because it believes it will sell there. If the cost of developing/sending for it is higher than the profits(or its more work than its worth) then it won't develop for it.

Simple as that.

There is nothing mysterious about not developing for xbox, for this particular game anyway.
Yeah, nobody knows. Obviously. I thought that was as fair and neutral of a statement as I could make.

If there's some kind of exclusion or exclusivity deal, it is private. If SQEX is running numbers on the cost of this extremely complex port job and decided to skip Xbox, we don't know. If Xbox insisted they only want it on GP or not at all, we don't know. We don't know anything except what they announced it for.

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah, nobody knows. Obviously. I thought that was as fair and neutral of a statement as I could make.

If there's some kind of exclusion or exclusivity deal, it is private. If SQEX is running numbers on the cost of this extremely complex port job and decided to skip Xbox, we don't know. If Xbox insisted they only want it on GP or not at all, we don't know. We don't know anything except what they announced it for.
If nobody knows, how sure are you that it's not the most logical reason that why a company stops selling a product in a certain place, or why it never sends there in the first place?

With all due respect, but this just reeks as an excuse for people that wanted to play this on xbox to feel better. Or of console warring, which for some reason people think that Nintendo and Sony are gunning for Xbox for every single game. It may be the case for bigger games like FF XVI. But a collection of old games? Please.

This reminds me the early days of the Switch, when gamers were 200% sure that companies like Capcom, Bandai, EA, etc(japanese in particular) and many others were developing games for it, but it took almost 4 years for said support to finally show, when the Switch was already a sales behemot. Capcom was especially a shitshow in that discussion. People couldn't accept that Capcom took that long because it wanted to see if the Switch took off in the first few months before it devoted resources into it(Understandably given how horribly the Wii U flopped), but people were convinced that Capcom was always on board, that the 4 years with almost no support, even from their older games, was normal. Those were the times of some strong denial lol.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If nobody knows, how sure are you that it's not the most logical reason that why a company stops selling a product in a certain place, or why it never sends there in the first place?
I'll give up trying to explain this after this one. But I have said about 6x now that nobody knows. How sure am I? Nobody knows. NO ONE KNOWS = NOT SURE.

But the part I disagree about is that it's "the most logical" that SQEX is skipping Xbox because the cost to port it is high enough to make it not worthwhile because the games sell so poorly. Seems like literally the least logical option. Now here I will repeat the reason I gave. SQEX has ported many games to Xbox recently that aren't even close to as popular as Final Fantasy, and are also much more complex games. Porting NES games over from their most popular brand is not a huge risk. The fact that I had to explain this 3x is shocking.

fml-sylvester.gif

SilentUser

Finally! Now those are some awesome titles I'm willing to spend my time playing them (even though I played some of the a few times already lol).

Reactions: TLZ

Chukhopops

Square-Enix is probably waiting for that Game Pass check, seems to be what gets them to port anything to Xbox these days
Can’t seem to find Crisis Core and Stranger of Paradise on GP though?

Square’s porting logic is just weird overall, especially for low budget remakes. Porting Crono Cross and not Tactics Ogre for example just defies logic when both are simple remasters.

Only moneyhats from Sony seem to be FFXVI and Forspoken (lmao) so there’s just something else happening here.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I'll give up trying to explain this after this one. But I have said about 6x now that nobody knows. How sure am I? Nobody knows. NO ONE KNOWS = NOT SURE.

But the part I disagree about is that it's "the most logical" that SQEX is skipping Xbox because the cost to port it is high enough to make it not worthwhile because the games sell so poorly. Seems like literally the least logical option. Now here I will repeat the reason I gave. SQEX has ported many games to Xbox recently that aren't even close to as popular as Final Fantasy, and are also much more complex games. Porting NES games over from their most popular brand is not a huge risk. The fact that I had to explain this 3x is shocking.

fml-sylvester.gif
How many of those games are on gamepass? Honest question. Because if its on gamepass, it means that MS paid Square to port them over.And in that scenario, it makes complete sense to port it over, since Square already made the money it expected to make even before a single sale is made. And once ported to gamepass, they simply make it available for xbox, given that its already running on it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How many of those games are on gamepass? Honest question. Because if its on gamepass, it means that MS paid Square to port them over.And in that scenario, it makes complete sense to port it over, since Square already made the money it expected to make even before a single sale is made. And once ported to gamepass, they simply make it available for xbox, given that its already running on it.
They did a GP deal a while back for FFX, XII, XIII, XIII-2 and LR. All were already ported. Stranger in Paradise, Crisis Core, DioField Chronicles, Star Ocean are all not on GP but are on Xbox.

Reactions: Isa

Naked Lunch

I wouldnt be surprised on this hitting Xbox down the line.
Its gotta be some timed agreement.
Dragon Quest XI took years, Persona the same.
No way games like Diofield Chronicles get put on Xbox and not this. Makes zero sense.

Nautilus

Banned
Can’t seem to find Crisis Core and Stranger of Paradise on GP though?

Square’s porting logic is just weird overall, especially for low budget remakes. Porting Crono Cross and not Tactics Ogre for example just defies logic when both are simple remasters.

Only moneyhats from Sony seem to be FFXVI and Forspoken (lmao) so there’s just something else happening here.
Stranger of Paradise is a Souls like, a type of game that I assume is reasonably popular on Xbox.

And Crisis Core is there most likely due to the Remakes. So its more of an effort to market the remakes, than to sell the game itself.

FF classic collection has neither of those reasons in its favour.

I got all of these on steam and thoroughly enjoyed them, I just wish IV and V got the same level of attention as VI did, with those HD-2D sections. The opera is magnificent.
I am however, pissed that Square didn’t give every game the full HD-2D treatment.

Nautilus

Banned
They did a GP deal a while back for FFX, XII, XIII, XIII-2 and LR. All were already ported. Stranger in Paradise, Crisis Core, DioField Chronicles, Star Ocean are all not on GP but are on Xbox.
And neither of those are classical turn based RPGs. The modern FFs are an exception because FF is their flagship title and is widely known, so it has a chance.

But the classic FF? The ones that are on sprite, and old-fashioned sprite at that? There is barely a market for that on xbox. As far as I know, DQ games are there due to Gamepass, OT is there for the same reason, and games like Bravely Default 2 must have missed it for the same reason.

Now is that a wise decision? Don't know, its not my place to say. The only thing that I can do is make conclusions based on the circunstances.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And neither of those are classical turn based RPGs. The modern FFs are an exception because FF is their flagship title and is widely known, so it has a chance.

But the classic FF? The ones that are on sprite, and old-fashioned sprite at that? There is barely a market for that on xbox. As far as I know, DQ games are there due to Gamepass, OT is there for the same reason, and games like Bravely Default 2 must have missed it for the same reason.

Now is that a wise decision? Don't know, its not my place to say. The only thing that I can do is make conclusions based on the circunstances.
Octopath Traveler was on GP, and FFX is turn based. But sure, maybe that's their reason. I have no idea.

Chukhopops

Stranger of Paradise is a Souls like, a type of game that I assume is reasonably popular on Xbox.

And Crisis Core is there most likely due to the Remakes. So its more of an effort to market the remakes, than to sell the game itself.

FF classic collection has neither of those reasons in its favour.
I kinda agree about SoP but Crisis Core still makes no sense, you’d only play it if you’ve played FF7 and want to see the prequel story. I fully expected it to have no Xbox version.

The logic seems to be that everything turn-based doesn’t get ported but then you have Crono Cross. And everything action-based would be ported but then you don’t have Valkyrie Elysium.

I don’t care that much since everything goes to PC in the end but it’s just… inconsistent. And I don’t think Sony has anything to do with it except FFXVI.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I kinda agree about SoP but Crisis Core still makes no sense, you’d only play it if you’ve played FF7 and want to see the prequel story. I fully expected it to have no Xbox version.

The logic seems to be that everything turn-based doesn’t get ported but then you have Crono Cross. And everything action-based would be ported but then you don’t have Valkyrie Elysium.

I don’t care that much since everything goes to PC in the end but it’s just… inconsistent. And I don’t think Sony has anything to do with it except FFXVI.
And FFVII (original), VIII and IX are on Xbox. SQEX is all over the place really.

I was gonna get it on Switch regardless, but just wondering.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Octopath Traveler was on GP, and FFX is turn based. But sure, maybe that's their reason. I have no idea.
But I just said that...

Octopath Traveler is there because of gamepass money.Its easy to port a game when the game is already financially successful before the port work even began. Same for all DQ games on gamepass(As far as I know, all DQ games are there because of gamepass).

FF is there because FF is popular even among people that don't like turn based.

Feels like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes, whenever consoles are involved.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
But I just said that...

Octopath Traveler is there because of gamepass money.Its easy to port a game when the game is already financially successful before the port work even began. Same for all DQ games on gamepass(As far as I know, all DQ games are there because of gamepass).

FF is there because FF is popular even among people that don't like turn based.

Feels like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes, whenever consoles are involved.
Octopath is on GP because of GP money. The rest is your speculation.

Top Bottom