• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy I - VI Pixel Remaster rated by the ESRB (PC, PS4, Switch)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played them all on Steam... loved them. Would double dip for a physical Switch copy.

Reactions: TLZ

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Exclusively not on Xbox. Such crap.

I wouldnt be surprised on this hitting Xbox down the line.
Its gotta be some timed agreement.
Dragon Quest XI took years, Persona the same.
No way games like Diofield Chronicles get put on Xbox and not this. Makes zero sense.
It's really hard for Sony to compete, being the market leader and all, so it makes sense that they would spend some money to make sure these games don't hit Xbox.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Octopath is on GP because of GP money. The rest is your speculation.
Just as you are speculating why FF collection isn't comming over?

But contrary to your reasoning, I'm trying to make a case on logical assumptions and past data, instead of just saying "I don't know". Why is that so wrong?

ManaByte

Gold Member
The music in these...
excited the waterboy GIF

Lunarorbit

Octopath Traveler was on GP, and FFX is turn based. But sure, maybe that's their reason. I have no idea.
That's a bummer of a new avatar punished. Seeing a depressed impressionist Santa in the morning is a downer.

Do the pixel remasters have a speed toggle like ff7 does on modern consoles (original ff7)? I played ff6 on the snes classic and the battles were so slow. I could handle it when I was a kid but now it's painful to sit through especially if you grind.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's a bummer of a new avatar punished. Seeing a depressed impressionist Santa in the morning is a downer.
I'm playing Norco right now! He's homeless in the game and just wants a dollar. I almost put "merry christmas" in blood red lettering on it, but decided against it lol.

Just as you are speculating why FF collection isn't comming over?

But contrary to your reasoning, I'm trying to make a case on logical assumptions and past data, instead of just saying "I don't know". Why is that so wrong?
It's fine. I just said it's speculation. Carry on, I've said all I need to say on it. We're just repeating ourselves.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
About fucking time. How did it take square THIS fucking long?
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel this release or you can kiss your business goodbye.

On one hand I'm glad I can play this on Playstation now, on the other I'm not sure I care because I probably would rather play through the originals. Would be nice if they added in an option to use the original music because that would definitely help sway my choice.

Side note that for as much as I love the Final Fantasy series and for how much time in total I have spent playing the games, it is kind of weird that I only played FF1 once (not even sure if I beat it), and I don't think I ever played FF2 and 3. I also only played FF4 and 5 a couple times and never beat them because I didn't really care for them lol. I'm thinking next year I need to play through FF1-5 and FFXIII-2 just so that I can definitively say I played/beat them all (except 11).

Also gonna give Mystic Quest a run because while I didn't finish it either I remember it being much better than the insane hate it got on the internet back in the early 00s.

anthony2690

Banned
Same here. Can’t imagine the reasoning. Maybe we’ll get it later but launching into Gamepass?
I love game pass like everyone else subscribed to the service.

But I'm also more than happy to buy the good games I want to play day one. 🤷‍♂️

It could be that Square Enix just doesn't think Xbox is worth the effort. (But I'm honestly convinced they pull games out a hat, to choose what they port, as they seem to bring less successful/unproven ips over, but more successful games or ips seem to ignore the platform)

I'm thankful we got Diofield Chronicles atleast, as it was a genuine surprise for me this year.

anthony2690

Banned
Rejoice! Crossed fingers dor a physical edition. Although I think these new pixel remasters are ruining some of the charm with the originals. But it'll be nice some revisit 4 & 6 again.
Have they changed stuff? If so, any comparisons? (If you don't mind showing)

I assumed they were just hd ports?

BlakeofT

My main issue with these games is how inconsistent the visuals are. You have pixel characters (which is totally fine, not complaining about that), but then super high res (and squished) font. Pretty sure the PC version can be modded to adjust this, but I'd imagine I'd be stuck with whatever the default is on PS or Switch. Also, the games are pretty expensive.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel this release or you can kiss your business goodbye.
copypasta.jpg

Mr Hyde

They've changed some of the backgrounds, pixel art on characters, over world map, voice acting during the famous opera scene (FF 6). Here is a video comparisons of FF 6, all available ports.

yazenov

Guys don't blame SE for not porting these games to Xbox. Blame the Xbox user based for not buying these type of games. Its business as usual for SE.

No money, no honey.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Xbox getting left out again

With Octopath 2 skipping it and now this, I think we got our answer to if Square did well with those past releases. They tried, but they can't force a base of people to buy something they are not interested in.

yazenov

With Octopath 2 skipping it and now this, I think we got our answer to if Square did well with those past releases. They tried, but they can't force a base of people to buy something they are not interested in.

October NPD 2022, Star Ocean and Persona 5 didn't even chart on the Xbox top 10 list, while Person 5 charted for the Switch and Star Ocean did for the PS5.

Lets face it, there is little demand for Jrpgs on Xbox, hence the lack of support from publishers.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
This would be a decent launch into PS+ extra, but that won’t happen.
God I hope so, it would actually make me subscribe to the service for a while (unless they're released in a physical collection).
Although now that I think about it, why haven't they ported the FFXIII trilogy to modern platforms? They're the only mainline FFs missing from PS5 (other than X).

wvnative

God I hope so, it would actually make me subscribe to the service for a while (unless they're released in a physical collection).
Although now that I think about it, why haven't they ported the FFXIII trilogy to modern platforms? They're the only mainline FFs missing from PS5 (other than X).

They probably don't see much point, it's on PC, and the 360 versions are upscaled to 4k on xbox series consoles and look like remasters already, without bugs that remasters tend to introduce.

They'd only be putting the work in for easier access on playstation platforms.

nial

Gold Member
They probably don't see much point, it's on PC, and the 360 versions are upscaled to 4k on xbox series consoles and look like remasters already, without bugs that remasters tend to introduce.

They'd only be putting the work in for easier access on playstation platforms.
Well, they could still be released on Switch, so they wouldn't be only for PS.

kunonabi

New music - mostly good, sometimes excellent
Tons of gameplay tweaks, rebalancing and QOL stuff - mostly good
Redone visuals - bad
Using the censored versions - unacceptable

That's the jist of it but there was a lot of work done.

Last edited:

jshackles

I would personally assume someone who only owns an Xbox doesn't care about playing JRPGs.
Kind of a catch-22 really. People into JRPGs don't buy Xbox because the games they want to play aren't on Xbox. When JRPGs do come to Xbox, they don't sell well because the platform doesn't have many JRPGs, which causes interested customers to not own an Xbox. This makes companies invest less in Xbox for JRPGs, meaning the platform gets less games for people interested in JRPGs. This causes people into JRPGs to not buy Xboxes. Repeat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
October NPD 2022, Star Ocean and Persona 5 didn't even chart on the Xbox top 10 list, while Person 5 charted for the Switch and Star Ocean did for the PS5.

Lets face it, there is little demand for Jrpgs on Xbox, hence the lack of support from publishers.

Where are you getting that Persona 5 charted for Switch only and Star Ocean for PS5 ?

The NPD only listed Persona 5 and Star Ocean in the top 20, they didn't break down by platform.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Never gets old.

nikos

FINALLY. Hopefully the Switch port is good. Would've bought these on iOS if they supported controllers. Not something I want to play at my PC or PS5.

Exclusively not on Xbox. Such crap.

It's really hard for Sony to compete, being the market leader and all, so it makes sense that they would spend some money to make sure these games don't hit Xbox.
You think Sony is paying for these games to not be on Xbox? They're not.

There is a reason why they are on PS, Switch and PC. They sell well enough to make financial sense. The same isn't the case for these games on Xbox.

We know when Sony or MS pays for timed exclusivity. Stuff like Deathloop or Tomb Raider. Things like FF Pixel Remaster, Disgaea, etc are not bought. They wouldn't be on both Nintendo and Sony in that case.

Top Bottom