• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finally started today and it's pretty surreal seeing all these memorable places this gorgeous.

Coming off playing Elden Ring I do dread playing another 100+ hour game though. Especially since it seems like to get a lot of the extras, you need to do a run on hard. And I'm assuming you don't get the option to be placed at specific points within said chapters, you gotta do the whole chapters all over again?
Man wish I had nostalgia but I never played this as a kid. But it’s still incredible and just magical. I have some sort of nostalgia from seeing the game in magazines back in the day.
On the other side - I get to experience “ff7” for first time !

My 10yo nephew was visiting today and he couldn’t give less of a fuck that I am playing ff games. “Is that a dog running around with you and a girl?!” You ride a chicken?!” And the. He quickly put on his quest 2 and continued playing fnaf. Kids these days.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of nostalgia... I had a surprising amount of nostalgia for the classical rendition of "Hollow" (Remake's theme song) that played in the section of the grasslands by Kalm, when heading back towards Midgar.

jimmypython

Great game! But cannot believe they didn't change the itemization in the hard mode from FF7 Remake....why dropping items when I cannot use them?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I noticed, just like in FF16, that the jingle sound is back when out in the open world map.

I can’t wait for SE to fix their sound issues and change engines.

Aside from a few things I've been really digging this game until I got most of the way through Chapter 9.

Seems like shit is about to go off rails quick.. not really happy to see these bullshits return and weird, the whole sequence was just weird and forced. I knew it was too good to be true and I'm sure it's going to get worse as it goes on, though I really hope not. Also it seems like they have merged the sequences of Weapon and Huge Materia together is what I'm gathering? Not a fan of Weapons showing up already and everyone is just familiar with what they are. Kind of ruins that epic moment in the original when the weapons awaken. Guess we'll see where it goes.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Things that are great
music
characters
story
combat
Colorful areas
team dynamic

things that I don’t like
towers
map chores
way to much AI characters telling you all this information. I hate this.
the checklist stuff is too much. But I feel like I have to do it to advance in team level materia summons.

things I dont know. How to get SP.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
One minor complaint is that there are far less songs from the original being using. Most of the soundtrack has been Hamauzu originals. Which sound fine, but it kinda changes the flavor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know you answered me this but what was it that charges team members synergy bars?!
I rarely have enough bars on these fools to perform synergy attack.
And they are not very mobile on their own to charge them it seems.
edit: ok nevermind. you have to use their atb to charge their synergy points.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Aside from a few things I've been really digging this game until I got most of the way through Chapter 9.

Seems like shit is about to go off rails quick.. not really happy to see these bullshits return and weird, the whole sequence was just weird and forced. I knew it was too good to be true and I'm sure it's going to get worse as it goes on, though I really hope not. Also it seems like they have merged the sequences of Weapon and Huge Materia together is what I'm gathering? Not a fan of Weapons showing up already and everyone is just familiar with what they are. Kind of ruins that epic moment in the original when the weapons awaken. Guess we'll see where it goes.

I had the opposite reaction. Chapter 9 is awesome, and it’s climax pulled me into the story even more.

Go_Ly_Dow

I noticed, just like in FF16, that the jingle sound is back when out in the open world map.

I can’t wait for SE to fix their sound issues and change engines.

They're completely different engines FYI. So 16 is in house built upon the FF14 engine. 7R a highly customized/enhanced UE4. 15 was luminous. Who knows what 17 will run on or a hypothetical 10 remake.

Also I loved 16 and am loving this even more, it's been a great 7 months for the series putting out two massive games like this back to back. Quite mental really as neither game is borrowing anything from each other and has been built from the ground up. The efficiency is impressive given how there's probably more polygons/triangles or whatever in just one slither of the map compared to the entirety of the games on PS1 lol.

Last edited:

SCB3

I knew I should've replayed the original again in the last few years, I've forgotten what happens post disc 1, still I'm only on the Shrinra-8 to Costa Del Sol after what 20 hours? All Side quests and QB matches done so far, loving it

I knew I should've replayed the original again in the last few years, I've forgotten what happens post disc 1, still I'm only on the Shrinra-8 to Costa Del Sol after what 20 hours? All Side quests and QB matches done so far, loving it
This whole game basically still takes place on Disc 1. Disc 1 is very long in comparison to the other two.

SCB3

They're completely different engines FYI. So 16 is in house built upon the FF14 engine. 7R a highly customized/enhanced UE4. 15 was luminous. Who knows what 17 will run on or a hypothetical 10 remake.

Also I loved 16 and am loving this even more, it's been a great 7 months for the series putting out two massive games like this back to back. Quite mental really as neither game is borrowing anything from each other and has been built from the ground up. The efficiency is impressive given how there's probably ore polygons/triangles or whatever in just one slither of the map compared to the entirety of the games on PS1 lol.
In 16's defence they were going for a MMO like story with its gameplay secondary, it felt a lot like 14 in so many ways (which makes sense considering who made it and the engine used) I enjoyed 16 a lot but 7, 8 and X (I've not played VI, IX or XII yet) are just far more special in terms of world and story, everything feels like a wonder, 16 never really got to that level

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I know you answered me this but what was it that charges team members synergy bars?!
switch between all the characters and use as many ATB skills as you can for each.

but you dont have to wait for them. Hold R1 and you will see synergy skills that dont require ATB charges. you can spam them as many times as you want. but you have to switch characters to execute them.

I'm always playing very actively and swapping between characters to perform given functions so they always seem to stack it up very quick, not sure what the actual criteria is for gaining synergy bars is though. I don't use it much so I don't pay it a lot of attention but there surely is something in the digital manual about it I would think.

SCB3

This whole game basically still takes place on Disc 1. Disc 1 is very long in comparison to the other two.
Yea I remember Disc 3 pretty much just the endgame anyway

Something else to mention, of how much of an "easy to lose yourself" game this is, like I mentioned, I'm not even halfway through the game (Well I assume) and at 20 hours, its not felt like that at all compared to something like LaD: Infinite Wealth where there were parts of that game where I felt its was dragging this far in

Yea I remember Disc 3 pretty much just the endgame anyway

Something else to mention, of how much of an "easy to lose yourself" game this is, like I mentioned, I'm not even halfway through the game (Well I assume) and at 20 hours, its not felt like that at all compared to something like LaD: Infinite Wealth where there were parts of that game where I felt its was dragging this far in
Yep, Disc 3 is basically the northern crater and whatever end game stuff. Disc 2 is mostly just huge materia and weapon whatnot story sequences.

I've only encountered one or two moments in which I felt it was dragging and I've done quite a lot of side content almost done with Chapter 8. Even if some of the side stuff bothered you, it's mostly avoidable or skippable. Game is, for the most part, very well put together.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I'm always playing very actively and swapping between characters to perform given functions so they always seem to stack it up very quick, not sure what the actual criteria is for gaining synergy bars is though. I don't use it much so I don't pay it a lot of attention but there surely is something in the digital manual about it I would think.
When you select your ATB skills with X during battle, the little description lets you know exactly how many synergy bars you gain by using the different skills (it's mostly 1 per skill, and 0 for some - the elemental ones -).

Regarding the side stuff, I am impressed that basically 95% of the Junon map and content is skipable if you just want to follow the main story

Last edited:
When you select your ATB skills with X during battle, the little description lets you know exactly how many synergy bars you gain by using the different skills (it's mostly 1 per skill, and 0 for some - the elemental ones -).

Regarding the side stuff, I am impressed that basically 95% of the Junon map and content is skipable if you just want to follow the main story
Ahhh never paid attention, thanks!

Yep indeed. There's a lot and honestly I feel like a lot of the exploration especially at Junon and beyond is quite enjoyable. But very, very nice that you can march on if that's not your thing. IMO it's a great balance. I of course am doing most of it and enjoying it all. And what little I haven't finished I'm definitely going back to do. Usually once I hit story lulls I will jump back and do a few more bits. They nailed this aspect, hard to believe such a huge upgrade from Remake in terms of how it feels.

In 16's defence they were going for a MMO like story with its gameplay secondary, it felt a lot like 14 in so many ways (which makes sense considering who made it and the engine used) I enjoyed 16 a lot but 7, 8 and X (I've not played VI, IX or XII yet) are just far more special in terms of world and story, everything feels like a wonder, 16 never really got to that level
Also to be fair, while this game is better than 16, the latter was still really good, and probably the first mainline Final Fantasy in more than a decade to not be a disaster in some way.

13 is where the series started going downhill because Square had so many issues making an HD Final Fantasy game, 14 1.0 was a disaster and had to be completely retooled, 15 was a taped together mess that didn't get enough development time.

We got two good, feature-complete, not rushed mainline Final Fantasy games in a row (one of them being a remake, but still). I'd call that a win.

SkylineRKR

The game doesn't seem to push you into side quests. If i am not mistaken the Junon chocobo is completely optional as you don't need it to advance the plot, unlike the grasslands.

I wonder how the pacing would be when skipping all that. If I were to guess its relatively close to the original game, with the areas being much bigger ofcourse. Ofcourse you will miss out on many things and also character relations, but I think its still doable.

Spoilers for end of Corel Prison:
I also didn't really care for how they retooled Dyne. I don't like that Shinra shows up for an extra boss fight and they are the ones that actually kill Dyne as opposed to him offing himself down a cliff or whatever. I felt like it kind of killed the moment a bit when they conveniently show up to basically just do that. That in mind I also don't really like that they added a Shinra attack in Costa Del Sol at the beach. It just feels forced at times for Shinra to constantly engage one way or another when IMO it's not necessary.
Most of the other changes or enlargement so far I'm ok with or like.

SCB3

Also to be fair, while this game is better than 16, the latter was still really good, and probably the first mainline Final Fantasy in more than a decade to not be a disaster in some way.
Oh definitely, I loved 16 a lot, I had my issues with it (like wtf happened with Jill being a big one)

TrebleShot

Gold Member
This is orders of magnitude better than FF7 Remake part 1 and FFXVI. The amount of effort put into this is absolutely staggering. Those whinging about some low res textures really haven't played this properly or for any extended. It's the first time I have been "wowed" by a "next gen" game.
Agreed bro, performance mode?

Dynasty8

I know some people are saying the open world is nothing special...I get where you're coming from, but it is leaps above what Square Enix has done before and in a more scripted story like FFvII, it's done very, very well.

Performance and graphical issues aside, my biggest complain so far is some of these NPC characters need to just fuck off and die. Specifically Kyrie. I will never understand why certain Japanese developers force these weird "cutesy" and over the top anime imbeciles in games that have more of a serious tone. I am not against humour, but the humour here isn't funny. It's cringe to the point where I want to mute the game. The Junon section was amazing minus Kyrie.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I know some people are saying the open world is nothing special...I get where you're coming from, but it is leaps above what Square Enix has done before and in a more scripted story like FFvII, it's done very, very well.

Performance and graphical issues aside, my biggest complain so far is some of these NPC characters need to just fuck off and die. Specifically Kyrie. I will never understand why certain Japanese developers force these weird "cutesy" and over the top anime imbeciles in games that have more of a serious tone. I am not against humour, but the humour here isn't funny. It's cringe to the point where I want to mute the game. The Junon section was amazing minus Kyrie.

You should read "The Kids are Alright". That is where Kyrie originates from and it is a pretty good book. This is a Kyrie that is, IIRC, two years younger. Its nice to see where she originates from if you are familiar with her character and just how childish/dumb she was.

Just want to say I love how exploration continues to develop. Chapter 8 spoilers
it starts with the chocobo that can move up the mountain side and then eventually you get the grappling hook and the chocobo that can springboard off of the mushrooms as well as the buggy and it just feels really good to see these areas kind of locked off and then you can eventually open them up or just explore with those methods. I admittedly thought it wouldn't go far beyond what was present in the grasslands in Junon but am pleasantly surprised to see it expands more.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Yeah to comment on the open world aspect, this is leaps and bounds above what Square have done in the past. It’s not groundbreaking open world design, but it is good open world design.

Seriously consider the side quest design of Remake, and then acknowledge that not only did they get side quest design right in the next game, but they also did it in an open world format. They nailed it on their first try. Respect.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah to comment on the open world aspect, this is leaps and bounds above what Square have done in the past. It’s not groundbreaking open world design, but it is good open world design.

Seriously consider the side quest design of Remake, and then acknowledge that not only did they get side quest design right in the next game, but they also did it in an open world format. They nailed it on their first try. Respect.
I just can't get over how much better side quests are here vs Final Fantasy 16 - and both games have a psuedo-open-world thing going on. The side quests in 16 were absolutely trash-tier, while this game has got me going around 100%-ing everything.

About 20 hours in and still on chapter 4 - I'm cleaning every map as I go before progressing.
Loving it so far... the combat is so good, side quests are much better in comparison with Remake and XVI, and I really liked how they adapted the world.

My only complaint so far is MAI yapping the same thing over and over every time I try to replay some of the combat encounters to complete every objective.
What's even worse is that I had the controller sound on, and her voice comes out of the the Dualsense and lasts almost the entire combat.

SkylineRKR

I just can't get over how much better side quests are here vs Final Fantasy 16 - and both games have a psuedo-open-world thing going on. The side quests in 16 were absolutely trash-tier, while this game has got me going around 100%-ing everything.

I think this has to do with a team that already had Remake (and Intermission, which was already an improvement) under its belt, and was working with a 3 game plan from scratch. And with a team that has single player experience. The FFXVI team was pretty much an MMO studio.

Remakes sidequests were kinda trash tier too. And they ofcourse ran with the feedback and clearly tried to improve here. And since they are an MMO developer, they didn't gate the main story behind fetch quests, nor did Remake. And don't forget the payoff. This is a good remedy for a lot of mediocre quests. FFXVI basically had no useful rewards. FFVII does, its side quests make you effectively more powerful.

FFXVI feels as if they try to lower queues with its padding, just like trash tier MMO questing does. Its as if they had no idea how to create an engaging single player. The dungeons even feel like proper instances being completely cut off from the world and barely any verticality. Compare that to eg. FFVII's Mithril Mine that does connect the 2 regions and you can re-enter iirc.

For the rest FFXVI was stuck in a weird situation where it didn't know if it wanted to be a hack n slasher or an RPG and ended up doing too little of both. I think it was better off if it was trimmed by some 20 hours, and the bulk of its main questline fetching removed, and perhaps a higher difficulty from the get go.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
switch between all the characters and use as many ATB skills as you can for each.

but you dont have to wait for them. Hold R1 and you will see synergy skills that dont require ATB charges. you can spam them as many times as you want. but you have to switch characters to execute them.
I remember doing that in the beginning but there are no free synergy skills now.
I mean, the combat is not giving me too much trouble so I must be doing something right lol.
Barret with bonus round skill slaps ass himself alone lol

SkylineRKR

Anyone got a primer on how to play Queen's Blood?

You can google some useful guides. But the gist is, at least at first when not many enhancement cards are in play, is that you want to dominate your field with green orbs. You do this by playing cards and looking at its tetris pattern. Make it so that you work to the right, and place cards so that your tiles in the back rows are getting another orb for powerful level 2 and 3 cards. You want to have something inbetween these and red orbs so that the enemy can't take over.

For example, I usually always start with Security officer in the middle, this creates a bunch of green orbs around you. Then I work to the right. Try to focus on holding 2 lanes, you don't need all 3. You can really block your opponent from doing anything if you play it smart, and I guess RNG plays a part on what you draw from your deck. Also, mulligan level 3 cards, you can't use them for the first few rounds anyway.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

You should read "The Kids are Alright". That is where Kyrie originates from and it is a pretty good book. This is a Kyrie that is, IIRC, two years younger. Its nice to see where she originates from if you are familiar with her character and just how childish/dumb she was.

Yeah just checked it out 👍

I think my issue also stems to all of the compilation stuff that was released after the OG. Crisis Core, DoC, all the other mobile FFVII stuff added nothing of value IMHO. It just dialed up the "crazy kingdom hearts-like nonsensensical stuff" to eleven. It has somewhat diluted the amazing world and universe that Sakaguch and his team built.

Don't get me wrong, the OG had its fair share of crazy moments too, but as a whole package, it all came together very nicely from beginning to end.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Guys stop using chapter numbering in here. I don’t even want to know how many chapters there are

Yeah just checked it out 👍

I think my issue also stems to all of the compilation stuff that was released after the OG. Crisis Core, DoC, all the other mobile FFVII stuff added nothing of value IMHO. It just dialed up the "crazy kingdom hearts-like nonsensensical stuff" to eleven. It has somewhat diluted the amazing world and universe that Sakaguch and his team built.

Don't get me wrong, the OG had its fair share of crazy moments too, but as a whole package, it all came together very nicely from beginning to end.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Top Bottom