• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has the game graphics been patched up from the demo? Demo looks rough in spots.
kxjw9wO.jpg

No, you can check the DF topic where people are posting pics from later areas in the game which have similar issues.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People said 2024 will be a weak year... yeah right. Jokes on you, its only the beginning of march and we already had so many great games this year. DD2 comes out in less than 3 weeks too, another huge ass game. I wont even finish this game by that time, so i have to delay that playthrough
If you only in to western games then I can see their point but for fan of Japanese games, we eating goooooood!

Man, they really gutted this thing visually, which is just a damn shame given how well other aspects are presented (music, art direction, gameplay). This deserved so much more from the visual tech side of things.

The sound mixing is incredible bad in this game. I love the music, but even when i lowered it to 8, its still too fucking loud compared to dialogue
Yeah, it's all messed up. Battles seem insanely loud compared to exploring so just toggling music for example doesn't fix a problem I have.

SCB3

Yeah, it's all messed up. Battles seem insanely loud compared to exploring so just toggling music for example doesn't fix a problem I have.
I play with headphones on and it feels like everyone has a echo

I will say though, give me a irl version of Queensblood, shits addicting

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Just got to the grasslands and I’m pretty fuckin blown away. Some of those end scenes in Chapter 1 were absolutely fantastic. I LOVE how much they’ve taken from the Xenoblades for this, like the smiley heads above your party members.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sure I'll give it a shot but this might be a long post.

Player Freedom: Sprawling open world with tons to do ( more on this later) and no set order to do them in or you can completely ignore it if you want. The free climbing and jumping and swimming make it so if you have the thought hmm can I get there chances are you can, and it rewards you for doing so.

RPG Elements: Has the foundation of a FF game with standard leveling, then has the tried and true Materia system form FF7 OG, then adds a synergy system that's a combo of Chrono Trigger and FF10s sphere grid system, also has the weapon mastery system similar to FF9 and to top it all off has a party level system that ties it all together and even influences story based content with how you synergies with characters in your party. Combat is fluid, engaging, a challenge, has variety and above all is fun.

Things to do: Countless, play cards (build you own deck, buy boosters, win cards, craft, fight challenging foes, seek out new NPCs and delve into thier backstreet through side quests ( my fave), help out the moogles, find life springs to learn more about the region, do the battle challenges in "VR for Chad to get new meteria or the challenging sommons, captur Chocobos, help the ranches. I could go on quite a bit but I hope you get the idea there is a lot ( for ref I have 100% the Grasslands and am about 50% through Junion (about 20 hours or so).

Just exploring an fully realized FF7 world and finding the Easter eggs is fun as well.
Thank you for your post. I like the extra detail here. Gives me a better idea of the content in the game overall. Which while it seems to be a lot it actually isn't that much IMO. Seems very padded out. There is a lot to do but overall not much I'd say I want to do.

Much like Remake I think the meat of the game will be the combat and VR battles when all is said and done. Pretty sure Hard mode has more mechanics in fights as an example.

If I were to critique any part of your post it would be the world isn't fully realized as you can't return to Midgar and portions of the world of Gaia aren't available and will be quarantined to Part 3.

I like your excitement though!

I never said it was bad. I think it's great I've said that in almost every comment I've made but pretending the open world is anything but competent is very disingenuous imo yet people are in here talking like they're never seen anything like this game before.

This is certainly the first time a FINAL FANTASY game has had this scale before. Remember, Zelda was the same way before BOTW and that game has literal "checkbox" stuff to do as well.

What matters more is the charm and things you can do, and there's a lot of fun activities even if they are copy and paste. There's a reason to navigate the world and you enjoy doing so. I can't say the same for other types of checkist open worlds that are far more boring.

If I were to critique any part of your post it would be the world isn't fully realized as you can't return to Midgar and portions of the world of Gaia aren't available and will be quarantined to Part 3.

I like your excitement though!
This makes sense though, you wouldn't have the Highwind or the ability to return to Midgar at these points in FF VII. But I get what you're saying.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Boss fights are amazing in this.

It can get really tactical in dynamic mode and you have so much options.

The soundtrack and the cutscenes are also 10/10.

I have gripes with the open world but you cannot deny the experience is magical

So do y'all consider this an improvement over FF7R in every way?

I think Remake is god-tier and I have the Platinum trophy for it, this is on another level and will no doubt be my GOTY come the end of 2024.

Tip for visuals adjustments (obviously TV. dependent, I'm playing on a LG OLED):

in-game HDR brightness starts at 10 by default, I highly recommend reducing that to 5, makes a world of difference. In the TV settings I increased the colour (ie saturation) to 80 (normally have it at 75) it makes everything pop and showcases the beautiful environments the way (I believe) they were meant to be seen.

SCB3

The bosses so far have been a bit of an annoyance to fight much like the first game, the Terror of the Deep boss especially where it straight up ignores the cutscenes on Limit breaks and teleports under the platform, theres literally nothing I can do about that, I did wait them out sometimes or do it on a stagger but still...

Vblad88

In the middle of deep video game industry crysis Square Enix found out that Assassin's Creed existed and everyone is going crazy about the game, with 90% at Metacritic. Horray! Every aspect of openworldness is screaming early AC era + tiny bits from the Witcher 3 (but not in the actual quality of sidequests still).

Truth to be told, there would be so much more polish to the product if they decided to make it more focused experience like FF7 Remake.
Something went teribbly wrong at the planning stage, or they simply decided to make it "safest game possible". So sad that series took a hit like that.
Hopefully they will be successful at refocusing on quality.

This is certainly the first time a FINAL FANTASY game has had this scale before. Remember, Zelda was the same way before BOTW and that game has literal "checkbox" stuff to do as well.

What matters more is the charm and things you can do, and there's a lot of fun activities even if they are copy and paste. There's a reason to navigate the world and you enjoy doing so. I can't say the same for other types of checkist open worlds that are far more boring.
Also it's not all just generic side stuff.

I'm just finished lower Junion and I have already been sucked into a board game, turned to a frog where I had to compete MZC style and more.

Fabieter

In the middle of deep video game industry crysis Square Enix found out that Assassin's Creed existed and everyone is going crazy about the game, with 90% at Metacritic. Horray! Every aspect of openworldness is screaming early AC era + tiny bits from the Witcher 3 (but not in the actual quality of sidequests still).

Truth to be told, there would be so much more polish to the product if they decided to make it more focused experience like FF7 Remake.
Something went teribbly wrong at the planning stage, or they simply decided to make it "safest game possible". So sad that series took a hit like that.
Hopefully they will be successful at refocusing on quality.

I wish early assassin's creed were this good.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm almost 22 hours in and still in grasslands
9 hours in and still in the grasslands lol. You have me beat.

It really is FF x Xenoblade. I actually felt they've undersold the size of the game world in all the pre release talk about the game.

Normally in games I skip the side content and just blitz through the story, but I'm struggling to do that here. There's a lot of charm in the sidequests and I just love running around the FF7 world when it feels this alive and detailed.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Currently almost done with Junon's open world activities and I decided to just explore without much looking at waypoints this time and it makes the game infinitely better, as I've come across most of the content on my own and it felt better and more engaging than following an icon. The game also does a pretty good job on having points of interest and landmarks visible do you can just go there and see if there's anything to do.

I also thought I wouldn't like this more segmented approach to how they did the open world, but it kinda worked, as I got to know both regions very well. It's kinda like they designed a few small open worlds and it allowed them to have better level design and make the landscapes more memorable.

It's very refreshing to know my way around an open world without even looking at the map.

Flabagast

Currently almost done with Junon's open world activities and I decided to just explore without much looking at waypoints this time and it makes the game infinitely better, as I've come across most of the content on my own and it felt better and more engaging than following an icon. The game also does a pretty good job on having points of interest and landmarks visible do you can just go there and see if there's anything to do.

I also thought I wouldn't like this more segmented approach to how they did the open world, but it kinda worked, as I got to know both regions very well. It's kinda like they designed a few small open worlds and it allowed them to have better level design and make the landscapes more memorable.

It's very refreshing to know my way around an open world without even looking at the map.
Yes for some reason the Junon map feels much better to traverse than the Grassland. The visuals design with the sunken boats and the huge cliffs is simply gorgeous and the more closed off level design means than by traversing the map you find out naturally nearly every point of interest without having to rely on the waypoints (just like you said).

Its just a joy really and I agree that the game is getting better and better, with a ton of small flourishes and fun ideas. I love it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s quite addicting doing all the stuff in grasslands but does it really matter?
How much side stuff is worth doing or needed not to be under levelled. I am 10 hours in and still have not crossed the swamp mind you….
The card game is simple and I don’t care for it. Played few matches and it’s addicting but I am not cards game guy.

I don’t have problem with the combat but I also don’t feel like I grasp it all. I understand to hold square for special attack and same in punisher mode. And different attack after roll + parrying. This is all fine.
But tolling never dodges any attacks, my synergies rarely are available and mostly greyed out. What is the cost of these ?!
I don’t understand folios. It’s just a skill tree?
And all the material is for me is assess, fire and wind. Just basic stuff.
I also leveled everyone’s weapon but I am not sure what it does. I rarely switch to other team members. It’s a lot of hassle to manage all their equipment and materia and skills and so on. It’s a bit much although no single element is very complicated.

I love the game. It’s almost 2:32 am as I am writing this. So it’s good. It just a bit over my head in some aspects.

Edit: my big skill issue is that team members don’t do almost anything. Their atb barely charges and usually only have enough for 1 cast in a fight.

Last edited:

Mindman

Man, they really gutted this thing visually, which is just a damn shame given how well other aspects are presented (music, art direction, gameplay). This deserved so much more from the visual tech side of things.
This. So this.

The game looks... Fine. But it could have been so much better..

paolo11

This post I super agree

Now mind you it’s still a very beautiful game and one of the best on last and this generation (CGI visuals gameplay mode) but there are low textures and weird lighting . Am I happy it’s the same visuals (like no improvement ) vs remake? Yes!!!! Because they are both beautiful.

JUST FIX the IQ on PERFORMANCE mode!!!

NeoLed

It’s quite addicting doing all the stuff in grasslands but does it really matter?
How much side stuff is worth doing or needed not to be under levelled. I am 10 hours in and still have not crossed the swamp mind you….
The card game is simple and I don’t care for it. Played few matches and it’s addicting but I am not cards game guy.

I don’t have problem with the combat but I also don’t feel like I grasp it all. I understand to hold square for special attack and same in punisher mode. And different attack after roll + parrying. This is all fine.
But tolling never dodges any attacks, my synergies rarely are available and mostly greyed out. What is the cost of these ?!
I also leveled everyone’s weapon but I am not sure what it does. I rarely switch to other team members. It’s a lot of hassle to manage all their equipment and materia and skills and so on. It’s a bit much although no single element is very complicated.

I love the game. It’s almost 2:32 am as I am writing this. So it’s good. It just a bit over my head in some aspects.

Edit: my big skill issue is that team members don’t do almost anything. Their atb barely charges and usually only have enough for 1 cast in a fight.
Use offensive Synergy skills (Block + face button) to build teammates ATB barss if you are rarely switching char.

Use abilities to gain synergy charge (5 block below atb bar). Some abilities didn't give you charge, read the tooltips

Use synergy abilities when you have enough synergy charge (0 atb bar cost) Both party members must have adequate charge

Last edited:
Golden Saucer question / spoiler
Do they seriously not have the event square play for the date??

Edit: NM. Derp.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I'm having a hard time clicking with Queensblood. I just don't get it. I can't beat the junon twins.

Advancing on the field is as important as racking up points... So balance strong cards with cards that have better "range".

By that I mean, you should be turning pawns into yours as quickly as possible, as I've won many difficult matches by simply advancing in a way that the opponent simply wasn't able to do anything an I just kept putting cards.

SkylineRKR

The bosses so far have been a bit of an annoyance to fight much like the first game, the Terror of the Deep boss especially where it straight up ignores the cutscenes on Limit breaks and teleports under the platform, theres literally nothing I can do about that, I did wait them out sometimes or do it on a stagger but still...

He's really easy if you have done all quests. Basically all you need to do is cast a single Thundara to pressure him. Cloud can go into the air, and Tifa can be launched. With cloud, use the Fire bolt blade ability when you have ATB.

You can also summon, or build to a synergy special.

The gameplay shits all over FF16. I wish FF16 didn’t exist. Actual RPG elements in a FF game is refreshing after playing FF16.

True. This game does everything better. There is nothing in FFXVI I would prefer, perhaps the more mature direction. But that alone can't save a game and besides a lot of story and character development goes to shit in that game anyway.

FFXVII Rebirth has more charm, more content, better combat, more variety, better dungeons, better side quest design and also a better story even though i wasn't a fan of many of the new additions set in Remake. The difference is staggering, but maybe not entirely fair since the XVI team might've worked on a much tighter schedule.

I'm having a hard time clicking with Queensblood. I just don't get it. I can't beat the junon twins.

Mulligan your 3+ pawn cards. Play with 1 pawn cards first, since those are only ones you can play at first. Build green pawns on the deck, for example start with the security officer in the middle row and work to the right. Play cards that have tiles that will overlap with your pawns, giving them second and eventuall third pawn so you can play level 2 and 3 cards. There are also cards that give bonuses to a tile, or reduce points of enemy cards in its vicinity etc. Try place a card that creates a pawn on the deck that isn't next to an enemy pawn so you can use it next round. The less pawns an enemy has, the less cards he or she can put down.

I struggled with the Junon twins too until I got all cards from the Grasslands and Junon vendor, and put those in my deck. A good deck would be a few of security officers and Archdragons, Cactuar, Mandragora and Titan to name a few. Once it clicks Queens blood isn't that tough, I recently won the tournament without too many retries.

Last edited:

It’s a pretty big info dump. I’m right around where you are but playing Charley’s tutorial battle on synergies helped me a lot. I didn’t realize where those little icons were and what they meant, but now that I am getting used to it I can see the appeal. It’s all a bit much for the small monster fights though, everything does too quick to do much. I expect the spongey boss types to be a better demonstration of all the mechanics working together cohesively.

Top Bottom