• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (part 1?) is on two Blu-Rays

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So they're going with FFVII Remake as the name?
No Cool Subtitle or anything, just Remake?
Also shouldn't they label this Part I or Episode I?

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really like the idea of fleshing out Midgar. Back in the day it always felt like Cloud was roped in last minute to this revolutionary stuff that he didn't actually have a stake in besides having known Tifa as kids. Giving them more time to be a real team running around Midgar with some highs and lows and all the narratives they tell themselves will do really well to build important bonds for the drama later on to be far more impactful. It might seem like Cloud actually knew Aerith for more than 3 days, you know?

Also, as wonderful as FFVII was for replay value, a lot of it was because the story was fed to you in chronologically random pieces and missable secret scenes. A lot of people probably wouldn't be able to accurately describe what happened in the story without some dedicated fan's help piecing it all together. The original was a very unique mishmash of vignettes with wildly changing styles and moods; it is not replicable. However, if creating a remake with a consistent and dramatic style, fleshing it out will provide the best opportunity for a weighty, emotional journey.

Personally, I loved FFXV (I played a late version, it just before the Royal Edition came out) and after experiencing that, I think they have what it takes to make this into the lengthy full-cast emotional journey that it needs to be.

Nymphae

Banned
I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. It really feels like they're doing it right. The tactical mode looks perfect, and the combat systems seem like they'll be fun. I am so ridiculously excited to play through this and see how they've remade every part of the world.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so much fucking bullshit hahah
but hey guys guys value!!!

it has 2 discs

danielberg

Neophyte
I really like the idea of fleshing out Midgar. Back in the day it always felt like Cloud was roped in last minute to this revolutionary stuff that he didn't actually have a stake in besides having known Tifa as kids. Giving them more time to be a real team running around Midgar with some highs and lows and all the narratives they tell themselves will do really well to build important bonds for the drama later on to be far more impactful. It might seem like Cloud actually knew Aerith for more than 3 days, you know?

Also, as wonderful as FFVII was for replay value, a lot of it was because the story was fed to you in chronologically random pieces and missable secret scenes. A lot of people probably wouldn't be able to accurately describe what happened in the story without some dedicated fan's help piecing it all together. The original was a very unique mishmash of vignettes with wildly changing styles and moods; it is not replicable. However, if creating a remake with a consistent and dramatic style, fleshing it out will provide the best opportunity for a weighty, emotional journey.

Personally, I loved FFXV (I played a late version, it just before the Royal Edition came out) and after experiencing that, I think they have what it takes to make this into the lengthy full-cast emotional journey that it needs to be.
Its all well and good but what does "fleshing out midgar" actually mean in practice.. they basically can only add fluff not needed story beats (reminder the reason why they split it up was because they didnt want to cut anything... but now they ad filler?)or sidequest.
I also dont consider shoving sephiroth in my face throughout midgar as "fleshing out midgar" or even particular engrossing/worth the time, he was not seen once in midgar in FF7 but its to soon to say how they handle this and if they overdo it lol

Fbh

I interpreted it as "The entire part 1 ,which comes in 2 discs, will all be dedicated to Midgar".

I hope they don't screw this up. That presentation really sold me on the gameplay but a lot can go wrong trying to stretch a 5 hours segment into dozens of hours of content across 2 discs. Specially with Nomura ,and his awful taste in storytelling and writing, in charge

wzy

The thing to always keep in mind about anything FF7R-related is that SE did not become a good developer overnight just because they decided to finally green light the damn thing. This isn't a "return to form" situation. It took two decades of searching for greener pastures for them to become as bad as they are now--which is bad enough that they need to go back to the nostalgia mines and dig up some shit from their glory days instead of making something new--so there's no reason to think the most cynical project in the history of the medium is going to re-ignite old passions. This is Todd Howard re-making Fallout 1, so your expectations should reflect that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The thing to always keep in mind about anything FF7R-related is that SE did not become a good developer overnight just because they decided to finally green light the damn thing. This isn't a "return to form" situation. It took two decades of searching for greener pastures for them to become as bad as they are now--which is bad enough that they need to go back to the nostalgia mines and dig up some shit from their glory days instead of making something new--so there's no reason to think the most cynical project in the history of the medium is going to re-ignite old passions. This is Todd Howard re-making Fallout 1, so your expectations should reflect that.
What if I disagree about them being bad?

Larxia

"Two blu ray worth of content" doesn't mean anything at all, and I'm not sure why people are excited by this.
The size of the game doesn't reflect its content at all, only its data weight, you can have a 200 hours game that is only 2 gb, and a 2 hours game that is 100gb, if you are going to use only 4096 pixels or even higher textures, and have tons of pre rendered videos in 4K, it quickly makes an extremely large size.
I'm not saying it's the case here, but a lack of optimziation can be the reason for a super large game, so it's not always a positive thing.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
New Characters render

TDOjGUx.jpg

d5OakHO.jpg

6GKVnhF.jpg

NhaTUZh.jpg

Pallas

So the first part(part 1) of FFVII remake will be two discs, I guess we can probably say part 2 will be that as well if not more. Hopefully after installing, we won’t have to disc swap.

Cactuar doesn’t arrive until late into the game. Possibly even the halfway point.

How do you know that, just out of curiosity?

bitbydeath

So the first part(part 1) of FFVII remake will be two discs, I guess we can probably say part 2 will be that as well if not more. Hopefully after installing, we won’t have to disc swap.

How do you know that, just out of curiosity?

I just looked it up and it was on disk one but later on in it.

Still quite a bit on from midgar though

bitbydeath

The first part consists of 2 BluRays.
The next one, or the following ones, will probably have as many BluRays (whether they are 2 or 4).

Disc three was really short on the original so hopefully this will only arrive in two parts total. 4 Blu-rays of content should be plenty.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’m also confused.

It’s either: the game is 2 blu rays, one of them is midgar, the other is the rest of the game and it’s all released March 3rd.

The game is 2 blu rays, both cover midgar only, and the rest of the game will be released in other releases.

It’s just one disc, which is midgar only. And another disc at another time will be released as the rest of the game.

Not sure which one it is.

EDMIX

I just dont understand how they are not fitting Midgar on 1 disc. Plenty of huge open world games bigger than Midgar are on 1 disc. Apparently they are making Midgar massive?

"Plenty of huge open world games bigger than Midgar" ?? When did you play the remake?

Reactions: TLZ

D.Final

Banned
Disc three was really short on the original so hopefully this will only arrive in two parts total. 4 Blu-rays of content should be plenty.

True.
If he had only 2 parts it would be beautiful.
But I also think that, in light of this presentation, their ambitions are probably richer and bigger than this, probably.

Because, even from this Final Fantasy VII Remake, it can be seen how a section of the game, in this case Midgard, has been expanded in a considerably larger way than the original.
(in fact it is likely that we could visit all the Shinra mako reactors)

And it's so rich, that only 2 BluRays were needed to make this game section of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
(where a game like RDR 2 is also made in 2 BluRay)

So, taking this into account, I think the (total) game of Final Fantasy VII Remake could be done in 3/4 parts too.
(but each part will be composed, probably, of at least 2 BluRays, for a total of 6/8 BluRay for the whole game of Remake)

The important thing is that each part is totally faithful to the original for the story, and that it greatly enriches all the bought narrative of the story and the lore of the characters of the game universe.

If so, Final Fantasy VII Remake could easily become the biggest game that has ever been made in over 30 years.

Then, I also hope that the game will have as few parts as possible.
(to me it would be enough that they all come out on PS4 at least)

bitbydeath

Can you link me? I want to read! :messenger_beaming:

Might be more information.

I’m just looking through the original stuff.

Cactuars don’t show up until Corel Prison.

Chapter 15 of disc one.
Chocobo riding occurs shortly after that too.

Pallas

I’m just looking through the original stuff.

Cactuars don’t show up until Corel Prison.

Chapter 15 of disc one.
Chocobo riding occurs shortly after that too.

OH I thought you meant you knew when that dlc summon would be at in game 😂😂

Because otherwise Cactaur isn’t a summon in FFVII original. He was great and frustrating to get in FFVIII tho.

bitbydeath

OH I thought you meant you knew when that dlc summon would be at in game 😂😂

Because otherwise Cactaur isn’t a summon in FFVII original. He was great and frustrating to get in FFVIII tho.

Yeah, I just figure the summon would be located around those enemies.

Ar¢tos

"Two blu ray worth of content" doesn't mean anything at all, and I'm not sure why people are excited by this.
The size of the game doesn't reflect its content at all, only its data weight, you can have a 200 hours game that is only 2 gb, and a 2 hours game that is 100gb, if you are going to use only 4096 pixels or even higher textures, and have tons of pre rendered videos in 4K, it quickly makes an extremely large size.
I'm not saying it's the case here, but a lack of optimziation can be the reason for a super large game, so it's not always a positive thing.
Obviously a reference to bluray movies. Since a movie is about 2h long, it means 4 entire hours of gameplay!!

Still day 1 for me!
Day 1 when the bundle of Part 1 and Part 2 goes on sale for under 30$

GenericUser

Day 1 when the bundle of Part 1 and Part 2 goes on sale for under 30$

I wish I had this level of self control.

Problem is (and I'm not even kidding): by the time square finishes the full remake, I could be dead. Run over by a car, die from an illness or whatever. Life can be over pretty fast and if there is one game I want to play before I die, it's the remake.

Also, if they continue at this pace, the remake will have more then 2 parts. Could very well be 4 or more seperate parts if they give every location in the game this level of attention.

Ar¢tos

I wish I had this level of self control.

Problem is (and I'm not even kidding): by the time square finishes the full remake, I could be dead. Run over by a car, die from an illness or whatever. Life can be over pretty fast and if there is one game I want to play before I die, it's the remake.

Also, if they continue at this pace, the remake will have more then 2 parts. Could very well be 4 or more seperate parts if they give every location in the game this level of attention.
It's only a game. Don't make games so important in your life.
The last game I bought day one was God of War, and since then I bought maybe 2 games on sale for under 20€. There are games I want to play, but if I don't get to play them, it's OK, there are so many other fun things to do.
... I guess I'm not a really serious gamer... (i split my free time between gaming, reading and learning french/Swedish/German)

Andyliini

Well, they technically said two Blu-Rays worth of data. There could as well be one disk in the box and the rest you have to download. Not that they would do that, but you never know with todays publishers.

Ichisuke

Neo Member
Yeah, I just figure the summon would be located around those enemies.
As they already told you, Cactuar is not an "original" summon (well even Carbuncle) of the game, also the original Chocobo summon was available as soon as you left Midgar (actually when you reach the Chocobo farm and it's actually the 1st summon you get).
So in the original game using summons inside Midgar was a no-go (the only way was cheating with action replay, save editor etc).
Now they probably change the first part of the game and you can find/use summons inside Midgar (it would be pointless to release summons dlc that you cannot use) or the first part of the game actually ends way after Midgar where you can use the summons.
But still all those dlc summons are probably less powerful ones/support ones (for example Carbuncle was most of the time a supporting summon and the little Chocobo is probably not the original one) and they don't ruin the game experience by overpowering you and you can just use those right away from the start.

Top Bottom