• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (part 1?) is on two Blu-Rays

plushyp

Can someone explain why the faces looked much better in Final Fantasy XV? I can't place it but something feels off about the face models over here.

danielberg

Neophyte
I hope all those episode haters eat some crow now.

It was so obviuos the scale of the game was the reason.

Well yeah it was obvious it would need to be more than one game and yet SE is undermining their own narrative in this "we have to make it episodic so that we wont have to cut anything" to "lets add a bunch of fluff to midgar that wasnt in the original to extend the lenght".
But whatever the game already looks insane and if they can pull off a better longer midgar and make it interesting... maybe it works.

Last edited:
Is the title of the game definitive? I mean, if you call it "FFVII Remake", shouldn't it be the remake of the whole game? Sounds quite misleading to me.

sublimit

Banned
So is Part 1 only Midgar? If that's the case then i'm very disappointed and i might skip it for at least a part1-2 compilation.

caffeware

Banned
Watch parts 3,4, and 5 be worked by a b-team, while Nomura and co move to other projects.

This game will never be finished, with endless dlc, just like xv.

Barnabot

SE have you heard about the term "Overkill"?

HjlsnwB.gif

Not that one above.

But what you are doing with this remake instead?

• New tactical mode in (optional)
  • Enemies have a focus gauge; if filled, you can stagger your attacks for bonus damage
  • Filling ATB allows you to use Tactical Mode, game slows down and allows you to plan to use abilities
  • Item usage is limited
  • FFVII Remake will be split into 2 Blu-Ray discs worth of content with Part 1 consisting entirely of Midgar
  • Stagger mechanic from Final Fantasy XIII is in
  • FFVII Remake will expand on the story of Midgar

Holy Shit the Stagger gauge was amazing in XIII! Might check this out now.

caffeware

Banned
Im sorry wHAT

[2019年6月11日12時25分修正]
記事掲載当初、”Blu-ray2枚”と記載していましたが、正しくは“Blu-ray2枚相当のボリューム”でした。読者並びに関係者の皆様にご迷惑をおかけしたことをお詫びいたします。

[12:25 correction on June 11, 2019]
At the beginning of the article, "Blu-ray 2" was described, but correctly it was "Blu-ray 2 equivalent" volume. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to our readers and related parties.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/11177771.html

Apparently, Kitase said "dual-layer Blu-ray disc." Someone mistranslated it to "2 Blu-ray discs" along the way.

Garnox

I read it as, 2 blu-ray disc worth of content (a lot) put into one...episode?...meaning one installment? I'll be surprised if it's the whole game. I've yet to see a official confirmation on it being JUST the Midgar portion of the game, or did I miss it?

DonF

I expect no swapping given that everything is installed. Like, one disc is just data/install, then the other is for playing/authentication.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I now believe this game will be 4 parts.

Part 1 - Midgar through Motor Cycle Chase (ends with the group staring out at the vast landscape)
Part 2 - Outskirts of Midgar/Kalm area. End at Golden Saucer or Rocket Town.
Part 3 - Golden Saucer or Rocket Town - North Crater/Weapons explosion
Part 4 - Time Jump after North Carter - End.

I just see no way to do this as 3 parts given Midgar at best was 15% of the original game. Its going to be so lopsided if Midgar is insane huge but places like Juno are super condenced and tiny.

My even bigger fear now is that this might not even be 3 or 4 parts, but TONS of mini parts, like 8 - 10 parts slowly released. Creating the most disjointed pile of shit ever.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Part 1 - Midgar through Motor Cycle Chase (ends with the group staring out at the vast landscape)

I just see no way to do this as 3 parts given Midgar at best was 15% of the original game. Its going to be so lopsided if Midgar is insane huge but places like Juno are super condenced and tiny.

My even bigger fear now is that this might not even be 3 or 4 parts, but TONS of mini parts, like 8 - 10 parts slowly released. Creating the most disjointed pile of shit ever.

I’m wondering if they will just keep stretching it out if it is hugely profitable.

1 or 2 games is ideal. 3 is starting to stretch it. Beyond that is just way too much.

Cross posting from another thread but I don't get this marketing campaign at all.

This game looks to be shaping up great but what is with the completely terrible and illegible marketing? Everywhere I look I'm seeing this announced as "Final Fantasy VII Remake" releases March 2020. The pics of the different editions all state you get the "Full Game" etc.

Is there any real information anywhere on how this game is going to be released? I see folks saying it is still episodic in which case this marketing makes zero sense.

D.Final

Banned
Maybe the second disc is just a placebo?

Most likely the second BluRay is dedicated to the additional Gb of application data, as was the case with RDR2.

From my point of view, I think it's likely that Final Fantasy VII Remake can have about 3/4 parts.
(about a year of maximum release distance for each of them)

Furthermore, each of these parts can consist of 2 or more BluRays.
This means that the game will be divided in a very narrative way, probably.
(creating real new narrative arcs for the characters, and for the lore of the game, but keeping as a base the classic story of Final Fantasy VII)

I hope all the parts come out on PS4 at least.
So that you don't have to divide an already divided experience even on other different platforms.

Dark Oni

5 years later and we're only getting midgar when is the rest ~80% of the game going to be done :messenger_neutral: by 2035?
i dont trust the quality of all the parts being the same and also they might just give up making all the parts if its taking too long or losing popularity from one part to the next

the way they're only calling it final fantasy 7 remake a lot of people will be fooled into thinking its the whole game (probably squares intention) and be disappointed when it only ends at midgar

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm sure they meant the whole game will be 2 Blu-rays
Which is about right Migar was the whole of Disc 1 in the original

base

Banned
Well. i think Midgar is one of the harderst parts to adapt, and one of the most that needed more love, imo.
But i have to wonder how many parts in total will this remake have lol
Midgar is definitely the hardest part but in the meantime they will probably expand some cities to larger scale. Wutai was pretty small. Along with other town.

so hows the leveling gonna work for this? is everyone gonna be level 99 before part 2 comes out because they just grind out of boredom after beating the game?
I mean there was nothing stopping you from doing that in the original

Omniverse7

Neo Member
I mean there was nothing stopping you from doing that in the original

that is true but at least in the original you could move forward with the story whereas here, you are stuck in midgar until part 2 comes out

that is true but at least in the original you could move forward with the story whereas here, you are stuck in midgar until part 2 comes out
Yeah I know I'm just fuckin around. My guess is some sort of level cap or something. They are going to have to figure out what to do with money and items too, now that I think about it.

Red Dead 2 had 2 discs, so I'd prefer 2 discs, compared to just 1 disc and then a massive download.

Crazy to think they are making Midgar into a full length game, cannot wait to see all the extra stuff and changes they are making.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Midgar
Kalm
Nibelheim (Flashback)
Chocobo Ranch
Swamp & Cave
Fort Condor
Yuffie Forest
Junon (parade)
Boat
Costa Del Sol
Mountains and train tracks and shit
Gold Saucer
Zack's Village
Cosmo Canyon
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Temple of the Ancients
Forgotten Capital
---Disc 1---
Arctic mountains and shit
More arctic shit
Junon (Imprisoned)
That one town with Cloud in a wheelchair
Train chase
Fort Condor strategy battle
Underwater stuff
Rocket Town (space launch)
Return to Midgar
---Disc 2---
Northern Crater
---Disc 3---

Just a reminder to give people an idea of how the discs are split up in the original.

D.Final

Banned
Midgar
Kalm
Nibelheim (Flashback)
Chocobo Ranch
Swamp & Cave
Fort Condor
Yuffie Forest
Junon (parade)
Boat
Costa Del Sol
Gold Saucer
Zack's Village
Cosmo Canyon
Nibelheim
Rocket Town
Wutai
Temple of the Ancients
Forgotten Capital
---Disc 1---
Arctic mountains and shit
More arctic shit
Junon (Imprisoned)
Train chase
Underwater stuff
Return to Midgar
---Disc 2---
Northern Crater
---Disc 3---

Just a reminder to give people an idea of how the discs are split up in the original.

It will be interesting to see how many parts will be divided.

And also how many new contents will be added to history, characters and Lore :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Pagusas

Elden Member

Part 1
Midgar
Nibelheim (Flashback) I think this will be moved to Midgar for pacing issues

Part 2
Kalm
Chocobo Ranch
Swamp & Cave
Fort Condor
Yuffie Forest
Junon (parade) (Much bigger in scope and size)
Boat

Part 3
Costa Del Sol (Much bigger in scope and size)
Gold Saucer (Much bigger in scope and size)
Zack's Village (Much bigger in scope and size)
Cosmo Canyon (Much bigger in scope and size)
Nibelheim

Part 4
Rocket Town (Much bigger in scope and size)
Wutai (Much bigger in scope and size)
Temple of the Ancients
Forgotten Capital
Arctic mountains and Norther Crator

Part 5
Junon (Imprisoned)
Train chase (Much bigger in scope and size)
Underwater stuff

Part 6
Return to Midgar
Northern Crater (massively increased in size)

Thats my best guess.

Last edited:

Griffon

My guess is only Midgar will be bigger. The rest of the world will remain of about the same size as their original versions. The game will be in 2 or 3 parts, no more.

I'm afrait Midgar will be bloated and full of filler.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
What is 100% certain is that, probably, when Final Fantasy VII Remake is complete, it will become one of the most colossal, rich, complex, and remarkably big video games that have ever been created in the last 30/40 years :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Top Bottom