• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Khrno said:
It's a shame that SE had to resort to this to fit the game in just 3 discs. Although the question is, did they really do it to not go over 3 discs, or was it too difficult for them to actually do a decent porting job and gave the 3 discs reason as an excuse?

A few pages ago someone mentioned that the actual game data for FFXIII comes in at under 7 gigs. The rest is CG movie.

I'm not the most technical guy, but is it plausible that they compressed everything heavily and that is why it is such lower resolution? If so, they should have gone 4 discs like Lost Odyssey and we'd have gotten a better product.

Synless

Kagari said:
Developers always throw around terms like 'identical.' They're not going to come out and say 'Hey, one version of our game looks better than the other!'
I know this as I see it all the time. I thought SE was a higher caliber company an figured they wouldn't spin the bullshit like we wouldn't figure it out. I expected negligable differences not a massive res drop and worse textures. Guess I was wrong.

Synless said:
Wow, I didn't think this would have been a poor port after all that "they are identical" talk. Guess 360 owners lose out this time after all.
Well, I'm still going to play it on 360, but it won't be as good as what the PS3 owners are getting.

fernoca

Also, it seems Meristation recieved those Xbox 360 screens from Square apparently, so maybe the intern at Square-Europe is joking around too.. :p ..a few people has been asking about the blurry quality of the pics over there, but no response yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Synless said:
I know this as I see it all the time. I thought SE was a higher caliber company an figured they wouldn't spin the bullshit like we wouldn't figure it out. I expected negligable differences not a massive res drop and worse textures. Guess I was wrong.

:lol What else has S-E done this generation on consoles...

Awntawn

Kagari said:
Developers always throw around terms like 'identical.' They're not going to come out and say 'Hey, one version of our game looks better than the other!'
though some do feel the need to put a disclaimer during loadup to make sure that everyone knows that they are not responsible for the steaming pile of shit you are about to experience ;3

Shadowlink said:
Well, I'm still going to play it on 360, but it won't be as good as what the PS3 owners are getting.
Same here. It won't matter that much to me if the only difference is resolution, since I play on a 26" SDTV. If it runs smooth than we'll be fine. :D

Pooya

Khrno said:
It's a shame that SE had to resort to this to fit the game in just 3 discs. Although the question is, did they really do it to not go over 3 discs, or was it too difficult for them to actually do a decent porting job and gave the 3 discs reason as an excuse?
Considering the game data of PS3 version is only 6.8GB, this is clearly an excuse for their piss poor porting job, 360 hardware is more than capable of that blurry mess cutscenes.

More interesting is this rrecent article about Last Remnant performance issueshere

Chief Technology Officer Juilen Merceron said in an interview with Gama: “One of the traps with middleware is that some game teams believe that, because they got this middleware, maybe they need less programmers on their team, or maybe they don’t need that many skilled programmers.

“Sometimes middleware is just something that a studio or a game team is going to use because they don’t find the right people.

“Some people use middleware because they just don’t find talent, and I think that replacing talent with middleware is the first mistake that some game teams can make because, when it is too late — when you realize that actually the middleware won’t be able to provide the features that you need — then basically you don’t have anyone that is able to solve the problem on your team,” he further added

I think S-E just put the LR team on 360 porting job, that explains PS3 version cancellation.

Synless

Kagari said:
:lol What else has S-E done this generation on consoles...
Nothing much, I just expected better of them. *removes blinders* it doesn't matter to me much as I was always getting the ps3 version, but I have sympathy for the 360 owners as I know what its like to play the bad port.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Synless said:
Nothing much, I just expected better of them. *removes blinders* it doesn't matter to me much as I was always getting the ps3 version, but I have sympathy for the 360 owners as I know what its like to play the bad port.

For handheld games, sure. They've proven themselves there.

Oli

As someone who plays their games on an SD TV, should all of this nitpicking even matter? I seriously doubt I'd be able to see the difference even if I owned a PS3.

Mr.NiceGuy

Wish to see the responses of GAF members who said they consider every multi-platform game a 360 exclusive ( because of the Bayoneta port story), what do they have to say now ? Is FF 13 also a 360 exclusive to them ? or will they be men to their words and not buy it since it's obviously an inferior port ?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oli said:
As someone who plays their games on an SD TV, should all of this nitpicking even matter? I seriously doubt I'd be able to see the difference even if I owned a PS3.
Probably not, but it helps someone who is looking into getting one in the future choose the version that provides the best experience.

Mr.NiceGuy said:
Wish to see the responses of GAF members who said they consider every multi-platform game a 360 exclusive ( because of the Bayoneta port story), what do they have to say now ? Is FF 13 also a 360 exclusive to them ? or will they be men to their words and not buy it since it's obviously an inferior port ?

oh man you totally showed those xbot's up! high five bro!

Oli

InfiniteNine said:
Probably not, but it helps someone who is looking into getting one in the future choose the version that provides the best experience.

Yeah, definitely. I'd buy the PS3 version anyway because of the single disk. But at this point I have no intentions of buying a PS3 or an HD TV for that matter, so I'll just stick with the 360 version.

Mr.NiceGuy said:
Get that system wars nonsense out of here.

Vinci

Danish
Mr.NiceGuy said:

What the hell...?

Mr.NiceGuy said:

Man that hurt...

fernoca

Mr.NiceGuy said:
:lol
Well, that can go many ways..
1. Many of the ones that considered the PS3 version of Bayonetta as "inferior" never played the PS3 version (which looks great, plays great and even got a patch to install the game and reduce load times)
2. Anyone with half a brain knew that the PS3 version of FFXIII was the one to get if you had both consoles (or only a PS3 duh :p )..but if you had an Xbox 360 only, there's no reason to not get this game..because both play and are technically identical.

In the end there are fans..and there are fans.

As I said earlier, there are many people I know that as of today stil lsay:
1. The Xbox 360 version of FFXIII wil lbe in 4-5 discs.
2. That the PS3 version is better because of 1080p movies, even when they are not going to play it at 1080p..but some at 720p and even 480i.
3. Feel some..hatred towars the fact that the game was ported to the Xbox 360 and can't even...accept or ..remotely think that the port can be good; so they'll look for any screen shot or video as proof. (and with the latest batch of pics from Square, they are doing just fine :p )

Ignorance, loyalty and fanboyism can go many ways. Is better sometimes to just..move on.

h3ro

fernoca said:
:lol
Well, that can go many ways..
1. Many of the ones that considered the PS3 version of Bayonetta as "inferior" never played the PS3 version (which looks great, plays great and even got a patch to install the game and reduce load times)
2. Anyone with half a brain knew that the PS3 version of FFXIII was the one to get if you had both consoles (or only a PS3 duh :p )..but if you had an Xbox 360 only, there's no reason to not get this game..because both play and are technically identical.

In the end there are fans..and there are fans.

As I said earlier, there are many people I know that as of today stil lsay:
1. The Xbox 360 version of FFXIII wil lbe in 4-5 discs.
2. That the PS3 version is better because of 1080p movies, even when they are not going to play it at 1080p..but some at 720p and even 480i.
3. Feel some..hatred towars the fact that the game was ported to the Xbox 360 and can't even...accept or ..remotely think that the port can be good; so they'll look for any screen shot or video as proof. (and with the latest batch of pics from Square, they are doing just fine :p )

Ignorance, loyalty and fanboyism can go many ways. Is better sometimes to just..move on.

You're obviously not an expert.

Jonsoncao

Banned
electroshockwave said:
There's been a few games like Mirror's Edge and Burnout Paradise where I think the PS3 has got the edge. And there's some late releases like Red Alert 3 and Sigma 2 have improved graphics on the PS3.
you are misinformed sir, 360's Mirror's Edge is superior with better framerate and 2XAA vs no AA(similar in other DICE games like BF1943)

while implementation of some special effects and AA needs extra effort not like generating geometry you only need the coordinates of the vertices, few devs are willing to waste time on a version which sells less

Final Fantasy XIII apparently will sell more on PS3 platform, I hardly believe S-E would put extra effort in 360 version to optimize the outcome(since 360 GPU is more powerful than PS3's GPU theoritically in most depts, fillrate with MSAA on, shader processing speed, triangle generated per sec etc, well except texture filtering)

Anyway neither 360 crowd appreciate the effort M$ put in promoting FFXIII, nor S-E cares FFXIII too much, there is no reason owning an inferior port now unless you want achievements, in economics theory, wise customers always maximize their gains by making the best decision while fully informed, so buying an inferior port = either not wise/ or not fully informed

fernoca said:
2. Anyone with half a brain knew that the PS3 version of FFXIII was the one to get if you had both consoles

I didn't actually. Maybe it's just the past experiences with multiplats but I honestly thought they would be at least identical. Time to preorder the PLAYSTATION®3 version then.

Also I got so much Lulz from E3 08 that I kinda wanted to play it especially on the 360. :lol

Erasus

Peff said:
Some shoots really look off on the 360 though

http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_...w4b7d43c0b42b7/final_fantasy_xiii_360_029.jpg
http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_...cw4b7d450ed72e8/final_fantasy_xiii_ps3_04.jpg

The enemies and ground look the same but the characters seem to have different lightning. Oh, well.

360 looks much blurrier to me in those shots. Really upscaled from a lower resolution, other than that I see on difference. The lightning looks a bit diffrenet in the 360 shot too.

But that ground texture (both versions) oh man, I just want to go into options and turn on 8xAF! (S-E PC version plis, I want Crystal engin in 1920x1080!)
I´ll get the game on PS3, but I feel sorry for 360-only owners. I hope its not going to be like Bayonetta was for us PS3 owners...

Oyashiro

This is absolutely disgusting on Square's part! How DARE they make the not-even-planned 360 version inferior! I was gonna get the 360 version because I told myself it would be better, but now, I'm definitely gonna throw my 360 out the window, spend 300 bucks on a PS3, and play it like it's meant to be played! And also I will knock over some magazine racks while I'm fuming at GameStop!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oyashiro said:
This is absolutely disgusting on Square's part! How DARE they make the not-even-planned 360 version inferior! I was gonna get the 360 version because I told myself it would be better, but now, I'm definitely gonna throw my 360 out the window, spend 300 bucks on a PS3, and play it like it's meant to be played! And also I will knock over some magazine racks while I'm fuming at GameStop!
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!

TTP said:
This thread will soon need some bishoptl I'm afraid.
Final Fantasy games drive the internet crazy and this honestly isn't going to stop until maybe a week after the game comes out... at which point battle lines will be drawn over whether it's the greatest ever or the worst ever and those arguments will go on for about a year or so. I'm hoping that at least this will mean the end of FF12 hate on GAF.

Mr.NiceGuy

Aljosa said:
Get that system wars nonsense out of here.

I know my post sounded a little stupid and I'm sorry for that but system wars is what makes a small issue a big deal to people. the 360 ver of FF 13 is missing a couple of pixels so what ? is this going to shatter your gaming world ? same thing with the PS3 Bayoneta port.

Some people are just overreacting.

Kagari said:
duckroll no longer cares.
I hope he at least enforces some amount of cleanliness in the official NA thread whenever you post it... and at some point it might be best to get back to having a fresh Fabula Nova Crystalis thread for Versus/Agito discussion. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom