• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

I mean, they promised to relax DPS checks and so they did, and now they're promising to relax the dances as well so it's gonna be pretty much FCOB.
Final turn could be a thing like it always is but rotations are hard apparently so

Edit: Actually now that I look at it he specifically mentions that "coordination-related difficulty" will be lowered.

I'm mostly just laughing that he's getting to use the same response two tiers in a row and people are cheering it; hopefully it works out for them, but if not I look forward to promises that the 4.0 raid will be more like Coil.

yaffi

Talking about skill bloat and full action bars, I really like what Blade & Soul does. Switching skills/entire action bars automatically based on the situation/combo/stance sounds like something that would work here as well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm mostly just laughing that he's getting to use the same response two tiers in a row and people are cheering it; hopefully it works out for them, but if not I look forward to promises that the 4.0 raid will be more like Coil.

DPS checks too hard, nerf DPS checks.
Which is what they did and tried dances instead.
Dances with rotations too hard, nerf dances.
And now we're back at FCOB level, and I've said many times that FCOB level is perfect.

I just don't understand why we had to go through an entire expansion of this garbage when they had all the ARR experience they needed.

iammeiam

And now we're back at FCOB level, and I've said many times that FCOB level is perfect.

I just don't understand why we had to go through an entire expansion of this garbage when they had all the ARR experience they needed.

I still don't understand how they looked at what was actually causing problems in Gordias and thought Midas would work. Despite what people were claiming, dances in Gordias were a problem. I spent most of the tier objecting that people were failing the dance in A3S but were blaming the DPS checks despite never making it intact to a spot where DPS was failing. Literally one night in A6S was enough to realize it was going to go over with the community like a lead balloon.

They had the information, they just ignored it and went down a silly path.

Pachimari

Maybe we've just become good at the game, I don't know. I was solo healing that fight week 1 as a WHM. That being said, that portion of the fight is one of the more exciting things I've had to heal in all of 3.0's content, which is a little bit sad.

You'll want to level up Lancer to get Invigorate and Blood for Blood and Pugilist for the rest of your cross-class abilities. Remember to unlock Bard at level 30.
So I'm gonna go to the Lancer guild and work up my lancer skills?

I'm currently lvl 19, but I'll keep in mind to unlock Bard as soon as I hit 30.

ebil

Armchair raiders complaining on Reddit and the OF that raiding was too easy got us there.

I honestly don't know anyone who actually was raiding through Final Coil who complained about the difficulty in a serious way. People want more content to go through, not content that drags for 6 months because it's difficult just to make a point or something.

So I'm gonna go to the Lancer guild and work up my lancer skills?

I'm currently lvl 19, but I'll keep in mind to unlock Bard as soon as I hit 30.
Yeah, you need Pugilist at level 15 to unlock BRD anyway. Don't sweat it too much as far as cross-class skills go though, they're nice to have during leveling (especially Invigorate), but they're not game-breaking either. You'll want them at level 60 if you want to perform reasonably well though.

I wonder if for Scholar they're just gonna hit the power of their DPS really hard so that Scholars feel less inclined to use they dps or if they'll get nothing but heal/buff/Fairy skills giving them less incentive to go dps because then they aren't using their healing skills to their fullest.

iammeiam

I honestly don't know anyone who actually was raiding through Final Coil who complained about the difficulty in a serious way. People want more content to go through, not content that drags for 6 months because it's difficult just to make a point or something.

I think the one feeds into the other. The easier something is, the sooner people clear, the sooner they're left wanting more to do. Given their inability to produce more meaningful content, they tried to extend the life of the existing tiny pool by making it take longer. Savage SCoB was possibly one of the best ideas they had, but they took the wrong lessons from why people liked it and why nobody did it.

Enlarging that pool of content is what I keep reading interviews hoping to see promised for 4.0. Not only would that mean more to do in general, it would mute the impact of inevitable missteps in balance.

I wonder if for Scholar they're just gonna hit the power of their DPS really hard so that Scholars feel less inclined to use they dps or if they'll get nothing but heal/buff/Fairy skills giving them less incentive to go dps because then they aren't using their healing skills to their fullest.
It's more likely they'll break Eos' legs so the SCH needs to actually heal.

ebil

And nerf BS skills like Indomitability.

I think the one feeds into the other. The easier something is, the sooner people clear, the sooner they're left wanting more to do. Given their inability to produce more meaningful content, they tried to extend the life of the existing tiny pool by making it take longer. Savage SCoB was possibly one of the best ideas they had, but they took the wrong lessons from why people liked it and why nobody did it.

Enlarging that pool of content is what I keep reading interviews hoping to see promised for 4.0. Not only would that mean more to do in general, it would mute the impact of inevitable missteps in balance.
Savage SCoB happened at a great time as well. Giving hardcore people something to do during odd patches was a brilliant idea in terms of content pacing IMO. Not that I really can speak a great deal about it as I was unsubbed during 2.3 and missed the train, but I'm sad they never replicated it. Odd patches feel so dull.

ebil

Surely you mean Deployment Tactics
No, Indomitability. SCH has no business having a 400 potency instant AOE heal on a 30s CD. It literally breaks mechanics that you were supposed to deal with such as Protean Wave in A3s, and makes things like the last series of Sizzlesparks as Searing Wind runs out a joke to deal with in A7s.

Deployment Tactics is OP as well, but it doesn't break things as much as Indomitability does. It's something the devs can account for when they design fights because of its CD.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies to the person who sent the (re)app earlier and the tells, I logged in this morning before work and forgot to leave! You're back in now, though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How long do the yokai watch minions take to acquire altogether? I heard the weapons are worse to get?

How long do the yokai watch minions take to acquire altogether? I heard the weapons are worse to get?

You get a Yokai Medal after every FATE you complete with the Watch equipped, so it's just a process of doing enough FATEs to have enough. The price of a minion rises after you've gotten a few, but it's not too bad to get them all. The weapons are a lot harder since the legendary medals have a relatively low drop rate, and are only worth it if you really want the extra-special Whisper mount you get for getting all the weapons.

Valor

Well techincally he didn't mention specific turns, A8S is definitely as difficult as two entire raids!
Not sure if serious, but I'll take the bait. No it isn't. It's not even as difficult as A4S was.

Because people wanted things to be more difficult, so they decided to tighten the difficulty while adding in brand new stuff that they didn't have data on. Like the new rotations that they're blaming. Growing pains~

While I do agree FCoB was a great balance of difficulty/fun, I also really think Midas is a great raid tier but it's tuned a bit too tightly for a more general populace.

iammeiam

Savage SCoB happened at a great time as well. Giving hardcore people something to do during odd patches was a brilliant idea in terms of content pacing IMO. Not that I really can speak a great deal about it as I was unsubbed during 2.3 and missed the train, but I'm sad they never replicated it. Odd patches feel so dull.

It was conceptually just a really smart move that never quite clicked with the larger playerbase. Offering only titles from SCoB Savage was a mistake, but with Heavensward's changes to gearing they've actually created a pretty perfect avenue to give odd-patch-Savage some rewards. Do raid Normal and HM in the even patches, then drop Savage in odd patches with gear equivalent to the next tier's Normal/Crafted iLevel (hell, give the weapon a 5 iLevel bump even, who cares, the next tier's tome weapon would still beat it) alongside the 24-man. Stick the tier's mount or minion in there, too, maybe make stuff glow. It's a small progression boost/escape from having to farm the next tier on Normal for gear for people who can do it, not a huge deal for those that can't, and gives both casual and less casual players something to look forward to every single patch.

Valor

I'm sure clearing it with the greatest group ever had something to do w/ it
Aside from this shitter drg we had to carry, yes.

Idk how your suppose to teach the complex rotations. Like my blackmage is like:
swiftcast
Sharpcast
Enochian
Raging strikes
Thunder 3
Thunder 3
Fey lines
Fire 3
Fire 4 fire 4 fire 4
Blizzard 3
Blizzard 4

Repeat from fire 3 and add thunder 3s when needed.

Hey so, contributing again to this discussion about rotations being complicated. This one is incredibly wrong for doing a correct black mage rotation. It actually speaks to the problem of skill bloat and having too many attacks and not really understanding how best to use them all. BLM Rotato more typically resembles

Sharpcast
Ley Lines
>Fire 1
Enochian
>Fire 3
Raging Strikes
[Potion]
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Fire 1
Swiftcast
>Fire 4
Convert
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Blizzard 3
>Blizzard 4
>Thunder 1

And then you repeat
>Fire 3
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Fire 1
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Blizzard 3
>Blizzard 4
>Thunder 1

Twice before doing a new Enochian with Sharpcast
F1>F4>F4>F4>F3>F4>B3>B4>T1> repeat above rotato

Some would say this is even more complicated to explain to people to teach them how2blm while also dealing with crazy mechanics and junk like that that require movement or possibly even shortening your rotation to suit the fight.

In Midas Savage it's actually been fun to DPS because it's not as much about knowing your rotation and performing it while dancing, it's knowing the fight timings, your cooldown timings, when to hold them and when to fold them. What opener do I use on A5S so I can maximize my dot ticks and minimize the large cooldowns blown while he's big and takes less damage? What cooldowns do I use on A6S at what time in the robot fights so I can always have a decent opener on each of the robots? Most importantly, how do I cooldown on A8S so that I have my full opener for Phase 2, and what is the latest I can pop these cds so that everything will align nicely while not losing a use of the cooldown?

I don't think there are any tutorials you can throw at people to teach them this stuff.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well i didnt learn that have 3 fire stacks made your blizzard 3 cooldown shorter until halfway through heavensward so I dont know what is optimal. Maybe they should add a command lists to the dummies so you can see your max damage and combos to see what is optimal for m-m-m-maximum damage. Or it might break the game because mobas dont do this either or have a sandbox mode.

iammeiam

Well i didnt learn that have 3 fire stacks made your blizzard 3 cooldown shorter until halfway through heavensward so I dont know what is optimal.

This--not raid level minmaxing--is the sort of thing the Famitsu interview was asking for somehing in-game to teach. This is what Yoshida appears to have written off as a no, and it puts new players at a disadvantage for no reason. The bare bones minimum data of how a character's toolkit interacts is something any video game should be trying to communicate.

Then again, Hall of the Novice chastises DPS players for multidotting so maybe tutorials are super hard.

Sorian

Banned
Hey so, contributing again to this discussion about rotations being complicated. This one is incredibly wrong for doing a correct black mage rotation. It actually speaks to the problem of skill bloat and having too many attacks and not really understanding how best to use them all. BLM Rotato more typically resembles

Sharpcast
Ley Lines
>Fire 1
Enochian
>Fire 3
Raging Strikes
[Potion]
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Fire 1
Swiftcast
>Fire 4
Convert
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Blizzard 3
>Blizzard 4
>Thunder 1

And then you repeat
>Fire 3
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Fire 1
>Fire 4
>Fire 4
>Blizzard 3
>Blizzard 4
>Thunder 1

Twice before doing a new Enochian with Sharpcast
F1>F4>F4>F4>F3>F4>B3>B4>T1> repeat above rotato

Some would say this is even more complicated to explain to people to teach them how2blm while also dealing with crazy mechanics and junk like that that require movement or possibly even shortening your rotation to suit the fight.

The bolded swiftcast isn't even needed anymore with current spell speeds which means it can just be a freebie during a movement.

Squishy3

While I do agree FCoB was a great balance of difficulty/fun, I also really think Midas is a great raid tier but it's tuned a bit too tightly for a more general populace.
I actually think what Yoshida said about Gordias and Midas is a pretty good stateent in the Famitsu interview where they made the dance too much for the complexity of level 60 rotations and the adapting on the fly required for midcore players in terms of keeping their class buffs up.

Firstly, the DPS checks for Gordias were too high so we shifted the difficulty of Midas by "making the players dance" and we overdid that too. Regarding Midas, Let's just say the level cap was still 50 and you could use the level 50 rotations. I think the clear rates would have been way way higher. After checking the data and logs, we noticed "Understanding the mechanics,judging,dodging and maintaining the level 60 rotations on top of that" is what created the enormous gap between players. There are a lot of buffs you need to manage and maintain and not only that, but the phase transitions or enemy mechanics disturb that rotation. This led to requiring players to flexibly judging in certain situations. Back in binding coil of Bahamut, there were some harsh mechanics, but the difference in rotations directly slashed the gap in difficulty. It's too late to change the rotations during the 3.x series so we'll lower the difficulty of the final tier of Alexander instead.

I'm not doing Savage so I can't speak to it, but like Nidhogg EX is pretty well designed (at least, for a Dragoon) because stuff all lines up insanely well (IE you do your opener as normal because even if you don't blow geirskogul botd still falls off during cauterize+horrid roars) and then when he comes back down it'll be off cooldown and you can carry it into the adds flawlessly since there's no delay between Nidhogg leaving and the adds coming out. My favorite one though has to be after the form switch and you can blow some of your off gcds like a non-power surged jump (although you need to delay it so you don't get animation locked if you get a circle since they show up around the same time you've applied disembowel) and then it'll be back up in time for fang and claw, and you can delay your cooldowns aside from litany in case you get red, then either grab an orb and spineshatter/dragonfire dive back to the claw and then b4b+ir is back off CD for after the towers, geirskoguls and super jump and you burn until he switches phases again. then everything's back off CD again for when you're stacked for the second akh morn.

I just kinda hope it doesn't become like WoW where I've been messing around again and playing a prot warrior where the rotation is:

use vengeance off CD, use shield slam off CD, use thunderclap off CD unless there's adds coming you need to pick up. Spam Devastate to proc Shield Slam and watch for dodge/parries to proc Vengeance and use intercept on an ally every once in awhile while spamming Ignore Pain whenever you have the Rage. Feels really passive since threat is nothing (you literally have like a 100k threat lead on anyone in your party without even trying) and you don't need to balance doing DPS with threat management

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well i also think Dragoon is the easiest dps class but i digress.
But what i do digress on is that we should think of new thread titles.
|OT| Legion is out but expansion | 2 | aint.

Village

" Oh, new optional items, oh I liked that guys outfit, let me see if... "
* Is undyable*
" Thank you square enix for allowing me to save my money"

Also add male dreads specifically for Au Ra in 4.0 pls thanks

pls remove smokescreen from ninja and add shadow clones

thank you
This man know.

those will surely come in handy during raids...

I dunno if that's a new move and it lets you do like double damage, that's actually sick

Squishy3

Sometimes, as main tank, I intentionally turn the last boss of weeping city the wrong way. I am fueled by the ensuing salt.
The secret is to turn the boss after the charge to the outer edge so the bladed hair faces the wall.

Then the boss determines that the aoe has no actual floor space to cover so the aoe switches sides and covers the entire arena.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The secret is to turn the boss after the charge to the outer edge so the bladed hair faces the wall.

Then the boss determines that the aoe has no actual floor space to cover so the aoe switches sides and covers the entire arena.
Stop teaching people the secret moves Squishy.

Coil was too perfect, so they had to figure out way to make it worse so they had something to improve on for the next expansion. This is the Blizzard Strategy, and it got them millions of Diablo III + expansion sales because first you make Diablo III kind of shitty and then you make the expansion better so that way people will buy millions of copies of the the base game and then millions of copies of the expansion to fix the base game. Diablo III + expansion has sold a combined lifetime 30 million units so i guess it works. For Blizzard anyways.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Coil was too perfect, so they had to figure out way to make it worse so they had something to improve on for the next expansion. This is the Blizzard Strategy, and it got them millions of Diablo III + expansion sales because first you make Diablo III kind of shitty and then you make the expansion better so that way people will buy millions of copies of the the base game and then millions of copies of the expansion to fix the base game. Diablo III + expansion has sold a combined lifetime 30 million units so i guess it works. For Blizzard anyways.

We have a saying in Russian that's basically rather than explaining things with a conspiracy, it's much more reliable to explain things with incompetency.

reddit

Some good info here.

Q. In other worlds, it relies to much on player skills?
Y.Yes. Basically, the 2.0 rotations were simple so it made it easy to maintain that rotation while you busted mechanics. To add to that, excluding monk, there weren't many actions where "If you drop or lose this buff, your DPS plummets". Back from those days, Greased lightning was the key for monks and that was the what the jobs was supposed to be like, but now almost every job has that sort of element. That space is left for contriving, but i think the difficulty was too high.
Q. Are you going to continue to make content easier?
Y. It's not fully confirmed, but i have a feeling the current rotation is too difficult for players, so the difficulty of jobs as a whole will be dropped by one layer. It's timewise impossible to implement those changes during the 3.x series, so we decided to lower/hold down the difficulty of the raid itself instead. Like i said before, it's a "high end raid" after all so there will be people who still struggle but i would like to solve that with the help of item levels.

Really interested to see how these changes turn out. This expansion is a perfect chance for PLD to reclaim its rightful place as King of the tanks.

Qvoth

hopefullly instead of new actions, we get some passive that changes the action's effects a bit or something
wtzgU.gif

ebil

TFW your MNK realizes he was wearing his unfinished i170 Relic after clearing A6s.

"DPS seems a little bit lower today"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

PRAISE YOSHIDA.

No seriously, it's about damn time. I want to collect my gear and go home, thanks.

Top Bottom