• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLBridges

Went ahead and capped my poetics and lore, yeah I could've waited until next week but it's not a big deal. Gonna cap scriptures next week and then wait for SB.

Oh, and if Blue Mage is added to the game it's gotta go tank. It definitely would be cool if SE pulled a ninja with it. Very doubtful though.

dramatis

Are
Guy Incognito
Izayoi Tsubaki
Mary Benedictus
Qhon Tayuun
Rock Volnutt
Scything Moon
Sumie Arrowny

active anymore?
You're getting trolled, Ken is Qhon Tayuun.

It also means it's possible he kicked you off his friends list

Mary's been playing on and off in sporadic bursts.

Guy has been dead for 500+ days. There's been somebody trying to drag him kicking and screaming back for Stormblood.

Rock has been dead for 600+ days.

Scything is still active but he's going to move to Euro servers because SE moved the NA servers.

Sumie logged in for the first time in a while 2 days ago.

I don't know where Izayoi is on the list, possibly kicked for well over 600 days of inactivity.

lol

You're getting trolled, Ken is Qhon Tayuun.

It also means it's possible he kicked you off his friends list

Mary's been playing on and off in sporadic bursts.

Guy has been dead for 500+ days. There's been somebody trying to drag him kicking and screaming back for Stormblood.

Rock has been dead for 600+ days.

Scything is still active but he's going to move to Euro servers because SE moved the NA servers.

Sumie logged in for the first time in a while 2 days ago.

I don't know where Izayoi is on the list, possibly kicked for well over 600 days of inactivity.

lol

LOL, thanks.

I'm Scything, but I'm moving to Yuro land relatively soon I'm afraid.

One less reason for my return. :c

I think I'm finally free and all I have to thank for it is constant real life things coming up and keeping me too busy to dedicate my life to any game at the moment.
I hate it.
I really really hate it.

Speaking of Yuro, did they ever talk about the new servers they're opening for SB launch since the announcement they would originally? Like, when is it happening, SB launch, EA launch, later?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Same. I heard that I'm becoming the new Prime Minister. Later, America o7

The Galen-Fracture coalition has my vote.

One less reason for my return. :c

I think I'm finally free and all I have to thank for it is constant real life things coming up and keeping me too busy to dedicate my life to any game at the moment.
I hate it.
I really really hate it.

I know that feeling, and that sucks, I'm sorry.

Trying to slog through the main quest of 2.1-end of Heavensward and I am already stuck at the quest where I have to visit Sunken Temple again and I don't find a group since 3 hours. There is no way to do the content solo right?

You can try unsyncing it. I'm not sure if you still get the item for the quest though.

But what about when it's revealed that you're just an egi that Bahamut is using?

hqdefault.jpg

aka_bueno

Day7: Got to level 39 this morning before work. I can probably hit level 40 tonight after work since I can do my roulette thing today and that's always a good chunk of xp

But then the race to 50 is on. I really want to reach level 50 in time for Early Access so I can get started on Red Mage (what's the point of not allowing you to create one of the new jobs until you have a level 50 character?) and take that through Heavansward but I just don't know if I can reach 50 by then. Leveling has slowed down a noticeable amount now...

dramatis

Day7: Got to level 39 this morning before work. I can probably hit level 40 tonight after work since I can do my roulette thing today and that's always a good chunk of xp

But then the race to 50 is on. I really want to reach level 50 in time for Early Access so I can get started on Red Mage (what's the point of not allowing you to create one of the new jobs until you have a level 50 character?) and take that through Heavansward but I just don't know if I can reach 50 by then. Leveling has slowed down a noticeable amount now...
Use Palace of the Dead.

ebil

I mean... The new jobs start at level 50, that's the point?

Any graphic cards that can do 1080p 60fps that aren't insanely expensive?

Thinking of getting a new monitor and video card since my current card isn't going to cut it with a new monitor.

Thinking of getting a new monitor and video card since my current card isn't going to cut it with a new monitor.

GTX 1060 has no problems in 1080p Maximum at 60+ fps with this game.

If you're buying a new monitor, why stop at 1080p when 1440p is the new standard though. Pair a 1440p monitor with a GTX 1070 to get 1440p Maximum at 60+ fps.

Of course if you want the most awesome experience, you can step up to 4K (2160p) and have four times the pixels of 1080p. This is what Stormblood benchmark looks like in 4K:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-l1vnO7Rk8
A 1080 Ti can average over 60 fps in 4K Maximum, the first single GPU under $1,000 which accomplishes this feat!

Rizzi

Does anyone know the Complete Edition that's releasing with Stormblood is going to be usable with existing accounts? I assume separate keys, but I figured I'd check though.

aka_bueno

My guess is a 1060 card.

This. I have a 1060 6GB and I'm actually playing at 1440p 60fps locked with everything set to max except reflections are at high or medium cause otherwise in areas with a ton of water it will dip to like 55-59. But at 1080p you probably won't have to do that.

That said, I've only done ARR content so far since I'm still leveling, so no raids or anything but I think you'll still be golden at 1080p with the 1060 6GB.

I actually need to upgrade myself soon since I got a 4k Freesync monitor. Waiting for AMD Vega to see if it can do 4k60fps if not I'll have to plop down for a 1080ti

My guess is a 1060 card.

Yeah I'm seeing good things about this card. I have another question though. I have a i5-6500 CPU. I have a feeling I don't need to upgrade this just yet though since frames don't really go down when there's tons of people.

I get frame drops in certain areas (the one guildhest where you kill that Buso demon where the adds drop blue flames tanks my FPS like crazy for example so I think it's the card).

GTX 1060 has no problems in 1080p Maximum at 60+ fps with this game.

If you're buying a new monitor, why stop at 1080p when 1440p is the new standard though. Pair a 1440p monitor with a GTX 1070 to get 1440p Maximum at 60+ fps.

Of course if you want the most awesome experience, you can step up to 4K (2160p) and have four times the pixels of 1080p. This is what Stormblood benchmark looks like in 4K:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-l1vnO7Rk8
A 1080 Ti can average over 60 fps in 4K Maximum, the first single GPU under $1,000 which accomplishes this feat!

4K and that card is a bit much for me in terms of price. I'm liking what I'm seeing of the 1060. I will consider going to 1440p though if I can find a monitor that isn't too expensive.

This. I have a 1060 6GB and I'm actually playing at 1440p 60fps locked with everything set to max except reflections are at high or medium cause otherwise in areas with a ton of water it will dip to like 55-59. But at 1080p you probably won't have to do that.

That said, I've only done ARR content so far since I'm still leveling, so no raids or anything but I think you'll still be golden at 1080p with the 1060 6GB.

I actually need to upgrade myself soon since I got a 4k Freesync monitor. Waiting for AMD Vega to see if it can do 4k60fps if not I'll have to plop down for a 1080ti

That's good to hear. I mostly want to upgrade for more stable 60fps and also for the increased res and more space since even after messing with the HUD it still takes up too much space for my liking.

I would just get the 1080 Ti at this point because no one knows how long the wait for Vega actually still is and it's very unlikely Vega will touch the 1080 Ti in performance.

Redx508

if you don't need the card right now wait for Vega and see how it does. nvidia is probably going price drop when vega drops maybe.

Checking PCPartPicker.com it looks like the 1060 has a tdp of 120 while my r9 380 has a tdp of 190.

So I should be fine with my current power supply?

It's also slightly longer but I think I should be able to fit it in my case.

As for the monitor, I guess I'll have to look around.

duckroll

Goddamn. Finished Final Steps of Faith earlier, and then I teamed up with Bebpo, and we rolled FC folks into a whole Void Ark -> Weeping City -> Dun Scaith run. So. Fucking. Good. Arrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh.

<3 FFXIV

Time to collapse into bed.

if you don't need the card right now wait for Vega and see how it does. nvidia is probably going price drop when vega drops maybe.

Nvidia will not feel the need to price drop if Vega underperforms, and it probably will. That botched demo at Computex did not inspire confidence at all. Lots of people saw the Computex nonsense and they were like "NOPE" and bought a 1080 or 1080 Ti after seeing that.

Checking PCPartPicker.com it looks like the 1060 has a tdp of 120 while my r9 380 has a tdp of 190.

So I should be fine with my current power supply?

It's also slightly longer but I think I should be able to fit it in my case.

As for the monitor, I guess I'll have to look around.

Pascal sips power compared to any GPU AMD makes. That TDP rating is probably accurate.

Get a decent quality IPS or VA monitor and you'll be fine if your target is only 60 hz. IPS usually offers slightly better response times, VA typically has deeper black levels and better contrast ratio.

Of course there's 1080p 120/144 hz monitors out there with the LightBoost and stuff but you'll really want to step up to a 1070 if you're gunning for 120 or 144 fps.

aka_bueno

I would just get the 1080 Ti at this point because no one knows how long the wait for Vega actually still is and it's very unlikely Vega will touch the 1080 Ti in performance.

Luckily I'm not in the biggest rush since 1440p at least looks decent on the 4k monitor (but when I flip to 4k it's mind blowing the detail you can see lol) so I'm ok with waiting til end of July when Vega launches to make my decision. It'll be a birthday present to myself either way (July 30) woo!

Haha Duckrolls' posts always make me excited for the future. In the meantime...

I went ahead and got Lancer going and after doing some initial Lancer quests and side quests in the area to get to around level 9, I finally tried out the Palace of the Dead. Yep, I went up a level while being close to my next level up every run of floors 1-10. I think I more or less know how it works now too except that I'm not sure how you activate the portal, is it from killing x enemies? Or opening a certain chest? I'm assuming the latter because some people prefer to skip enemies on a floor for speed runs.

Anyway, got to lvl 15 and went back to U'ldah to pick up the Monk quest and I'm now officially a Monk, ready to accrue gear for my future Samurai :D I have to say though it feels like I'm still a pugilist. It gave me a single skill from the Monk job and that's it. No change in appearance and I'm fighting just as I did prior to being Monk. Maybe that will change after I knock out more Monk quests? I have to hit level 35 to do the next one. I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the cross class stuff since I only got Lancer to 15 but there's no reason for me to bother since that's going away in ten days anyway. Oh, and my little master plan of cashing in the quest completions for high level quest as Lancer didn't work, game made me switch back to Pugilist to redeem them...well played Square, well played.

I then moved on with the story and after a never ending string of quests to obtain food ingredients and wine, I finally got to fight Titan! Thankfully for me I'm a foodie and an amateur wine enthusiast/collector so I was able to appreciate these quests a little more but lord did it drag out this punk telling me how to get to Titan haha I'm so glad Y'shtola played a part in accessing him because lord was she worthless like the other Scion members during this whole section of the story. Her talking about how unreasonable it was to do these quests for information and then now helping out only compounded it and rubbed it in ;p I actually manged to level up right as I cashed in the last lvl 33 quest so was thankfully able to do Titan right away. I can only imagine if I had to do more after all those food and wine quests haha

Anyway, the Titan fight was much more challenging than Ifrit, you can get knocked off the arena fairly easily if you don't know how to dodge his move set. I'm still not quite sure the optimum place to be for when he leaps into the sky but I'll just assume as far opposite the side of the arena as possible. The important thing as a melee dps was learning the most effective way to dodge the move that can blow you off the arena while keeping your dps going. It was also neat because FFBE has the FFXIV Titan trial and Raid going right now so he looks the same, has Tumult, and even has the heart implemented into the fight in BE. It's fun seeing all the source material and I told the guys in the FFBE thread I can actually care more about the FFXIV units in the game now that I know their background a bit and who they are from playing this game.

There was an interesting development in the story after Titan, I knew this was bound to happen eventually but I didn't expect it this soon. I'm curious to see how my character will proceed at this point :) Alas, I've now hit the level barrier again to continue the story.... I just barely hit level 34 and I need to be 35 to continue both the story and the Monk quest line. So.....

This means it's time to subscribe! So when I get on the game later I'll be looking to join the GAF FC :D I'll be able to go deeper into the Palace of the Dead which I'm guessing is what I should do to get to 35 quickly. I was going to wait to suscribe until my buddy from Japan left as he arrives tomorrow but I plan on playing the heck out of this tonight so I need to be able to go past 35 haha I might as well pre-order SB now too. Wait, can I just add as subscription to my trial? Or am I going to need to buy ARR on top of that? I was planning on buying the big collection that has all three so I'd have to buy ARR twice in a sense if I subscribe tonight, right?

aka_bueno

Haha Duckrolls' posts always make me excited for the future. In the meantime...

This means it's time to subscribe! So when I got on the game later I'll be looking to join the GAF FC :D I'll be able to go deeper into the Palace of the Dead which I'm guessing is what I should do to get to 35 quickly. I was going to wait to suscribe until my buddy from Japan left as he arrives tomorrow but I plan on playing the heck out of this tonight so I need to be able to go past 35 haha I might as well pre-order SB now too. Wait, can I just add as subscription to my trial? Or am I going to need to buy ARR on top of that? I was planning on buying the big collection that has all three so I'd have to buy ARR twice in a sense if I subscribe tonight, right?

You can just buy the base game, A Realm Reborn which includes a 30 day sub for $19.99 or $9.99 using a promo code on the official site. Dunno if that promo code is still going but look it up.

Then you can buy/preorder the base $39.99 Stormblood expansion which includes Heavansward

It's what I did, I just started this week too, you're not far behind me. I'm level 39, maybe we can do stuff together if you sub soon haha

Thorgal

when titan jumps in the air you want to stand as close to the marked edge as possible while not standing on it .

it is your first encounter with a proximity based damage mechanic.
in later fights you will see markers appear on the floor with a pulsing aoe effect which means the closer you are to those markers when the attack goes off the more damage you'll take .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom