• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

managed to finish rabanastre first try. maybe bosses have high hp but it felt like the groups were doing dps in slow motion. we also had lots of people fluctuating in the raid. that char
iot
boss is very boring. nothing is happening and it was alive for an eternity.

i rolled for boots and won. going for full set anyway, never leave until last boss is down. FFT is the best soundtrack in the game now, obviously. could've used a rerecording though.

Sorian

Banned
managed to finish rabanastre first try. maybe bosses have high hp but it felt like the groups were doing dps in slow motion. we also had lots of people fluctuating in the raid. that char
iot
boss is very boring. nothing is happening and it was alive for an eternity.

i rolled for boots and won. going for full set anyway, never leave until last boss is down. FFT is the best soundtrack in the game now, obviously. could've used a rerecording though.

Groups probably had shit dps. None of the bosses were very spongey imo. The boss you mention was fine. It was more of a know what's happening before it happens fight and once you do, it's trivial. Boss two will be the new wall though he isn't nearly as bad as Ozma. The theme of the last boss being easiest continues since they know bad groups will inevitably get there with time remaining for one solid pull.

Second call for any potential FFXIV questions for the devs now that 4.1 is live.

If you could ask if they’ll consider making current and future raid mounts (like the ones that drop in A4S, A12S, O4S) purchasable with pages from that fight (that you normally use to buy gear or a weapon)? Would help those who pug weeklies but not with the same group.

Also sounds like all three of the major territories’ community teams are bringing up the Shirogane housing stuff to YoshiP with a high urgency, so should probably wait on his most likely upcoming statement on the matter before bringing up any housing questions.

Edit:

And there’s something now. Would really like to ask why they don’t implement a lottery system ahead of new housing to have it all done in advance and through something like Mog Station to alleviate the congestion on patch days with new housing (wouldn’t be a rush anymore). Though the last part of YoshiP’s statement says they are likely deciding a new way to sell housing so maybe they have something like a lottery system in mind.

Why would anyone have thought differently?
I mean,
the story heavily implies it takes part hundreds of years after FFT, with characters being direct descendants of characters from FFT, house Beoulve is mentioned, and so on. I don't think its unfair to expect them to be connected.

Sciel

A response so quickly is good but it does little to ease the saltiness of those who lost out on their plots.

Sure, more plots are coming.....you just have to wait another few months for 4.2. Even then, depending on how they handle it, the same issues may occur again and whatever fail-safe they have might again fail.

The problem has potentially been there since the expansion launched, its just SE choosing to (again) be reactive instead of proactive.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
I really do think a voluntary instanced house would help a lot. Sure there are those that currently have their homes in ward that have since grown to love the feeling of community but there must be others that really just want a house with a garden.

Before personal housing was launched and even during the beta of arr yoshi made a point of saying that personal housing will be different from fc housing. But this is the system we have now and at best you can turn it into a hybrid system.

You could even make the houses feel like they have their own little taste of whichever ward theyre meant to represent.

But I dont think FFXIV network structure would allow for that. Server capacity is either static or manually allocated based on demand instead of dynamically.

They're kind of in a corner and they have been since day one.

aceface

If they are set on keeping housing working the same way it does now, in my opinion they should have either:
a. Opened the new housing areas only to FC's first. This would have maximized the number of players able to enjoy the new wards and housing through joining an FC.

b. Tripled (or more) the cost of the houses. The reason why wards stay opened forever when they first released housing is because no one could afford the cost. The crazy thing is that it was even more back then. Iirc the original GAF house in Mist cost 80-100million gil. Keeping the price lower now when there is so much more gil in circulation makes no sense. Yes that favors the rich and that could mean gil buyers but it also means people who have been playing the game for years and who have amassed a fortune. It's not perfect but to me it's a better metric than who can beat the servers and log on fastest.

Cmagus

7 runs of Rabanastre and all have been a disband at the second boss lol. I just ended up taking the head gear piece since hope for seeing past the second boss is gonna take awhile. It's not even that tough it's just like eveyone forgets the idea of staying with your alliance.

Atolm

So the Shiba and the Koala come from retainer ventures...

I also want to talk about how ridiculously broken Alchemist currently is. It was the most profitable crafting class by a wide margin already with the raid potions and Reisui 2 being needed for all of the 320 gear recipes, but now it got a craftable mount (the flying couch) which is a first for this game and also all the new gear recipes need HQ Alchemist materials.

komaruR

god no bidding system for housing. then only the riches can get a house. put a que to lotto system.
put it right when you click on the housing planck. that way it will even prevent house resellers.

dramatis

I have a pretty simple solution honestly, just make apartments upgradeable.

Apartments are the rough equivalent of instanced housing, if you make it so that people can purchase 'expansions', then people could be satisfied with having more space. They can even have additions like 'greenhouse alcove' or something that people can sort of garden indoors with, and if they're really bananas they'll sell real money additions too lol

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I mean,
the story heavily implies it takes part hundreds of years after FFT, with characters being direct descendants of characters from FFT, house Beoulve is mentioned, and so on. I don't think its unfair to expect them to be connected.
Players should have had enough reason to believe this was a different Timeline/Universe when they
flipped the script and made Final Fantasy Tatics take place in the past before Final Fantasy XII when in the real Timeline/Universe Final Fantasy Tatics takes place AFTER Final Fantasy XII

Unfortunately to my dismay they didn't make the events that take place in Final Fantasy XIV canon in accordance to the Ivalice Alliance but it's good that they confirmed it for the people who got confused.

Valonquar

Welp, I spent an evening shouting to buy the resin/bamboo/etc to buy the workshop recipe. Several neighbors helped me out with those. Then I took about 2 hours to gather & craft the mats. Small Shirogane Castle built for my small plot in Lavender Beds! It's definitely taller than other houses, and you can jump to the top :)

Lot of the neighborhood came over to check it out, resulting in a rooftop dance party. THIS is why individual instanced housing wouldn't be the same.

The only question I have of the 24 man raid is
How the hell is Argath there? Shouldn't he be dead for 100s of years?
its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg

My take on wards is you should be limited to one house per account... yeah, disagree with me all you want but this is the only reason I can think of that's fair. Who the hell would be selfish enough to buy houses on alts they probably never play just for bragging rights?

So many people have alts buy houses and just sit there inactive save for the random day they log on just to keep the damn thing barren and unused taking up space. So you have 600 mil gil, big whoop go outside for once.

studyguy

Been trying to get the Ivalice tank body.
Like 3 parties all vote abandon on Hashamal.
Jfc he's not that hard, people are so fucking terrible at this shit.

Also not sure how Argath was there considering he never touched the Tauros zodiac stone ingame and in XIV they said something like the auracite sucks up the person's soul or whatever and sends it back out altered. I can see a stretch for sucking up a soul indefinitely but w/e as posted above it's really JUST MAGIC BRAH STOP THINKING SO HARD

MAYBE BLAME THE GODS FOR THE STORY NOT MAKING SENSE.
I hope the next boss is Weigraf
latest

Honestly, the biggest thing that's helped the groups I've been in for Hashmal is beating it into their skulls that they really need to stay at least relatively near their alliance markers unless they need to move. Even then, go right back ASAP. Suddenly people stopped dying nearly as much, and we had the DPS to actually kill it.

LordKasual

Banned
Are WHM still considered dead?

Lol...They've never had any problems in Stormblood. In fact they're probably at the top of the healer list right now.

The consensus that WHM was going to be terrible was always completely without context....people just crying about stuff before playing any of the actual content to see how it'd pan out.

It's gone from "they're gonna be trash" to "well ok they aren't that bad BUT i still think their design is trash!" to "i hope my class gets resources like WHM does"

A wonderful "TOLD YOU SO" moment.

Edit:

The early update to lilies helped this, but honestly even without it, WHM has always been a solid healer.

rubius01

Been trying to get the Ivalice tank body.
Like 3 parties all vote abandon on Hashamal.
Jfc he's not that hard, people are so fucking terrible at this shit.

Also not sure how Argath was there considering he never touched the Tauros zodiac stone ingame and in XIV they said something like the auracite sucks up the person's soul or whatever and sends it back out altered. I can see a stretch for sucking up a soul indefinitely but w/e as posted above it's really JUST MAGIC BRAH STOP THINKING SO HARD

MAYBE BLAME THE GODS FOR THE STORY NOT MAKING SENSE.
I hope the next boss is Weigraf
latest

Nope. The only place Weigraf would be done justice is O8S

Sorian

Banned
I mean,

Nothing in FFXIV is connected to any other game

Pro tip

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Pro tip
Maybe not directly but doesn't
Gilgamesh and Omega count? Multiverse has been confirmed to be a thing in alot of different ways in FFXIV heck Triple Triad Cards are explained to exist with characters from other games because of this

Lol...They've never had any problems in Stormblood. In fact they're probably at the top of the healer list right now.

The consensus that WHM was going to be terrible was always completely without context....people just crying about stuff before playing any of the actual content to see how it'd pan out.

It's gone from "they're gonna be trash" to "well ok they aren't that bad BUT i still think their design is trash!" to "i hope my class gets resources like WHM does"

Edit:

The early update to lilies helped this, but honestly even without it, WHM has always been a solid healer.
WHM "won" because their basic kit was mostly unchanged and SCH got gutted at first. Most of the prerelease criticism was spot on. Lilies still fucking suck and Plenary was completely useless at launch. Its really easy to go "WHM was gonna be fine all along!" after AST finally got nerfed and they got an extremely useful new ability in 4.05.

How about restrictions to home ownership so you can have 1 per account and 1 per server across all accounts so 1 person can't own 30 houses like on Mateus?

Too obvious, Japan?

Xion_Stellar

How about restrictions to home ownership so you can have 1 per account and 1 per server across all accounts so 1 person can't own 30 houses like on Mateus?

Too obvious, Japan?
That won't stop people from completely making a new accounts to have more houses. Yes that means they would pay more than one Subscription fee but if Gill seller have no issue with that than I don't expect house hoarders to do so either.

scy

Edit:

As someone who switched to healer main for raiding this expansion, and as a WHM, I really have to disagree with most of this? Lilies are still pretty terrible and add very little to the job; CDR on a job with abilities planned for certain moments rather than used-on-cooldown ends up being a rather wasted bonus at best and usually a case of trading GCDs for no net gain in total oGCDs used in a fight. The change to Plenary was a pretty big deal as it made the skill not entirely useless. Benison is a pretty nice skill but since healing design in the game has always been to minimize GCDs ever spent on ST healing, it's still in that kind of awkward spot to enable it.

Which, really, is a lot of the WHM issues: Their design fights with itself a lot. They have the best GCD healing throughput but then also their entire raid utility is that they have the highest personal DPS of the healers ... locked entirely behind GCDs. The more you push at WHM to bring the most to a group, the less and less they'll do healing wise as their GCDs are better spent elsewhere. They still lack meaningful group-wide mitigation of any kind which really limits what they can do to help minimize healing needed.

I've always held the point of it's not that WHM is bad by any means, they've always had a rather robust healing kit going into the expansion, but that the expansion didn't shore up most of their complaints (Thin Air is the standout here; skill is solid and enables a lot) and a lot of what WHM is now is what WHM has always been. They still exist as the BLM or SAM of their role by being a really selfish job, both in their healing and in their raid contribution. They'll never be a bad healer but they'll never be the ideal; it's not like being WHM means something is truly kept from you, especially with the general demand of healers as always in the game, but just that most groups will eventually want to phase out a WHM rather than truly benefiting from one the whole time.

And, of course, if you don't do Savage at all or care about that aspect of the game, WHM loses most of the issues simply as the content doesn't really demand enough to have any of it matter beyond being petty concerns. They're also the best dungeon healer in general simply because Holy is absolutely amazing.

Tanston

Trying to come up with a bunch of creative/convoluted solutions to housing is all fine and good but at the end of the day it comes down to square needs to invest in more server hardware to support everyone who wants a house being able to get a house. Not having a house when you want one feels bad even if the distribution system were made more fair.

In other words if you only have 5 cups of lemonade and there are 50 thirsty people in line 45 people are going to be unhappy no matter what you do. Hand out wristbands, hold an auction, do a lottery it doesn't matter all that matters is that at the end of the day 45 people are still thirsty unless you spend the money to make more lemonade.

iammeiam

The Mateus situation is interesting largely in that my understanding is that it came about gradually in part due to Mateus being pretty much dead. They had mostly-vacant wards for years. It only really became a problem when people wanted to turn Mateus into Balmung Jr only to find there was a preestablished community.

WHM "won" because their basic kit was mostly unchanged and SCH got gutted at first. Most of the prerelease criticism was spot on. Lilies still fucking suck and Plenary was completely useless at launch. Its really easy to go "WHM was gonna be fine all along!" after AST finally got nerfed and they got an extremely useful new ability in 4.05.

I'm honestly really curious to see where WHM falls going forward, since the general healer consensus right now is SCH is king again, AST is better for farm, WHM is still a gigantic mallet of healing that can be convenient to have in prog but useless once you know where to target heals instead of smashing around blindly. The Succor change isn't getting much discussion, but it's a pretty big blow to nAST which in turn is going to have downstream impact on WHM's general desirability. And unless WHM's personal DPS scales much better than expected, it's pretty likely cards are only going to get better from here out

It still blows me away that WHM has no meaningful form of mitigation; they really should have gotten rid of Protect as an expected constant buff and just made it WHM's answer to Soil/Collective.

Omni

I still find it funny that in current 'toughest' end-game raid, v4s, I can literally go through the entire fight without getting a single lily on WHM. Can't think of a single time I've had to rely on the confession stacks over regens either. That they only last 10 seconds makes them almost useless, IMO.

If the healing requirement in Ulitmate is tough I'll probably end up running it again just because of Cure III, but the 4.x additions are so completely useless.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone know if the adventurer squadrons have new chemistries for 50-60? Would be nice if they can bring back yellow scrips. Or Grade V materia.

studyguy

Tried Wanderer's palace as my second dungeon. Entered as a DPS.
1 tank, 1 healer, 1 other dps bots.
Holy
fucking
shit

The tank AI is so I N C R E D I B L Y stupid.
When it comes time for the final boss, it literally runs at every god damn add and just offs itself with grudge or completely ignores the current target as the main boss just stabs random people jfc. You basically have to SMASH the ever living fuck out of the engage command on the main boss so it stops them from running around sorta. I ended up taking like 60 minutes in the dungeon and timing out due to maintenance

I still find it funny that in current 'toughest' end-game raid, v4s, I can literally go through the entire fight without getting a single lily on WHM. Can't think of a single time I've had to rely on the confession stacks over regens either. That they only last 10 seconds makes them almost useless, IMO.

If the healing requirement in Ulitmate is tough I'll probably end up running it again just because of Cure III, but the 4.x additions are so completely useless.
Not to mention how often the cohealer can just handle Almagest alone

And people wonder why that one WHM player in Primal that stays every day on PF trying to get a solo heal v4 party going never gets to do anything.

Qvoth

cleared ivalice and shinryu ex :3
shinryu barding looks pretty dope so i'll probably try and get the crafting material for that from shinryu

Bebpo

Banned
Is Shinryuu Ex doable with an i320 weapon in terms of DPS output? Would rather replace my i320 weapon with an i335 weapon from Shinryuu than save up 1000 creation tomes for an i330 weapon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not a fan of exactly how the Void and Auracite have been explained in the story. The whole multiverse that they came up with is confusing.

Spoilers for all content released

1st World - Literally succumbed to Light, which apparently now is a bad thing. Things are too damn bright. HydaMinfilia said cya and went to world 1. Do we need a balance then. Is Hydaelyn not inherently good? What does this say about Zodiark?

Prime World - The world our player characters all exist in.

Void World - Was a normal world, implied that it became the void after the warrior of light and adventurers started getting addicted to white Auracite crack rocks. Eventually these crack addicts turned into monsters, including the Lucavi(?), who fought over the remaining aether on that world until the whole place turned to shit. All voidsent come from this world. They find cracks in our world to enter with the purpose of satiating their hunger for more aether. Is it possible that the characters sealing up the primals was occurring 100's of years ago? It has been implied that the warrior of light and/or the 12 have been summoned more than once. Perhaps an earlier summoning 100's of years ago to defeat the primals was when that universes WoL got corrupted.

While not explained, you'd think that all the shards are on the same time period across all universes, but then wouldn't voidsent have just been a recent phenomenon. Why would the Lucavi come from there if FFT occured 100's of years earlier. Why would the Lucavi or any voidsent work together if we know that the voidsent were warring and fucking each other up? Why would the zodiac stones have any connection to half way across the world warriors trying to seal up primals?

All in all tho, living in the world of FFXIV has to be next level shitty. The most immediate issue was the Garlean empire, but you have an ever occuring supernatural phenomenon of Primal summoning, which to make matters worse have the power to mind control 99.99% of the population if encountered. You have world ending Allagan technologies hidden in places waiting to be found and abused. A storyline in The Crystal Tower where if the villain succeeded then all life would have been sucked into a void. A multi-universe threat in Omega. The chance that voidsent are going to break through and fuck everyone's day up. The FFT zodiac stones exist with the ability to possess people with ancient sealed demons. Some assholes in robes planning who knows what.

Pro tip

Not so sure about that. In FFXI, Shantotto mentions her time in FFXIV. But I guess it's more of a reference so maybe not. It's still real to me dammit.jpg lol

Holy
fucking
shit

When it comes time for the final boss, it literally runs at every god damn add and just offs itself with grudge or completely ignores the current target as the main boss just stabs random people jfc. You basically have to SMASH the ever living fuck out of the engage command on the main boss so it stops them from running around sorta. I ended up taking like 60 minutes in the dungeon and timing out due to maintenance
I've only had a bad experience when it comes to AOE pools. They literally just stand in them until they die

Holy
fucking
shit

I did that dungeon yesterday and it was pretty bad.

I ended up letting the tank do whatever it wanted and when the boss targeted me I just ran around the room.

Managed to kill it with the LB before the large tonberry adds started moving.

God Eater has spoiled me when it comes to competent AI teammates.

LordKasual

Banned
As someone who switched to healer main for raiding this expansion, and as a WHM, I really have to disagree with most of this? Lilies are still pretty terrible and add very little to the job; CDR on a job with abilities planned for certain moments rather than used-on-cooldown ends up being a rather wasted bonus at best and usually a case of trading GCDs for no net gain in total oGCDs used in a fight. The change to Plenary was a pretty big deal as it made the skill not entirely useless. Benison is a pretty nice skill but since healing design in the game has always been to minimize GCDs ever spent on ST healing, it's still in that kind of awkward spot to enable it.

I've never cared about what people said about lilies from a design perspective. They work. Even when they didn't work as intuitively as they should have, they still worked. And now that they are a guaranteed bonus, they worked even better. Other classes have had similar fumbles with their mechanics, Black Mage in particular has consistently been an aggravating class to main. Lilies are a passive CDR that you can either deliberately or passively use. They felt a bit clunky to prepare for back when lilies were RNG, but even back when we could only assume the mechanic's effectiveness, there still was no real reason why I would have expected the class to underperform considering the rest of their skills.

Then there was all the bitching about optimal healer play, and that's where I really start laughing. Because 95% of your raiding experience in any game is going to be very far from optimal. People are gonna screw up mechanics, your healing partner is going to be bad, wipe fatigue sets in, DPS are going to stand in explosions, tanks will miss mitigation, people will be undergeared, ect ect. Conversation about WHM's supposed focus on healing with no supplemental raid damage when "FFXIV isn't even that hard" always felt like it was just assuming that everyone involved was going to be in a raid party full of people who are just amazing at the game. That is NEVER the case, in ANY team-based game, so it's silly to start the conversation there.

So even if their worth is limited from a purely "we're so good at this we can speedrun it" position, it's never going to play out that way in reality. FFXIV has just never been that kind of game where those differences are significant enough to really complain about...unless the class was just SO gimped that you couldn't help but notice, like 3.0 Launch Bard. And WHM has not been in that position in 4.0.

iammeiam

Because 95% of your raiding experience in any game is going to be very far from optimal. People are gonna screw up mechanics, your healing partner is going to be bad, wipe fatigue sets in, DPS are going to stand in explosions, tanks will miss mitigation, people will be undergeared, ect ect. Conversation about WHM's supposed focus on healing with no supplemental raid damage when "FFXIV isn't even that hard" always felt like it was just assuming that everyone involved was going to be in a raid party full of people who are just amazing at the game. That is NEVER the case, in ANY team-based game, so it's silly to start the conversation there.

This is a weird approach to take. WHM is the worst at any sort of meaningful contribution in bad runs/when people are under geared, because their raid damage contribution is GCD-bound. Chain Strat and Cards function even if the healer is stuck chain-healing disaster runs. The worse a run gets, the more WHM's overall group contribution suffers from its actual class design as they have no baseline contribution or utility. And No Mitigation becomes much worse if the run is bad because the WHM is completely lacking in that area.

So even if their worth is limited from a purely "we're so good at this we can speedrun it" position, it's never going to play out that way in reality. FFXIV has just never been that kind of game where those differences are significant enough to really complain about...unless the class was just SO gimped that you couldn't help but notice, like 3.0 Launch Bard. And WHM has not been in that position in 4.0.

WHM wasn't in that position in 3.5, either, and they were still the odd man out in raiding because their contribution potential was lower. WHM's 4.0 problem has always been the underwhelming new systems that completely ignored the problems people had in 3.5. It's never been viability, it's always been the expansion doing nothing to address the complaints people had before and choosing instead to tack on a mostly useless resource and another, weaker, AOE heal.

Top Bottom