• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV aiming for 60FPS/1080p on PS4 Pro | UP - dated Feb 21st

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I dont know man, based on a few links I looked around, it seems like the 4K resolution support and the 1080p 60 fps (better optimized) modes will be available in a patch that comes in december...

Way I understand it, upon game's release on 29 Nov. the game will have the modes that are included now in Judgement Demo which you perfectly described.

True 4K and further optimized 60 fps mode will come in December...

which sucks... :/

Please make me eat crow about this... cause it looks like I will have to wait extra time for the true experience...

There is no true 4K support coming. This game will never be native res.

Tyaren

If no one gets to it first, I could take some base PS4 vs Pro comparison shots tonight.

Yes, please. :D
(I didn't even find where to switch between modes during the game.)

I did just some random shots and imo on the Pro this game turned out to be one of the best looking open-world games that I have played so far. Good LOD, good textures and anisotropic filtering, good IQ, good antialiasing solution. Even the hair didn't really bother me.

30825563981_6a445bd89e_o.png

I hope the final game offers this high quality 1080p Pro mode too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Come on we are better than this... its pretty obvious I am talking about Sony's "4K", ie checkerboard/whatever when saying "true".

It doesn't have to even be checkerboard though, they could elect to render at 1440p or even 1800p and just upscale from there with visual enhancements packed in as well.

valkyre

It doesn't have to even be checkerboard though, they could elect to render at 1440p or even 1800p and just upscale from there with visual enhancements packed in as well.

Sure, that is why I added "whatever" in there. Just talking about higher resolution one way or another and the actual benefits that will come out of it.

Tyaren

...they could elect to render at 1440p or even 1800p and just upscale from there with visual enhancements packed in as well.

Do you think that would be possible? Higher resolution plus additional graphical effects?
I really hope they keep this 1080p with enhanced graphics mode that they have now in the demo. It looks great, clean and clear. Especially the anisotropic filtering looks really good. I don't want to go back to slush everywhere for 1400p/1800p rendering.

valkyre

Do you think that would be possible? Higher resolution plus additional graphical effects?
I really hope they keep this 1080p with enhanced graphics mode that they have now in the demo. It looks great, clean and clear. Especially the anisotropic filtering looks really good. I don't want to go back to slush everywhere for 1400p/1800p rendering.

Is the framerate rock solid 30 fps without frame pacing of drops during action?

Tyaren

Is the framerate rock solid 30 fps without frame pacing of drops during action?

I'm not someone who seems to have a good eye for framerates, lol. I notice if a framerate is choppy (like Duscae) and I notice if one is super smooth 60fps but inbetween it all looks pretty much the same to me. I didn't notice frame pacing or choppyness. It felt absolutely fine to me. I know that others have said they noticed some minor problems though...

valkyre

I think I read someone here complaining about frame pacing issues at 30fps, but he wasn't sure.

There really is no salvation right? Yes I know it is just a demo not the final product... but ffs I just cant but feel disappointed.

nOoblet16

We really will have to wait and see. The hair in FFXV is after all hideously low resolution. It'll be better, at least.

It's not really low res hair.
Infact that reason why it looks that way is because it's complex and has lots of fine details and only way to fix that is to have AA solution that tackles it. Downsampling or TAA are the most obvious choice, their TAA solution for some reason doesn't seem to work all that well for it atleast on PS4.

Falk

that puzzling face
The hair aliasing is a lot more noticeable in screenshots than it is in footage. Bouncy tech hides a lot of it.

Curious to see how 4k -> back down to 1080p affects the hair IQ at 1080p though, even if it's just checkerboarding.

Tyaren

I heard you like comparisons... :)
Since artsi didn't have the time yet, let me post a few examples of OG PS4 settings and PS4 Pro settings.
For the best comparison open each screenshot in it's own browser tab and then click back and forth between them.

OG PS4:
30918138155_5dd6d7d076_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30918127475_393339a974_o.png

OG PS4:
30802137222_68d55eb656_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882351536_1a63445c52_o.png

OG PS4:
30802143252_554f23792e_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882338846_6367094d8a_o.png

OG PS4:
30882533846_08180f112e_o.png

PS4 Pro:
30882537606_433c4be652_o.png

I've got more, but I don't want to spam this page with them. Just tell me if you want some more.

Kaze2212

Since artsi didn't have the time yet, let me post a few examples of OG PS4 settings and PS4 Pro settings.
For the best comparison open each screenshot in it's own browser tab and then click back and forth between them.

I've got more, but I don't want to spam this page with them. Just tell me if you want some more.

Are these LQ or HQ mode?

Kaze2212

One is obviously LQ and one is HQ in each pair.

Oh, I didn't download the demo. I thought there was a LQ and a HQ mode for the pro version. I was referring to that. Maybe I misunderstood.

Obvioulsy one of those screens is from the OG PS4.

Tyaren

Oh, I didn't download the demo. I thought there was a LQ and a HQ mode for the pro version. I was referring to that. Maybe I misunderstood.

Obvioulsy one of those screens is from the OG PS4.

I misunderstood too. ;) These are both from the PS4 Pro. One is LQ and one is HQ. The LQ versions should be identical to the OG PS4 settings however.

BONKERS

If the improvement is already like this. I can't wait to see what the full phat PS4P patch brings.
That much closer to CG AA/IQ. (High contrast edges and shader aliasing are still an issue here)

Also: Yay texture filtering. It's only taken what,15 years for HQ texture filtering finally on consoles? (Texture filtering in some games, like the Bioshock PS4 releases, is about on Par with the texture filtering present in OG Xbox 1 games.)

artsi

I compared OG PS4 and LQ Pro versions and they seem to be 100% same (except performance wise).

So HQ Pro version is the only real Pro version for this demo.

Asd202

I dont know man, based on a few links I looked around, it seems like the 4K resolution support and the 1080p 60 fps (better optimized) modes will be available in a patch that comes in december...

Way I understand it, upon game's release on 29 Nov. the game will have the modes that are included now in Judgement Demo which you perfectly described.

True 4K and further optimized 60 fps mode will come in December...

which sucks... :/

Please make me eat crow about this... cause it looks like I will have to wait extra time for the true experience...

Yeah that's what I want to know I was planning on buying a pro and 4K TV to play this in "4K"on release date but that may not be possible...

I think I read someone here complaining about frame pacing issues at 30fps, but he wasn't sure.
It definitely feels like Bloodborne to me locked at 30fps high quality, feels infinitely better in unlocked mode for me.

I am not an expert on frame pacing, but the game stutters for me when sprinting, similar to Bloodborne as said, and that doesn't fee great :/

We need RTSS on consoles!

BONKERS

It definitely feels like Bloodborne to me locked at 30fps high quality, feels infinitely better in unlocked mode for me.

I am not an expert on frame pacing, but the game stutters for me when sprinting, similar to Bloodborne as said, and that doesn't fee great :/

DF will no doubt show that it does have issues. The only hope is that it gets fixed. There's nothing worse than a game with a solid framerate, but it feels like shit because bad frametimes
Just makes me wish BB got a patch that fixed it's issues. :(

jett

D-Member

You're probably completely in the right.

dark10x (who works at Digital Foundry) had mentioned before frame pacing issues with the "gold" version.

Really hoping we see some support out of the gate. The "gold" version I've played does not run well AND it suffers from frame pacing issues. Screw that.

Mafia 3 launched with frame pacing issues as well but the devs fixed it within a week.

So that's kinda sad, since the gold version is what will be on retail. Unless he meant the former gold version, before the delay.

BONKERS

https://youtu.be/C59uuNwzJTQ?t=241 (4:01, look at the arm of Noctis.)

Man what is going around some objects like characters when standing stationary at 4k here? It's like the pixels are dancing around and flickering. (In the background following this and Cindy talking. Happens there too)
They dont' show the same scene on light or OG PS4, so hard to say if it happens there.

benzy

dark10x (who works at Digital Foundry) had mentioned before frame pacing issues with the "gold" version.

So that's kinda sad, since the gold version is what will be on retail. Unless he meant the former gold version, before the delay.

Dark was talking about the August master build when he said "gold" version.

jett

D-Member
I misunderstood too. ;) These are both from the PS4 Pro. One is LQ and one is HQ. The LQ versions should be identical to the OG PS4 settings however.

Thanks for the pics, but that's not true. LQ Pro mode runs at 1080p, regular PS4 FFXV runs most of the time at a subnative, dynamic resolution.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thanks for the pics, but that's not true. LQ Pro mode runs at 1080p, regular PS4 FFXV runs most of the time at a subnative, dynamic resolution.

I guess LQ might be what will have 60 FPS and it's just not implemented completely in the game yet ? or maybe they've gotten OG PS4 version polished enough to get it at 1080p, which would be fantastic.

jett

D-Member
I guess LQ might be what will have 60 FPS and it's just not implemented completely in the game yet ? or maybe they've gotten OG PS4 version polished enough to get it at 1080p, which would be fantastic.

LQ runs unlocked in the demo, over 30fps. So that's their "60fps" mode.

I dunno about OG PS4 running at 1080p, I don't think it does in this demo.

TrojanAg

Damn...looking at the comparison pics and those are very nice improvements to the antialiasing, increase in foliage and better shadows. This is what I was hoping to see. I'm not a huge fan of unlocked frame rates, so I might stick with the 30fps even after the December patch

When you guys mention possible frame pacing issues, your only talking about the HQ mode right? I didn't really notice any of that in the LQ mode. Strange that it would only be a problem in one mode if that's really the case.

LQ runs unlocked in the demo, over 30fps. So that's their "60fps" mode.

I dunno about OG PS4 running at 1080p, I don't think it does in this demo.

Are we sure it runs unlocked? I put a good 30 minutes into the demo today. Then I played Hitman which is unlocked (and you can easily pinpoint the variance in FPS as it fluctuates between 40-60). And I could tell Hitman was unlocked but felt that FFXV was just a locked 30.

jett

D-Member
When you guys mention possible frame pacing issues, your only talking about the HQ mode right? I didn't really notice any of that in the LQ mode. Strange that it would only be a problem in one mode if that's really the case.

Are we sure it runs unlocked? I put a good 30 minutes into the demo today. Then I played Hitman which is unlocked (and you can easily pinpoint the variance in FPS as it fluctuates between 40-60). And I could tell Hitman was unlocked but felt that FFXV was just a locked 30.

Oh I'm not exactly sure, I haven't played myself, but it's what I've read here.

Oh I'm not exactly sure, I haven't played myself, but it's what I've read here.

Yea, I recall a thread saying it was unlocked. But to be completely honest, I'm 95% confident it's a locked 30 FPS because I can't recall a single instance where it felt like it was moving into a higher framerate or then moving down into a lower FPS.

It just felt like an extremely solid 30 FPS.

Mailbox

XV in lightweight is definitely unlocked. Its just pretty smooth is all

doemaaan

Stupid noob question, but I shouldn't have a problem running that 4K mode on my 4K TV when it doesn't support HDR, right? I just won't have access to the HDR feature…?

Hey guys. I know this is completely off topic. But this might help some people get a PS4 Pro.

Credit cards like Chase Unlimited Freedom & Capital One Quicksilver offer a $150 or $100 cash back reward if you spend $500 in the first 3 months.

I just applied and got approved for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card. It will arrive in the mail before FF15 comes out. Gonna use that card to buy FF15 & my PS4 Pro and get the $150 credit to my account. So getting a Pro for $250.00 not including tax. You just have to spend $500 within the first 3 months of having the card.

Just wanted to post this, might help anyone out that wants to upgrade to pro but wants to save on some cash. I am buying a PS4 Pro just for FF15.

Ricker

Maybe at the same time as the patch for the Holiday stuff and Gladio DLC,which should be next week hopefully...(well holiday stuff anyway,not sure about Gladio)

Top Bottom