• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV aiming for 60FPS/1080p on PS4 Pro | UP - dated Feb 21st

AHK_Hero

Good news. Picking up a Pro today primarily for this game.

Although I love the target of 60fps, if it's not stable enough I'd rather go with locked 30.

by the gods. what is this shit.

A relatively (i mean it :p) old screenshot before SE went hard in on optimization. While the progress at this stage they've made isn't totally atypical for games development it's still incredibly impressive how they've optimized when you see their CPU usage etc.

takriel

Bravo, Tabata. 60 fps should be the standard. Nice to see you guys embracing it!

I might have to buy FF 15 now, and a Pro. Hmm.

Tyaren

Alright guys, now I will be a bit less critical of the Pro, I guess, after I just got my own today. :D
I hope very much there will be an all graphical bells and whistles mode in the future...but I kinda doubt it...

Ishida

Banned
Dear Sony:

Screw YOU for not bringing the PS4 Pro officially to Latin America, thus forcing me to pay for overpriced imports.

XOXO
Ishida.

9ctn1cv.gif

Philippo

I don't know, the improvements are veeeeeeery nice, but i think i'll stick to my OG PS4 for the 1st playthrough since i could afford a Pro but its a risky move, and then i might as well wait a couple of years for a PC version with a beefy computer and play it 4k/60fps with crazy details and all the DLCs, or maybe a PS5 version.

They need to fix some details like LOD , AA and shadows. I hope the overhaul update won't take that long next year. Anyway this is good as a start.

12BoM

So this 4k/30 mode will be available at launch and should be a siginificant difference even on 1080p monitors right

Simo

So this 4k/30 mode will be available at launch and should be a siginificant difference even on 1080p monitors right

I don't know about significant but it should look good because of the supersampling etc.

Even the December patch is a "lightweight" version making sound the more time they mess around with it and get the dlc out, we could see more Pro benefits later down the line.

Glad I made the decision to upgrade to the Pro now. So as someone who isn't very knowledgeable on the technical aspects of IQ, will 4k30 with downsampling look more impressive than 1080p60? I don't mind waiting for the latter update (what's a few weeks after this long), but my main priority is the best details and quality being displayed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Glad I made the decision to upgrade to the Pro now. So as someone who isn't very knowledgeable on the technical aspects of IQ, will 4k30 with downsampling look more impressive than 1080p60? I don't mind waiting for the latter update (what's a few weeks after this long), but my main priority is the best details and quality being displayed.

visually yeah. I doubt its native 4K though, more like 1800p or 1400p for high resolution mode and 1080p for 60fps mode.

Mcdohl

What is the base version going to be? 1080/30fps?

That would be like 13 bucks per fps if you buy ps 4pro solely for the 60fps.

I might cave...so indecisive, help!

Will it also add bells & whistles?

icespide

Banned
anyone else excited but also kind of annoyed by this? if the 60fps patch isn't out until December I don't even want to start the game until then, so its kind of like another delay for me

Ishida

Banned
What is the base version going to be? 1080/30fps?

Dynamic resolution (Depending on the console) at ~30fps.

anyone else excited but also kind of annoyed by this? if the 60fps patch isn't out until December I don't even want to start the game until then, so its kind of like another delay for me

Not me, at least. I plan of starting my first game with 4K/30fps, and then my second playthrough for 1080p/60fps.

Gbraga

You'll have to test it for yourself in motion to see.

It might not be a popular opinion, but I personally wouldn't even think of downsampling a game if I can't run it at 60fps that way, and I can at native res. The decrease in temporal resolution makes it so all of the amazing detail I get from downsampling will appear as blurry the moment I start actually playing and moving the camera. It'll look amazing in screenshots, but in motion I'll take native res and 60fps any day.

visually yeah. I doubt its native 4K though, more like 1800p or 1400p for high resolution mode and 1080p for 60fps mode.

Thanks, I'll likely just play in the day 1 mode then so I don't have to tiptoe around any story spoilers after the game is released. I believe there was a new game plus mode confirmed so I can just try that mode on the second run through it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping for better performance in FFXV after the choppy demos was one of the primary reasons I reserved a PS4 Pro. Glad to hear this might turn out as I hoped!

You'll have to test it for yourself in motion to see.

It might not be a popular opinion, but I personally wouldn't even think of downsampling a game if I can't run it at 60fps that way, and I can at native res. The decrease in temporal resolution makes it so all of the amazing detail I get from downsampling will appear as blurry the moment I start actually playing and moving the camera. It'll look amazing in screenshots, but in motion I'll take native res and 60fps any day.

Yeah I definitely understand where you are coming from. For me, I tend to put emphasis on things like detail, draw distance, etc because I'm just used to 30 fps as a standard. I'm sure from a gameplay perspective after trying the 60fps mode on this I will prefer it, but at least for my initial experience with this game I am looking for it to be as much of a visual spectacle as possible. So as long as that 30fps is locked or close to it, I doubt I'll have any complaints.

Simo

If you think like that you'll never play it. Lol It sounded like the more time they spend with the Pro the more possibilities of other Pro patches coming. On reddit they said the December patches was referred to as the "lightweight" version.

Sillverrr

That's a bold statement to make. 60fps at 1080p would be a major reason for me to consider buying the PS4 Pro, sooner rather than later. I've definitely decided to wait on a 4K TV, as there's no way in hell I'm buying an LCD (especially edge-lit), and OLEDs still lag behind plasma for gaming purposes.

Are we sure they can pull off a locked 60fps? There's a huge difference between this and unlocked but variable.

Rizific

I said it before that I'm holding out for the pc version strictly for 60fps. If this holds up, I'm in for a pro and ff15. I wasn't even considering a pro until at least horizon zero dawn. But hot damn! Make me give you money Sony, do it.

That's a bold statement to make. 60fps at 1080p would be a major reason for me to consider buying the PS4 Pro, sooner rather than later. I've definitely decided to wait on a 4K TV, as there's no way in hell I'm buying an LCD (especially edge-lit), and OLEDs still lag behind plasma for gaming purposes.

Are we sure they can pull off a locked 60fps? There's a huge difference between this and unlocked but variable.

Locked? Never.

Only a fool would think that... pro ain't got juice like that. I'm just glad it's an option lol

Gbraga

Yeah I definitely understand where you are coming from. For me, I tend to put emphasis on things like detail, draw distance, etc because I'm just used to 30 fps as a standard. I'm sure from a gameplay perspective after trying the 60fps mode on this I will prefer it, but at least for my initial experience with this game I am looking for it to be as much of a visual spectacle as possible. So as long as that 30fps is locked or close to it, I doubt I'll have any complaints.

Oh yeah, it'll be glorious. Not to mention, the first patch might not be very close to a 60fps experience, and it might take time to get it like that, so might as well go for the stable one for your first time through, and maybe do NG+ with unlocked framerate, and hopefully by the time you're there it'll be running much better.

I'd be impressed if they can manage to keep the game hovering around 50-60fps without any drops below 50. As always, it's great to see players finally get more options like this.

I imagine the dungeons will run smoother than the open-world assuming there's not too many enemies on screen.

Top Bottom