• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Dengeki Info: More Sequel Teasing, Tons of Characters

7Th

You don't know that. We still don't know much about the game. If Nomura went out of his to say that there will me more female characters it probably means that there will be playable female characters.

The way in which he talked about the fifth playable character makes me think that will be the entire gang.

Vamphuntr

The whole serialization/sequel teasing is kind of worrying. I don't think I have many good examples of story heavy RPG with direct sequels where the plot didn't get worse as sequels got released.

Maybe they should wait to see how people will react to the game when they play XV unless they want another XIII-2 scenario.

The plot in the XIII games is kind of awful at this point. The story in the Mass Effect got worse with each new installments and was basically close to fan fiction level by the time the credits started rolling. Xenosaga plot got more difficult to understand with each new game. Even X-2 had a worse plot than X.

At least if they are thinking about making sequels at this point they can think of the whole plot of the "series" in advance and they won't have to make up stuff as they go.

The part about using the gimmick from each console isn't new. They were already doing so on 360/PS3. You would unlock Avatar Items/Gamerpics/profile pic/XMB Theme depending on your platform.

Not a fan of sequels to individual installments. What used to be so great was that each game was a complete journey with a finale and conclusion. It made them feel huge. It's taken so long to get this game as it is, and the idea of the story not even concluding in it bugs me, as well as worries me in relation to the coherency of the plot. I realize most FF game stories are whacky or whatever but when you set that aside they usually had some great moments and were easy enough to understand.

This doesn't sit well with me, regardless of not knowing how the story plays out. So on those merits perhaps I should bite my tongue until I know more, but it's not like I have a promising history to go buy either.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
While it's awesome that we're getting these tidbits of info, I feel like by and large this is stuff that we already knew through the E3 stuff and if there are any new updates it isn't substantial. Getting new info is definitely better than none, however.

While it's awesome that we're getting these tidbits of info, I feel like by and large this is stuff that we already knew through the E3 stuff and if there are any new updates it isn't substantial. Getting new info is definitely better than none, however.

I'll definitely take regular (if not slightly redundant) updates over months of radio silence.

Lightning her lack of impact.

She really soured the idea of sequels to fans.

FFX-2 soured the idea of sequels to me. While I enjoyed FFXIII-2 and even aspects of its story, as well as its relatively ballsy conclusion, it wasn't quite enough to make me reconsider my stance on the idea of story sequels. We'll see what FFXIII-3 does but...

RocBase

Sometimes, but not always. The most amazing time for rapid succession of releases was during the PS1/PS2 transition: FFVII (1997), FFVIII (1999), FFIX (2000), FFX (2001), FFXI (2002). Then, there was a huge jump to FFXII which didn't release until 2006, unfortunately.

Oh wow, I totally mixed up the dates in my head lol (thought VII was 95, VIII 99 and IX 01).

I'll definitely take regular (if not slightly redundant) updates over months of radio silence.

Same here. Make up for all those years of nothing!

DaFunk

Neo Member
Sometimes, but not always. The most amazing time for rapid succession of releases was during the PS1/PS2 transition: FFVII (1997), FFVIII (1999), FFIX (2000), FFX (2001), FFXI (2002). Then, there was a huge jump to FFXII which didn't release until 2006, unfortunately.

To think we could possibly have been at like FFXIX or FFXX right now...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
First arc, mafia corruption family wars.

Second arc, end of the world, crystals, gods.

First arc game 2, the moon is another planet, womgz

second arc game 2, time travel bitches!

first arc game 3, 1000 year in the future, high schools setting! zettai ryuki!

secnd arc gamz 3, religion are evil, fight them.

It's so crazy that could be real considering how S-E managed to ruin X, XII and XIII's universes with its sequels ahah!

Famassu

So for example, if someone doesn't like FFXV, are they going to have to deal with XV sequels for the next 4-5 years and wait for XVI to come out?
Of course not. If you don't remember, Square Enix was developing XIII and its sequels, XIV, Versus XIII and Type-0, all big scale FF games, simultaneously. If it wasn't for XIV 1.0 and the clusterfuck it created, we could probably have had the next mainline FF not VsXIII/XV by now. They are 100% surely already working on Final Fantasy XVI. FFXV and KHIII cannot be all that they are working on for the next 2-3 years and we know they have people like Ito not doing anything we know of and Tabata only co-directing FFXV who have not revealed what (else) they are working on atm. FFXV is possibly for 2014, a sequel would happen no earlier than 2016, probably 2017, they will have FF games between 2014 and 2016/2017, big ones even.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Poor Lightning. I am really liking her in my play through of XIII. I'll be jumping on XIII-2 right after I finish.

She is definitely one of the best characters in the series. It's just that S-E ruined her with the sequel (she's another character) and by forcing her everywhere in a couple of years. People grew tired of her.

I feel fairly certain that Stella is either a playable character or the main antagonist. I don't think they'd be giving her so much screentime and placing as much importance on her if she wasn't.

This is what I hate about not making these games self-contained. You almost always end up with one of two scenarios:

1. The game ends either in a cliffhanger, or with a substantial amount of loose plot threads in order to drive interest in the sequel.

2. The game comes to a complete conclusion, and the sequel generates some forced conflict in order to build another story.

Sequels to FF games have typically followed the latter approach (X-2 and XIII-2), since they weren't originally planned when the first games were written. XV's story was also written a while ago before they had any sequel intentions, but they could intentionally sever the story since they've decided on sequels so far before release.

I really wish they would just completely conclude this story in one game. I know they want to reuse assets and gameplay systems in future games so they can lower their development costs, but in that case I would just prefer to see them tell an entirely separate story set in that world, with a completely new cast, etc. They can still reuse the environment assets, combat system, etc. Perhaps it could even be a story that was happening concurrently with the events of the first game, which would be pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure we're going to see one of the two approaches I outlined above :(.
The mythos surrounding FNC allows them to take many different creative paths to the stories told within. I feel XIII-2's plot was forced, but not outside the bounds of the FNC mythos they formed for themselves, with LR finishing off the "13 Arc" of FNC and XV starting a whole new one. I'm ok with this, personally.

Famassu

FFX-2 soured the idea of sequels to me. While I enjoyed FFXIII-2 and even aspects of its story, as well as its relatively ballsy conclusion, it wasn't quite enough to make me reconsider my stance on the idea of story sequels. We'll see what FFXIII-3 does but...
The problem being... those are Toriyama games. I know KHs are not much better in that way, but Nomura's said XV's story will be relatively simple so there's hopefully no fear of convoluted time travel or changing world rules as drastic as in XIII saga, where it goes feom somewhat simple to time travel to 500 years later Apocalypse. XV has potential for a more Matsuno like approach, it's the first time someone else would make straight mainline FF sequels.

butman

At least FF V, VI and VIII still untouchables in only one game.

SE i double dare you to put your hands on them!

injurai

Banned
It's so crazy that could be real considering how S-E managed to ruin X, XII and XIII's universes with its sequels ahah!

how is XII ruined?

XII, Tactics, Vagrant Story...? Don't know how Revenant Wings turned out but it seems easy to dismiss.

mentioned here:
Originally announced as a PS3 title, Versus XIII had seen the bulk of its development on that platform – a trial that would prove too limiting for the vision Nomura wanted to convey. “For example, when you would speed up a vehicle such as a car on the world map, the processing power could no longer keep up,” stressed Nomura.
Hopefully someday we will see a chocobo in Final Fantasy again.

Famassu

Hopefully someday we will see a chocobo in Final Fantasy again.
What on Earth are you talking about? XIII & XIII-2 have chocobos, as does Type-0 and FFXIV. XII also had chocobos. Versus XIII was also confirmed to have them, so XV will have them.

X is the only mainline game that didn't have them in any significant proportion, yet it also had them.

Zoe

This wasn't mentioned earlier:

- Casting has taken a long time. They took several years to find someone who fit Stella's image.

People who like cute girls aren't the only audience that can be "pandered" to.

This is true, but this game is trying to tell a serious story in a realistic world. Having a nine-year-old girl (who is, of course, "actually 18 years old" so the pervs can't get arrested) running around fighting giant monsters with a building-sized sword and flashing her panties every five seconds would ruin that realism.

Foolworm

This is all hot air and hype. Their visions are becoming more and more grandiose; meanwhile, they can't even push out a finished product. They could have pushed out an entire trilogy of games in the time they spent working on XV, talk about counting your eggs before they hatch.

This is all hot air and hype. Their visions are becoming more and more grandiose; meanwhile, they can't even push out a finished product. They could have pushed out an entire trilogy of games in the time they spent working on XV, talk about counting your eggs before they hatch.

It's not exactly Nomura's fault that Square kept prioritizing XIII and XIV over Versus the entire gen and taking his staff away to work on those projects instead.

injurai

Banned

They didn't start production until 2011. So they are pretty much right on track. Everything before that was pre-production and the CGI proof of concepts.

sublimit

Banned
- There are a lot of male characters, but expect some females ones too besides Stella and the black-haired girl. Expect much more characters than the ones we saw in the latest trailer;

I hope the Dragoon woman we saw in a previous trailer is still in the game.

dramatis

The curious thing is, if Warp is limited to Noctis alone, what special abilities on the other playable characters can equal or surpass that particular skill?

Top Bottom