• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Dengeki Info: More Sequel Teasing, Tons of Characters

As long as the first game doesn't end on a cliffhanger, I will be okay with a potential sequel (depending on how it is done, of course). But as others have said, I really would prefer if they did away with these direct sequels and just made completely new universes/worlds/characters. *shrug*

The thing is, with the money and time that goes into these AAA productions, having a one and done deal is difficult to justify. At least if you're a business trying to turn a profit.

ironcreed

Banned
I will not mind direct sequels if XV ends up being great. Hell, I am enjoying XIII so much (LTTP) that I already can't wait to play XIII-2 and am going to go ahead and pick it up. Will be buying Lightning Returns next year as well.

Zoator

- With the timeframe they're considering for the release of the game, it'll be hard to wrap up the story with the first game;

This is what I hate about not making these games self-contained. You almost always end up with one of two scenarios:

1. The game ends either in a cliffhanger, or with a substantial amount of loose plot threads in order to drive interest in the sequel.

2. The game comes to a complete conclusion, and the sequel generates some forced conflict in order to build another story.

Sequels to FF games have typically followed the latter approach (X-2 and XIII-2), since they weren't originally planned when the first games were written. XV's story was also written a while ago before they had any sequel intentions, but they could intentionally sever the story since they've decided on sequels so far before release.

I really wish they would just completely conclude this story in one game. I know they want to reuse assets and gameplay systems in future games so they can lower their development costs, but in that case I would just prefer to see them tell an entirely separate story set in that world, with a completely new cast, etc. They can still reuse the environment assets, combat system, etc. Perhaps it could even be a story that was happening concurrently with the events of the first game, which would be pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure we're going to see one of the two approaches I outlined above :(.

DaBuddaDa

Hope this puts a stop to those stupid, baseless "SQUARE IS SEXIST/DOES SQUARE THINK MY BOOBS CAN'T KICK ASS" tangents.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting more females, but some of the comments I've read on the subject have garnered the biggest eyerolls I have ever done.

Square certainly leveraged their female characters through X and XIII very well, making them mascots for the franchise. A lot of FF fans are of that ilk, and it's understandable why they would be concerned about a lack of female representation shown so far when that is one of the key reasons that drew them into the series in the first place. There is a wide net of FF fans that don't always cross over each other.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
[/B]

I feel like this, a majority of FF's are self contained, why not have a few that have sequels.

People are screaming creative bankruptcy, but in the end if people like the characters, they want more game, and Square is wiling to give it to them.

Its less creative bankruptcy and more you being a minority really.

I don't think they do it because people like the characters, they're going to shove the sequel down our throats no matter what. It's because they can use the assets again, it's business. They've all but said as much.

I think public interest in Final Fantasy 13 is a wee bit lower than other games in the franchise, no? Yet we've gotten two sequels to it. Do you honestly believe that's because people love the world and characters of that particular game so much, or that Square-Enix had major issues developing for the Xbox 360 and PS3? It was either make two sequels to 13 or not make money for the next 4-5 years. Internally someone probably had to come up with a contingency plan when Versus wasn't making progress. XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are cash grabs to keep them going until they can release the next big thing.

injurai

Banned
Square certainly leveraged their female characters through X and XIII very well, making them mascots for the franchise. A lot of FF fans are of that ilk, and it's understandable why they would be concerned about a lack of female representation shown so far when that is one of the key reasons that drew them into the series in the first place. There is a wide net of FF fans that don't always cross over each other.

that is Square's largest mountain to scale

sappyday

This is what I hate about not making these games self-contained. You almost always end up with one of two scenarios:

1. The game ends either in a cliffhanger, or with a substantial amount of loose plot threads in order to drive interest in the sequel.

2. The game comes to a complete conclusion, and the sequel generates some forced conflict in order to build another story.

Sequels to FF games have typically followed the latter approach (X-2 and XIII-2), since they weren't originally planned when the first games were written. XV's story was also written a while ago before they had any sequel intentions, but they could intentionally sever the story since they've decided on sequels so far before release.

I really wish they would just completely conclude this story in one game. I know they want to reuse assets and gameplay systems in future games so they can lower their development costs, but in that case I would just prefer to see them tell an entirely separate story set in that world, with a completely new cast, etc. They can still reuse the environment assets, combat system, etc. Perhaps it could even be a story that was happening concurrently with the events of the first game, which would be pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure we're going to see one of the two approaches I outlined above :(.

I would rather have the latter so if the sequel looks like shit or rushed then I'll just pretend that it doesn't exist.

eCNO

Neo Member
I would rather have the latter so if the sequel looks like shit or rushed then I'll just pretend that it doesn't exist.

Same. It would feel really awkward for a Final Fantasy game to not have a fitting ending to sum up the whole of its parts... After saying that I believe this is true for every game. :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There should be a kid in this game.

Where's my equivalent of Hope/Krile/Rydia?

caffeware

Banned
So sequels to mainline titles is the norm now for SE. I guess they make a lot of money off them since they are mostly reused assets.

While your at it, make FF VI-2 in 16-bit style with a AAA team.

First arc, mafia corruption family wars.

Second arc, end of the world, crystals, gods.

First arc game 2, the moon is another planet, womgz

second arc game 2, time travel bitches!

first arc game 3, 1000 year in the future, high schools setting! zettai ryuki!

secnd arc gamz 3, religion are evil, fight them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
New info:

- With the timeframe they're considering for the release of the game, it'll be hard to wrap up the story with the first game;

Correct me if I'm wrong .. but isn't the scenario/story creation usually THE FIRST PART OF THE PROCESS ? so that gives them .. what .. a heads up of 7 or so years to have concluded the story ?

if they're implying its because of strictly development related issues .. does that mean they're planning to cut off the game's story content in order to speed up asset related content-development ?

yeah THAT'LL GO GREAT ..

good job squarenix, you dun' goofed up again.

Kunan

If there's a to be continued ending, with poor to no resolution, I'll be unimpressed. The first game should be standalone and wrap up nicely, then let any other game expand upon that and wrap up nicely themselves.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The worst thing about episodic gaming is that nobody knows if there's gonna ever be a next installment. Other than that, eh, I'm up.

ironcreed

Banned
If there's a to be continued ending, with poor to no resolution, I'll be unimpressed. The first game should be standalone and wrap up nicely, then let any other game expand upon that and wrap up nicely themselves.

If they give me like a 50 hour or so adventure that I am enjoying the hell out of, then I will gladly welcome another game or two that continues the story. But that's just me. *shrugs*

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The game is shaping up nicely. Not too sure on how I feel about inevitable sequels, but if the world is cool, and seeing as they're planned rather than out of the blue, I'm genuinely interested.

More characters is interesting too. Hopefully not too much though, as it may take development away from our established cast. I also better not see one fucking loli in this either. We have badass old men dominating most of the roster, which is refreshing to see in a JRPG nowadays, and change is exactly what this genre needs, and, so far, this game is delivering.

RocBase

It's certainly understandable that they'd want females and be concerned, but what isn't understandable is why some of these people are accusing SE of sexism and pretending that SE hasn't made a series of good female characters that can stand on their own two feet just so these complainers can make the gross, and absolutely thoughtless assumption that SE is suddenly sexist. Just because we now have a cast full of guys. If anything it's their own thought process that's inherently sexist.

Zoator

If they give me like a 50 hour or so adventure that I am enjoying the hell out of, then I will gladly welcome another game or two that continues the story. But that's just me. *shrugs*

They've kept us waiting on this for 7 years now, and it'll probably be well over 8 years before we actually get to play it. I would certainly be upset if the game we got after all of that time didn't conclude. If they want to make sequels set in the same world with different characters, or create some sort of conflict afterwards to start another story, then that's fine. But they should at least deliver us a complete experience, in terms of story and gameplay, for this game that they have been promising us for the better part of a decade.

Famassu

Nothing in that says the game isn't self contained. Nomura has said recently that XV WILL conclude the conflict that starts in it. The game is about Noctis going on a quest to retrieve the crystal and by the end of the game I'm 100% certain will have either saved the crystal or destroyed it if necessary. In case of the latter, the second game could then be about the global aftermath of a world without crystals.

That quote is more about the scope of the game. They have had discussions about whether to scale it down or keep the scale. They chose to KEEP it and Nomura is just commenting on how that means it'll be hard for them to finish development in time because of that. He's not saying they will cut the game in half. That's not how game development works, they can't just go all "oh well, we have to release the game in two weeks, let's stop the game here and continue the story in a sequel." Really, that quote is really about them NOT cutting the game in half even though the pressure is there after they decided not to scale it down.

Kunan

That's not quite what I'm saying. I have zero problem with them continuing the story, I just don't want them to take the easy way out and forget that each game needs to have its own conclusion as well. End it with ties to a next game, but don't forget that there needs to be conflict resolution in this title as well, its own interim villain, etc.

My example would be Star Wars Ep IV: A New Hope. After viewing it, there's room for more, but you feel like the movie has completed.

Kyon

Banned
Nothing in that says the game isn't self contained. Nomura has said recently that XV WILL conclude the conflict that starts in it. The game is about Noctis going on a quest to retrieve the crystal and by the end of the game I'm 100% certain will have either saved the crystal or destroyed it if necessary. In case of the latter, the second game could then be about the global aftermath of a world without crystals.

That quote is more about the scope of the game. They have had discussions about whether to scale it down or keep the scale. They chose to KEEP it and Nomura is just commenting on how that means it'll be hard for them to finish development in time because of that. He's not saying they will cut the game in half. That's not how game development works, they can't just go all "oh well, we have to release the game in two weeks, let's stop the game here and continue the story in a sequel." Really, that quote is really about them NOT cutting the game in half even though the pressure is there after they decided not to scale it down.

Valnen

This sounds bad IMO. I want FF XV to give us a satisfying conclusion and not a "To Be Continued" vibe along with a lot of unexplained things.

I have no problem with buying 1 or 2 sequels to get the full story if they release them in a timely manner similar to FFXIII and if they're actually good games.

Polish the game mechanics, make what story you have great and release. I want to play now. If we end up wanting more, give us more. We'll buy it all, no problem.

ironcreed

Banned
They've kept us waiting on this for 7 years now, and it'll probably be well over 8 years before we actually get to play it. I would certainly be upset if the game we got after all of that time didn't conclude. If they want to make sequels set in the same world with different characters, or create some sort of conflict afterwards to start another story, then that's fine. But they should at least deliver us a complete experience, in terms of story and gameplay, for this game that they have been promising us for the better part of a decade.

I agree that it should not be too much of a cliff-hanger. I was simply saying that if they give me a packed experience that I am enjoying, then I will gladly welcome a continuation with the characters and that world.

The thing is, with the money and time that goes into these AAA productions, having a one and done deal is difficult to justify. At least if you're a business trying to turn a profit.

Yeah, I totally get that. I guess I just miss the days during the SNES/PS1 era where they released new FF games back to back, and they were all really different (like worlds/characters/etc).

Part of the problem with the XIII saga is that for the people who didn't like the first game, they probably had little to no interest in the sequels. So those people have not had any Final Fantasy recently that interested them. In previous years, if you didn't like one FF, no problem... The next one would be all new and would be different without a huge wait (generally speaking, I know there have been some long-ish waits for some games).

So for example, if someone doesn't like FFXV, are they going to have to deal with XV sequels for the next 4-5 years and wait for XVI to come out?

Zoator

That quote seemed pretty unambiguous to me. "With the timeframe they're considering for the release of the game, it'll be hard to wrap up the story with the first game." And who said anything about two weeks? They're probably two years from release and are already talking about this. Also I mentioned two different scenarios in my post, the latter of which does account for a self-contained game. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

7Th

Remember when people told me XV was going to be an epic, large-scale game instead of an incomplete teaser? Fun times. Nomura is the new Dyack.

ironcreed

Banned
That's not quite what I'm saying. I have zero problem with them continuing the story, I just don't want them to take the easy way out and forget that each game needs to have its own conclusion as well. End it with ties to a next game but don't forget that there needs to be conflict resolution in this title as well, its own interim villain, etc.

I hear you. Too much of a cliff-hanger can leave a sour taste. Just so long as they give us a nice resolution to the first part, while leaving the door open for the inevitable continuation, then it should be fine.

Kunan

I hear you. Too much of a cliff-hanger can leave a sour taste. Just so long as they give us a nice resolution to the first part, while leaving the door open for the inevitable continuation, then it should be fine.
Yup! I look forward to finally getting my hands on this bad boy.

Nibel

Remember when people told me XV was going to be an epic, large-scale game instead of an incomplete teaser? Fun times. Nomura is the new Dyack.

It can be a epic, large-scale game and a teaser at the same time

And Nomura didn't make questionable GAF threads :lol

injurai

Banned

This is what you get Nirolak when you split bump our megathread sanctuary.

Kyon

Banned
No word on if there is a world map?

thats been the plan since they released the first bits of info about the game

oh there you are.

So now that more females are coming you have 0 comment and now you wanna move them goal posts again? Just as i thought

Go_Ly_Dow

No word on if there is a world map?

mentioned here:

Originally announced as a PS3 title, Versus XIII had seen the bulk of its development on that platform – a trial that would prove too limiting for the vision Nomura wanted to convey. “For example, when you would speed up a vehicle such as a car on the world map, the processing power could no longer keep up,” stressed Nomura.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
thats been the plan since they released the first bits of info about the game

oh there you are.

So now that more females are coming you have 0 comment and now you wanna move them goal posts again? Just as i thought

Let's not incite arguments in this manner. Let's just keep on topic.

JaseMath

New info:

Damn it...I hate the idea of this in an RPG. Give me one complete, cohesive, tight package. I don't want to have to play multiple 40+ hour games to experience one complete story.

Remember when we had to wait months or years on end to get updates like this for Versus? Fun times.

I'm really looking forward to seeing their plans for the Share button.

Kyon

Banned
Let's not incite arguments in this manner. Let's just keep on topic.

Not really an argument. Just funny cause she had such a strong opinion in all the other threads i was curious about her opinion now. Guess it wasnt about just females. Oh well

RocBase

Yeah, I totally get that. I guess I just miss the days during the SNES/PS1 era where they released new FF games back to back, and they were all really different (like worlds/characters/etc).

Part of the problem with the XIII saga is that for the people who didn't like the first game, they probably had little to no interest in the sequels. So those people have not had any Final Fantasy recently that interested them. In previous years, if you didn't like one FF, no problem... The next one would be all new and would be different without a huge wait (generally speaking, I know there have been some long-ish waits for some games).

So for example, if someone doesn't like FFXV, are they going to have to deal with XV sequels for the next 4-5 years and wait for XVI to come out?

There has always been a gap of several years between each installment...I think if the sequels happened between that timeframe while the reveal / buildup to the next installment happens, it could work out and everyone would have something to look forward to. Otherwise yeah, that would suck.

Part of the problem and resentment with the XIII saga is that we got absolutely nothing else while that mess was going on, even though there was an FF game to talk about. There was a lot of frustration about the lack of info regarding Versus.

sappyday

What? It still has no playable female characters.

You don't know that. We still don't know much about the game. If Nomura went out of his to say that there will me more female characters it probably means that there will be playable female characters.

There has always been a gap of several years between each installment...

Sometimes, but not always. The most amazing time for rapid succession of releases was during the PS1/PS2 transition: FFVII (1997), FFVIII (1999), FFIX (2000), FFX (2001), FFXI (2002). Then, there was a huge jump to FFXII which didn't release until 2006, unfortunately.

Top Bottom