• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Dengeki Info: More Sequel Teasing, Tons of Characters

Espada

Jubern said:
- There are a lot of male characters, but expect some females ones too besides Stella and the black-haired girl. Expect much more characters than the ones we saw in the latest trailer;
- Cor joins later, first party is Noct and the three other dudes;

The real question is whether any of those female characters are even playable. My guess is that Stella will be, which will round out the cast at 6 (what it's been at since FFXII).

Cor joining later bothers me a little, but it makes sense. He's not part of that group of friends, he's an older military dude. I hope he doesn't die or turn traitor.

The curious thing is, if Warp is limited to Noctis alone, what special abilities on the other playable characters can equal or surpass that particular skill?

Well, we know Prompto's unique ability is third person aiming for his guns. Other people can shoot guns, but it's automated through a lock-on system. Prompto can actually go into third person shooter mode and aim freely.

Gladiolus will probably be the party's tank, able to absorb hits from enemies without taking damage.

I have no idea what Ignis or Cor's unique abilities would be.

sappyday

The curious thing is, if Warp is limited to Noctis alone, what special abilities on the other playable characters can equal or surpass that particular skill?

Other character will have special abilities. The only known one right is that when using Prompto he'll have access to weak spots on enemy when fighting with his guns. Noctis can also use guns but he doesn't have access to the weak spots. Hopefully there will be times where it is necessary to beat a certain much quicker by using one of your party member's unique abilities. Also I hope this expands to not only gameplay but also exploration (for example you need Prompto or Gladiolus in the party to access a certain spot)

ZenTzen

wasnt Ignis supposed to be the Healer/support/buff/debuff of the team, and Cor being one of the 3 top fighters of Lucis will probably give him some unique abilities as well

Don't mind the idea of sequels one bit as long as the story in XV doesn't feel purposely incomplete. I liked X-2 a lot, and X had a definitive ending, though it did leave a few questions unanswered. If they can come up with a good justification to revisit the XV world, and make it a solid game, I am on board (assuming XV is good, of course).

Also, I don't care if this game has any playable females. I am female, and I wouldn't care at all if all the playable characters are dudes. The way I see it, if Nomura thinks Noctis' group having all guys makes the most sense and feels the most natural, I'd prefer that than having females shoved in and feel forced just for the sake of having the token chick. Noctis having all close male friends makes sense. And from what I've seen Stella still seems important and interesting and she seems to be an antagonist which is interesting. And she can fight. I had no problem with X-2's all female cast. It felt natural, the chemistry between a group of female friends.

Man, I'm trying so hard to keep my hype in check, but I really want this FF to be good. Nomura seems like he's trying to make the game as ambitious as possible and I do like him. If he wants the more powerful hardware to make the game better, not just flashier, I can accept that. The car driving sounds awesome, and it's good to hear he decided to keep the scope of the game intact, rather than cut stuff. If the game turns out feeling next-gen along with keeping the scope in line with at least XII, the long development time will be worth it IMO.

Also
You mean to tell me the good guys are black and bad guys are white!?!?

#gamechanger
There is no good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

Prompto is the only one who can aim apparently. lol.
Gladiolus can also use some fancy wrestling moves :p

iergQtYFU6kcG.gif

injurai

Banned
Don't mind the idea of sequels one bit as long as the story in XV doesn't feel purposely incomplete. I liked X-2 a lot, and X had a definitive ending, though it did leave a few questions unanswered. If they can come up with a good justification to revisit the XV world, and make it a solid game, I am on board (assuming XV is good, of course).

Also, I don't care if this game has any playable females. I am female, and I wouldn't care at all if all the playable characters are dudes. The way I see it, if Nomura thinks Noctis' group having all guys makes the most sense and feels the most natural, I'd prefer that than having females shoved in and feel forced just for the sake of having the token chick. Noctis having all close male friends makes sense. And from what I've seen Stella still seems important and interesting and she seems to be an antagonist which is interesting. And she can fight. I had no problem with X-2's all female cast. It felt natural, the chemistry between a group of female friends.

Man, I'm trying so hard to keep my hype in check, but I really want this FF to be good. Nomura seems like he's trying to make the game as ambitious as possible and I do like him. If he wants the more powerful hardware to make the game better, not just flashier, I can accept that. The car driving sounds awesome, and it's good to hear he decided to keep the scope of the game intact, rather than cut stuff. If the game turns out feeling next-gen along with keeping the scope in line with at least XII, the long development time will be worth it IMO.

This is how I feel as well. I'm really looking forward to the whole road trip buddy adventures that seems to be happening after the fallout of whatever in initial invasion is. I think it will set a strong bond between them early on that will play out in their rapport and cadence. The case seems wonderfully diverse, interested to see where they take it all.

Voror

I will put out a prediction.

2014: Final Fantasy XV
2015: Final Fantasy XVI
2016: Final Fantasy XV-2
2017: Final Fantasy XVI-2
2018: Final Fantasy XV-3
2019: Final Fantasy XVI-3
2020: We're probably at a new generation by this point.

Hmm, this could work though I'd be surprised to see XVI in 2015. I've been thinking it would be a 2016 title myself.

Regarding the sequels, so long as the first game ends on a conclusive note for the tale being told there as has been said it would by Nomura, I'm not too opposed to the idea. If they use it to perhaps focus on other characters or the aftermath of whatever happens at the end of XV, that can work as well. A prequel could also be something I think would work, perhaps with Regis.

So long as actual effort is taken into these is what matters. And we should probably remember that the sequels do depend on XV being well received.

This wasn't mentioned earlier:

- Casting has taken a long time. They took several years to find someone who fit Stella's image.

That's certainly curious and perhaps indicative of Stella's importance if there was any doubt. Even more interested to see who her VA is. On the other hand, I wonder how much care will be taken with the localization then...

Well, we know Prompto's unique ability is third person aiming for his guns. Other people can shoot guns, but it's automated through a lock-on system. Prompto can actually go into third person shooter mode and aim freely.

Gladiolus will probably be the party's tank, able to absorb hits from enemies without taking damage.

I have no idea what Ignis or Cor's unique abilities would be.

I'm rather curious how fun that could actually be, though I suppose fans of shooters may enjoy it. Actually, I think they might try to strongly encourage players to switch between the characters and come up with different combinations to be effective.

He does seem to be fit for that sort of role, though I wonder what unique abilities could be used for that.

Cor I don't know either though given his status as a great fighter, it may have something to do with all his experience. Ignis seems the combination support character with focus on magic, so he may have some unique abilities tied to utilizing that to perhaps boost combos as well as possibly reinforcing everyone else.

That was years ago, who knows where that stands now.

I can't imagine it'd change. If she was designed as a minor character from the beginning and wasn't in the showcase at the end of the new trailer, she's probably not been upgraded into a major role.

My honest opinion is that she's a generic. Not even a named character, just a boss you fight and then move on from. Like a PSICOM elite from XIII.

Jawmuncher

I'm very interested in what they'll be bringing with the other female designs.
Thus far i've really liked all of the Male and female designs I have seen.

Verendus

Banned

One FF game is missing out of that list that will be here by 2017/2018 at the latest. Potentially one other but that's a late release if it even happens.

Also, I'd personally slot FFXVI to 2016 as a safer option at the earliest, unless they really ramp up development, which they could. It's not that far along as I understand it right now. It's going to be interesting how they manage their upcoming plans because it could all backfire quite easily.

I'm guessing along the following in terms of order of release:

FFXV
FFXVI
FF???
FFXV-2

Last two could be changed around depending on development.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

If they have two different teams working on this constantly then this is definitely possible. I don't think XV will be out by 2014 so shift that over a year.

Voror

One FF game is missing out of that list that will be here by 2017/2018 at the latest. Potentially one other but that's a late release if it even happens.

Also, I'd personally slot FFXVI to 2016 as a safer option at the earliest, unless they really ramp up development, which they could. It's not that far along as I understand it right now. It's going to be interesting how they manage their upcoming plans because it could all backfire quite easily.

FFXV
FFXVI
FF???
FFXV-2

Wait, what? Another game besides those two? Are we talking XVII or something akin to Type-0? Damn, if they manage to support that many we could be looking at PSOne level support in terms of FF, though it all depends on if the end results are good.

Agreed on XVI unless that happens as you said. I'd probably prefer them to take their time to make a quality product then try and rush things and go for something akin to what Ubisoft does with the AC series.

Hmm, so XV-2 perhaps in 2017?

FFXV
FFXVI
FF???
FFXV-2

Wait!?

FF XVI is actually being worked on? I thought they were going to focus on KH 3, FF XV along with the expansions for FF XIV in the coming years. If they manage to release new FF games in a timely manner and deliver actual quality titles, it will be a godsend.

Pretty hard to believe this all until they deliver a quality title next generation.

Wait!?

FF XVI is actually being worked on? I thought they were going to focus on KH 3, FF XV along with the expansions for FF XIV in the coming years. If they manage to release new FF games in a timely manner and deliver actual quality titles, it will be a godsend.

Pretty hard to believe this all until they deliver a quality title next generation.

Wouldn't surprise me if FFXVI started pre-development last year or early this year.

You think that asset-dump that is Lightning Returns is really what Kitase's Division 1 (or Project Development Team 1 or whatever the fuck Wada changed their name to 6 times) has really been concentrating on? I doubt it.

I like to think FFXVI is being cooked up with Kitase/Itou/Naora/Hamauzu in their various roles. Would be ideal. :)

Voror

In 2020 XVII will either be a MMO or SE trying to reinvent the wheel again a la FNC

I hope not an MMO and I'd like to hope that SE might have learned from the FNC not to go and announce a bunch of games when it might not all pan out that well.

Wait!?

From what Verendus has said in the past, it's in the very early developmental stages if I am remembering correctly. Probably working out things like story and what they want to go for with it. It will likely be the first FF to fully use the Luminous Engine as well.

They have several teams and a lot of people as KH3 is being worked on by the Osaka team and they also have several developers who haven't worked on anything in a while such as Ito.

ctothej

Forget about this for the next decade. There will be surely a climax (like killing the main boss), but only to unfold a greater peril approaching. See the Mass Effect series as a reference.

I'm hoping they do this. If it's structured like Mass Effect (minus the ending) then bring on the sequels.

Verendus

Banned
Wait, what? Another game besides those two? Are we talking XVII or something akin to Type-0? Damn, if they manage to support that many we could be looking at PSOne level support in terms of FF, though it all depends on if the end results are good.

Agreed on XVI unless that happens as you said. I'd probably prefer them to take their time to make a quality product then try and rush things and go for something akin to what Ubisoft does with the AC series.

Hmm, so XV-2 perhaps in 2017?
I expect 3 mainline FF titles from them this generation excluding sequels. Everything else is bonus as far as I'm concerned. I'm optimistic also, at the moment, in terms of their releases.

Their biggest problem in the last generation, and prior to be honest, was that their management/development structure was abysmal. I think it's rare to see a company with that kind of manpower be so weird with their big projects. They had one management disaster in FFXIII and followed it up right after with FFXIV. That's neglecting the mess with FFXII so we may as well call it a trifecta. That takes a special case of stupid in my opinion.

As it stands, they seemed to have recovered FFXIV, and their other projects are doing okay, so barring a potential leadership problem, we should be having a very good time with SE this generation. I'm not saying they've sorted everything out, but it looks like they're learning what a competent management/development team could potentially do, with the kind of manpower they have, on a regular schedule.

Wait!?

It's been worked on for a good while now. I don't know what it's current status is exactly, but it bodes well that they already have a good idea of certain concepts. KH3 and FFXV are Nomura projects so they'll likely be his priority to finish and then move onto whatever is next for him. FFXVI is being handled by others.

RocBase

100% agree with everything in this post.

I'm hoping they do this. If it's structured like Mass Effect (minus the ending) then bring on the sequels.

GOD no. One and done, please. There has never been a direct sequel to a Final Fantasy game that was worth the effort they spent making it.

And the Mass Effect sequels weren't any better. A story is better when it's allowed to stand on its own instead of being pimped out over and over again.

Voror

I expect 3 mainline FF titles from them this generation excluding sequels. Everything else is bonus as far as I'm concerned. I'm optimistic also, at the moment, in terms of their releases.

Their biggest problem in the last generation, and prior to be honest, was that their management/development structure was abysmal. I think it's rare to see a company with that kind of manpower be so weird with their big projects. They had one management disaster in FFXIII and followed it up right after with FFXIV. That's neglecting the mess with FFXII so we may as well call it a trifecta. That takes a special case of stupid in my opinion.

As it stands, they seemed to have recovered FFXIV, and their other projects are doing okay, so barring a potential leadership problem, we should be having a very good time with SE this generation. I'm not saying they've sorted everything out, but it looks like they're learning what a competent management/development team could potentially do with the kind of manpower they have on a regular schedule.

It's been worked on for a good while now. They were showing off gameplay concepts several months ago. I don't know what they've settled on, or what it's current status is exactly, but it bodes well if they're already that far.

KH3 and FFXV are Nomura projects so they'll be his priority to finish and then move onto what's next. FFXVI has nothing to do with him.

That would certainly be a nice change of pace from last gen I think and having a KH3 release is a nice thing to see as well. I wonder what other input we could expect from their Japan studios as it would be nice to perhaps have some new IPs or even the return of some older series.

Yes, hopefully they have managed to sort out at least some of the problems though I think we'll have to see what happens from here on out to really determine whether or not they've actually managed to get a handle on things. Because it is really stupid how mismanaged they were during this gen and to degree the one before that.

Far along enough to be doing that, eh? That's not a bad sign at all then, though I'm quite curious who would be in charge of XVI. Toriyama is doubtful given his work on the XIII series unless he's been in a co-director capacity, though I expect they'd take a break with him.

I believe you said they were trying something a bit new, correct? Or something to that effect I think.

Yes, no reason to think otherwise with him. Though if they decide to do sequels with XV, I'm curious of XVI could also see sequels. It'd be a bit of new format for them, that's for sure.

I hope not an MMO and I'd like to hope that SE might have learned from the FNC not to go and announce a bunch of games when it might not all pan out that well.

From what Verendus has said in the past, it's in the very early developmental stages if I am remembering correctly. Probably working out things like story and what they want to go for with it. It will likely be the first FF to fully use the Luminous Engine as well.

They have several teams and a lot of people as KH3 is being worked on by the Osaka team and they also have several developers who haven't worked on anything in a while such as Ito.

They have the former KH team that became the XV team
They have the current KH team that is making KH3
They have the XIV team that will be working on XIV

The only teams that could conceivably be working on XVI right now are Toriyama's team or the remnants of the XII team (which may not even exist anymore for all I know). I'd put money on XVI being Toriyama's new waifu fantasy.

The only team that could conceivably be working on XVI right now are Toriyama's team or the remnants of the XII team (which may not even exist anymore for all I know). I'd put money on XVI being Toriyama's new waifu fantasy.

Given how much ARR looks like FFXII now I'd say the old XII team had gotten split in half and is helping out on that one, and will probably be put on XVI's development completely once ARR comes out of beta and starts generating money

Voror

The sequel bit has me worried.

Are they going to cut content just so they can milk XV into multiple games?

The cutting of content is what worries me more than anything. Nomura could keep the promise of a complete story for this and still content, though his comment about not thinking everyone could do 100% their first time might indicate otherwise.

The only team that could conceivably be working on XVI right now are Toriyama's team or the remnants of the XII team (which may not even exist anymore for all I know). I'd put money on XVI being Toriyama's new waifu fantasy.

I'd be incredibly surprised if Toriyama is working on XVI. It simply doesn't make any sense to have him do another one when they have other guys such as Itou who haven't done a game in years. Besides, some variety would be nice.

Are we sure they only have those four teams?

HeelPower

can we hope to get the game soon then ??? Since they planning sequels and all...I really, really , really , really don't wanna wait for this one anymore.

The only teams that could conceivably be working on XVI right now are Toriyama's team or the remnants of the XII team (which may not even exist anymore for all I know). I'd put money on XVI being Toriyama's new waifu fantasy.

How about both? Toriyama collaborating with Hiroyuki Itou for director seat sounds promising. Everything but Toriyama working alone is promising.

Ezalc

I really hope SE doesn't become sequel crazy with mainline FF titles. We already got two more XIII games nobody wanted and before that a sequel to X which wasn't that good and a bunch of crap for VII which wasn't good either.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really hope SE doesn't become sequel crazy with mainline FF titles. We already got two more XIII games nobody wanted and before that a sequel to X which wasn't that good and a bunch of crap for VII which wasn't good either.

I'm not too fond of the new CEO...

Voror

can we hope to get the game soon then ??? Since they planning sequels and all...I really, really , really , really don't wanna wait for this one anymore.

Late 2014 to Early 2015 seems to be the most likely window to expect it to come out in I think.

How about both? Toriyama collaborating with Hiroyuki Itou for director seat sounds promising. Everything but Toriyama working alone is promising.

Eh, I don't know. I'd rather Toriyama take a break from things and I'm not sure how he would work with Itou. They give the impression of having different design philosophies that could end up clashing.

Top Bottom