• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Dengeki Info: More Sequel Teasing, Tons of Characters

Famassu

When LR sells significantly less than XIII-2, you'll probably see Square abandon their sequelitis plans entirely.
That game didn't have the best of foundations, nor did the sequels make much sense in the bigger picture (a world like XIII's that had at least SOME logic suddenly goes for a Magical Girl Serah's Wonderous Journey Through Time trip, wut? o_O ). If we, for a moment, assume FFXV is of (much) better quality and generally more liked than XIII and the sequel continues on a similarly serious atmosphere/is a more continuous story that makes sense, and if even THEN there's a huge drop going from FFXV to FFXV-2, then I might see them re-thinking things.

But even then it's probably wiser financially to do FFXV that sells, say, 6 million copies + FFXV-2 that "only" sells 2+ million copies than immediately spending time & money on creating a new world from scratch again (only, they can of course be working on the next mainline non-sequel simultaneously).

Voror

It makes me think they went out of their normal stable of actors. It's probably not Serah like some were guessing.

Do FF games really have a stable of commonly used actors though? I mean, the Japanese VA industry is pretty big and there are a lot of talented people, some of whom are included.

I kind of want to see Norio Wakamoto in this game. Maybe he can voice the grumpy guy.

I still really hope that the English version of the game casts some real actors instead of just the same basic stable of anime VAs we hear in every single game nowadays.

Bonus points if they use British actors to play the royal characters.

Many involved in these games are "real" actors as was mentioned, though I understand your point about the regular anime stable. There are plenty of people there who are quite talented though, but I've noticed that they don't always get to demonstrate their full range.

That'd be a nice touch. And you know who can do a pretty good British accent? Troy Baker ;)

I dare them to not include original voices. Both systems use BluRays now. Don't come with some space limitation bull shit. It's not hard to have the option in the game. >_>

Will the lip movements be adjusted for the English VAs? If so, then that sort of acts as a possible excuse not to do so.

If he sticks, I heavily expect that we'll have less "diverse" output compared to this gen.

I'm still bummed and somewhat amazed that their handheld division doesn't look like it will be around as it used to be. So many great titles...

Instead of assuming they're automatically going to make sequels for every game they make, how about we just focus on this one for now? This is getting out of hand.

True, but it's an interesting topic to discuss since if they want to do sequels for XV to make sure they get the most out of the assets then it would stand to reason the same would go for XVI. Which could get rather messy potentially.

oh ok....

for me she does sound little bit like sakamoto maaya but its probably not her..

some said it could be Aoki Mayuko(Yuna from FFX) but I am not sure..

Hmmm... that's a good guess....

Edit: Didn't someone say earlier in the thread that in the interview Nomura said it took a long time to find someone to voice Stella?

raven777

Hmmm... that's a good guess....

Edit: Didn't someone say earlier in the thread that in the interview Nomura said it took a long time to find someone to voice Stella?

yea nomura said it was hard finding the right voice for Stella. But that doesn't mean it is someone unique I think. I bet they could still take few years to decide the right voiceover and decide to hire Sakamoto Maaya lol.

yea nomura said it was hard finding the right voice for Stella. But that doesn't mean it is someone unique I think. I bet they could still take few years to decide the right voiceover and decide to hire Sakamoto Maaya lol.

That's true but I don't think they will use Sakamoto in XV. It'll be a few years before they use her again in Final Fantasy. They usually give certain voices time to sound "fresh" before they use them again. Especially people who do the main characters VO.

They're not going to do that.

Many involved in these games are "real" actors as was mentioned, though I understand your point about the regular anime stable. There are plenty of people there who are quite talented though, but I've noticed that they don't always get to demonstrate their full range.

That'd be a nice touch. And you know who can do a pretty good British accent? Troy Baker ;)

Ugh. I don't want him voicing any of the main characters in this game. He's talented, but after TLOU Joel is his role. I don't want him voicing any other main characters for a while.

Voror

Ugh. I don't want him voicing any of the main characters in this game. He's talented, but after TLOU Joel is his role. I don't want him voicing any other main characters for a while.

I'm only joking. But he did do a pretty good British accent and the guy can do a pretty good range, but I agree that he should have a break from at least any main roles in this.

I just really hope they get Quinton Flynn to play the red haired dude in XV. Won't feel right otherwise. In Square Enix games he seems to play the English version of Fujiwara Keiji.

Also fun fact: Did you know Quinton Flynn's brother played a role for a character in TWEWY? Just a cool little tidbit.

7Th

7Th is guessing?

I've been following the discussion in Japanese boards and Twitter; I'm not the only one who thinks it's her. You guys need to watch more anime, Kotobuki currently has a main role in Doki Doki Precure.

Voror

I just really hope they get Quinton Flynn to play the red haired dude in XV. Won't feel right otherwise. In Square Enix games he seems to play the English version of Fujiwara Keiji.

Also fun fact: Did you know Quinton Flynn's brother played a role for a character in TWEWY? Just a cool little tidbit.

I rather hope so as well.

I do remember hearing that though I can't recall who it was.

I've been following the discussion in Japanese boards and Twitter; I'm not the only one who thinks it's her. You guys need to watch more anime, Kotobuki currently has a main role in Doki Doki Precure.

It's a bit of a weird overlap honestly though to have her voicing a main character in two FF games with little time in between.

I'm more familiar with her from Tiger & Bunny myself.

So in other words you were guessing....

That's fine. I just personally still don't hear it. I also personally doubt Square Enix would use the voice actor of a Main Character of one of the most recent FF and use them as a Main Character in the next FF.

You mean... Aya, Aerith and Lightning didn't happen?

Pretty sure I said most recent MC FF characters voice being lent as a MC's VO in the next FF.

That argument with Aeris and Lightning only strengthens my argument (and secondly VII didn't have VO's; the movie and CC did). That's like using Yuna's VO and using her to voice another MC in XII. That doesn't happen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I notice the FF series tend to use voice actors who we don't expect or even actually know except for the common Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, and Liam O'Brien.

Voror

I wasn't aware Liam O'Brien was so well liked. I mean, I think he's pretty good, but the reactions I see always surprise me. My sisters love him too.

Was he really good as Cauis?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wasn't aware Liam O'Brien was so well liked. I mean, I think he's pretty good, but the reactions I see always surprise me. My sisters love him too.

He was good as Orlando Haddick (Catherine).

It's like his voice melts in your ears.

He was much better as Lezard Valeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl48FDOx0YI

Best laugh ever. Ever.

Yeah I really like him but I can't hear his voice on any of the FFXV characters. It wouldn't fit well with anyone.

O'Brien would work well as Ignis.

Voror

He was good as Orlando Haddick (Catherine).

It's like his voice melts in your ears.

You know, I still haven't beaten that game. I got through the opening and all, then got floored with all these optional side stories and started worrying about missing some. Then school came up and I never finished it. My backlog is such a mess.

He was much better as Lezard Valeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl48FDOx0YI

Best laugh ever. Ever.

O'Brien would work well as Ignis.

That's him?!

I don't know, every time I think of him all I can hear is Endrance from .hack//G.U.

Ignis I could possibly see.

That's him?!

I don't know, every time I think of him all I can hear is Endrance from .hack//G.U.

Ignis I could possibly see.

O'Brien took over as Lezard for Valkyrie Profile 2, yeah. He wasn't in the original game - Lezard's voice was done by the actor who originally voiced Meowth in Pokemon. Same actor also voiced Arngrim, shockingly.

And yeah, O'Brien's softer speaking voice would definitely work well for a character whose job it is to keep Noctis calm. And if Ignis ever needs to get serious or go crazy, O'Brien's got that shit covered too. Guy's talented as hell.

I can't imagine him as Ignis. Maybe it's because I am thinking of his deep voice as Cauis but I can't imagine his voice on Ignis. Link a video to me where he voices a character where his pitch would be perfect for Ignis to calm my mind.

Listen to some of his voice clips from Valkyrie Profile 2 when he's playing non-psychotic Lezard. He sounds pretty close to how I'd expect Ignis to sound in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVEeCwcKNmw

Not the best example since he spends most of it yelling, but it's an example.

Voror

By the way, just want to put this out there, but I thought of a summon that really should be in this game.

I think it's time for the return of the Doomtrain!

O'Brien took over as Lezard for Valkyrie Profile 2, yeah. He wasn't in the original game - Lezard's voice was done by the actor who originally voiced Meowth in Pokemon. Same actor also voiced Arngrim, shockingly.

And yeah, O'Brien's softer speaking voice would definitely work well for a character whose job it is to keep Noctis calm. And if Ignis ever needs to get serious or go crazy, O'Brien's got that shit covered too. Guy's talented as hell.

Listen to some of his voice clips from Valkyrie Profile 2 when he's playing non-psychotic Lezard. He sounds pretty close to how I'd expect Ignis to sound in English.

Yeah but lately all his stuff sounds pretty one note like Garra from Naruto, War from Darksiders and Cauis from XIII-2. I just can't hear it. I am afraid he would try to use that tone of voice for the game and Ignis.

Edit: when he starts to get louder he spuds older and older and even his soft speaking voice is, IMHO, too deep for a character like Ignis. I just don't hear it. I really don't think it would work.

Voror

Never played the series, though I recently got this game from a bin of PS2 games. And I'm now kicking myself for years ago passing up on the first one when I went searching for PSOne JRPGs when I found it. That's actually quite fascinating.

I should take a closer look at his work as I think I'm only familiar with him in a few roles. I'm kind of considering playing XIII-2, so I'd hear him there I suppose.

Yeah but lately all his stuff sounds pretty one note like Garra from Naruto, War from Darksiders and Cauis from XIII-2. I just can't hear it. I am afraid he would try to use that tone of voice for the game and Ignis.

Well, those are the kinds of characters he's being asked to play lately. Ignis is not a deep-voiced villain, he's a calm, quiet person. And that is DEFINITELY in O'Brien's wheelhouse, even if he hasn't been using it much lately.

Well, those are the kinds of characters he's being asked to play lately. Ignis is not a deep-voiced villain, he's a calm, quiet person. And that is DEFINITELY in O'Brien's wheelhouse, even if he hasn't been using it much lately.

Ironically I think the English voice actor of Saskue would actually be a pretty good match. Even Garra (who is young/calm/quiet) sounds too old for his role. I don't think O'Brian could do it but if you listen to Saskue when he's calm he sounds like a perfect fit for Ignis. If you want we can compare the two with this single clip from Naruto:

http://youtu.be/V8EBEeXkNxQ

Ironically I think the English voice actor of Saskue would actually be a pretty good match. Even Garra (who is young/calm/quiet) sounds too old for his role. I don't think O'Brian could do it but if you listen to Saskue when he's calm he sounds like a perfect fit for Ignis. If you want we can compare the two with this single clip from Naruto:

http://youtu.be/V8EBEeXkNxQ

Yuri Lowenthal's voice sounds a bit too young for the XV cast, I think. Especially for Ignis. If he's the party's voice of reason, his voice definitely has to be deeper than Noctis', otherwise he'd end up sounding like a whiny guy who nobody respects.

Also, remember O'Brien also voices Akihiko in the Persona games. That'd be another voice I could see them using for Ignis.

Yuri Lowenthal's voice sounds a bit too young for the XV cast, I think. Especially for Ignis. If he's the party's voice of reason, his voice definitely has to be deeper than Noctis', otherwise he'd end up sounding like a whiny guy who nobody respects.

Also, remember O'Brien also voices Akihiko in the Persona games. That'd be another voice I could see them using for Ignis.

Again that's another role where his voice is too deep and grainy. I don't understand how young = whining. I personally think Lowenthal's voice would better serve the calm, collected and youngish Ignis then O'Brien's voice could.

Edit:
I actually have both their voices playing in the background as I watch various scenes where Ignis is talking. O'Brien I am now convinced couldn't do Ignis' role justice while Lowenthal's voice sounds great for the role.

I am sure they can find someone better then the two VO's we're suggesting here anyways. ;P

Again that's another role where his voice is too deep and grainy. I don't understand how young = whining. I personally think Lowenthal's voice would better serve the calm, collected and youngish Ignis then O'Brien's voice could.

Ignis is the voice of reason of the party. I don't see Yosuke's voice fitting a character in that archetype. At all.

Lowenthal's voice would be better for Prompto, the 'fun guy' in the party.

Korigama

Lowenthal seems more like who I'd picture for Prompto than for Ignis. O'Brien is closer to what I would picture Ignis sounding like, I'd say.

EDIT: Beaten.

Ignis is the voice of reason of the party. I don't see Yosuke's voice fitting a character in that archetype. At all.

Lowenthal's voice would be better for Prompto, the 'fun guy' in the party.

Lowenthal seems more like who I'd picture for Prompto than for Ignis. O'Brien is closer to what I would picture Ignis sounding like, I'd say.

EDIT: Beaten.

You guys are both are crazy. ;P

I just cannot picture O'Brien voicing him. For some reason he likes to make his voice grainy with every character he does and that does not fit well with Ignis' character. His Japanese voice is clean, smooth and actually very young sounding. Not grainy/deep like O'Brien likes to voice.

Edit:

And he's spotty when he doesn't do the older grainer voice. Listening to this I am convinced he couldn't do Ignis. When he starts to get even a little loud he gets that older grained voice in and I hate it.

http://youtu.be/8PcDJ1DzhLI

You guys are both are crazy. ;P

I just cannot picture O'Brien voicing him. For some reason he likes to make his voice grainy with every character he does and that does not fit well with Ignis' character. His Japanese voice is clean, smooth and actually very young sounding. Not grainy/deep like O'Brien likes to voice.

You're trying to find a soundalike for his Japanese VA, and that's not really how voice casting works. If you look at Ignis' role in the party, he's meant to be the calming factor and the thoughtful member of the team, the contrast to the rash impulsiveness of Noctis, Gladio and Prompto. This means his voice has to be deeper and definitely wiser-sounding than theirs. If he sounds young and inexperienced, the player won't take him seriously as a character. And besides, if you're going for straiht soundalike with his Japanese voice actor, you'd want to go with David Gallagher, since Ignis' Japanese VA also plays RIku.

Prompto is the kind of character Lowenthal would play - the energetic, "best bro" archetype, like Yosuke. And Gladiolus is pretty obviously a Troy Baker-esque character just based on looks and size alone.

In any case, it's late. Gotta get some rest. We can discuss this another time. :p

I think at this point we should all give suggestions who should voice who in the English cast. I want to see who people come up with.

I think the guy who plays Hinata in this clip should play as either Noctis or Prompto. He also voices Tomoya in Clannad.

http://youtu.be/f0trTcXyeRw

http://youtu.be/mJSifhnNRS4

Edit:

Obviously the VO that gets thrown around a lot by people (I don't necessarily agree but I could see it) that say he would be a good fit for Noctis is Light from Death Note.

http://youtu.be/bNa8xnVSQfg

On second thought the guy who voices L would make a perfect Ignis. Just my 2 cents.

I'm in the O'Brien camp for Ignis, I could see him sounding like Gaara's calm voice.

If he sounded like Sasuke I wouldn't be able to take him seriously.

Top Bottom