• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Dengeki Info: More Sequel Teasing, Tons of Characters

Korigama

This is true, but this game is trying to tell a serious story in a realistic world. Having a nine-year-old girl (who is, of course, "actually 18 years old" so the pervs can't get arrested) running around fighting giant monsters with a building-sized sword and flashing her panties every five seconds would ruin that realism.
I...have no idea why anyone would expect anything like this when Nomura hasn't pulled it before. In fact, the last time there was anyone that young in the party was back in FFIX, which Nomura had nothing to do with.

I...have no idea why anyone would expect anything like this when Nomura hasn't pulled it before. In fact, the last time there was anyone that young in the party was back in FFIX, which Nomura had nothing to do with.
people just aren't ready to accept lord nomura-sama like they should.

I don't want a ton of characters, I just a few well written ones, and please finish the story in one fucking game please. I must say, outside of the battle system,the scope of the world and how gorgeous the game is, I haven't heard or seen much to get me excited about this game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Should Square really be banking on once again saturating the franchise after FFXIII?

You think they'd consider a sequel after the game comes out, learn from their past mistakes and wait till the green rolls in.

Famassu

SE has the following up for release that's been announced and things that will most likely be announced.

FFXIV
FFXV
LRFFXIII
FFXHD
KH1.5 (US)
KH2.5
Murdered Soul Suspect
Thief 4.

Everything on that list save for the last two are the only games confirmed coming out in 2014. I'd say that for the time being, SE is pretty boned.
Lightning Returns will be released in 2014 in theh west, so that fills up one part of the (calendar) year with a somewhat significant release. FFXV & KH2.5HD will very likely make it for at least the fiscal year starting in April 2014, hopefully even the calendar year.

So... Say they have LR's western release for February 2014, Kingdom Hearts 2.5HD for late Spring or early Fall (doubt they'd release it in the Summer, that's bad enough time for new game releases and probably doubly so for a re-release) and FFXV for something like November/December 2014. That'd leave early Spring, late Spring and/or Summer completely devoid of releases. They'll likely have at least something in the veins of Drakengard 3 to fill some empty space in the release schedule. And while at the moment it seems they've abandoned handhelds, maybe with the arrival of Animal Crossing & Pokemon's upcoming release selling some 3DSs, they'll try again. Something semi-big like Bravely Default 2 could very well be announced at TGS this year for a 2014 release. I'd wait until TGS is over before panicking over SQEX's 2014. They've announced stuff like Dissidia there, like, 4-5 months before release, it could happen again considering how quiet most of SQEX has been apart from FFXIV, LR & now Nomura's main gang. And if all that fails, there's still Jump Festa 2014 in December, where they could announce something.

anaron

- With the timeframe they're considering for the release of the game, it'll be hard to wrap up the story with the first game;

lol, looks like nothing has really changed within the company. Interest deflated.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lightning Returns will be released in 2014 in theh west, so that fills up one part of the (calendar) year with a somewhat significant release. FFXV & KH2.5HD will very likely make it for at least the fiscal year starting in April 2014, hopefully even the calendar year.

So... Say they have LR's western release for February 2014, Kingdom Hearts 2.5HD for late Spring or early Fall (doubt they'd release it in the Summer, that's bad enough time for new game releases and probably doubly so for a re-release) and FFXV for something like November/December 2014. That'd leave early Spring, late Spring and/or Summer completely devoid of releases. They'll likely have at least something in the veins of Drakengard 3 to fill some empty space in the release schedule. And while at the moment it seems they've abandoned handhelds, maybe with the arrival of Animal Crossing & Pokemon's upcoming release selling some 3DSs, they'll try again. Something semi-big like Bravely Default 2 could very well be announced at TGS this year for a 2014 release. I'd wait until TGS is over before panicking over SQEX's 2014. They've announced stuff like Dissidia there, like, 4-5 months before release, it could happen again considering how quiet most of SQEX has been apart from FFXIV, LR & now Nomura's main gang. And if all that fails, there's still Jump Festa 2014 in December, where they could announce something.

KH 2.5 won't be coming to the west until late 2014. It wont' release within a year of 1.5. For Japan, however, Spring or summer seems likely. I highly doubt XV will come out even in December 2014 but it's possible. They can totally announce stuff but chances are it won't come out in 2014 though. So it still stands that SE, at least for 2014, are in a not so good state. So yeah. You're sort of on point.

lol, looks like nothing has really changed within the company. Interest deflated.

Do you really want them to spend four more years making their first game of the generation like last time? They need to set a deadline or the game is never going to be finished.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Instead of KH2.5, I hope SE will put out a collection containing KH1, KH2, and BbS + videos of CoM, coded, and 3D for PS4 using the Kingdom Shader they're touting.

kayos90

Instead of KH2.5, I hope SE will put out a collection containing KH1, KH2, and BbS + videos of CoM, coded, and 3D for PS4 using the Kingdom Shader they're touting.

That's in 2015 for the PS4 and X1. =D. Then KH3 in 2016. lol.

anaron

Do you really want them to spend four more years making their first game of the generation like last time? They need to set a deadline or the game is never going to be finished.

Then maybe don't design a story that can't be told in a single game; especially one that's been in development for 7 years.

Then maybe don't design a story that can't be told in a single game; especially one that's been in development for 7 years.

That's not what they're saying. They said that they considered cutting the game down to fit their time frame, but decided to make the game as originally specified anyway.

They're saying it's going to literally be difficult to do, but they want to do it anyway, not that they aren't telling the whole story in one game. Nomura literally said that XV is one full story from start to finish in the same interview.

Despera

Banned
So they're going to milk this one like they did XIII, eh? Okay.

I was a fool to think Square somehow learned their lesson from their recent mistakes.

Famassu

KH 2.5 won't be coming to the west until late 2014. It wont' release within a year of 1.5. For Japan, however, Spring or summer seems likely. I highly doubt XV will come out even in December 2014 but it's possible. They can totally announce stuff but chances are it won't come out in 2014 though. So it still stands that SE, at least for 2014, are in a not so good state. So yeah. You're sort of on point.
They could perfectly well announce games of Bravely Default 2's scale at TGS for a 2014 release, especially considering many of the people who have had nothing announced in years have been on handheld projects the last time they did something so they don't necessarily need the kind of resources PS4Bone projects do. I mean, in recent years they've announced plenty of stuff at TGS with a release anywhere from 4 (Dissidia) to 14 months afterwards.

The only ones that I'm sure will never in a million years have anything for 2014 are Ito (if he's working on FFXVI or something else big) and Toriyama (he's just finishing LR, if he gets a new project and it's not on iOS, then I doubt it'll be out before mid 2015 at earliest). Other than those two, anyone from Tabata (he's only co-directing XV, could have a project of his own under way) to Takahashi (Dissidia's director) to Nakahara (Bravely Default) could be working on something for 2014.

And why couldn't KH2.5 be released within a year (provided they get it done in that time)? It's not like Square Enix hasn't released ports like that in somewhat quick succession before.

anaron

I was a fool to think Square somehow learned their lesson from their recent mistakes.
While disappointed, I've been prepared for the worst and this is a very good sign not to expect much going forward. Just Gimme dat Shimomura soundtrack and be done with it.

Look at their current output on the Japanese side and tell me they don't.

It seems like they've pulled out of developing handheld games even (which largely seemed like would-be console games had it been the PS2 era), and are betting everything on iOS.

Edit: It's 2013, though. At this point, I've come to expect disappointing line ups from Japanese publishers.

Parfait

This is true, but this game is trying to tell a serious story in a realistic world. Having a nine-year-old girl (who is, of course, "actually 18 years old" so the pervs can't get arrested) running around fighting giant monsters with a building-sized sword and flashing her panties every five seconds would ruin that realism.

I hope they do include a character like this because it's been ages since Star Ocean 4 and being Meracle and literally killing everyone I see all the time every time.

While disappointed, I've been prepared for the worst and this is a very good sign not to expect much going forward. Just Gimme dat Shimomura soundtrack and be done with it.

Man. One contextless quote and you guys are ready to throw in the towel, huh?

Famassu

My dear god you drama queens. One or AT MOST two sequels during a whole generation of consoles is HARDLY milking anything. Nomura himself has said he has ideas beyond FFXV's story and it's also not even remotely possible to keep developing games of FFXV's scale and not do something like sequels to bring in more cash. And in your ignorance you seem to be forgetting that they can develop FFXVI simultaneously and release that while Nomura is working on the sequel to XV. And XV-2 also wouldn't mean Nomura can't do anything else, he's been more or less creatively involved with, like, almost a dozen games after Versus XIII's announcement in 2006 and is currently co-directing KHIII.

Square Enix HAS learned their lesson, they can't keep going on like they did during the PS1 generation and expect to stay in business.

injurai

Banned
Man. One contextless quote and you guys are ready to throw in the towel, huh?

For real. Why does this game have to be utter perfection. Every FF game has some sort of flaw for some portion of the FF fanbase. Same thing goes for just about any franchise of greater size.

Skilletor

I'm pretty sure this will be my favorite game since BbS. I'm pretty sure this game will meet every expectation I have for it. I'm pretty this will have the best OST EVER in an FF game and that I will be listening to it for years to come.

Hype + 2

kayos90

They could perfectly well announce games of Bravely Default 2's scale at TGS for a 2014 release, especially considering many of the people who have had nothing announced in years have been on handheld projects the last time they did something so they don't necessarily need the kind of resources PS4Bone projects do. I mean, in recent years they've announced plenty of stuff at TGS with a release anywhere from 4 (Dissidia) to 14 months afterwards.

The only ones that I'm sure will never in a million years have anything for 2014 are Ito (if he's working on FFXVI or something else big) and Toriyama (he's just finishing LR, if he gets a new project and it's not on iOS, then I doubt it'll be out before mid 2015 at earliest). Other than those two, anyone from Tabata (he's only co-directing XV, could have a project of his own under way) to Takahashi (Dissidia's director) to Nakahara (Bravely Default) could be working on something for 2014.

And why couldn't KH2.5 be released within a year (provided they get it done in that time)? It's not like Square Enix hasn't released ports like that in somewhat quick succession before.

I don't think SE would release 2 KH games with a gap less than a year apart. It just doesn't seem... smart. Plus the localization for 2.5 will require more effort than 1.5.

kayos90

My dear god you drama queens. One or AT MOST two sequels during a whole generation of consoles is HARDLY milking anything. Nomura himself has said he has ideas beyond FFXV's story and it's also not even remotely possible to keep developing games of FFXV's scale and not do something like sequels to bring in more cash. And in your ignorance you seem to be forgetting that they can develop FFXVI simultaneously and release that while Nomura is working on the sequel to XV. And XV-2 also wouldn't mean Nomura can't do anything else, he's been more or less creatively involved with, like, almost a dozen games after Versus XIII's announcement in 2006 and is currently co-directing KHIII.

Square Enix HAS learned their lesson, they can't keep going on like they did during the PS1 generation and expect to stay in business.

We have become desensitized.

injurai

Banned
I think the Issue with the FF franchise is that its become a nexus of balance mechanics. With recurring attacks, moves, classes and enemies. Even if the combat changes.

The FF series could be broken up into many many distinct IPs if they only reskinned and renamed things to distance their similarities. I can understand why having sequels feels a bit weird for this franchise. Especially with their track record. The Ivalice alliance is shared outside of the IP. With VII having a third person shooter, and X-2 adopting a system that complete alienates the themes of the first game. Also coming off of XIII sequels are to be questioned.

XV should have been a new IP, and firaga, shiva, bombs should have all been abandoned. But that being said I love FF for what it is, and I'm sure this will be a great game. My only fear is that the first game becomes soiled but a poorly done sequel. We want universally acclaimed games to be born from the FF franchise still and the prospects of sequels scare us.

I think the Issue with the FF franchise is that its become a nexus of balance mechanics. With recurring attacks, moves, classes and enemies. Even if the combat changes.

The FF series could be broken up into many many distinct IPs if they only reskinned and renamed things to distance their similarities. I can understand why having sequels feels a bit weird for this franchise. Especially with their track record. The Ivalice alliance is shared outside of the IP. With VII having a third person shooter, and X-2 adopting a system that complete alienates the themes of the first game. Also coming off of XIII sequels are to be questioned.

XV should have been a new IP, and firaga, shiva, bombs should have all been abandoned. But that being said I love FF for what it is, and I'm sure this will be a great game. My only fear is that the first game becomes soiled but a poorly done sequel. We want universally acclaimed games to be born from the FF franchise still and the prospects of sequels scare us.

How would making this a new IP have helped it? New IP have struggled considerably in this day and age, and Nomura has always had it in mind as his vision of Final Fantasy. He wouldn't be making the game at all if it wasn't an FF game.

Despera

Banned

What scares me the most is Square Enix getting ahead of themselves and holding back content for future XV sequels.

I want them to go all out with this one. It's do or be done. They need to focus on this one entry and not get sidetracked yet again.

Famassu

It seems like they've pulled out of developing handheld games even (which largely seemed like would-be console games had it been the PS2 era), and are betting everything on iOS.

Edit: It's 2013, though. At this point, I've come to expect disappointing line ups from Japanese publishers.
They are hardly betting everything on iOS, they have just decided to put a little more effort into that section of the gaming market than they were until this year, when they've mostly released ports and shit like that Final Fantasy horriblesness. Releasing a few iOS games a year is hardly a huge undertaking (even if they beef up those projects a bit), especially when most of that is outsourced.

They are just being sensible business wise and are investing a bit more on that GROWING market and not ignoring it (no matter if there are people like me who don't give a shit about it), which would be stupid for any non-console-manufacturing publisher. to do. It's not and will not be their main source of revenue, just one notable part of it. They do still understand that big games like FFXV can bring in much bigger money than most iOS releases (unless you're one of those lucky few that happens to create something like Angry Birds, but you can't really count your company's future on something as uncertain as that, and SQEX have said to understand that) and are not abandoning console gaming any time soon. SQEX being so handheld heavy during the last handheld generation was an anomaly, they've never been that focused on handhelds before and with the way the handheld market is going, I doubt they ever will again.

injurai

Banned
How would making this a new IP have helped it? New IP have struggled considerably in this day and age, and Nomura has always had it in mind as his vision of Final Fantasy. He wouldn't be making the game at all if it wasn't an FF game.

I realize it needed to be an FF game to not only happen but exist. I'm fine with that. But its the concept of a stand alone series within a larger historic disjointed series scares people. And we distrust the implications that come with shoehorning sequels.

What scares me the most is Square Enix getting ahead of themselves and holding back content for future XV sequels.

I want them to go all out with this one. It's do or be done. They need to focus on this one entry and not get sidetracked yet again.

I agree. If this do make multiple it needs to be like Part I and Part II. Like Kill BIll or something. I don't want the whole focus of the story to change and its just a new adventure in the same world with the same people.

It seems that they are trying to jam pack this game as much as they can, then perhaps letting stuff overflow in what could become an equally massive sequel. I hope thats the case. The sequel would help them regain much more money than the first. I just hope it doesn't go to three games because I can't think of a single series from last gen that put out 3 games during that time and was still good by the third entry.

Famassu

Really, don't take this one sentence so out of context. Like I've pointed out a few times already, in another recent interview Nomura said how they HAD been thinking of scaling back the project a bit, but in the end they decided NOT to do so and keep things as big and epic as they've envisioned. Again, this quote just says it'll be hard to stay within deadlines if/when they want to include all that they have planned, not that they are thinking of cutting the game in half.

Exentryk

I can live with sequels if I also keep getting other mainline titles. So XVI should be within 2 years of XV's release, XVII within 2 years of XVI's release, and so on.

I know it's not going to happen =/

Famassu

I can live with sequels if I also keep getting other mainline titles. So XVI should be within 2 years of XV's release, XVII within 2 years of XVI's release, and so on.

I know it's not going to happen =/
If the next generation goes on as long as this one, they could be planning something like:

FFXV late 2014/early 2015
FFXVI first half of 2016
FFXV-2 first half of 2017
FFXVI-2 late 2017/first half of 2018
FFXVII late 2018/first half of 2019

injurai

Banned
If the next generation goes on as long as this one, they could be planning something like:

FFXVI first half of 2016

this is the first ideal time frame I have seen.

Any other gaps I'm sure will be filled with handheld titles.

Sounds to me that the team and company finally have a deadline and are working to get it out by that deadline. The way he says it, it sounds like we'll be seeing this game sooner rather than later. I am going to use my deductive powers and say a Fall 2014 release is the most likely time it will release. If they start on localization soon (or if they already started on it) we could see a NA and EU release soon after the Japan release.

Instead of assuming they're automatically going to make sequels for every game they make, how about we just focus on this one for now? This is getting out of hand.

injurai

Banned
Instead of assuming they're automatically going to make sequels for every game they make, how about we just focus on this one for now? This is getting out of hand.

You are right. They mentioned how this game could be a chance to shake up the gameplay aspects in the series (though also clarifying traditional schemes could also return). It would be interesting to see instead a sequel, another fresh game drawing on similar design cues.

Famassu

You can be certain that every mainline FF from now on will have a sequel, simply because of the ballooning development costs (and no, unlike some think naively, it's not just a "just budget accordingly" issue). It simply doesn't make financial sense to go through the massive effort of creating new worlds with rich backstories (meaning, lots of time & money spent) and NOT stay in that universe for more than just one game. And like it or not there is usually quite a lot of fan demand for sequels, at least for well liked games (yeah, I know, no one wanted XIII-2 and LR to happen :p ).

The best we can hope is that they'll still hold on to not going too cliffhanger-happy on us and keep on telling at least somewhat complete stories.

Exentryk

FFXVI first half of 2016

I'll be happy with this, but I doubt they'll meet some of those dates.

You can be certain that every mainline FF from now on will have a sequel, simply because of the ballooning development costs (and no, unlike some think naively, it's not just a "just budget accordingly" issue). It simply doesn't make financial sense to go through the massive effort of creating new worlds with rich backstories (meaning, lots of time & money spent) and NOT stay in that universe for more than just one game. And like it or not there is usually quite a lot of fan demand for sequels, at least for well liked games (yeah, I know, no one wanted XIII-2 and LR to happen :p ).

The best we can hope is that they'll still hold on to not going too cliffhanger-happy on us and keep on telling at least somewhat complete stories.

When LR sells significantly less than XIII-2, you'll probably see Square abandon their sequelitis plans entirely.

Famassu

I'll be happy with this, but I doubt they'll meet some of those dates.
Well, FFXVI should make it for the first half of 2016, at the very least. They are quite likely already working on it to some extent so they'd still have at least 2,5 years, 3 years tops, to finish it (I mean, they seem to be pretty efficient nowadays, what's with XIV 2.0 being developed in record time for such massive MMO and them developing Lightning Returns in (less than?) 1,5 years). Depending on when they have started the project, I could see it being released even earlier (but wouldn't hold my breath for it) if, say, it's something Ito has been working/planning for a long time while waiting for the whole XIII/XIV drama to end or if it's a kind of flagship title for the Luminous Studios that has been worked on simultaneously to their development.

Top Bottom