• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything we know so far - [Up: Character artwork/descriptions]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early trailers showed a location based on Tokyo right? I remember seeing "Shirokane" on a toll booth display and the building Noctis and Stella talked about the "light" or whatever was clearly the Metropolitan Government Building. It even had the Hilton building next to it in Shinjuku. Please don't tell me that's been cut? That would be so cool.

Fake edit: This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF2GMvm8cTo

Lucis is the town that's based on Tokyo, yes.

xion4360

That particular screenshot I commented, is CG, even if there was real-time gameplay footage of the same area.

You are confusing people, that is not CG it is real-time gameplay. whether or not that backdrop is fully 3D or explorable is not the point.

Famassu

Some of those "gameplay" scenes were pre-rendered - not real time.
Pretty sure the battle gameplay vid was all real-time. Only the conference trailer had scenes that were a bit touched up to what they believe they'll achieve in the end.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What happened to the location based on Tokyo from the early trailers? I remember seeing "Shirokane" on a toll booth display and the building Noctis and Stella talked about the "light" or whatever was clearly the Metropolitan Government Building. It even had the Hilton building next to it in Shinjuku. It doesn't seem to be in the E3 2013 trailer though, which seems to be a set in a fantasy world much more typical for the series. Please don't tell me Tokyo has been cut? It would be so cool.

Fake edit: This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF2GMvm8cTo

It's the main character's kingdom and it still exists. This is a screencap from during the day:

IyY4ML0.jpg

Hedge

I'm really curious as to when this game will launch. It's almost unbearable. It's been years since I've been this excited for a FF, let alone any game. Damn it, Nomura. :C

But I guess it won't be any earlier than Q3 2014 because of Lightning Returns and stealing thunder from a release and all that.

Esura

Banned
God I hope not. Orihime is one of my most despised characters of all time. And I've had about enough fanservice to last me a life time due to Lightning Returns.

Hueco Mundo arc made you hate her huh? lol

Yuna is a human doormat with the personality depth of a four-day-old driveway puddle. The FF series has far better examples of good female characters than her. :)

Well she isn't a doormat by the end of the game. Yuna really develops into a strong individual after FFX. FFX-2 is like seeing Yuna reborned.

You said that you hope Stella has huge racks. And proceeded to justify it by saying you hope so with the expectation of her being the new female face for FF. There's an enthymeme here that you believe the size or a girl's rack dictates the importance of the female and her role in the game.

You making quite the leap there. I mean, the fact that I adore Yuna and Lightning and they aren't exactly well endowed females should tell you otherwise. I wish their breasts were bigger of course but it has no bearing on her importance to me or her role in the game to me. Although their sex appeal can only improve their appeal to me though so its more like a bonus. Like if you liked a piece of cake and you wish that the chef added a little more sugar in it. That's what this is.

Thorgal

Allright lets get away from big racks and anime cliche's and get back to topic .

Did Nomura ever say that all FF icons would be in this game (Moogles . Chocobo's . victory fanfare .a crystal theme etc.. ) ?

Most of these where missing in XIII .

And i hope Gilgamesh shows up again as a hidden boss .

Hedge

Allright lets get away from big racks and anime cliche's and get back to topic .

Did Nomura ever say that all FF icons would be in this game (Moogles . Chocobo's . victory fanfare .a crystal theme etc.. ) ?

He did confirm Moogles a la type-0 a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yes. Moogles specifically will be like the ones in Type-0.

Esura

Banned
Given that Nomura is aiming for realism here and not tired anime cliches, I think you'll be disappointed.

Nope. I'd still like it if its up to usual Nomura quality. I love anime cliches and if I could have it my way, add as many of them as I can in different RPGs but I don't only love anime cliches though. My tastes aren't that limited.

Wasn't you supposed to be able to ride on a Chocobo when this was still Versus XIII?

Famassu

Chocobos are in as well.

Not sure about the music. This is Shimomura's first FF so I'm not sure if she'll try to do her own arrangements of some old songs like Sakimoto in FFXII or do her own thing. Either way I'll be happy considering how wonderful Kingdom Hearts' comparable songs are (mostly, Dearly Beloved and how it has evolved during the years=. Nomura seems to be treating this as a quite traditional FF outside the more action-y gameplay, so anything's possible.

Mr. RHC

For the love of Sakaguchi, this!
Especially Prelude, Victory Fanfare, Mog and Chocobo is a must.
Not having Prelude(Crystal Theme) alone in full capacity out of all these things was a huge crime.

Thorgal

Chocobos are in as well.

Not sure about the music. This is Shimomura's first FF so I'm not sure if she'll try to do her own arrangements of some old songs like Sakimoto in FFXII or do her own thing. Either way I'll be happy considering how wonderful Kingdom Hearts' comparable songs are (mostly, Dearly Beloved and how it has evolved during the years=. Nomura seems to be treating this as a quite traditional FF outside the more action-y gameplay, so anything's possible.

Well for the most part the FF series still have great music ymmv.

for instance i loved this rendition of clash on the big bridge with classic Japanese instruments ( minus the guitar and drum).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAZXVv7azKA

Korigama

I didn't say that now. That said, her being enhanced will only be in her favor. A good character that's also really titillating? I'm game for that.

I mean, Yuna is one of the best FF females in the series and she is also adorable and hnng to boot.
While I don't mind Stella's change in appearance, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the sort of thing that led to some people getting up in arms about her more youthful look. Granted, I'm not particularly concerned about how Nomura and Nojima will characterize her, but I do picture those who are more pessimistic basing their own expectations on such reactions (regardless of how silly it is to judge based solely on appearances, or otherwise fret about direction based on reactions to said appearances by fans).

I wish their breasts were bigger of course but it has no bearing on her importance to me or her role in the game to me. Although their sex appeal can only improve their appeal to me though so its more like a bonus. Like if you liked a piece of cake and you wish that the chef added a little more sugar in it. That's what this is.

tumblr_m43iay0B8J1r4kp5uo1_500.gif

ANYWAY...

Do we know if that teleport ability we saw Noctis using going to be available at all times or just during certain scenes? Because I would imagine programming the entire game around that ability and concept would be rather difficult.

I never got the appeal of Gilgamesh.

Wanna give kudos for the great updates to the screencaps from the E3 trailers in the OP. So much detail to be had/seen in those hi-res pics.

For the love of Sakaguchi, this!
Especially Prelude, Victory Fanfare, Mog and Chocobo is a must.
Not having Prelude(Crystal Theme) alone in full capacity out of all these things was a huge crime.
A traditional victory fanfare is probably out, if combat is like Kingdom Hearts where there is no post-combat screen.

Hedge

I liked him in FFXII, but eh.. I think it's just that it's always fun to have a meta-character that appears in all games as an easter egg. A hidden boss or a reference somewhere.
At least I think it's fun. Like moogles and chocobos. :)

Thorgal

*He has a nice theme song
*He constantly breaks the 4th wall.
*and his quote's are pretty much viral internet memes ( don't even know if such a thing exists .lol )

I mean this is partly nostalgia talking here but it was always a joy to see him show up in the series.

A traditional victory fanfare is probably out, if combat is like Kingdom Hearts where there is no post-combat screen.

They could do the victory fanfare after you beat a boss or hunt like in XII.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I like Kingdom better than anything Uematsu did post-XII Main Theme.
Shimomura is perfectly okay. We'll have to see for battle themes, though - KH battle themes can't hold a candle to FF, neither classic uematsu ones (Still More Fightning, VII \ Dark Messanger, IX) nor to the modern ones (Blinded by the Light, XIII).
Not to say they're bad, but they're not exceptional. And from a FF, i expect exceptional music all-around.

Esura

Banned
Wii Fit Trainer. :)

Hmm, I must do research on her.

While I don't mind Stella's change in appearance, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the sort of thing that led to some people getting up in arms about her more youthful look. Granted, I'm not particularly concerned about how Nomura and Nojima will characterize her, but I do picture those who are more pessimistic basing their own expectations on such reactions (regardless of how silly it is to judge based solely on appearances, or otherwise fret about direction based on reactions to said appearances by fans).

Ah, I didn't think of that. I didn't mean to rile anyone up or anything.

Korigama

then make it an easter egg. Or maybe.

After clearing an area of enemies you can hear a subtle fanfare in the wind. Fuck they should hire me.
Or they could save it for bosses, as the case was with FFXII.

EDIT: Beaten.
Ah, I didn't think of that. I didn't mean to rile anyone up or anything.
No, it's fine. I just got tired of people who whined about what a travesty they considered the change to be (fortunately, it seems they've found better things to complain about).

Mr. RHC

then make it an easter egg. Or maybe.

After clearing an area of enemies you can hear a subtle fanfare in the wind. Fuck they should hire me.

This would be excellent, you can give a theme a lot of momentum during unexpected occasions!

Hired!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Has square said anything about this game addressing the shortcomings of ff13? I want to be excited for a ff game again.

It's an entirely different game. I wouldn't think they'd have to address anything about something unrelated except for its mythos.

Esura

Banned
Has square said anything about this game addressing the shortcomings of ff13? I want to be excited for a ff game again.

What shortcomings of FFXIII? If you mean linearity, XV looks open. If you mean the story and characters, different writers and what not. If you mean the battle system, completely different.

What shortcomings of FFXIII? If you mean linearity, XV looks open. If you mean the story and characters, different writers and what not. If you mean the battle system, completely different.

Every single shortcoming. Really looking for a mix of X and XII. I need to see a developer playthrough before getting excited.

Those are some... unique names.

Man this guy looks like someone I've seen before, maybe an actor?

He reminds me of a mixture of Helo from Battlestar Galactica and my younger brother.

Every single shortcoming. Really looking for a mix of X and XII. I need to see a developer playthrough before getting excited.

Square isn't going to trash XIII publicly, especially when XIII-3 isn't even out yet. But it's a completely different team with completely different design methodologies at work. Expect nothing from XIII to carry over.

Im sorry but i dont agree. See sunshine to galaxy.

That analogy doesn't follow; Sunshine and Galaxy were developed by the same team, while XIII and XV are developed by completely different parts of the company.

XV is developed by a mixture of the Kingdom Hearts team with members from the teams that worked on VII, XII and other games. Meanwhile, XIII and its ilk were developed largely by the people who made FFX.

You should expect it to be completely different, because that has been the point of XV even since when it was Versus.

That analogy doesn't follow; Sunshine and Galaxy were developed by the same team, while XIII and XV are developed by completely different parts of the company.

XV is developed by a mixture of the Kingdom Hearts team with members from the teams that worked on VII, XII and other games. Meanwhile, XIII and its ilk were developed largely by the people who made FFX.

You should expect it to be completely different, because that has been the point of XV even since when it was Versus.

Let me explain. Just because ffxiii and ffxv are made by two different teams does not mean that the two wont share the same design philosophies. Sunshine into galaxy does make sense. Nintendo heard the complaints from sunshine and non were present in galaxy. Linearity and a horrible story is something that i am very concerned about. Just because the game is made by a new team does not mean that the same mistakes wont be repeates.

And the team argument is irrelevant as teams change all the time. Bottom line: i hope square does not make this a linear snooze fest and i need to see a developer playthrough before i get excited.

Edit: yep. Saw the trailer. But fool me once and all that. Hell i loved bioshock one and hated infinite and that was the same team. And you brought up the kingdom hearts team. Kingdom hearts 2 sucked. Talk about awful and linear gameplay with a completely inane story.

Let me explain. Just because ffxiii and ffxv are made by two different teams does not mean that the two wont share the same design philosophies. Sunshine into galaxy does make sense. Nintendo heard the complaints from sunshine and non were present in galaxy. Linearity and a horrible story is something that i am very concerned about. Just because the game is made by a new team does not mean that the same mistakes wont be repeates.

And the team argument is irrelevant as teams change all the time. Bottom line: i hope square does not make this a linear snooze fest and i need to see a developer playthrough before i get excited.

They said explicitly over the past five years that XV is designed to be completely different than XIII. You're being completely difficult on purpose despite plenty of evidence.

Look, man. I'm a pessimist. Probably one of the biggest ones on GAF. But you're arguing against five years of Nomura being very open about his intentions and philosophies about the game. The reason it was called Final Fantasy Versus XIII in the first place is because it was designed at the base concept level to be different.

Voror

Honestly, if they are going for a Shakespearean vibe in the game, Smith is the guy to ask. His translations may not be super-literal, but they sound good and they give the characters far more personality than a straight transliteration would. Kind of like Ted Woolsey, but a lot more flowery and "stylish".

I'd say if they can get him, they should. Tactics Ogre's new translation was amazing.

Exactly, he seems a great fit given what Nomura seems to be going for. What are the chances of them bringing him in on it though? From what I gathered he was brought back for XII and some of the other Alliance games based on his past work with them such as Vagrant Story, though that is conjecture on my part.

Yes. Moogles specifically will be like the ones in Type-0.

That's a good choice to go off of though it might still be weird to see them in a world like this. Then again, I have trouble imagining Noctis riding a Chocobo as well.

Exactly, he seems a great fit given what Nomura seems to be going for. What are the chances of them bringing him in on it though? From what I gathered he was brought back for XII and some of the other Alliance games based on his past work with them such as Vagrant Story, though that is conjecture on my part.

They actually just brought him back in 2011 for the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I'm sure he'd be open to it if they asked him.

Aw, I hate that Kingdom Hearts Moogle design Nomura keeps using.

Better that than the bunnies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom