• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Hands-On Demo (Chapter 0-3) Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Holy sh*t, am completely sold if true!
Definitely a nice touch, though

Source: Videogamer preview
image_final_fantasy_xv-32693-2754_0052.jpg

It's true.

ViciousDS

Banned
image_final_fantasy_xv-32693-2754_0052.jpg

It's true.

is that gamersyde uncompressed? because......wow.....it does need some work. In motion it probably looks fantastic. I'm guessing some AA is used post and doesn't show up in screens. I remember watch dogs having the same issue in their screenshots....but it looked fine when I played it.

Ran rp

Combat feels way better than in every previous demo. After some initial confusion I felt fully in control, and while the game pits you against monsters early on I felt it really came into its own once it started giving you humanoid soldiers to fight.

Hype

Ran rp

which preview is this from? I have read a couple so far.

This one.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/16/fi...nderful-and-definitely-in-need-of-that-delay/

But they did mention the hold mechanic so I'm a little skeptical.

is that gamersyde uncompressed? because......wow.....it does need some work. In motion it probably looks fantastic. I'm guessing some AA is used post and doesn't show up in screens. I remember watch dogs having the same issue in their screenshots....but it looked fine when I played it.

Go visit the new screenshot thread.

Cry.

Voror

Some of the articles seems more tempered and cautious in particular about the combat and their fears about it seem valid ones to me. Hopefully it does come together on that front since it feels like the main thing that will be getting worked out over the next few months is the graphics and such, which do need quite a bit of work.

ViciousDS

Banned
PSY・S;213875757 said:
Go visit the new screenshot thread.

Cry.

I'd rather not. I'm a lot more lenient then others towards graphics......I can imagine what it's already like in that thread lol

artsi

Nope, they're video screenshots (from the 50 minute video) and compressed.

PSY・S;213875508 said:

Sounds about right. The humanoid enemies in Episode Duscae were far and away the most engaging opponents, and that was with a totally different battle system.

Wonder if this'll end up like KH in the sense the the humanoid opponents/bosses end up being the best designed enemies from a combat standpoint.

galvenize

But Neogaf told me it was thrash...

They should not be ashamed to delay it to 2017 tho.

Insert Miyamoto quote here

After hearing good things about the preview, I'm okay with this too. I mean I'd rather wait one more year to polish an already good game than waiting two more months for a terrible one.

Jarmel

Banned
From some of the impressions, the game feels restrictive in certain areas such as the car which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.

wmlk

Sounds about right. The humanoid enemies in Episode Duscae were far and away the most engaging opponents, and that was with a totally different battle system.

Wonder if this'll end up like KH in the sense the the humanoid opponents/bosses end up being the best designed enemies from a combat standpoint.
It absolutely is. It's a foregone conclusion by now lol.

From some of the impressions, the game feels restrictive in certain areas such as the car which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.
That might change with the inclusion of Airship.

Game is close as the story progresses and gradually becomes more open, etc.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Game in motion has problems with the hair like that, I wish they'd just go back to the softer Ep. Duscae look resolution be damned.

Jarmel

Banned
That might change with the inclusion of Airship.

Game is close as the story progresses and gradually becomes more open, etc.

Things like not being able to ram enemies feels like a permanent decision for a number of reasons. If you ram an enemy then there would be damage to the car and thus there might have to be a car repair gameplay aspect, which right now only seems to be main narrative tied. I'm also guessing that the driving mechanics aren't that elaborate and so if you gave the player full control, they might try to drive through a forest which could be a nightmare for the programmers. They might also have to build in collision damages if players hit another car and so and so forth.

The car is not meant to be driven like gta and the game isn't the traditional open world. It's like FF12

I get that but it nonetheless comes off as a bit restrictive because you still are driving the car at certain points so it's taking the agency away from the player. It comes across as a half-measure in some ways.

ViciousDS

Banned
Gamersyde just adds those to screenshots they upload.. the images are from SE marketing who thought it's a good idea to just capture stuff from the video, lol.

I don't understand how SE has got so bad at marketing this game.....it blows my mind.

Also....remember what pausing did in the platinum demo? It fixed the hair by like 75%. What kind of AA solution are they using that makes it worse when in motion. I remember if a character or object was still long enough the dithering would reduce or go away.

Ishida

Banned
Things like not being able to ram enemies feels like a permanent decision for a number of reasons. If you ram an enemy then there would be damage to the car and thus there might have to be a car repair gameplay aspect, which right now only seems to be main narrative tied. I'm also guessing that the driving mechanics aren't that elaborate and so if you gave the player full control, they might try to drive through a forest which could be a nightmare for the programmers. They might also have to build in collision damages if players hit another car and so and so forth.

The car CAN get damaged, though. And you need to get it repaired. During the last trailer you can get a glimpse of a very battered Regalia.

Jarmel

Banned
The car CAN get damaged, though. And you need to get it repaired. During the last trailer you can get a glimpse of a very battered Regalia.

Was that main narrative related? In the 50 minute video it seemed more tied to story events than something that can just randomly happen.

Zedark

PR likely had access to the Master version but instead of taking their own direct feed screenshots, they just took one from video. This is not the first time they have done so.

It is really unbelievable how horrible the marketing for this game is. People must be getting fired left and right in that sector: they are doing their job absolutely horribly with things like this.

Ran rp

It is really unbelievable how horrible the marketing for this game is. People must be getting fired left and right in that sector: they are doing their job absolutely horribly with things like this.

No, the problem is that they probably aren't lol.

Oh boy... have I got some bad news for you.

The car
is the airship.

I know, I watched that lame uncovered event. That's why I'm saying the car is half assed, not the airship part. Thank god they put that back or the car would be just a roller coaster ride. I remember them saying something like they weren't sure if airships would be ready for the initial release.

Kremzeek

(from the Ars Technica impressions)
there are times where, having been fooled into thinking that FFXV has proper real-time combat—the sort that you might see from industry experts Platinum Games—the slow response of the attack button and the odd timing of the dodge and parry prompts make everything feel sluggish and wrong.

how can this not have been fixed yet?! the sluggishness of the combat has been universally hated since the original Duscae demo!

I know, I watched that lame uncovered event. That's why I'm saying the car is half assed, not the airship part. Thank god they put that back or the car would be just a roller coaster ride. I remember them saying something like they weren't sure if airships would be ready for the initial release.

Even IRL no one would ever take the car off-road in a terrain like that and besides that's what chocobos are for - chocobos can go off road, jump and even help you in combat.

The car has a radio and drives you automatically or you can drive it manually what more could you possibly want the car to do?

If the car could do everything, it seems like there would be no need Chocobos.
There's gotta be a balance.

JpGames from Germany also played the Game

http://jpgames-forum.de/jpgames-de-...pielt-final-fantasy-xv/index2.html#post674637

All in all he was really satisfied with the Game and said it brought back the old Final Fantasy Feelings

some points he mentioned (more in the article)

Pro:
-Happy with the english Snychro - not that much with the German one
-Great Chemistry between the 4 Guys - Funny & Emotional
-Praising the combat (different feeling to Platinum due the menu options)
-Not as easy as people think - on Normal you won't be able to just play the game by holding attack
-MiniGames were really fun and well included

Cons:

Graphic -- downgrade
wider areas really bad (details, pop ups,) - howerver Linear areas look good with more details
- Driving - KI does the main job

Ran rp

Even IRL no one would ever take the car off-road in a terrain like that and besides that's what chocobos are for - chocobos can go off road, jump and even help you in combat.

The car has a radio and drives you automatically or you can drive it manually what more could you possibly want the car to do?

it would be cool if it got magic upgrades

even something like a shield that let's you drive through giants :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom